Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Long term effects of medication use on skin and aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
celtickate

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I am asking this as I have just started taking Topiramate (Topamax as a believe it is known in the States). This is an antiepileptic drug which I have been given to help prevent severe migraines.

I'm not keen on taking medication long term but as my migraines were becoming so chronic I had feel I have to give these drugs a chance.

One of my concerns is how Topiramate might affect the aging process. I am aware that some antiepileptic drug can cause loss of bone density which is obviously a concern. When I asked my neurologist about this he felt that only much higher doses over a long period of time would be a problem. He also pointed out that Topiramate reduces blood glucose levels and so if anything should slow down the aging process as well as helping with weightloss and preventing migraine. He pointed out that many long term diabetics who are good at managing their condition look younger than they are due to insulin and other such drugs. I have no idea if this is true I only know a couple of diabetic men in their 30's and they do look younger but possibly more down to being careful with alcohol intake and less partying.

I have tried to do some research into this drug and have found a study into use of topiramate as a treatment for scaring. Apparently it reduces the amount of calcium in the blood and as a knock on effect prevents the over production of collagen and scar tissue which can soften the appearance of even old scars (not sure if I can post links?).
While this sounds good I always thought that to keep my skin youthful I wanted to boost collagen production in my skin. It also apparently removes some oestrogens from the blood and would that not also have a negative effect on skin?

I guess for me only time will tell but I am interested in how long term medication use can effect your skin and aging process.

Your thoughs and experiances of this would me much appreciated!
dchickb
5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Have you considered Botox for migraine treatment, and you get the added bonus of an unlined forehead!
You can only weigh up the pros and cons of the drug you're taking when you see how it affects your migraines, but botox might be worth looking into as an alternative. I don't know anything about epileptic medication, but you'd have to check that botox is safe in conjunction with it. Read "Gossmakeupartist" on youtube - he has a post about his own experiences with botox for migraines. Hope that helps!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:57 am      Reply with quote
dchickb wrote:
Have you considered Botox for migraine treatment, and you get the added bonus of an unlined forehead!
You can only weigh up the pros and cons of the drug you're taking when you see how it affects your migraines, but botox might be worth looking into as an alternative. I don't know anything about epileptic medication, but you'd have to check that botox is safe in conjunction with it. Read "Gossmakeupartist" on youtube - he has a post about his own experiences with botox for migraines. Hope that helps!

I believe Keliu also suffers with migraines and has botox to relieve them, as I recall a few member have gotten relief as well with botox alone no meds.

Mon May 27, 2013 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
i'm really curious about this. i've lurked on eds for ages (already mastered the tanaka massage and everything else. thanks, you guys!) Bad Grin i've also been concerned about topamax causing aging via these means... not only because of the strange way it affects scar tissues, but possible hair loss at greater dosages. i'm taking biotin/silica to hopefully NOT have that problem. at my current (standard) dosage for migraines with my arsenal of beauty supplements, i haven't experienced any of that, but then i've only taken it for 3 months or so now. i'm going back to my neuro soon to ask about some of these pressing concerns of mine. any other topamax users concerned about the way it could impact your looks? fwiw, i also have gained weight after an initial loss of a few pounds, but then, i also quit smoking (something i also think the drug helped out with.)
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |