Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone know of aSerum recipe that uses Propylene Glycol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jhaydon

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
I want to use Propylene Glycol as my main active ingredient for an anti-aging serum, however, I don't know what other ingredients I would need to use. Does anyone have any suggestions? And if so, could you also provide the amounts to use of each product used?

I am very new to this and all the help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joy
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I just bought a bottle of propylene glycol, to see if it's any use as an alternative for alcohol as a solvent for herb material. So I've looked it up, understand that apart from its properties as a solvent it is also a product penetration enhancer and has its use as a preservative. But I didn't know it has anti aging properties as such.
From what I understand, it's used in very small amounts as a functional agent to dissolve, enhance and liquify other ingredients, and it has humectant properties a bit similar to glycerin. I would not, though, simply interchange it with glycerin in any recipe since it can be irritating on skin so you'd better not use large amounts of it in any recipe.

I intend to use it, in small amounts, in a serum with vitamin A to see if it enhances the effects because it should make the stuff penetrate into the skin more easily. But I will try that out on a small patch first, because it can be an irritant, especially on eczema prone skin.
jhaydon

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I just bought a bottle of propylene glycol, to see if it's any use as an alternative for alcohol as a solvent for herb material. So I've looked it up, understand that apart from its properties as a solvent it is also a product penetration enhancer and has its use as a preservative. But I didn't know it has anti aging properties as such.
From what I understand, it's used in very small amounts as a functional agent to dissolve, enhance and liquify other ingredients, and it has humectant properties a bit similar to glycerin. I would not, though, simply interchange it with glycerin in any recipe since it can be irritating on skin so you'd better not use large amounts of it in any recipe.

I intend to use it, in small amounts, in a serum with vitamin A to see if it enhances the effects because it should make the stuff penetrate into the skin more easily. But I will try that out on a small patch first, because it can be an irritant, especially on eczema prone skin.

Thank you for the information, I will definitely take it into consideration.
KittenInTheMitten
5% products discount

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Joy-
I use Propylene Glycol in my DIY Vitamin C serum and it works great for me. I make a small batch every week (mostly to ensure the potency of the vitamin C) using 1/4 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C crystals- The brand I use is "Solgar" and I purchase it from Whole Foods), 5ml Distilled water, and 5ml Propylene Glycol

xoxo!
Kitten
jhaydon

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
KittenInTheMitten wrote:
Hi Joy-
I use Propylene Glycol in my DIY Vitamin C serum and it works great for me. I make a small batch every week (mostly to ensure the potency of the vitamin C) using 1/4 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C crystals- The brand I use is "Solgar" and I purchase it from Whole Foods), 5ml Distilled water, and 5ml Propylene Glycol

xoxo!
Kitten

Thank you Kitten, I will give that a try! I'm just getting started in DIY so that will be my first "experiment". Very Happy Joy
KittenInTheMitten
5% products discount

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 am      Reply with quote
That's great! I'm pretty new to the DIY thing too, but I love the feeling I get when mixing up all those things.. I feel like a mad scientist. My sister even gave me her leftover beakers and test tubes from her chemistry lab (I don't really use them, but surround myself with them when I'm making my face stuff so I "look the part", heh. It's all props really).

If you do end up doing the Vitamin C Serum, one thing I learned to do was heat up the distilled water before adding it to the mixture. The vitamin C crystals will mix better. I use a dark blue bottle (or you can use amber as well, just as long as it offers some protection from the light. From my understanding, light is not good for the serum), and once I add all my ingredients, including the heated up distilled water, I gently shake the mixture and swirl it around. I find I have to do that several times over the course of 24 hours to get everything to dissolve properly.

Have fun with it... and welcome into the secret society of mad scientists Bad Grin

xoxo!
Kitten
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
My first post here!

I am curious as to why anyone would want to use propylene glycol in a DIY serum. Isn't that basically antifreeze and toxic?

I understand that it is widely used in medications and cosmetics, but I always understood the whole DIY choice to be out of concern for using natural alternatives that aren't toxic.

My question is: Does propylene glycol function in such a way that no natural product will fulfill that function?
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Propylene glycol is also used in foodstuffs, so it's very well tested and considered safe.

It can function as an alternative for glycerine as a humectant, but it also works as a penetration enhancer so probably the other actives in whatever you use it in will be more effective. Also, interesting to me, as a solvent/extractor it could be an alternative to alcohol, which I find drying. And last, it has a mild preservative function. So far I have not found another substance that combines these functions so I am just giving it a try.
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Propylene glycol is also used in foodstuffs, so it's very well tested and considered safe.

It can function as an alternative for glycerine as a humectant, but it also works as a penetration enhancer so probably the other actives in whatever you use it in will be more effective. Also, interesting to me, as a solvent/extractor it could be an alternative to alcohol, which I find drying. And last, it has a mild preservative function. So far I have not found another substance that combines these functions so I am just giving it a try.

Thank you for your response! I have been reading up on this topic this afternoon, and have learned the purpose and effectiveness of PG. I haven't found one natural ingredient that would do all that PG does, so I can see its usefulness.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
KittenInTheMitten wrote:
Hi Joy-

xoxo!
Kitten

I've never heard of using Vit C from the grocery store, in cosmetic formulations. Is that cool? I have always ordered cosmetic grade Vit C. Sure would be easier to get it at Whole Foods! Could some of the more seasoned DIY folks speak to this?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |