Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Let's Make a List / Name That Fantastic Active
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:

Anybody up for talking about "DNA repair" ingredients? Telomerases, that sort of thing? Or is this way too geeky?

I'm willing to listen if you want to share your knowledge. I may not have anything to contribute. I understand that telomeres are one of the latest hot topics in health care. But don't know much more.

Let's start with this cosmindustry piece, although a bit fluffy.

New research highlights importance of telomere activity in aging

A focus on telomere activity has been playing an increasingly important role in high-tech anti-aging skin care solutions, and new research may point to further developments for the application of this technology.
Researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) say they have identified a new pathway that sets the clock for programmed aging in normal skin and body cells, in a study that was published the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Previous scientific research has already documented how telomeres wear away during cell division, which leads to degradation and eventually the death of the cell. Ultimately this leads to age-related cell damage, which in the case of skin, manifests itself in fine lines and wrinkles. Specifically the study has focused on the interaction between a toxic protein called progerin and telomeres, identifying how this toxin caps the ends of the telomeres. Progerin acts as a toxin and shortens telomeres. Progerin is a mutated version of a normal cellular protein called lamin A, which is encoded by the normal LMNA gene, the researchers point out. Lamin A helps to maintain the normal structure of a cell's nucleus, the cellular repository of genetic information.

Scientific studies have previously documented that the shorter or damaged telomeres tend to stimulate or activate production of progerin, which is the trigger for the cell damage. The more the telomere shortens, the higher the rate of progerin production.‘Our sense from the start was that progeria had a lot to teach us about the normal aging process and clues about more general biochemical and molecular mechanisms," NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D., and a senior author of the current paper.

Another study shows that the mutation that causes progeria – a rare disease that leads to premature aging in children - strongly activates the splicing of lamin A to produce the toxic progerin protein, leading to all of the features of premature aging suffered by children with the disease.

Interestingly, the researchers also observed that modifications in the splicing of LMNA are at play in the presence of the normal gene, a process known as RNA, and one that alters how a normal cell processes genetic information when turning into a protein.
The researchers have documented that this alteration in RNA splicing affects the processing of the LMNA messenger RNA, leading to an accumulation of the toxic progerin protein, the shortening of the telomeres, and cell degradation.

Telomere shortening is key "Telomere shortening during cellular senescence plays a causative role in activating progerin production and leads to extensive change in alternative splicing in multiple other genes," said lead author Kan Cao, Ph.D., an assistant professor of cell biology and molecular genetics at the University of Maryland, College Park.

Telomere Biology has become a hot topic in anti-aging skin care research. In a study released on November 28th 2010, in the online journal Nature, a team of researchers at Harvard Medical School reported on the first reversal of the aging process in a mammal.
By reactivating telomerase, they rejuvenated worn out organs in mice that were the equivalent biological age to 80 year old humans.

Notice how the Nature study gets woven in. The study had nothing to do with skin, but the industry is into wild extrapolations.

So, reactions?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Where's the barf smilie?

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
http://www.freesmileys.org/

http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/forum-emoticons.html

http://www.forumsextreme.com/Smilies.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 am      Reply with quote
You certainly are a discerning bunch. And they accuse me of being hard on soft science.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Whenever I read on this topic, I can't get images of Aubrey de Gray out of my head...his TED speeches are entertaining...and well, his persona.

BFG
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
OK, now having tantalized, I am going to share what I consider to be a really good paper. The full text pdf is available, so we can read it together and get a little deeper into the topic. Bottom line is that I think there are some research pathways worth following.

Here is the full text link: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0625.2010.01242.x/pdf

Here is the abstract only:
Buckingham EM, & Klingelhutz AJ.The role of telomeres in the ageing of human skin.Exp Dermatol. 2011 Apr;20(4):297-302

Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA.
Abstract

Skin is a self-renewing tissue that is required to go through extensive proliferation throughout the lifespan of an organism. Telomere shortening acts as a mitotic clock that prevents aberrant proliferation such as cancer. A consequence of this protection is cellular senescence and ageing. The telomerase enzyme complex maintains telomere length in germline cells and in cancer cells. Telomerase is also active in certain somatic cells such as those in the epidermis but is almost undetectable in the dermis. Increasing evidence indicates that telomerase plays a significant role in maintenance of skin function and proliferation. Mutations in telomerase component genes in the disease dyskeratosis congenita result in numerous epidermal abnormalities. Studies also indicate that telomerase activity in epidermal stem cells might have roles that go beyond telomere elongation. Telomeres in skin cells may be particularly susceptible to accelerated shortening because of both proliferation and DNA-damaging agents such as reactive oxygen species. Skin might present an accessible tissue for manipulation of telomerase activity and telomere length with the potential of ameliorating skin diseases associated with ageing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Seems that NASA has a potential cure for wrinkles...hoping to pour a glass soon..

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/12260200-as10-nasas-cure-for-radiation-wrinkles
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Seems that NASA has a potential cure for wrinkles...hoping to pour a glass soon..

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/12260200-as10-nasas-cure-for-radiation-wrinkles

Wink

One of these days you guys will all be saying; "Jeeez, we should have saved our money and listened to Kassy..".. (She was a pain in the a$$, always shoving antioxidants down our throats..)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Just the kind of pain in the a$$ we need around here Smile

You keep us real Smile

BFG
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
ww.futurederm.com published a piece I did on snail snot.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Good write up.

RE: Futurederm

Quote:
Beyond the edelweiss plant, much has been written in the press about the “Magical Swiss apples” (I love all of this talk of Switzerland!). The supplier of Uttwiller Spatlauber applies is Mibelle, also from Switzerland. You will find brands including 3Lab and Sonya Dakar touting the benefits of these magical apples, which also focus on rejuvenation and anti-aging.

The apple stem cell malarkey shot the blog into the nether regions.

Personally, I would not want my work posted next to that, as it lends credence to the bunk. Unfortunately.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 7:48 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Good write up.

RE: Futurederm

Quote:
Beyond the edelweiss plant, much has been written in the press about the “Magical Swiss apples” (I love all of this talk of Switzerland!). The supplier of Uttwiller Spatlauber applies is Mibelle, also from Switzerland. You will find brands including 3Lab and Sonya Dakar touting the benefits of these magical apples, which also focus on rejuvenation and anti-aging.

The apple stem cell malarkey shot the blog into the nether regions.

Personally, I would not want my work posted next to that, as it lends credence to the bunk. Unfortunately.

You will be glad to know that Nikki was confronted and willingly capitulated on that topic. She didn't write that piece (it was a guest blog, by a non-scientist) but she also didn't independently verify the facts, she admits. Note that she didn't edit out the strongly refutational comments. No cover up here. Her willingness to allow debate, be challenged, and to expand her knowledge base rather than defend a shaky position convinced me that she is one of the good guys. Because our mission is to support these sorts of efforts, I have agreed to help out in my area of expertise. So let's give Nikki credit for how she handled that. Stark contrast with that other site we won't mention that would rather die on the junk science trash heap than admit they don't know something.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
What do we know about colostrum (bovine?) as an active skincare topical? (or oral?)

Thanks, BFG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
What do we know about colostrum (bovine?) as an active skincare topical? (or oral?)

Thanks, BFG

Copyrighted so can not post info in but from Dr. Weil:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400312/consider-cows-colostrum

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
WebMD has information including uses, side effects, interactions dosing and overview:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-785-COLOSTRUM.aspx?activeIngredientId=785&activeIngredientName=COLOSTRUM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
From NIH:

Bovine colostrum as a biologic in clinical medicine: a review. Part I: biotechnological standards, pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic characteristics and principles of treatment.
Struff WG, Sprotte G.
Source
Center for Transfusion Medicine, Münster, German Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service West gGmbH, Münster, Germany. w.struff@bsdwest.de
Abstract
Mammals supply their newborn before birth, at birth or shortly after birth with antibodies, immunocytes and humoral constituents. This "borrowed immunity" is a form of passive immunization to protect the newborn against environmental pathogens until it establishes its own pathogen recognition and disposal systems. In cows, goats, horses and some other animal species, most immunoglobulins are obtained from the colostrum, the first milk after birth, via the gut but in humans the majority of immunoglobulins, and those of the IgG-class in particular, are acquired from the mother by placental transport in the weeks prior to parturition. It has long been known that the consumption of bovine colostrum by humans has therapeutic effects e.g. in gastrointestinal infections, but only since the second half of the last century has it been possible to prepare stable, standardized preparations of colostrum. These biologics are administered to patients in combination with standard therapies as so-called balanced supportive diets. Investigations with standardized colostrum preparations in animal models of human disease and estimates of bovine IgG activity in the human GI-tract, described in this review, have provided preclinical data supporting the use of bovine colostrum in human diseases. On the other hand, the number of bovine colostrum products with a sufficiently large and reliable database is limited and the precise nature of the therapeutic targets is still being evaluated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17474538

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Now I am not a boffin nor am I a luddite, but when considering bovine colostrum I cant get BSE out of my head Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Now I am not a boffin nor am I a luddite, but when considering bovine colostrum I cant get BSE out of my head Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:

It really is not funny, I would pass on bovine (or any animals) colostrum! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
me too Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Still it's interesting stuff

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/7/2058S.full

But not a very sexy ingredient.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks LE for that link... lately, these same key terms keep popping up - fibroblast proliferation, growth factors, etc.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Thanks LE for that link... lately, these same key terms keep popping up - fibroblast proliferation, growth factors, etc.

BFG

Yep...I just read that part of the rolling book this evening, and had made a note to look into colostrum!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

Yep...I just read that part of the rolling book this evening, and had made a note to look into colostrum!

Epicuren makes a nice colostrum serum. It's used by lots of the "Hollywood celebrities."
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:44 am      Reply with quote
There are several smaller brands of colostrum cream, but the big names don't seem too interested.
Easy to DIY too, though you can only do small amounts because it's perishable like any dairy product.
Considering the good stuff in colostrum it could very well be the ideal ingredient for ageing skin or skin with inflammatory problems like rosacea or eczema

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030207718696

Something like a 'poor man's cytokine and growth factor serum'?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |