Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Question - Mineral Makeup Formulators?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Can someone recommend a trusted source for mineral makeup formulation - DIY?

I am using a new powder foundation that I like -but it is a bit too cakey-powdery for me and I'd like to thin it a bit with something shimmery or similar.

Thanks, BFG
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I am not a formulator...just a long time user and reader of mineral forums.

I would try a loose finishing powder. It would help it look more sheer. If you don't have a loose powder, I would like for one with silica or mica.

Or if you have any loose glow powders that would work also.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Can someone recommend a trusted source for mineral makeup formulation - DIY?

I am using a new powder foundation that I like -but it is a bit too cakey-powdery for me and I'd like to thin it a bit with something shimmery or similar.

Thanks, BFG

!00% Pure Pearl Powder works quite well in my MMU that I have made from scratch, just add in small increments until you have the luminosity (no glitter effect) desired. I find it also makes for a smooth and silky application.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks - but do you have the source I order from? Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Thanks - but do you have the source I order from? Smile

The supplier I purchased from went out of business however NCN sells it (to be used internally) but is 100% pure powder. Good enough to eat good enough for the face. Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry but I can't post any links being a newbie Shock

tkbtrading is where I buy all my stuff. They have micronised pearl powder about $7 for 1oz which I've read good things about (but don't use).

What I have used from this supplier which might be of interest to you is:

1) Lauroyl-Lysine coated Serecite which adds a cusion feel and cuts out "cakey-powdery".

2) Micro fine silk powder which adds a very luxurious feel and soft sheen (probably not as much as the pearl)

3) Silica microspheres which give light diffusion (and oil control but this can make it drying so experiment carefully)

For true "glow" you might want to look at Boron Nitride (the larger particle size which I think they call Boron Glow Laughing )but I've not tried the Boron stuff myself.

HTH

Edited to add: having just read another thread, I thought maybe I should mention (especially as I'm new) that I have no commercial link whatsoever to this or any other skincare ingredient company...I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone else, that's all Embarassed )
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
felixia wrote:
Sorry but I can't post any links being a newbie Shock

tkbtrading is where I buy all my stuff. They have micronised pearl powder about $7 for 1oz which I've read good things about (but don't use).

What I have used from this supplier which might be of interest to you is:

1) Lauroyl-Lysine coated Serecite which adds a cusion feel and cuts out "cakey-powdery".

2) Micro fine silk powder which adds a very luxurious feel and soft sheen (probably not as much as the pearl)

3) Silica microspheres which give light diffusion (and oil control but this can make it drying so experiment carefully)

For true "glow" you might want to look at Boron Nitride (the larger particle size which I think they call Boron Glow Laughing )but I've not tried the Boron stuff myself.

HTH

Great felixia,

That is a much better price, I use the silk powder also, got mine from the same place I bought my pearl powder! Laughing no longer around!

Here is the link

http://www.tkbtrading.com/

Welcome to EDS!!!!! Very Happy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi all.

I found some nice powders and pigments at essentialwholesale. They have a large selection.

Sorry, I can't post the link yet.
Mishkyn

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I cannot do a link but Silk Naturals has inexpensive ingredients to formulate your own products.

It takes some getting used to, but it is worth the effort.

All products are very finely milled. Plus they have things like plain Zinc to order.

Several of the lipsticks last forever.
Mishkyn

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Mishkyn wrote:
I cannot do a link but Silk Naturals has inexpensive ingredients to formulate your own products.

It takes some getting used to, but it is worth the effort.

All products are very finely milled. Plus they have things like plain Zinc to order.

Several of the lipsticks last forever.
Mishkyn

A few including silk naturals:

http://www.diycosmetics.com/

http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

!00% Pure Pearl Powder works quite well in my MMU that I have made from scratch, just add in small increments until you have the luminosity (no glitter effect) desired. I find it also makes for a smooth and silky application.

What a great idea! I have a little tub of NCN's pearl powder that I ran out of ideas for..

Do you have a favorite recipe to share? I'd love to give it a try... Pray

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

What a great idea! I have a little tub of NCN's pearl powder that I ran out of ideas for..

Do you have a favorite recipe to share? I'd love to give it a try... Pray

I have a book I purchased (years ago) from Making Cosmetics with a basic recipe, I just tweak and tweak until all is what I like, removed some things and added others. I will look for the book and post it as soon as I can find it! Very Happy

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |