Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Thought I would share this great discovery and addition to my health regime......I just started using Diatamceous Earth to help clean out my GI tract, on the advice of my nutritionist. It's super cheap, about 15$ for 2 pounds.

Taken daily, it helps eliminate all intestinal worms and parasites from the body and keeps the bowels clean. Food grade DE is also known to sweep some bacteria out of the system, but DE does NOT kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut. DE contains 15 naturally occurring minerals that are excellent for the body. I'm using a heaping TBS in water 3 X day.

and it has all kinds of uses!!!

Face Mask and Cleanser:
Mix DE and water together until you have made a paste. Apply to the face with circular scrubbing motion until face is fully covered.
Leave on face for approx. 2 min. and then wash off with warm water. Your face will be fully exfoliated and toned for pennies!!!
Mix DE with your favorite cleanser and you will have cleaner, smoother skin.

Teeth Cleaner:
Sprinkle a small amount on your favorite brand of toothpaste and brush as you normally would. You will notice that your teeth look and

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Wow, never heard of that!
Does it not tear up your digestional track? It contains ground up shells and we use it here in Texas as a natural deterrent for scorpions as it is one of the ONLY things (due to the tough outer skeleton) that can penetrate it. We also use it along with ground up moth balls to deter snakes when used as a perimeter barrier.
Interesting.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I know! truly unreal, I copied this from a website:

Quote:
How Diatomaceous Earth Works

As it moves through the stomach and digestive tract, it attracts and absorbs bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins,
pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals. These toxins are trapped and passed out of the body. In addition, any
larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach of digestive tract are "cut up" and killed by the sharp edges of the DE.
All of these activities result in a much healthier body with less sickness. We often hear the phrase "I just feel better" with our
DE users. This better feeling comes from all the junk being removed from the body and by giving our immune system the "jump
start" it needs.

More on link:
http://www.morethanalive.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-Powder

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this! I've been a HUGE proponent of diatomaceous earth for use on pets for fleas & for household pests like cockroaches & silverfish - it slices and dices their exoskeletons so that they cannot retain water & die. Its safe for pets to ingest (i.e. lick off their fur), and actually is good for them since it kills off parasites in their digestive track. No horrible chemicals.

The only think is you have to make VERY certain that they and you, DO NOT breath it in! As it's fine particals can be damaging to delicate lung tissue. That just means don't sprinkle and cause dust to rise everywhere. If it does by mistake, just back off.

I had no idea about these general health uses for people too. I'll have to read carefully later when I have more time.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am always skeptical when a product promises to be all things to all people. I've heard it was good to sprinkle it outside your house to kill fleas so they don't hop onto your pets or in through the doors and windows.

Seems like it would be very abrasive on your face.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:25 am      Reply with quote
But can't those same sharp edges cut your upper/lower disgestive tract/intestine? Hmm.....
And I am usually game for just about anything! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:10 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
But can't those same sharp edges cut your upper/lower disgestive tract/intestine? Hmm.....
And I am usually game for just about anything! Laughing

If it can slice parasites and scorpions, then it's probably doing a number on your gastro-intestinal system. I'm very skeptical and wouldn't touch it. There are plenty of alternative websites that claim just about anything, and I'm very skeptical of a website that makes an outrageous claim like "Cancer can not survive in cells that have the correct levels of Silica" without any proof. Are there any reliable sources--e.g., a doctor, a scientist, a scientific paper--that says something positive about taking it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm...things I found in the scientific literature on diatomaceous earth:

* It's a natural pesticide that is effective against some bacteria and mites (e.g., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22155570,http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19736783)

* It increased parasite eggs in beatles (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22263651) but was either neutral or decreased parasite eggs in this study in hens (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673156). Apparently, its effects on parasites depends on the species.

* Diatomaceous earth caused pneumonia in a patient; it caused yellow and black pigments to be deposited (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22029678)

* The same above study reports that "contact with crystalline silica is a well-known hazard associated with progressive pulmonary fibrosis"...this contradicts the claim of the website above that the silica in diat. earth is beneficial for health

* Another study (in chinese) also looks at the link between diatomaceous earth and pneumonia (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21462570)

* Another study report that the disease "systemic sclerosis" is known to occur in people who use diatomaceous earth to filter water (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20605509)

* It's used to purify water of bacteria, but it did not remove a majority of viruses (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22191487)

* It has been used in concrete to infuse it with anti-bacterial properties (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21927907)

* The radioactive substance radon (one of the largest sources of radiation) is present in it (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17893080)

* And finally, I found no study that reported benefits with ingesting it; they all implied that it was not good to do.

In sum, I would NOT ingest it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:13 am      Reply with quote
As far as it being too abrasive for taking internally, I understand there's normally a lot of slime/buildup on our intestines & bowels etc, so I'm not sure how much damage small amounts can really do?
On skin & gums which are regularly cleared off, yeah, it does seem like it could cause tearing.

I'm not convinced its entirely bad for humans to ingest, but I'd hold off taking it internally as well. As far as I know there are a lot of other things which seem safer & can offer some of the same benefits listed.
And which I don't immediately equate with flea, silverfish & cockroach infestation! Laughing

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
There is a huge difference between the diatomaceous earth used in gardens and the DE used for pets and humans. The DE that secrets is talking about is food grade. Anything other than food grade will KILL you!

Food Grade DE is purified and ground into a very fine powder. The sharpness of the edges have been softened, so it will not cut your internal organs. DE (food grade) is shaped sort of like a honeycomb and has an electrical charge that attracts the bad bacteria that can be found in our bodies. Once attracted, the bacteria become "tangled" in the honeycomb shape. Since our bodies do not fully digest DE, the bad bacteria is swept from our bodies along with the DE.

The main benefits seem to be the cleansing action and the addition of silica to our bodies.

There are anecdotal studies that show it greatly improves cholesterol levels, and I have just begun to use food grade DE for that purpose. Despite the use of a statin drug, a modified diet and taking niacin daily, my cholesterol remains high. I will be re-tested May 10, and I will let y'all know if it works! And if any of the other claims prove true, also.

Food grade DE is cheap enough to be worth a shot, and, frankly, nothing else seems to help!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Well that makes sense! I was really wondering how that would work.
Let us know how that works for you, having to start statins, estrodiol and doing tests too, so got to get mine back down. Working out, walking, but it is still hard.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
There are anecdotal studies that show it greatly improves cholesterol levels, and I have just begun to use food grade DE for that purpose.

Could you please post these "anecdotal studies"? I saw no studies on PubMed about purposefully ingesting DE.

I only saw studies linking it to pneumonia/lung issues, which is not related to particle size, but to the molecular content of the DE.

I'm skeptical and concerned about anyone purposefully ingesting this stuff.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 am      Reply with quote
I have tried to reply twice, both replies were zapped because I tried to include first a link, and in the second one I tried to spell out the words colon, slash and dot in the link! That wasn't allowed either! I'm freaking out a little because I did not mean to break the rules!

First, I want to apologize for my use of the term "anecdotal studies". I should have used the term "anecdotal reports" which of course means the reports of users, not backed up by rigorous study.

Secondly, there is at least one "official" study, done by the same source used when you posted to point out dangers of misuse of DE, or inhalation of DE, which reports the benefits of Food Grade DE on cholesterol levels. I will edit if I can figure out how to include directions to the study without breaking forum rules.
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Ok, if you will use one of the same links for the pubmed reports that you included in your previous post, except substitute the numbers
9533930 after the last slash, that should take you to the study showing the benefits of FGDE!

cm5597, I appreciate all the info you have provided, and want to thank you for your concern! You are awesome!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 am      Reply with quote
To me, this is not just pertaining to this topic but SSOOOOOO many out there on the forum right now.
Being in the medical, religous and real estate fields myself, there are studies and counter-studies for everything out there under the sun that I have to wade thru. You could fill pages and pages on this forum of conflicting info and studies (which people do and I avoid those posts like a plague)and it all goes back to one thing in a nutshell, just do your due diligence.
It is about bringing up new ideas and trying new products,if you don't agree, then don't try it. We have freedom of choice, just also respect someone elses!
Can't imagine what it would have been like trying to talk someone into injecting botox into their face and getting that to be a standard in the beauty industry! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Kgeaux wrote:
I have tried to reply twice, both replies were zapped because I tried to include first a link, and in the second one I tried to spell out the words colon, slash and dot in the link! That wasn't allowed either! I'm freaking out a little because I did not mean to break the rules!

First, I want to apologize for my use of the term "anecdotal studies". I should have used the term "anecdotal reports" which of course means the reports of users, not backed up by rigorous study.

Secondly, there is at least one "official" study, done by the same source used when you posted to point out dangers of misuse of DE, or inhalation of DE, which reports the benefits of Food Grade DE on cholesterol levels. I will edit if I can figure out how to include directions to the study without breaking forum rules.

Hey Kgeaux,

If you PM me the link, I will post it for you here Smile

AnnieR wrote:
and I avoid those posts like a plague)and it all goes back to one thing in a nutshell, just do your due diligence.
It is about bringing up new ideas and trying new products,if you don't agree, then don't try it. We have freedom of choice, just also respect someone elses!

Yes, of course! But that's why I think it's important to notify people of both the good and the bad. And sometimes, whether a substance is beneficial vs harmful is simply a matter of things like dosage, mode of application, genetic suspectibility, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Is this the link, Kgeaux:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9533930

?

Quote:
In this study a potential influence of diatomaceus earth to lower blood cholesterol was investigated. During 12 weeks we monitored serum lipid concentrations in 19 healthy individuals with a history of moderate hypercholesterinemia (9 females, 10 males, aged 35 - 67 years). Individuals administered orally 250 mg diatomaceous earth three-times daily during an 8 weeks observation period. Serum concentrations of cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides levels were measured before study entry, every second week during the period of diatomaceous earth intake and 4 weeks after stop of intake. Compared to baseline (285.8 +/- 37.5 mg/dl = 7.40 +/- 0.97 mM) diatomaceous earth intake was associated with a significant reduction of serum cholesterol at any time point, reaching a minimum on week 6 (248.1 mg/dl = 6.43 mM, -13.2% from baseline; p<0.001). Also low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (week 4: p<0.05) and triglycerides levels decreased (week 2: p<0.05, week 4: p<0.01). Four weeks after intake of diatomaceous earth was stopped, serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides still remained low and also the increase of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol became significant (p<0.05). Diatomaceous earth, a bioproduct, is capable of reducing blood cholesterol and positively influencing lipid metabolism in humans. Placebo-controlled studies will be necessary to confirm our findings.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! That is it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
But that's why I think it's important to notify people of both the good and the bad. And sometimes, whether a substance is beneficial vs harmful is simply a matter of things like dosage, mode of application, genetic suspectibility, etc.

I agree, its when preaching is over the top, rudeness insues or a total hijacking of a thread (not in this case)that it bothers me.
I wonder how many other people have tried it? I was not even aware of a food grade version!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Today is the day I promised to be back with the results of my cholesterol test.

I LOWERED my cholesterol by 84 points. That is truly amazing!!

From 278 to 194......

This is completely due to the oral intake of 2 tbsp a day, because I have changed nothing else.

Other things I've noticed are: my hair is growing much faster than usual, and it is also stronger; my fingernails are long for the first time in my entire life, also they are hard as nails! They usually split and break off before
they can grow. And I no longer have symptoms of IBS. I have gone from daily bouts of diarhea to normal bowel movements.

I'm a HUGE believer in Food Grade Diametaceous earth!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Thats so good! I need to lower mine by doc's orders.
Thank you for posting your results. Have you had any side effects that you can speak of?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Thats so good! I need to lower mine by doc's orders.
Thank you for posting your results. Have you had any side effects that you can speak of?

No negative side effects at all! I mix a couple of tbsps into a protein shake I drink for breakfast. It doesn't dissolve so I have to stir a time or two as I drink the shake.

My dr. was truly amazed, I shared all the info with her so she knows what I'm doing and she approves.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2012 7:32 am      Reply with quote
My Dad was a Veterinarian and I grew up on a ranch. He used to mix it into the dogs and various ranch animals food to help with parasites, fleas, etc.
I had forgotton all about it until I mentioned this to my Mom, who is a retired hospice nurse. She remembered my Dad doing this (he passed away in 05)but said she had knew of a few people who mix it into their food daily. On such a small dose, a true food grade quality powder would be very minimal.
I am looking into it for the cholesterol lowering, very interesting.
So no constipation? That's what would be most bothersome for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Annie, I have found the FGDE to be extremely healing to my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Everything in that department is so vastly improved that I probably would have continued my daily dose of FGDE even if it hadn't improved my cholesterol. I feel incredibly healthy and happy to have such a drastic improvement in both areas!

I was told to increase my water intake to prevent constipation, and also to start with a small dose and work up to 1 or 2 TBSPS. I followed that advice, and I have not had a problem with constipation.

I hope FGDE will help you as much as it is helping me, if you decide to try it.

I ordered from a place called More Than Alive, but I am sure it's available from lots of vendors.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2012 6:38 am      Reply with quote
What is a good amount to start with? I have mine on the way and just want to incorporate a tiny bit to my green smoothie each morning.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |