Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Best product for Frizzy hair?! Tried everything
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yvy1
5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I noticed a few people have posted hair care questions, so I thought this would be ok. I need some help and everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable. I'm at my wit's end.

I have fine, frizzy hair. If left alone, may or may not curl (not defined curls) I look more like I stuck my finger in a socket. I've had the japanese hair straightening for a few years now, and I LOVE IT! But when I get regrowth, it's back to battling the frizzies. At least now I only have to worry aobut the first couple inches. So I get a major halo in the summer, no amount of blowdrying seems to work.

Every product I've seen is thick and says to apply from mid shaft to ends. The bulk of my frizzies are at the crown. And since I have thin hair/oily scalp it just doesn't work. Does anyone have this problem or know of a great defrizzer I can get that's not heavy for my thin hair, and that I can apply to the crown, near the scalp without greasing it up?

I've tried frizz-eaze (does nothing), living proff, and a lot more. Hoping there is a hidden gem out there.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Don't know if I can be of any use but I have curly hair, would have told you fluffy/ poofy/ wavy/ frizzy up to last year. Spent decades battling my hair and never found any products or techniques to reliably keep my hair smooth and straight. I now follow Curly Girl techniques and my entire family is in shock that at almost 40 I suddenly have defined ringlets. It's also in good enough condition not to have needed trimming in ten months, although I am still growing out serious mechanical and chemical damage!

Even if you are not ready to embrace your curls, you might consider following some of the techniques? Firstly I never use sulphate shampoos nor silicone conditioners. Instead I conditioner-only wash (fine hairs prefer a sulphate-free shampoo), then use a leave-in oil-based but non greasy conditioner. Never brush only comb, never use terry towel only microfibre (some use cotton t-shirts). I style with silicone and alcohol free products which do not coat, grease or dry the hair. I deep condition with coconut oil because this contains fatty acids small enough to penetrate the hair shaft. The rest of the 'rules' are only relevant if you wish to style your hair curly.

I can honestly tell you my hair calmed down and my scalp became less oily from the first week of stopping using sulphates and silicones! BTW research shows sulphates can cause hair loss/ thinning in susceptible individuals - my mother definitely has this. This is the thread that gave me my Idea moment, realising I was not the only one with totally unmanageable hair! http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
yvy1
5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, I do go organic and sulfate free, I do not use silicones or alcohol ingredients. It's not a matter of not wanting curls, I don't want frizz. It's crimpy hair that sticks out all over at the crown and before my japanese straightening, would pouf everywhere else at the first sign of humidity. (I live in South Florida). If it would curl or wave nicely, I'd been happy. Cotton hair, not so much.

I have to do a lot of blow drying close to the scalp just to tame it down and I feel that's been making my hair weak and breaking off there, causing more short frizzies that stick out. I've always had this. Should see my junior high school pics. LOL. Ponytail up and halo effect all over. Huge head. lol
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you need to go full Curly Girl to tame the rest of that frizz? I know what you mean about humidity, although it is not that humid here in the UK I have a perspiration problem plus a physical job! I spent MANY years with my hair in a ponytail literally 24/7 - halo of fluff around the face unless I brushed it wet and hairsprayed the hell out of it. Repeatedly all through my work shift, even quiet ones. Even without heat styling I had breaks all around the face and all at the back where the ponytail sat. That is what made me change, I really didn't feel I had anything to lose.

There is a lot of talk on curly hair forums about the best conditioning agents (humectants or not), and best styling products for different climates. Speaking for myself keeping the curls defined with little to no halo means styling from wet (just hand squeezed no towel whatsoever), scrunch in too much leave-in conditioner, scrunch in an INCREDIBLE amount of gel right up to the roots, so it is sticky and gross! No messing after this; it looks like curly rats tails until it is completely dry then magically looks decent. I honestly tried every single corner cut there is and it doesn't work. Air drying works best but I can use a diffuser/ low heat/ low speed stopping before it is dry. No combs, no toweling off, no touching, no wind, no fans, no AC, otherwise the roots and ends fluff or I get straight rats tails or even both!

I hope you will take the time to look at that thread, the before shots show girls with just fluff or an afro and everything in between. I honestly believe CG can work for anyone but it does take practice and perseverance. You have to learn to treat your hair a totally different way, and obviously try a few products before you find the ones that suit your hair. It's tough for those growing out relaxing or keratin treatments because they have some curlier and some straighter hair, but girls make it through. I wish I could help you find straight hair nirvana, but I never did and no hairdresser ever did on my behalf. Best of luck!

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
yvy1
5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks!
I'm not trying to grow out my hair, and my natural hair is not curly. It is wavy at best, it's just frizzy.

I will, though, try to switch to a T-shirt to dry. Interesting concept...

I just wanted to see if anyone had a great product recommendation for thin hair that I can apply close to the root without too much of an oily or greasy result.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Hair cannot be frizzy unless it is curly/ wurly, if it was straight under a microscope each strand would lie flat next to the other. You just cannot see your curl pattern because you are not treating your hair right. You have no idea just how many girls swear their hair is not curly only to find it is, my own mother cannot believe my curls and she has known me almost 40 years! Anyone who 'force' their hair to be straighter on a regular basis (flat iron/ blow dry/ brushing/ towel turban/ keratin treatment) won't get proper curl the first few washes, the internal protein structure of hair 'remembers' what it is used to being allowed to do. I thought the back of my hair was straight fluff and the front curly for weeks after I went CG, I was ready to get the back permed! If you don't want to believe that is up to you, like I say I wish you all the best.

yvy1
5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
OK, so maybe I have some curl.
Like I said before, it's the frizz I want to tame. And the new growth frizzes just by looking at it. So, being new hair, it's doing what the DNA tells it to do. I just want to find a product that can tame it, or allow it to lay flat.

Having tried a lot of products, I just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions or have some holy grail frizz fighter in their arsenal I may not have heard of.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
oil tames frizz....

I suggest rubbing coconut oil or argan oil into your palms, then running in through your hair.

works for me when all else fails.

BFG
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is thick but very curly. I used to have big issues with frizz till I started treating it with oil. Not a hot oil treatment, but a dry oil every single day. Now I don't have any frizziness at all. You have to treat the whole health of the hair. The naturally curly website was my first step in discovering this. Now I have it down to a fine science. And no sulfates. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
phytodefrisant
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Your hair sounds exactly like mine used to be. I gave up trying to control the wave, and now my hair is healthy, and I haven't seen a halo or a split end in years. This is why: I don't even own a comb or brush anymore. I gently work the tangles out in the shower with my fingers and a slippery conditioner. I blow dry only on cold days, dryer on low heat, lifting sections of hair to gently dry the roots without causing damage.

My hair is so fine it tends to "flyaway" so pure Jojoba oil has been my holy grail hair product for 10 years. It's all I use because nothing else I've tried works as well (and I tried it all!) I buy jojoba oil at any health food store, rub about five drops between my palms and distribute over towel-dried hair, concentrating on the ends. It's light weight and doesn't make my hair look greasy in a few hours like products with silicone and dimethicone. You can even apply a few drops to dry hair to smooth it down after sleeping.

Board-straight hair is so popular these days, a lot of girls can't bear the thought of letting their hair do what comes natural. Wavy hair is beautiful (most guys in polls prefer it!) but we get so used to thinking our hair has to lie flat against our heads, that we can't see the beauty in the wave! I can't even count how many women have told me they love my hair but when I encourage them to stop blowing theirs straight, they're horrified at the thought! Shock Shock Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:20 am      Reply with quote
My hair is so much tamer and easier to manage since I switched to non-SLS products (I use the Louise Galvin Sacred Locks range for curly hair).

I've also learnt some tricks along the way, along the lines of those described by Firefox (no brushing, best to air dry, no fiddling with it whilst hair is drying, no blowdrying). However, I shall be following some of the other tips she mentioned to see if they improve things further.

After many years, I eventually discovered that it is far better to work WITH your hair than AGAINST it by, so no forcing it to do what it doesn't want to do. Very Happy
CLxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:58 am      Reply with quote
When blow dry my hair straight, I use an ionic hair blow dryer together with a brush which claims to be able to reduce production of -ve ions, it helps.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
yvy1 wrote:
Hi, I noticed a few people have posted hair care questions, so I thought this would be ok. I need some help and everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable. I'm at my wit's end.

I have fine, frizzy hair. If left alone, may or may not curl (not defined curls) I look more like I stuck my finger in a socket. I've had the japanese hair straightening for a few years now, and I LOVE IT! But when I get regrowth, it's back to battling the frizzies. At least now I only have to worry aobut the first couple inches. So I get a major halo in the summer, no amount of blowdrying seems to work.

Every product I've seen is thick and says to apply from mid shaft to ends. The bulk of my frizzies are at the crown. And since I have thin hair/oily scalp it just doesn't work. Does anyone have this problem or know of a great defrizzer I can get that's not heavy for my thin hair, and that I can apply to the crown, near the scalp without greasing it up?

I've tried frizz-eaze (does nothing), living proff, and a lot more. Hoping there is a hidden gem out there.

This is what I do and it helped a lot.

I put some macadamia oil in my dry hair:
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/macadamia-nut-organic-carrier-oil-p-2032.html

Then I shampoo my hair with this:
http://www.komenukabijin.co/hair-care/komenuka-bijin-daily-hair-shampoo

I don't use a lot of shampoo and then I apply my conditioner from Kerastase from the mint green packaging.

Sometimes I use Moroccan oil on the ends of my hair.

I don't use the blow dryer & sometimes my fine hair is in velcro rollers to change my style a bit.
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Firefox's suggestions. I too have surprised my mum at the age of nearly 40, stayed overnight at her place once a couple of years back, showered & CO washed my hair & when i came in the lounge room, she was like "how come your hair is so curly?", lol.
I always use aloe vera gel to tame any hairs that stick up/out when my hair is tied back for work. I use Fruit of the Earth brand. Works better than any expensive hairspray and doesn't leave an oily look.
jcreely

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I use nature's secret argan oil conditioner...NO FRIZZ. this conditioner has been working great for me. I always had an issue with growing my hair long because it would get so damaged, and I would have to get it cut significantly to get rid of the split ends. But since I have been using the argan oil conditioner, my hair has been healthier and growing faster. I buy the conditioner from arganconditioner dot com but they don't have a shampoo. Can anyone suggest a good argan based shampoo. I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have thin, fine, curly/wavy hair too that can get frizzy.

What I do is wash everyday with a very moisturizing sulfate free shampoo and then use a ton of moisturizing conditioner in the shower. I like the Giovanni moisturizing shampoo and conditioner right now.

Then I towel dry my hair and use a light leave in spray - I alternate between Bumble and Bumble Prep and Giovanni Vitapro Fusion leave in treatment. I comb my hair through to remove any tangles and distribute the leave in.

All the products I use - the conditioner in the shower and the leave ins, I apply all through my hair, including at the roots - I'm generous with the products. I used to think that because I have thin hair, and am prone to oily roots, I shouldn't apply conditioners on my scalp, but actually I've noticed a big improvement in my hair now that I have.

I don't blow dry my hair, and then when it gets just damp, I put it in a bun and let it finish drying that way - the bun smooths away any remaining frizz that might come.
jcreely

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
i forgot to let everyone know in my last post where they can find the conditioner i use. arganconditioner dot com
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the Curls hair line.
It is supposed to be for "mixed" people and seems more targeted to African American hair.

I use the Curls GellesC? it is like a liquid hair gel/serum and not greasy at all, no silicone or alcohol.

their website iswww.curls.biz

http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-products/curl-gel-les-c-hair-style.html

Target also sells some of the Curls line but they gave them weird names for the same products, it seems.

It could also be your hair elastics?
I used to buy the silicone ones and the hair stay ones that are not supposed to break your hair and they always did.

I just bought some elastics from France Luxe.com and they are amazing!

http://www.franceluxe.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FL&Product_Code=LI2600&Category_Code=

-usually I would not pay $12 for only 5 elastics, but these actually stay in my somewhat fine and curly hair when regular elastics are always too slippery.
-I bought a package of 5 colored ones and now this week am back to get the all black ones....
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I like Living Proof's original line. Not what they have out right now, but the products they put out right when they started. You can still find them on the 'bay for really great prices.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:08 am      Reply with quote
I would like to add that sometimes there comes a time when all the conditioning and oils/sprays, etc. in the world won't help. I am speaking of internal health issues which drive changes in hair texture.

Based on experience, the only thing that works is a smoothing or straightening treatment, probably best left to the hands of a professional.

BFG
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I would like to add that sometimes there comes a time when all the conditioning and oils/sprays, etc. in the world won't help. I am speaking of internal health issues which drive changes in hair texture.

Based on experience, the only thing that works is a smoothing or straightening treatment, probably best left to the hands of a professional.

BFG

So true
missyickes
5% products discount

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 am      Reply with quote
I agree. Have you tried a hair/skin/nails vitamin? Or supplements of flax oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil, or fish oil? Obviously not a quick fix, as this could take many months to see improvements. Have you ever tried WEN? It's expensive, but I love it for my fine, thin hair. I won't use anything else to shampoo anymore. I also use pure argan oil. I find it less oily looking than jojoba on my hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

True, most of the time.

If you have access to actual salon professional products and know how to use them, you can do some stuff yourself.

I used to do the Sebastian Colorshine treatment on myself and can buy or order that in any of the colours or clear that they carry.

A lot of salons also sell this as a extra "treatment" it is like a clear gloss that usually lasts 2 or 3 weeks and makes your hair very shiny.

I stopped using it prob because I do not swim as much and my hair is usually pretty smooth.
I am now tempted to go out and get the store/salon I go to to order me a tube/bottle.

last I recall I think I paid $50-60 for 300ml or a pretty large size.

I think there is a similar product from the drugstore now, but not really sure how that works as I usually buy salon colour and do that muself (the salon I go to also sells the products they use and is a beauty supply or more a hair supply shop)
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Use coconut oil as an overnight treatment then clarify the next day to get rid of build-up. Wash all the coconut oil out and deep condition. Spray a basic anti-frizz styling product on:
http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/bumble-and-bumble-styling-lotion/685428007024/144268

I used to use sulfate-free shampoo but have found it doesn't make the difference I thought it did.

Frizz can also be due to hair damage; cutting off an inch or so can help.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |