Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

stimulant (adderall) effects on skin & skin-care advice!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
littlepleasance
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:44 am      Reply with quote
I really need some advice about skin care and preventative measures I should take, as well as advice from people who take meds like adderall on how to take care of your skin.

I don't know if anybody here takes stimulant medication for ADHD. I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and began taking amphetamine stimulants (Adderall) shortly after. While the meds have brought a great deal of good into my life, my doctor advises me to take adderall every day, and I am VERY worried about the longterm effects it may have on my skin, particularly in triggering premature aging. (It's like meth afterall!)

If not the medication itself, the wired-up feelings, sleeplessness that the medication causes is certainly very damaging to my skin, I know this. Another awful thing about these meds is that vitamin c supposedly counteracts their effectiveness, so you're advised to avoid foods rich in vitamin c... although I could simply take these things at the end of the day, that's true. My schedule is so erratic though... but maybe I could take these supplements right before bed.

I am 26, by the way, and I've always taken care of my skin although I have to admit nowadays I am not always diligent about it. I try to avoid the sun rays from hitting my face directly as much as possible and have been doing this since I was 16 or so. I also use sunscreen whenever I remember to (I know I've been bad and can't afford to keep neglecting my skin!) I have always been told I look young and my genes are good as both my parents look young, but no amount of good genes is enough to overcome poor lifestyle choices. =( (Stress, too, is a killer for skin health. I tend to be a high-strung person and it's easy for me to get caught up in stress, so I really wonder how do women in high-stress jobs maintain good skin health!?)

About a year ago, I was using the Obagi nu-derm system without physician supervision and saw some good results, but I soon discontinued it (probably because of the peeling).

The state of my skin right now:

- Some Freckles and red spots
- Enlarged pores on my nose and blackheads
- Cheeks have slightly begun to sag (I don't actually have wrinkles yet but I am seeing the beginnings of laugh lines)
- Permanent eye bags/dark circles
- Overall skin quality appears to have lost some elasticity (plumpness)

Can the Obagi system take care of all of this? Is it overkill given my age/skin status?

Please help me!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Aside from correcting eating habits and always using sunscreen, have you thought about or tried some of the newer non-stimulant meds. I would also discuss with this doctor or a new one the side effect of having med induced insomnia. I do think you may find there are better options as far as medication goes, I have a nephew who is on one of the non-stimulant meds. Adderall is highly addictive which will make it harder and harder to wean off of the longer you take it.

JMHO but I would take care of your overall health, and then your skin, which you might find improves on different medication?

Good luck whatever you do. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Darkmoon. Check with your doctor regarding your medication.

As far as Obagi. At your age and with no major hyperpigmentation issues, I would definitely say it is overkill. If anything, you could check with your doc about Retin A, and then make sure you wear a sunscreen every single day.
erica1981
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have been taking Adderall on and off for years, and I noticed that it does seem to make my skin break out more! Not sure if it is directly related to the drug, or possibly dehydration (which is a side effect). About a year ago my DR switched me to Concerta ER, which I find to be much better. No jittery feeling and no trouble sleeping....less effect on my appetite...(less of that "cracked out" feeling LOL)....but still manages to keep me focused.
I believe my skin may have improved since switching, but this could be from use of RetinA, VIT C serum, and a less irritating routine. I have always had trouble skin, but I honestly think that the Adderall made it worse.
I hope this helps! Good Luck! Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Concerta ER is a stimulant as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
You may want to have a look at this site, and then discuss the options with your doctor, I know my nephew refused stimulant medications and is using one of these instead. Very Happy

LIST OF ADHD NON STIMULANT MEDICATIONS

http://www.livestrong.com/article/69259-list-adhd-non-stimulant-medications/

5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the nice replies.

I've actually tried a whole bunch of different ADHD meds, both stimulant and non-stimulant types. That includes Concerta and Strattera but Concerta actually sank me into a deep depression and it was quite scary. I couldn't even feel Strattera.

DarkMoon, I've never seen the meds in the link you pasted. I will look into them. Thank you!

But now, how about a preventative skin care routine for someone like me? Can anyone suggest something for me? I hear so many things, some of them contradicting eachother.

Obagi did wonders for the blackheads on my nose that have plagued me seen my early teens. It was the only skincare product ever really did the trick. I wasn't even on the full regimen, I don't think, and definitely not for the entire recommended course of treatment and I saw benefits. That's why I wanna go back on to it. But if it's going to be harmful to my skin...
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 am      Reply with quote
My partner has adhd. We only discovered this in the last year or so because as I am sure you know the symptoms often go undiagnosed. He is not taking pharmaceutical drugs for it though. He would only take them as a very last resort.

Instead I have been feeding him a really good diet and all the supplements which are supposed to be good for ADHD. We are going to see a homeopath as homeopathy has a good track record for treating the symptoms of adhd. He is also seeing a psychotherapist to address emotional issues.

All this and he is responding well - very well. Infact it is like living with a different person! Wink
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:43 am      Reply with quote
littlepleasance wrote:
Thanks everyone for the nice replies.

I've actually tried a whole bunch of different ADHD meds, both stimulant and non-stimulant types. That includes Concerta and Strattera but Concerta actually sank me into a deep depression and it was quite scary. I couldn't even feel Strattera.

DarkMoon, I've never seen the meds in the link you pasted. I will look into them. Thank you!

But now, how about a preventative skin care routine for someone like me? Can anyone suggest something for me? I hear so many things, some of them contradicting eachother.

Obagi did wonders for the blackheads on my nose that have plagued me seen my early teens. It was the only skincare product ever really did the trick. I wasn't even on the full regimen, I don't think, and definitely not for the entire recommended course of treatment and I saw benefits. That's why I wanna go back on to it. But if it's going to be harmful to my skin...

I agree with rileygirl's recommendations....

rileygirl wrote:
I agree with Darkmoon. Check with your doctor regarding your medication.

As far as Obagi. At your age and with no major hyperpigmentation issues, I would definitely say it is overkill. If anything, you could check with your doc about Retin A, and then make sure you wear a sunscreen every single day.

I would print out a list of the non-stimulant medications and check with your doctor, also as Moon pointed out diet can help immensely there is loads of information available about both foods to avoid and foods that actually help with ADHD. A healthy diet and plenty of water plus some juices can greatly improve your skin! Smile

If I sound a bit adamant it is because I have witnessed long term effects of amphetamines on a family member and I am not an advocate of their use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Littlepleasance: try a low glycaemic index, antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory diet. Beneficial for mental health and is anti-ageing.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |