Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Bare Minerals (Escentuals) Am I doing something wrong???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kamarjor
5% products discount

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I have just started using the Bare Minerals. I ordered the set mainly for the free brushes, then I am switching to Jane Iredale, I think. But, I am having difficulty using the products. My face looks good, but I feel like I have makeup caked on. I did the whole buffing thing for what seemed like hours. About 15 minutes. I did not put on very mich, but it feels so thick. Is this something that is only with the Bare Minerals, or am I doing something wrong. Help. I really like the idea of the mineral makeup, but I do not like this feeling.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi kamarjor, did you get the set with the video?
kamarjor
5% products discount

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Yes. I watched the whole thing and did exactly what they said. I even watched it twice to see if I didn't catch something the first time. Then I heard that sometimes it takes a long time to buff it in. So I did that. I really don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas?
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing that I can think is it might be what you are wearing under it that causes this. I love my BE and the only time it looks a bit not right is if I have not let the vit C and whatever else I put on my face first dry completely. I am really crap at putting on foundations, make-up but BE goes on like a dream for me. Otherwise I am sorry and can't think what else it could be.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
hmm
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
kamarjor,
loopylori mentioned considering the products you put on before BE. I sometimes use alot of moisturizer and this makes the mineral makeup look cakey up close. I guess anything that sits on top of your skin can cause too much mineral makeup to collect when you apply it. Sometimes waiting for everything to sink in before applying BE can help. hth Smile
Summer
5% products discount

Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Make sure you're not using too much. Less really is more with mineral makeup. You have to have faith -- it really feels like you're not using enough, and it looks like you haven't put anything at all on, up close. But then put on the rest of your makeup, step back from the mirror, and you'll realize that your skin looks even toned and beautiful.

It's hard to get past thinking that you need to cover your face with makeup, but truly, you only need, like, a pinhead or two's worth of powder on your brush. I used to use too much when I started using it too. But I started using less and less and less, and it started looking better and better and better.

Have faith! LESS IS MORE.

Very Happy

P.S. There is absolutely no way you need to buff it in for 15 minutes. That is ridiculous. I buff for maybe 15 seconds. I would imagine that over-buffing would just irritate your skin!
Mabsy

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:52 am      Reply with quote
I don't buff for long either. About the same as Summer - maybe a tad longer.

I would also suggest paying attention to what you put on before the BE and also making sure that the moisturiser has absorbed well before you start buffing the BE. It may also be a good idea to spritz your face after you finish applying as well. HTH
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, wanted to write last night but my keyboard wouldn't work Mad

Anyway, I completely agree with Summer and Mabsy. Have you had any luck following their advice yet?
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:23 am      Reply with quote
15 minutes! I can put this on in the dark, sorry if that sounds harsh - wasn't meant to, I guess once you get the knack it's easy.

tip the pot in to the lid, tip the lis back in to the pot, tap the end of the brush on the lid, swirl the bristles in the lid, swirl the brush over your face, if you need more coverage just tip, tap, swirl Very Happy
I fact I don't tip and tap anymore I just pick what I think is the right amount of mineral on my brush whizz it round the lid and apply.

If your skin is damp or tacky it will go blotchy. If it's not that then I don't know. Confused
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I must admit, Im a bit like Kamarjor, into week 2 of BE and every day I look different. Less definately is more but like the lady above says, you feel like you aren't putting any one and you can't see much. I always end up dusting over my face will tissue, and that goes ORANGE! Rolling Eyes Trial and error I say. I tried watching the video but I didn't find it helpful at all.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I think that the shade you use has a lot to do with it. Mineral makeup colours are more forgiving than liquid make-up but for me I look completely different whether I wear fairly light or light. They both suit me (I think) but with light I definitely get a heavier Confused look though I wouldn't say it felt caked-on unless I buffed for longer than 5 mins.
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Buff?? Now Im definately going wrong there cause I do the tap and swirl thing but put it on in a flash, no buffing Shock Well, they you go, thanks ladies, Ive learned something today anyway. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 am      Reply with quote
It really took me a long time to learn to apply BE so it looked perfect on me. Have faith, it will come to you too! 3 of my most important tricks are a) really allow time for the moisturiser to sink into you skin! If you use a heavy cream like Dr.hauschka's rose cream, remember to wipe off excess with a soft tissue. b) cover up red marks with a concealer or some BE on a small brush. c) apply BE very lightly first, then wait 5 min! It will "melt" on your skin and it will be easier to see if you need some more.

Good luck to you!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Cheers Aurora, will give it a try tomorrow. Be better when the light mornings come so I canuse natural light instead of 60 watts Laughing
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Now I'm confused. I thought buffing WAS swirling. Oh dear Sad hmm
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Whats the three rules, all I can remember is "tap"
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Tap, swirl and.. ahem.. buff. Silenced
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Smarty pants...... but I thought u tapped in the middle, before the ....swirly buffy thing Embarassed
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Yes yes, I know. What can I say, I'm word-dyslexic or something Confused
So the order is swirl, tap, swirly-buffy-mysterious thing.
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
hm..never got the hang of this buffing-swirling thing.... I tend to swirl and swirl some more. Seems to work for me Smile Oh..I forgot! I do buff around my nose, easiest way to get the powder even.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, can somebody please explain the difference between swirling and buffing Pray
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
If I have understood correctly swirling is when you use circular movements to distribute the foundation. Buffing is more like pushing the brush on the skin? Confused
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'd better get up an hour earlier tomorrow to see if I can master the art once and for all..... lets creams dry, lots of swirling and masses of buffing

One thing I have found with the BE eyeshadow, they are so fine, seem finer than the foundations or the mineral veil. I only have one colour at the moment (but 3 more on order Very Happy ) and the colour is vanilla sugar, its peachy in the pot but goes on very pale. Its so fine that I can use it as a concealer in the corner of my eyes either side of the nosre, where I tend tog et a dark shadow. Its great.

Am miffed Sad Placed three separate BE orders in the last week and NOW they are giving away a free lip gloss with every order. Just my luck
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Cindi, surely you must have got the mascara though Exclamation And by my calculations, you would have got 3, so can little ol' me have one pretty please? Pray Wink

Aurora, when you push the brush on the skin you do it in a swirling motion right? Brick wall
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |