Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Facial massage, pinching, pulling, dry brushing, etc...???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 am      Reply with quote
There is so much to learn on this sight. Right now I am most interested in information on facial exercise. But I keep reading lots of posts about how doing them along with either facial massage, dry brushing and pulling/tugging the skin helps to make the skin either thicker or firmer.

Does anyone find any one of these techniques is better at firming/thickening the skin than another? Is it even more beneficial to do maybe a the skin tugs and use a gentle brushing, or would that be too much and unnecessary?

Also, with Ageless If We Dare, I do the whole program 3 times a week. If I add the massage at the end, am I supposed to do it just after the times I exercise or daily? Same with skin brushing: 2-3 times a week or daily?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 am      Reply with quote
Firming the skin and thickening the skin whilst they appear similar are actually different things. I’m a trainer at FlexEffect (where Lou used to be a trainer also) but am also a qualified masseur and would say without doubt massage thickens the skin and firms it too. Dry brushing can thicken the skin, but that’s not its primary purpose which is to increase the circulation and exfoliate dead cells off the surface of the skin and to improve lymphatic movement. Pulling/tugging is often construed to be massage, and it’s a very small part of it, but I think you’ll be much better in using both the exercises and doing a facial massage.

Now I’d guess that you can do the massage anytime. I know Louise used to say that she often didn’t do massage as would forget, and many of her exercises incorporate massage style movements in so you do kind of achieve two things at once, and I’m not sure its necessary to do it straight after exercising, but if you can then that’s great, but if you can’t don’t loose sleep over it, do it when you can. Like most things the important thing is aka the Nike advert i.e. to just do it.

With dry brushing, start out much more slowly and notice how your skin responds. I’d start out once or twice a week, and then gradually increase the number of sessions. Ideally you want to work on eventually doing dry brushing daily!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, Sean!

So, if massage does thicken and firm the skin, is this why Carole Maggio's No Lipo Lipo works to lift and tighten the skin. Would simply massaging the skin on the abdomen have any effect on tightening up loose skin there?

I'm in the process of losing weight (have lost 45 pounds so far, with 40 more to go). I notice that the closer I get to my goal weight, the more loose, crepey skin seems to be forming on my abdominal area. Yuck! Exercise can only do so much and a tummy tuck is out of the question for financial reasons. So I've been wondering if doing a massage in this area would benefit it at all.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I think like most things it’s a very misunderstood tool to use (massage) in that it works amazing feats in conjunction with things like healthy eating etc. If the diet is extremely poor and lacking in nutrients, then the skin already is very challenged, so when someone loses a lot of weight they often do so be restricting calories etc but in doing so they often neglect things that hold vitamins/minerals and would be beneficial. So to me when I hear someone talking about skin looseness, its always a place I start looking at first because skin will always show you whats happening with a person internally. So if you’re noticing loose crepy skin on your abdominal area then massage is a great tool to use BUT in conjunction with eating healthily too. Even Carole’s No Lipo Lipo technique utilises dry brushing and massage together but she also has some specific recommendations with supplements to really help people make sure they’re getting the full range of nutrients they need to have healthy skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 am      Reply with quote
So true about the nutrition part of it. I try my best to eat healthy foods and take my vitamins. But I think a big part of the looseness and crepey skin is due to losing and gaining large amounts of weight over the last 33 years, having had 2 kids and being older. Plus, our whole family just has terrible skin elasticity; I could just look at a bowl of ice cream and a stretch mark would appear on my thigh. Surprised

I've also read that it can take loose skin from weight loss up to 2 years to get back some of its firmness, considering you help it along with exercise, healthy foods and drybrushing. But I think it will only tighten up so much, right?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Remember it is not just about taking vitamins, and we’re kind of in a culture that promotes the idea of pill popping over healthy eating, but it is about taking nutrients (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids etc) in a form that your own body can digest and absorb and utilise. Even if you lost and gained weight, your skin is still a living, breathing organ that will always have the potential to change for the better. Only time really when it can’t do that is ultimately when you’re dead. I’ve heard of cases where loose skin has taken long time, but they’re quite rare and usually its where there are other things going on in the background like major health challenges or concerns and of course provided the skin is able to do its job and is protecting the body it doesn’t feature high on the body’s priority list but with things like massage and dry brushing you help it up a few notches.

I’d also say don’t limit yourself – with doing the things you are doing its important to aim high and give it time. Who is to say it will only tighten up so much – its got the potential to tighten up as much as you want if you’re doing the right things and exercising etc correctly. Also we know that our minds have tremendous power so to me it’s important to get your mind working for you with these kind of things. The belief that “it will only tighten up so much” can impact your results for sure. There are many people out there who have tightened up their skin considerably and without resorting to surgery and if they can do it – you can too!

sandooch wrote:
So true about the nutrition part of it. I try my best to eat healthy foods and take my vitamins. But I think a big part of the looseness and crepey skin is due to losing and gaining large amounts of weight over the last 33 years, having had 2 kids and being older. Plus, our whole family just has terrible skin elasticity; I could just look at a bowl of ice cream and a stretch mark would appear on my thigh. Surprised

I've also read that it can take loose skin from weight loss up to 2 years to get back some of its firmness, considering you help it along with exercise, healthy foods and drybrushing. But I think it will only tighten up so much, right?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Sorry just realised my post might come across as stepping on others toes and its not intended to that way at all, but its something I have learned the hard way and if I can save others making that mistake I'll be a happy lady. Sean hope you're ok with me posting on it, but you know what i've been through.
Deb Crowley
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
There is so much to learn on this sight. Right now I am most interested in information on facial exercise. But I keep reading lots of posts about how doing them along with either facial massage, dry brushing and pulling/tugging the skin helps to make the skin either thicker or firmer

Hi There,

I agree with everything that has already been said. Would like to add... Everyone here, I'm sure, will agree that FE Facialbuilding offers within its training (if one chooses) the most aggressive training available. Having myself spent most of my training in high intensity mode for 30+yrs I can tell you simply building muscle does NOT take the place of an ongoing facial massage regime. Because Ageless offers a building technique that requires pulling/tugging by grasping the skin you're getting skin only action as well. So,sounds to me you're on the right track Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |