Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
NEW to OCM, PLEASE HELP!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lucy3368

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Just a few questions for new and experienced OCM users. Firstly, is it usual to break out when you first start using it? Do you need to wash your face with regular face wash some nights a week too (I use revlon absolute c) ? i have read this confuses your skin, is it true? How often do you do this? Hope you can help me !! Very Happy
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Lucy3368 wrote:
Just a few questions for new and experienced OCM users. Firstly, is it usual to break out when you first start using it? Do you need to wash your face with regular face wash some nights a week too (I use revlon absolute c) ? i have read this confuses your skin, is it true? How often do you do this? Hope you can help me !! Very Happy

Hi Lucy3368, I think everyone does the OCM differently. There are those who use nothing but OCM. Some change up the oils. Some alternate with a cleanser. Some use it with a cleanser. Some use it a few days a week and use nothing in between (That would be me--I do plain water washes every now and then...just coz I think too much of anything is bad, and believe in "moderation in all things"). I don't think your skin will be confused. I suppose a lot of people came up with their OCM regimen using trial and error.

And yes, many people do go through some sort of purging when they start OCM, where their skin seems to get worse before it gets better. There's a long thread on OCM which you may find helpful as I am sure in it you may see some of your own experiences echoed in others and learn what people did to counteract any negative effects you might experience...or get some reassurance that your experience is not uncommon: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7077

ETA: You asked how often we do OCM. I personally don't have a schedule. I love plain water washes so much (where I let the showerhead spray warm water on my face while I use a clean white facecloth to "scrub gently" and remove the dirt) that I may do two consecutive ones then do an OCM before returning to plain water washes. I only do these washes at night after a day of exposure to dirt and pollution. In the AM, I just do lukewarm water splashes, then dry with a paper towel.
lizzip85
5% products discount

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lucy
I too recently started OCM about a month ago.
Since starting-I have revised the castor oil/olive oil combo I use. When I first started I think I was using way to much castor oil-I think that's what was making me break out-I wasn't able to remove it all because it's so thick! Now I use 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 olive oil, and 1/3 grape-seed oil, and I love it! I rinse my face is super hot water in the shower-use the oil combo and rub for a good 1-3 minutes, rinse a ton with water-then I use a super soft wash cloth (maybe you could try miscro-fiber) and GENTLY rub the remainder off.
Also-This is all I use to wash my face. Maybe try only washing your face once a day with oil? I think using to many things will cause your skin to be unbalanced, cause your PH to be off. Hope this helps!
Lucy3368

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys so much for your replies. I have just started and i am using the beauty essentials Facial cleansing buff with just water in the mornings. Do you think the buff will work like your products?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Lucy3368 wrote:
Thanks guys so much for your replies. I have just started and i am using the beauty essentials Facial cleansing buff with just water in the mornings. Do you think the buff will work like your products?

Lucy3368 as you will find from the thread I linked to, different strokes work for different folks, so it's really hard for someone who hasn't tried both your buff method and another to be able to assess if they will work the same. Also every skin responds differently, and my idea of "working" may be different from yours.

Put another way, you'll probably be the best judge of whether what you're doing works for you.

Your last line assumes we all use other products. I do not. In the morning I don't even use a face cloth. I just splash my face with lukewarm water and wipe it off with a paper towel. And because I personally haven't used a buff, I cannot tell you if it'd work the same way as plain water splashes work for me since I can't compare something I've never done.

I do know that frequent exfoliation--which I am guessing the buff would be doing (forgive me if I've got this all wrong but I'm picturing some buffing sponge?)--would irritate my sensitive skin, so while some people could benefit from that, I know I wouldn't.

So again, it's all up to the individual. Try it, and if it doesn't hurt you in any way or thwart your efforts to get a good skincare regimen, then continue to do it. Experience is the best teacher and will tell you more than another person whose skin type and skin history is different from yours could.
Lucy3368

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, ill give trial and error a go. Your advice had been very helpful though in pointing me in the right direction Smile
faeriepretty

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
lizzip85 wrote:
Hi Lucy
I too recently started OCM about a month ago.
Since starting-I have revised the castor oil/olive oil combo I use. When I first started I think I was using way to much castor oil-I think that's what was making me break out-I wasn't able to remove it all because it's so thick! Now I use 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 olive oil, and 1/3 grape-seed oil, and I love it! I rinse my face is super hot water in the shower-use the oil combo and rub for a good 1-3 minutes, rinse a ton with water-then I use a super soft wash cloth (maybe you could try miscro-fiber) and GENTLY rub the remainder off.
Also-This is all I use to wash my face. Maybe try only washing your face once a day with oil? I think using to many things will cause your skin to be unbalanced, cause your PH to be off. Hope this helps!

I just started today and used the same ratios, 1/3 castor, 1/3 olive, 1/3 grapeseed and a few drops of tea tree oil.
I'm not sure if it's the right ratio for me. After I finished (and with other facial cleansers) my skin was just a little tight and slightly peeling in some areas. However, during the day and into the night, I get pretty oily.

Any suggestions on how to adjust my oils?
Thanks!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:47 am      Reply with quote
I'd lower the amount of castor (drying) and the olive oil (greasy) and increase the grapeseed (which I find more balancing). So maybe 25/25/50 And I'm a little sensitive to tea tree, so I'd use less of that too, but that's all just me. Maybe someone else has some thoughts?

And instead of "super hot water" which doesn't sound very good for the face, pls try cooling it down a bit! I'm a hot shower person too, but hot water on the face, and even taking a cloth to it during/afterwards sounds dangerous.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:54 am      Reply with quote
I've been off the forum for a bit, but I'm a long lover of OCM. I hadn't heard of using tea tree oil. Not that it's a bad oil, but I seriously prefer lemon or ylang ylang for the face. If I had to choose-ylang ylang.

I've gotten a bit lazy and just skip the essential oils most often now. You can try that. It could be the tea tree oil is causing a reaction.

I just popped on here to introduce another female to the wonders of OCM and EDS. That's how I started anyway. lol

I didn't really have any issues with OCM except when I was finding the right ratio for me. If the castor was too high...then the tight feeling and a little flaking.

For me: summer 1/1/1 castor/EVOO/Grapeseed. Winter: 1/1 EVOO/castor

It's all about finding your right ratio.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |