Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Retin A creating open pores and bad texture
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mew
5% products discount

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
AncoraImparo wrote:
mew wrote:
pandora77 wrote:
I think that prescription strength retiniod products can make your skin look worse as they do dry out and strip the skin. They do however for many people help rebuild collegen and fight acne, discolouration but getting the balance right between getting the benefits and over doing it is really hard and something I am struggling with myself and I have used retin a for years. There must be a sweet spot that allows you to get the anti acne, antiaging benefits without ruining the skins barrier and making it look rotten.

For some people it seems to be amazing but for others it is very damaging - perhaps it's sensitive skin types that get damaged. I only used it for 5 weeks to help with problems that are most likely caused by IPL and over exfoliation - it amazes me now that a dermatologist would prescribe Tretinion cream for my skin. After 5 weeks of light use my skin looked much worse - pigmentation was getting darker and the lines on my face were getting worse and it did nothing to minimise pores. A beauty therapist looked at my skin and told me it was dehydrated (that is why the pores all over my face are open) and gave me advice on how to rehydrate it and get my skin back to normal. Funny thing is she gave me much better advice for free unlike the dermatologist who charged $200 for a 15 minute consult and prescribed medication unsuitable for my skin!

I would urge anyone who has sensitive skin not to use harsh products on their skin and definitely don't have chemical peels or IPL.

Thanks a ton for your insight. Could you provide the tips your therapist gave? It would help a ton

Hi, yes of course. This is what she advised me to do:-
Fill the sink with warm water and add a few drops of rosewater.
Soak a muslin cloth in the water
Hold the cloth against your face for 30 seconds - repeat this 3 times.
While the skin is still damp apply your moisturiser - this will lock in the moisture.
Do this morning and night. It is a very simple method and my beauty therapist tells me she sees lots of clients with dehydrated skin and this is the method she advises.
Don't use any harsh products or exfoliate your face because the acid mantle, or skin barrier, has been damaged and needs to repair and exfoliating or using harsh chemicals will make it worse.

Don't expect to see results over night. Rebuilding the skin barrier takes time and the beauty therapist told me it will probably take me 6 months to get my skin back to normal. It may be quicker for your if your skin isn't as bad as mine - what is your skin like by the way?

Also, Omega 6 is very important for skin. Hemp seed oil has the right balance of omega 3 and 6 so I have been taking 2 tablespoons of this each morning.

Does this help any? I hope it does.
lindsay123
5% products discount

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, i'm having a rather troubling time with my retinoid for my forehead acne (isotrex gel - i started a thread about it on here). I began really slowly in October / November, using it every 3rd night with a moisturiser for 5 weeks, then every second night for 3 weeks, then every night for 2 weeks, and then finally every night without a moisturiser. My forehead was very congested and clogged and i broke out with big and small pimples constantly for nearly three months. That tailed off though, and i've not had a pimple like i used to have for a few weeks. It has definitely 'emptied' my pores and so it that sense has kind of worked. If i feel my skin it also feels smooth and soft. But it's a completely different story if i look at my skin because it looks awful. I have never scarred from pimples before EVER, but using the gel i scarred with almost all of them - i have lots of small indents / ice picks where i had bad breakouts, but i also have small indents where i had no active acne at all. Some of these also connect up with each other through 'lines' which makes it look even worse. There are also a few crater like scars, maybe 3 - one where i had a large pimple but again some where i had no active acne. It feels like the pores have collapsed if that makes sense. I also have redness that has never really gone away, and i seem to have developed more noticeably expression lines meaning my forehead generally looks older and crepey. Finally, while i don't have much in the way of active acne, i can see what look like tiny clogged pores in some areas - i can't feel them and they're only visible under certain light, but again, they've only appeared since being on the gel. So now i have a mix of a few active pimples, redness, PIH, and scars / indents.

The cumulative effect of all this has been pretty devastating. I am only 24 and this time last year had invisible pores and a smooth forehead. I feel hopeless because i started with the retinoid for acne but now i seem to have a much more fundamental problem with my skin. I'm also confused as to what to do - do i stop the gel completely, start using it only a few nights a week? This surely can't still be part of the getting worse before getting better phase? If i stop completely i'm worried about the acne returning, but at the same time i'm worried about more scarring. I know this isn't what a retinoid is meant to do and most people have success, but from googling around i've found people with similar stories. I did find my way to the Skin Bio forum that revealed some interesting info in regard to retinoids and scarring. I've also read that people have had success with the cp's in rectifying some of the things i appear to be going through…, but i'm not sure i want to jump into another active. HELP?!

For clarity - in the evening i use the Peter Thomas Roth gentle foaming cleanser, wait 30 minutes and then apply the gel sparingly. In the morning i use the same cleanser along with Cerave and if i'm out a sunscreen (and i avoid the sun like the plague). I also sometimes use some emu oil. I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow but he's useless when it comes to more precise skin care problems - it might be worth asking for a derm referral but the waiting time for the NHS isn't great, especially in my rural area.
mew
5% products discount

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
lindsay123 wrote:
Hmmm, i'm having a rather troubling time with my retinoid for my forehead acne (isotrex gel - i started a thread about it on here). I began really slowly in October / November, using it every 3rd night with a moisturiser for 5 weeks, then every second night for 3 weeks, then every night for 2 weeks, and then finally every night without a moisturiser. My forehead was very congested and clogged and i broke out with big and small pimples constantly for nearly three months. That tailed off though, and i've not had a pimple like i used to have for a few weeks. It has definitely 'emptied' my pores and so it that sense has kind of worked. If i feel my skin it also feels smooth and soft. But it's a completely different story if i look at my skin because it looks awful. I have never scarred from pimples before EVER, but using the gel i scarred with almost all of them - i have lots of small indents / ice picks where i had bad breakouts, but i also have small indents where i had no active acne at all. Some of these also connect up with each other through 'lines' which makes it look even worse. There are also a few crater like scars, maybe 3 - one where i had a large pimple but again some where i had no active acne. It feels like the pores have collapsed if that makes sense. I also have redness that has never really gone away, and i seem to have developed more noticeably expression lines meaning my forehead generally looks older and crepey. Finally, while i don't have much in the way of active acne, i can see what look like tiny clogged pores in some areas - i can't feel them and they're only visible under certain light, but again, they've only appeared since being on the gel. So now i have a mix of a few active pimples, redness, PIH, and scars / indents.

The cumulative effect of all this has been pretty devastating. I am only 24 and this time last year had invisible pores and a smooth forehead. I feel hopeless because i started with the retinoid for acne but now i seem to have a much more fundamental problem with my skin. I'm also confused as to what to do - do i stop the gel completely, start using it only a few nights a week? This surely can't still be part of the getting worse before getting better phase? If i stop completely i'm worried about the acne returning, but at the same time i'm worried about more scarring. I know this isn't what a retinoid is meant to do and most people have success, but from googling around i've found people with similar stories. I did find my way to the Skin Bio forum that revealed some interesting info in regard to retinoids and scarring. I've also read that people have had success with the cp's in rectifying some of the things i appear to be going through…, but i'm not sure i want to jump into another active. HELP?!

For clarity - in the evening i use the Peter Thomas Roth gentle foaming cleanser, wait 30 minutes and then apply the gel sparingly. In the morning i use the same cleanser along with Cerave and if i'm out a sunscreen (and i avoid the sun like the plague). I also sometimes use some emu oil. I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow but he's useless when it comes to more precise skin care problems - it might be worth asking for a derm referral but the waiting time for the NHS isn't great, especially in my rural area.

Hi Lindsay123,
I completely understand the anxiety caused by your skin problems - I have crepey skin, open pores that connect and look like lines, it's just terrible. They are caused by dehydration so don't panic - you can fix it but it takes time. My good friend is a beauty therapist and really knows her stuff and reassured me that it's dehydration caused by damaging the acid mantle (skin's protective barrier) and it's not permanent. See my post above about soaking the face with rosewater - this is the method she advised me to use. It will take a while to rehydrate the skin though so if you choose to do it, be patient! Have you heard of hemp seed oil? If not Google it - it's supposed to be great for the skin and helps balance hormones - this could be the cause of your acne? I don't know the best way to treat acne topically but I wouldn't put any harsh products on your skin as they will cause more damage to the barrier and it won't repair itself. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.
Kash
5% products discount

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
I was reading through these posts and realized I have the same damage- only caused by mild enzyme peels and other exfoliating products that I was using simultaneously. My pores have opened up and connect to form lines, I have crepey lines all over cheeks when I smile (I can even faintly see lines running down my cheeks when not smiling), my skin is extremely sensitive and feels thin and deflated, and I turn red a lot. Not to mention I have gotten quite a bit of acne. I am 31 by the way. I am also 12 weeks pregnant so not sure how that has been influencing my skin.

It is inspiring to hear that things have improved for some people. I have been dealing with this for a little over 4 months and I have been devastated feeling like I destroyed my skin. I don't look like myself at all. I look so old now! doc said I developed rosacea, but I keep hoping somehow my skin will heal and redness will subside somewhat. My main concerns are getting rid of this tight dehydrated feeling and large pores and crepey lines on my cheeks. My derm tried to tell me these changes were due to aging!

I've been washing with either cetaphil or paulas choice skin recovery cleanser and using emu oil. Sometimes I think I see improvement when my face looks plump but that is short lived.

Did anyone experience flushing and redness while using retin a that subsided over time? I'm not ready to accept the fact that I caused rosacea- although I'm sure I'll have to...
mew
5% products discount

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Kash wrote:
I was reading through these posts and realized I have the same damage- only caused by mild enzyme peels and other exfoliating products that I was using simultaneously. My pores have opened up and connect to form lines, I have crepey lines all over cheeks when I smile (I can even faintly see lines running down my cheeks when not smiling), my skin is extremely sensitive and feels thin and deflated, and I turn red a lot. Not to mention I have gotten quite a bit of acne. I am 31 by the way. I am also 12 weeks pregnant so not sure how that has been influencing my skin.

It is inspiring to hear that things have improved for some people. I have been dealing with this for a little over 4 months and I have been devastated feeling like I destroyed my skin. I don't look like myself at all. I look so old now! doc said I developed rosacea, but I keep hoping somehow my skin will heal and redness will subside somewhat. My main concerns are getting rid of this tight dehydrated feeling and large pores and crepey lines on my cheeks. My derm tried to tell me these changes were due to aging!

I've been washing with either cetaphil or paulas choice skin recovery cleanser and using emu oil. Sometimes I think I see improvement when my face looks plump but that is short lived.

Did anyone experience flushing and redness while using retin a that subsided over time? I'm not ready to accept the fact that I caused rosacea- although I'm sure I'll have to...

Hi Kash
Don't despair, I know how you feel - I am devastated every time I look in the mirror. But as I've mentioned in previous posts, this damage can be repaired - my beauty therapist friend assures me it's damage to the skin barrier and dehydration that causes the open pores, crepey skin and lines and that it will heal over time. I am holding onto that hope. My husband said my skin is looking a bit better today - I think there is a tiny improvement but it has a long long way to go. I've been soaking with rosewater for 5 weeks now and taking hyaluronic and DMAE supplements for 3 weeks and hemp seed oil once a day. I just got Cerave moisturiser and have started using that too - applying it to damp skin to seal in the moisture.
Your dermatologist sounds as helpful as the one I went to see - he told me the open pores were probably due to hormones (I've recently had a baby) and genetics - funny thing is I never had large pores before and neither do my parents! I wasted money going to see him because I thought I needed to see an 'expert' but I should've just spoke to my friend about it instead!

How long have you been doing your skin care routine? It's a good sign that you are noticing some improvement - it will take a while to get better. Hang in there.
Kash
5% products discount

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mew,
Thank you so much for responding. Today has not been a good day. I took a picture of my skin in natural lighting when smiling with makeup on and I look 80! Does your skin look that bad? It is hard to feel like this is ever going to get better. Also, are you experiencing redness as well?

I've been using the emu oil for only a couple of weeks and the face washes for 2 months. I tried both cerave lotion and cream but they always manage to break me out in tiny pimples. I want to try the supplements but not sure if that's ok during pregnancy. I'm glad you are seeing some improvement with your routine. I just want my old skin back!
mew
5% products discount

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kash wrote:
Hi Mew,
Thank you so much for responding. Today has not been a good day. I took a picture of my skin in natural lighting when smiling with makeup on and I look 80! Does your skin look that bad? It is hard to feel like this is ever going to get better. Also, are you experiencing redness as well?

I've been using the emu oil for only a couple of weeks and the face washes for 2 months. I tried both cerave lotion and cream but they always manage to break me out in tiny pimples. I want to try the supplements but not sure if that's ok during pregnancy. I'm glad you are seeing some improvement with your routine. I just want my old skin back!

My skin is so old looking too. When I smile it crinkles up around sides of my mouth and the sides of my face. The worst thing is all the collapsed pores that have joined to form lines - this is what gives my skin the really old look :O( I hate looking closely in the mirror, it's depressing. I have never seen anyone with skin like mine, not even women twice my age. Some days I feel so down about it and then other days I try to be positive it will get better.

I know what you mean, I just want my old skin back too. I can't believe this has happened. It is basically taking over my life.

No I don't have any redness. Have you tried rosewater - it might help as it's very soothing.

There is so much info on the net about pretty much everything yet there is nothing much about the skin problems we are experiencing and how to fix it - frustrating!
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi. I started using Retin A bout a month ago and have used it sporadically. It's made my skin dry and flaky. I saw in another post someone mentioned it was the acid mantle that was destroyed. I'm wondering if it was because I was using shampoo and an exfoliate that may have dried it out. Or was it because I used too much retin A too fast. I know Retin A is supposed to make skin worse before it gets better. Is it supposed to destroy the acid mantle at first and then it gets better with continued use, or should I wait until it grows back then start again with less and go slower? Thanx, I'm really discouraged because my skin is horrible, really dry, large pores, fine expression lines because if super dryness.
Kash
5% products discount

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
This may be a strange question but has anyone experienced volume loss from their face that hasn't done lasers? I just can't figure out why my face looks so shrunken. It feels tight so I'm not sure if its because my skin is dehydrated which makes it not very plump. It's just bizarre because I always had a full face and after my bout of overexfoliation it seems as though I lost facial fat- my eye area has even hollowed out. I am even putting on some weight with pregnancy and my face won't get any bigger. It's starting to look like a pea on my body! I'm just trying to understand the loss of volume in the past few months and if it will improve.
amy51

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
My Dermatologist suggested I use Retin A and stated she had been using it for years. To me her skin looked thin and kind of old..very lackluster. I decided then and there I would not use it.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Hawkman564 what were you using? Cream/Gel/Microgel? I have normally dry skin, but when I used the gel it flaked like no tomorrow and it doesn’t work for my skin. However the cream and microgel work really well. Using it for only a month and sporadic isn’t the best idea. Instead you may want to opt for every other day so your skin has a chance to get used to it etc. Also you may just want to add a moisturiser on top of it after ½ an hour of waiting. Did a derm prescribe it for you or did you just purchase on the internet? May also be worth trying a weaker strength type one too.

Retin A doesn’t work at the same rate or timing for everyone. Some people never experience flaking or dryness for years, and then others within the first 6 months. Its very hit and miss, but just because its not showing up doesn’t mean its not doing things beneath the skin surface. Likewise it doesn’t automatically make skin worse before it gets better for everyone. For now, if your skin is really dry you should and need to be moisturising it and caring for it gently.

Hawkman564 wrote:
Hi. I started using Retin A bout a month ago and have used it sporadically. It's made my skin dry and flaky. I saw in another post someone mentioned it was the acid mantle that was destroyed. I'm wondering if it was because I was using shampoo and an exfoliate that may have dried it out. Or was it because I used too much retin A too fast. I know Retin A is supposed to make skin worse before it gets better. Is it supposed to destroy the acid mantle at first and then it gets better with continued use, or should I wait until it grows back then start again with less and go slower? Thanx, I'm really discouraged because my skin is horrible, really dry, large pores, fine expression lines because if super dryness.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Retin A has been used for yonks, and was actually an acne medication, but in studies done it was found to have amazing skin rejuvenating abilities. There are more studies done on Retin A than any other topical out there – even oils, but basing your decision on just the quality of your derm’s skin, whilst understandable – its always worth while revisiting and researching again. For me, my derm looks old without doubt, but he doesn’t want to look younger. However I’ve worked with him over 30 years now and wouldn’t be without Retin A for no amount of money. God helps me if that man ever retires!
amy51 wrote:
My Dermatologist suggested I use Retin A and stated she had been using it for years. To me her skin looked thin and kind of old..very lackluster. I decided then and there I would not use it.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Hawkman564 what were you using? Cream/Gel/Microgel? I have normally dry skin, but when I used the gel it flaked like no tomorrow and it doesn’t work for my skin. However the cream and microgel work really well. Using it for only a month and sporadic isn’t the best idea. Instead you may want to opt for every other day so your skin has a chance to get used to it etc. Also you may just want to add a moisturiser on top of it after ½ an hour of waiting. Did a derm prescribe it for you or did you just purchase on the internet? May also be worth trying a weaker strength type one too.

Retin A doesn’t work at the same rate or timing for everyone. Some people never experience flaking or dryness for years, and then others within the first 6 months. Its very hit and miss, but just because its not showing up doesn’t mean its not doing things beneath the skin surface. Likewise it doesn’t automatically make skin worse before it gets better for everyone. For now, if your skin is really dry you should and need to be moisturising it and caring for it gently.

Hawkman564 wrote:

Well I'm using the cream, and I am using .1%. I was using too much I think, but my skin looks bad. Someone said the cracks are just skin the hasn't come and they aren't wrinkles,it's almost like if you had dry glue on your skin and then u made and expression, it cracks away but doesnt come off, and looks shiny and wrinkly sorry if that metaphor is bad
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hawkman, that is quite a strong dosage for anyone who hasn't worked up to it. Here is the regimen prescribed by my doc: start with .025, use it once every 3 days, when you can tolerate that, use every 2 days, when that is tolerated well, every day, except one day add the next stronger (.05), when that is tolerated, mix in the .05 twice a week, etc. until you can use it every day without discomfort. At one point I used .1, but I am not so sure that stronger is necessarily better in the long term. .05 is easily tolerated and I am satisfied. Also, the cream seems easier to tolerate than the gel for my skin.

Maybe you can dilute what you have with another cream, but I would just start with a much lower strength.

And a very small amount is sufficient - about the size of a pea for your whole face.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Should I go back to my derm and tell her that its irritating and ask for .025?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Mismis is thinking along the same lines as me, that starting out on .1% is very high for most people and not the usual course, but if its been recommended to you by a derm, then you should definitely go back and seek their guidance. They may be able to give you a recommendation that will help solve this issue.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
thats what ill do, my skin is really, wrinkled, like its very dehydrated, its like theres a thin shiny piece of saran wrap over my skin, except when i do an expression it cracks, very discouraged still
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 am      Reply with quote
This is just my experiance and I know it is different for everyone but I have been using retioid type products for acne for a good few years now and I have had my ups and downs with them. I have used isotrex gel (topical isotretinoin) Retin A gel and Differin. As far as I can tell they all have a similer action on my skin with the Retin A being the most irritating and the Differin being the least irritating. I too have found that although my inflamed acne clears up great on these products my skin doesn't look great I recently posted my own sob story on this forum detailing my most recent problems with poor texture, open pores, bumps, fine lines and dryness. I found that even using gentle products like the oil cleansing method with nice organic oils that my skin still looked stripped and dry. I was also unhappy with lines under my eyes.

I am a huge fan of natural, gentle organic skincare, I have a close family member who developed cancer due to chemical exposure so for years I was very careful about avoiding chemicals in everything I could, at one point I even exculsively used Dr Hauschka (still love that brand). However in dealing with my skin on retinoids I have recently found that using dermatological washes and moisturisers have been helping my skin the most so things like the cetaphil gentle wash, Eucerin 5% Urea face cream has made a big improvment in my skin in a very short time so that it seems like an extra layer of skin has reformed and a lot of those textural problems were actually due to the skin being too stripped. In my case this was happening even with the use of very gentle soap free cleansers or cleaning oils and of course I did sometimes use other harsher products like face washes with salycilic acid in. For me and perhaps for others when using retioid type products often there is a danger of stripping away that protective top layer of the skin the stratum corneum. As a result my skin looked dry, waxy, uneven and lined. Since switching to these really gentle products all the lines and wrinkles on my face are dissappearing as the top layer is not being so brutally attacked each day. The retinoid can do its work at night and my skin is getting better. I also now apply some moisturiser to my face about 30 minutes or so after applying my retinoid at night if it feels too dry and tight.

I know that for some people retinoids will just be too harsh but for others perhaps switching to those rather boring but effective dermatologocal brands might be enough to sooth your skin and counteract the drying effect of your retin A.

I've read some great posts on this by FireFox on the forum and personally I wish I had listened to her sooner!

I have also been taking some supplements like evening primrose oil to help my skin from the inside.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Hawkman564 wrote:
thats what ill do, my skin is really, wrinkled, like its very dehydrated, its like theres a thin shiny piece of saran wrap over my skin, except when i do an expression it cracks, very discouraged still

Hawkman this is exactly how my skin was like it had some kind of waxy shrink wrap over it I am sure this is down to damage stratum corneum which I believe using products like cetaphil, Eucerin and CeraVe help prevent and repair.
mew
5% products discount

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
This is just my experiance and I know it is different for everyone but I have been using retioid type products for acne for a good few years now and I have had my ups and downs with them. I have used isotrex gel (topical isotretinoin) Retin A gel and Differin. As far as I can tell they all have a similer action on my skin with the Retin A being the most irritating and the Differin being the least irritating. I too have found that although my inflamed acne clears up great on these products my skin doesn't look great I recently posted my own sob story on this forum detailing my most recent problems with poor texture, open pores, bumps, fine lines and dryness. I found that even using gentle products like the oil cleansing method with nice organic oils that my skin still looked stripped and dry. I was also unhappy with lines under my eyes.

I am a huge fan of natural, gentle organic skincare, I have a close family member who developed cancer due to chemical exposure so for years I was very careful about avoiding chemicals in everything I could, at one point I even exculsively used Dr Hauschka (still love that brand). However in dealing with my skin on retinoids I have recently found that using dermatological washes and moisturisers have been helping my skin the most so things like the cetaphil gentle wash, Eucerin 5% Urea face cream has made a big improvment in my skin in a very short time so that it seems like an extra layer of skin has reformed and a lot of those textural problems were actually due to the skin being too stripped. In my case this was happening even with the use of very gentle soap free cleansers or cleaning oils and of course I did sometimes use other harsher products like face washes with salycilic acid in. For me and perhaps for others when using retioid type products often there is a danger of stripping away that protective top layer of the skin the stratum corneum. As a result my skin looked dry, waxy, uneven and lined. Since switching to these really gentle products all the lines and wrinkles on my face are dissappearing as the top layer is not being so brutally attacked each day. The retinoid can do its work at night and my skin is getting better. I also now apply some moisturiser to my face about 30 minutes or so after applying my retinoid at night if it feels too dry and tight.

I know that for some people retinoids will just be too harsh but for others perhaps switching to those rather boring but effective dermatologocal brands might be enough to sooth your skin and counteract the drying effect of your retin A.

I've read some great posts on this by FireFox on the forum and personally I wish I had listened to her sooner!

I have also been taking some supplements like evening primrose oil to help my skin from the inside.

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. It's encouraging to hear skin can repair - I sometimes despair and think mine will never get better!! How long after starting your skin care routine did you notice a difference in the lines and texture?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
While I do listen to what an experienced doctor says, I do a lot of research on my own, and take careful note of my own body's reactions. Often that means that I don't end up taking the doctor's advice!

As I understand there is no reason to go up in strength when it comes to Retin-A.

There is also no need for flaking - that's only an undesirable side-effect. It does its work beneath the surface.

I incorporated new products individually - first Vit C, a few months later Tretinoin, long after that cp's. But I still learned the hard way. I wasn't using a ton of products, but I was using them, and manually exfoliating, too often.

My skin was coping fairly well for a long time, but then it finally caught up with me and freaked out.

Now I have a rule: I only use one product (tretinoin, OR Vit C, OR cp's) a day. I very rarely even find the need to exfoliate since I think the others already do the job. My skin is very happy, any rare acne scars fade quickly, and I feel like I'm getting the very best from each thing I use.

I don't like complicating things. I trust that a product is designed to work as is. If the developers believed that it would work better coupled with another ingredient, they'd have added it, and adjusted everything in it so that it was all perfectly balanced to work to peak efficiency.

I've written here before that I think that when you apply a product (even a lot of cleansers which people think are benign, but aren't), your skin is getting slammed, and needs time to adjust/respond to it. If you apply another right away, it needs to change direction and head another way to cope with it. It all sounds pretty exhausting, and though I believe our skin does need to be challenged and "woken up" once in a while, being gentler with it has worked waaaay better for me.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I think Retin-A is just like anything else; most people will benefit from it but there will always, always, always unfortunately be people who have horrible experiences. That's true for pretty much any product or procedure out there.

However, I was upset to see a lot of fear-mongering in some of the posts linked. The one that upset me the most was "Retin-A is an acid. All acid is bad and yet we're unknowingly putting it on our face." That is just patently not true.

I wanted to add that because I don't want a lot of people to read those threads/posts and become terrified for no reason.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
Hawkman564 wrote:

Hawkman this is exactly how my skin was like it had some kind of waxy shrink wrap over it I am sure this is down to damage stratum corneum which I believe using products like cetaphil, Eucerin and CeraVe help prevent and repair.

Well I've been off for 2 weeks, it looks a lil better but still dry, it's an oddthing it looks very shiny in direct light. It's very scaly, like you can see every individual skin cell, it looks like long rows of rectangular shape skin cells all lines up, almost like keys on a keyboard for a computer, lol again my analogies leave something to be desired. My guess is its so dry that any little flex, expression, movement, cause each skin cell to crack instead of all moving as one, leaving slightly wider lines around every cell, this exaggerating the lines, and causing expression lines to be very worse, idk, I eat really well, omega 3s vitamins fruits veggies water, I'm seeing my derm on wed, still concerned, I'm sure it's repairable, I'm still young, some really heavy mosturizing and so professional care maybe in another 2 weeks, anybody know of some really good mosturizures
AncoraImparo
5% products discount

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Lately I've been washing my hands much more frequently and I've noticed the back of my hands turned really dry and had the exact same texture of my skin. Just an advice - make sure not to over wash your face. I'll post an update of my skin soon.
Kash
5% products discount

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone considered red light therapy? It's supposed to stimulate skin healing and collagen production, reduce inflammation, and improve skin texture without damaging the skin. I have been looking into it to help with my awful skin texture and rosacea after overusing acids.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |