Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How to get rid of brown spots on chest - retin A?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cheysuli
5% products discount

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:48 am      Reply with quote
I have brown spots on my chest, hands and arms. I started using Retin A about a month ago.

it got red and itchy on my chest but not too bad, however it seems there are more tiny brown spots and freckles now as well as skin tags.

is this temporary? I hear with retin A it gets worse before it gets better. or is this a sign it is not working?

on my arms and hands no redness or itchiness but not seeing results yet.

does retin A work to get rid of brown spots on chest? hands? arms? if so, how long does it take? what dosage?

much appreciate your feedback!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 am      Reply with quote
What has your dermatologist, family doctor or pharmacist advised? Presumably you are using a high SPF zinc oxide sunblock daily? And adhering to the recommended wait times/ skin pH adjustment after cleansing? A month is a very short period of time to expect results, be patient this is a long term treatment! Some people say Retin-A brings damage to the surface before eliminating it. Dosage depends on what your skin can tolerate, thicker or oilier skin tends to need or tolerate higher percentages.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
cheysuli
5% products discount

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am      Reply with quote
will visit derm in 2 weeks. my chest does not see the sun. it is winter where I live. so no sun issue. but I have also used it on my hands and had no problems and was wondering if the problem with the chest is that it gets so little exposure to the air - as compared to the hands. wondering if it works on the chest area. worried about damage. or is it just - as you say - bringing old damage to the surface and then will slough that off? very concerned though about the new brown areas.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I meant what did your derm already advise about which areas to use Retin-A on, dosage, when you should expect to see results? Why do you think air has anything to do with it, presumably your clothing is not occlusive?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
cheysuli
5% products discount

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
have you used Retin A?
I say how much air skin gets is a factor because the skin on the face and hands exfoliate the most naturally because they are most exposed to the air - so treatments like Retin A that work through bringing forward layers that are then sloughed off, work best on areas that are exposed the most. my hands are doing fine with the Retin A - I see a bit of fading of the spots and no redness or itching at all. totally different from my chest which seems to have more brown spots and redness and itching when I use the RA
cheysuli
5% products discount

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
haven't seen derm yet. was given first perscription by my GP who didn't know too much about it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
The chest area is a lot more sensitive to Retin A than other areas. With itching and redness, I would tell you to stop using until you talk to your derm. If you don't want to stop, then just use a very small pea size and only a few nights a week starting out.
cheysuli
5% products discount

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
the redness and itching isn't that bad. when it gets to be too much I just skip a day. my main concern is that it seems like there are more brown spots than before. is this damaged skin coming to the surface to be sloughed off? or is this a sign I should stop it? (I use .05 and sometimes alternate with .025)
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
cheysuli wrote:

I say how much air skin gets is a factor because the skin on the face and hands exfoliate the most naturally because they are most exposed to the air - so treatments like Retin A that work through bringing forward layers that are then sloughed off, work best on areas that are exposed the most.

AFAIK hands exfoliate partly because of how much we use them and wash them, not because of exposure to the air. Hands and face are more exposed to UV light and the elements generally, not air. Question

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
cheysuli wrote:
the redness and itching isn't that bad. when it gets to be too much I just skip a day. my main concern is that it seems like there are more brown spots than before. is this damaged skin coming to the surface to be sloughed off? or is this a sign I should stop it? (I use .05 and sometimes alternate with .025)

I am sorry, but I honestly do not know about the more brown spots. I have never had that happen to me! Maybe you should hold off and check with your derm, just to be on the safe side?
cheysuli
5% products discount

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl, have you used Retin A on the chest? do you know of others who have? is it effective on the chest. I have seen conflicting info on the web about using it on the chest.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
cheysuli, skin is skin. And everyone is different. If you're experiencing irritation, you should stop.

And it sounds like you think sun protection isn't important. It is. Its crucial when using retin A, especially if you're getting spots.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
cheysuli
5% products discount

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
its winter where I live, my chest never ever sees the sun.

have you used Retin A on your chest?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
cheysuli wrote:
Rileygirl, have you used Retin A on the chest? do you know of others who have? is it effective on the chest. I have seen conflicting info on the web about using it on the chest.

Yes, I have and do but I only use a pea size amount for my neck/chest area, and only apply 2 nights a week. I don't have any problems, but everyone is different. (I do agree with LoriA. Even though it is winter, the sun is still out and clothes only offer a minimal amount of protection. I would definitely check out some physical sunscreens that have zinc or titanium dioxide in them!)
cheysuli
5% products discount

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
cheysuli wrote:

Yes, I have and do but I only use a pea size amount for my neck/chest area, and only apply 2 nights a week. I don't have any problems, but everyone is different.

has the Retin A been effective in getting rid of brown spots on your chest? what dosage do you use? how long did it take for the spots to fade?
havana8

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
cheysuli wrote:
I started using Retin A (first .025 then .050) about a 5 weeks ago on my hands and chest to get rid of brown spots. I used sunblock. The hands are fine - I even see a bit of fading of the spots. But on my chest there are more brown spots now than before I started - well, not so much typical "age spots" rather small spots of brown pigmentation - a lot of it. It looks awful!

I have read in some places that RA can first expose spots under the surface of the skin before it sloughs off and has the desired effect. Is this true? do others have experience with this?? or is this a sign it is not working and to stop?

why would Retin A work well on my hands but make my chest worse?

For now I have stopped using it til I can see my dermatologist next week. All I want to do now is get rid of these horrid spots!

Does anyone have experience getting rid of brown spots caused by Retin A? does Vitamin C serum work? how about Avacado oil? any feedback greatly appreciated!
havana8

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
cheysuli wrote:
Does anyone have experience getting rid of brown spots caused by Retin A? does Vitamin C serum work? how about Avacado oil? any feedback greatly appreciated!

cheysuli, not sure if this will help you, but here is the Avocado oil thread:

Avocado oil getting rid of keratoses (brown spots)
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25158

I'm sure others will pop in with more suggestions. Good luck with your skin journey! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |