Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Carole Maggio's Cheekbones
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CS23
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
In her first facercise video, her cheeks were really defined. Has anyone seen results similar to hers?
CS23
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Or did she have cheek implants?
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
You will get many people here that will say she did (along with having her lips done) and others who will swear she didn't. I still think she is a beautiful woman regardless; although, I beleive she wears way too much makeup. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:38 am      Reply with quote
I've built up my cheeks at several points, and it can be done for sure. I think Aprile also had good resuls with her cheeks too and may come along and share.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
FWIW, I think it's cheek implants:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss278/cmphealth/CaroleMaggioOverTheYears.jpg

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I've built up my cheeks at several points, and it can be done for sure. I think Aprile also had good resuls with her cheeks too and may come along and share.

Absolutely Sean ~ But as I posted on another thread, you need to have something to work with. If you don't have much fat in your face, then it's harder to do. The facial muscles are small and mostly flat and you can lift then up and build then some, but you need some fat in your face too. I have noticed that I look better with a little more weight on me because even 5 extra lbs. can dramatically affect my face! Best, Aprile
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Absolutely Sean ~ But as I posted on another thread, you need to have something to work with. If you don't have much fat in your face, then it's harder to do. The facial muscles are small and mostly flat and you can lift then up and build then some, but you need some fat in your face too. I have noticed that I look better with a little more weight on me because even 5 extra lbs. can dramatically affect my face! Best, Aprile

Which gives me another reason to up my goal weight. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
aprile wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Which gives me another reason to up my goal weight. Wink

You are so cute! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Just out of curiousity can you describe to me (and others) why you think its implants? I know you've got a science background and I've been accused myself of having them, and I did chuckle because its not true at all but I'm curious as to what you see in the photos that makes you so sure she's had implants?

cm5597 wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:03 am      Reply with quote
As long as a person is living and breathing, there will always be something to work with. The muscles are smaller, and some are flat, but they are just like other muscles which can be built up and strengthened and become stronger. I am not so sure you need fat in the face, but I think you can build muscles to create fullness that can appear to look like fat. As mentioned in the other thread, Deb is the perfect example (creator of FlexEffect) because she got into facial exercises through reducing her body fat levels (for body building competitions) and noticed that she didn't like the look it gave her face. She managed to use resistance exercises to create muscle bulk and fullness, and that was without additional fat.

aprile wrote:

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 am      Reply with quote
A bit of fat in the face gives a nice, balanced and feminine look. And it's loss of fat, not loss of muscle, that gives those flat cheeks when you age. Estrogen is the key factor here - and people with extra weight produce more estrogen after menopause than skinny people.

Of course there is always something to work with. There is muscle. But muscle does not look or act like adipose tissue. When the face moves you can always tell.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:40 am      Reply with quote
You know its one of those things that is purely personal opinion, re fat in the face, and like most things to me its all about balance and at the end of the day if a person is healthy and has some facial fat and is happy that’s the main thing. However, if a person is say skinny, then I think building up muscles and beefing up the facial tissue has the potential to happen and if it makes them happy so much the better. Its so important to feel good about ourselves, whether fat, skinny or whatever. I think an important element to address here though is its never just about fat, but we’re talking about things like connective tissue, skin etc as well as bone too. And of course all the hormones are involved in them. Whilst I’ve seen people hone in and focus on particular ones like estrogen when you examine the role of hormones you will see that all the major glands produce various ones. Whilst estrogen is often one that’s publicised, there are others like insulin, or the thyroid and if any of these go off balance they can start a dominio chain of reactions internally that takes a while to show up too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
A bit of fat in the face gives a nice, balanced and feminine look. And it's loss of fat, not loss of muscle, that gives those flat cheeks when you age. Estrogen is the key factor here - and people with extra weight produce more estrogen after menopause than skinny people.

Of course there is always something to work with. There is muscle. But muscle does not look or act like adipose tissue. When the face moves you can always tell.

Exactly! I have seen many women who diet to an extreme and it only serves to age their faces. Too little fat is just as much a health issue as too much, a happy healthy medium is needed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Just out of curiousity can you describe to me (and others) why you think its implants? I know you've got a science background and I've been accused myself of having them, and I did chuckle because its not true at all but I'm curious as to what you see in the photos that makes you so sure she's had implants?

cm5597 wrote:

It's not so much a single photo--not sure that I could tell by looking at just one.

Take the top two photos of Carole--I think she is in her early fifties in the one on the right and in her mid-fifties in the one on the left. She has been doing Facercise for over a decade in both photos, and in fact you can even see that her cheeks are becoming flatter with age in between these two photos...probably in large part due to bone loss during menopause, I would speculate.

Then look at the bottom two photos. She suddenly has much larger cheekbones than she ever had. And the shape of them being a bit more dramatically curved (indicative of an implant) than then being more gradually curved (indicative of fillers) makes me think that she has had implants.

Of course, I can't be sure, but it's pretty obvious to me that her cheekbones have suddenly grown in size...not likely to be from Facercise since she's been doing it for more than a decade anyways.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 am      Reply with quote
My eyes see exactly the same thing as yours cm! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

I know that weight gain of just 5-10 lbs helps soften a lot of people's faces--I know it's something that a lot of models and actress do as they get older Smile. However, I want to share that it may not give everyone what they want. I tried the gaining weight thing about 2 years ago when I hated having gaunt cheeks. I'm 5' 4.5", and I went from 115 lbs to almost 139 lbs, and even that weight gain didn't fill out my face totally--probably a punishment for having an ED in my past and weight cycling combined with bad genetics. Moreover, the thing about weight gain is that you don't necessary get the extra fullness to go where you want...that is, it doesn't always create nicer contours. So weight gain does not universally give everyone what they want. Since then, I've dropped almost 20 lbs again (back to around 120 lbs), and with increasing progress using facial exercises, I'm happier with my facial contours now then at my highest weight and am most of the way towards achieving my goals.

Also, the other thing I've been thinking a lot about is that I don't think its just fat loss that contributes to facial thinness and flatness in the cheeks...I'm realizing more and more that bone loss around both the eye area and the cheekbone also contributes to flat cheeks. Because now that I am more sensitive to it and can see it often by just looking at the eye socket, I can really see bone loss even affecting people in their forties. It's still unclear to me exactly how much of a role muscle atrophy plays in the aging process, but I'm convinced that exercising muscle can hugely slow down or reverse facial aging...which would suggest that it must play a significant role in the loss of fullness in the first place...if not directly (whether contributing fullness itself or preventing fat pads from migrating downwards) then indirectly by improving the general health of the face and slowing down the loss of facial fat.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Sure, I knew it wasn’t based on a single photo and that link you provided does show the same four that you have produced above and that’s what I was curious as to what you could see there.

I can see differences in the photo, but that has more to do with the lighting, the colouring and the definition in the shots and the actual angles at which the photos have been taken. Having met Carole, she’s always been very open about what she had done in the past and I’ve never had any reason to doubt her honesty so it is always curious when I see people respond with passion that they have thoughts that her achievements are other than facial exercises and having had accusations myself I’m always curious as to what it is that makes someone think that and so it was pure selfishness really that made me ask as I wanted to see if you could pinpoint anything that I could spot in my own photos that would lead someone to believe I had work done. I haven’t and whilst I’m a proponent of working with facial exercises I know some people do opt for surgery and have tremendous results with it and am happy for them, but I’m always keen to have as many options as possible and natural ones that don’t involve cutting into healthy tissue or spending lots of money.

I think also what doesn’t help in the photos cross selection that’s been put here, is the styling. |The top photos as you say are when she was in her 50’s and even for a 50 year old I think Carole looks pretty good for her age, but her style here is very aging for sure, and the lighting etc are quite extreme whereas in the bottom photos they’re a lot more recent with more natural lighting, and Carole’s hair is darker and so this makes her features a lot more prominent and of course there is the angle of her face too. These photos aren’t head on like the others. Also the bottom left one is where she’s wearing some heavy make up on her lips and some shading/contouring on the cheeks to help better show off the cheekbones, whereas with the first top photos there doesn’t look to be anywhere near the makeup on to the same extent that’s on the bottom two. Also the bottom left photo has her as a snap shot during an interview where she is of course pursing her lips, and her eye is partially shut (but this could be from the lighting) which can be very bright, the bottom right hand photo is a little hazy but when I’m looking at the photos at the top, I don’t see that there is a sudden growth that isn’t there, its just those shots are full on, and where the photo to the top right shows a “flatness” to me that is because its again taken during a demonstration where Carole is speaking. I’m sure there must be shots where Carole posed (in a similar fashion to that in the bottom right hand side) but I’m not completely sure that there is 100% certainty that you or anyone can say she’s definitely had work done.

I think its highly possible that she has achieved some results from Facercising and don’t forget she’s adapted the program as time goes by developing and modifying it and that too has to be taken into consideration. Its like someone asked me a little while ago that they could see changes in my face that were different from the first few years of FlexEffect, well its true, but its not because I’m working with any less intensity, but for sure the new advanced techniques are making a difference and there is build in new places, but one of the places I saw build and I know Deb said she saw build in the early days too was kind of to the side of the cheek bone and the cheekbone itself. Now of course our techniques are different to Caroles, but it is worth considering just what limitations we place on ourselves and others!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I can see differences in the photo, but that has more to do with the lighting, the colouring and the definition in the shots and the actual angles at which the photos have been taken.

I'm pretty sure it's not due to these differences, as her cheekbones bulge out of her face in the latter set of photos. Just look at the unnatural protrusion of her cheekbone on the right side of the lower left photo. With the contrast of her cheek against the background of her hair, you can really see that it's not the makeup or lighting, but the unusual bulging profile of the cheek itself. I'm actually being pretty conservative here, as notice I didn't say anything about her lips, her now different skin texture, her jawline differences, etc. I only pointed out the one thing that I felt very confident on, as I think it's important to be fair and conservative in saying such things.

But I can understand how you are sensitive to that and we are each entitled to our own opinions Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am      Reply with quote
In the later set of photos though, that could easily be from engaging the zygos too. I’ve done that at times for some photos I’ve done in the past (particularly in modelling days) and you do sometimes engage those muscles to add a fullness to the cheeks and sometimes there are poses for the lipls too. If you look at the very top left hand photo, at the cheek bone area, which is the one taken in her 50’s where she is demoing nose shortener, you can see there is prominence in that very area. Whilst she may not be engaging any of the zygos there because she is targeting the nose, I’m sure if she did she would create the same kind of fullness that the bottom shots are showing. Its completely important to be fair and conservative without doubt, and its not so much as being sensitive but throwing all things into the pot to enable people to look at them and consider them.

In both the after shots, you can see she has her jaw and chin pointed forward which completely alters the landscape of anyones face, and in the top photos her chin isn’t as forward. So on first glance you could say that there are obvious cheekbones that aren’t apparent in the before, but when you start looking at things like lighting, face position, makeup etc, you can see how these all can create effects on anyones face. Again the same with the jawline here, and there is a hilarious scene from the Golden Girls which springs to mind where Blanche looks down in the mirror and is horrified because she sees her mother and then Dorothy says to hold the mirrow above her head and look upwards and of course this second phase pleases Blanche immensely. Angled photos can create entirely different looking photos from straight on shots.

For example this is from her photos for her 2002 book:

Whereas this photo is a lot more recent and I think was taken at the same time as her book released this year:

The cheek bone fullness that you point out in the after photos above isn’t so apparent head on from this years photo in comparison, yet its very much still the same lady in question, and even now I think she looks fantastic for her age. Likewise I can’t say that I am aware of anyone else but Maggio who is doing so much for facial exercises in touring the world, going on chat shows etc to really raise the profile of facial exercises. Whilst I personally don’t do her system, there are people who do it and report great results. Even you CM do her Nose Shortener which to me says volumes!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Also the other thing when you compare all 4 photos is that if you look at lip positioning, the top ones all have her with her mouth opened probably because they were taken from clips whilst she was speaking/demoing exercises and the positioning of the lips will of course impact the appearance of the cheek muscles which terminate into and alongside the mouth muscle, whereas if you combine the bottom photos and again notice lip positioning you can see how this too would impact the cheek appearance too. Just food for thought!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Even you CM do her Nose Shortener which to me says volumes!

Yes, of course. I make it no secret that I love her nose shortener, her No Lipo Lipo, and her facial mitt (it's in my usual signature), and I admire her for so many things. Her facial exercise program was the first I did, so I will always be grateful for that and have a soft spot for her. But that said, I'm even more committed to being forthright about things.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Yep for sure, I'm all for that too and Carole has always come across as being forthright and honest so I just always find it strange when people make such statements with almost certainty that work has taken place because from all you have said above there isn't real certainty at all. Likewise if there was definitive proof I'm sure people would have not held back taking out legal action and suspect that the lack of is also food for thought. Like when I was accused, and people went hunting through my hair looking for so called scars, it was hysterical, and Deb has had the same experience at FlexEffect it just makes me really curious as to what people judge as to being signs of surgery etc. Hope you didn't mind me asking but it was pure selfishness on my part, was hoping you might be able to expose something I hadn't considered before!
cm5597 wrote:
Yes, of course. I make it no secret that I love her nose shortener, her No Lipo Lipo, and her facial mitt (it's in my usual signature), and I admire her for so many things. Her facial exercise program was the first I did, so I will always be grateful for that and have a soft spot for her. But that said, I'm even more committed to being forthright about things.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I've said here many times that even though I think Carole has always wore too much makeup, she is still a gorgeous woman who has helped a lot of people change the shape of their face.

That being said, I do not know if she's had work done to her cheeks; although, from the pictures CM posted it does look as though she had. Now, I don't give a rat's patooty if anyone gets cosmetic surgery (I've had my share in the past and have posted about it in a few posts here), botox, fillers, etc... But it is plainly obvious that Carole has had something done to her lips over the years that no amount of facial exercise/makeup tricks can do for a person. Like I said, "Who cares!" But she shouldn't say that her recently fuller lips are from her program (old or new) or from a certain way she applies her lip liner, when the proof is in the pictures.

Like CM stated that in this second picture from the top, Carole is in her 50s and had already been doing her program for at least a decade and her lips are on the thin side. Same for the picture right underneath it where she is a little older.

In this recent picture of her in her 60s, her lips look twice as full (still not as full as they were in that third puckered up picture above...and, yes, she's puckering, but for anyone who's seen that video on youtube you can plainly see she's had something injected into her lips).

I'm not trying to be mean. Like I said above, she is a beautiful woman. I just think she should be honest with what she's obviously had done.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Here's an older video of her (sorry, I though I could post the actual video her, but the link will take you to the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voEpaEi80kw&feature=related

Compare that video to the video of her years later. I believe this was made before she updated her lip exercises. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But take a look and freeze the video at around 1:00, after she makes the comment about people picking their nose and makes that odd face. Holy cow! Her lips are huge there! Shock Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zga_eQc3uxc

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Sure, you know I can see that there is a lot of makeup sometimes, and you know I’m not here to judge anyone for wearing make up or not. Likewise if someone has cosmetic surgery, I’m never going to wave a finger or accuse someone at having had work done, unless I have definitive proof. I’m just not comfortable with making it a statement of fact that someone has had work done without any definitive proof and the wording above hasn’t proven that to me yet.

Like I said, I know I’ve been on the other end of those accusations, and whilst I do think in some shape or form it is indeed a compliment that what I am doing is working, there are different ways of delivering it.

Interesting enough with your comment re her lips, I don’t see this myself. However, I do and have changed my lips and sometimes done it in front of female friends just to show them that you can of course change your lips making them fuller and somewhat enlarged. If you read through the facercise thread, you’ll see there were people who have noticed and recorded that they did see changes in their lips from doing that exercise – so it does make me wonder whether you both think that the people who report the changes in their own lips are lying or delusional or something entirely different?

Likewise the make up tricks whilst they cannot alter the actual lips themselves they can improve the overall appearance of them and create a kind of fullness and there are some wonderful books out there that show people how to do this and I think Carole obviously has been under a lot of scrutiny over her appearance being with the business she is in its probably understandable that she wants to make the best of anything, but I’ve no reason to doubt her at her word with what she does and I’ve not yet seen anything definitive that can lead me to say 100% that she has definitely had work done. Even in that photo you posted from her Lorraine show segment, you can see she still has very prominent cheek bones and I can’t say that I see any evidence of this as surgery and when I’m asking people who say they think it is so, they can’t seem to show me any either. I mean for all purposes who can say that the proof that is in the photos isn’t from the exercises – particularly when she’s telling people how she’s achieved this and what she does and then people have tried it out and seen changes for themselves?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |