Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Fruit on your face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CindyLouise
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I was reading a beauty blog about a lady who uses fresh fruits and veggies as facial masks. She simply rubs the juices on her face, let's it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinses off. Have any of you done this before? I don't see why the acids and antioxidants wouldn't be good for you. Sounds like a simple, inexpensive mask to me!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
CindyLouise wrote:
I was reading a beauty blog about a lady who uses fresh fruits and veggies as facial masks. She simply rubs the juices on her face, let's it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinses off. Have any of you done this before? I don't see why the acids and antioxidants wouldn't be good for you. Sounds like a simple, inexpensive mask to me!

Aubrey Organics got their start in a similar way, she did use a processor to blend fruits ect. to a mask like consistency. Many home treatments have been done this way for a very long time! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I got the impression that using fruit masks used to be very common.
I really haven't done too much of this, mostly because I don't like the feeling of cold, wet, sticky stuff dripping down my neck!

What I've found though is that if you apply any kind of goopy mask and then cover with one of those paper masks you can get at japanese dollar stores, and maybe wet it first or mist it down as you go so it doesn't absorb all your goop, you can mask longer so more of it will absorb into your skin before it dries up.

There's also less chance of it dripping down your neck!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
CindyLouise
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ooh I'm getting pretty excited about this idea!

These are the fruit/veggie suggestions from the site:
Citrus: Lemon, orange, lime, tangerines – you can use the flesh/juice itself, or just rub the rinds on your face. Either way, don’t leave citrus on for more than 10-15 minutes. Also, it can cause photosensitivity (and lightening of the skin), so be wary of spending much time in the sun for a few hours after you’ve done this. Best for: Acneic and oily skin, as well as any skin with a lot of built-up dead skin cells. Be careful with broken skin, though.
Berries: Strawberries (great for any skin type, but especially acne), cranberry, grape (great for aging skin).
Fruits: Apples, mangoes, kiwi (especially!), papaya, banana, tomato (great for acne), pomegranate, pear.
Melons: Cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon (great for dry skin and age spots).
Veggies: Eggplant (great for moles, as it’s anti-cancer), avocado (for dry and aging skin), pumpkin, potato (fabulous for acne and oily skin), lettuce, cucumber (for sensitive and dry skin), onions (for acne and oily skin).

I'm just so darn paranoid about breaking out. I'd feel pretty silly rubbing fruit on my face and waking up the next day all pimply. What do you think the chances are of. Breaking out after doing this sort of thing?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Call me skeptical but I just can't see any of this stuff being able to penetrate your skin to be able to do any good.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Why not? It'd be the same as any other topical. What about the way fruit enzyme peels work?

Everyone's skin is different, but I don't think fruit would generally break someone out due to clogging pores. But given that its acidic, it might irritate. And fruit is a common allergy, so don't apply anything you wouldn't eat. I sometimes get a reaction to apples, so I definitely wouldn't apply those. Maybe start with something you really like eating.
The onions sound like a big screaming NO to me.

I wouldn't go rubbing any of it in though... just gently apply it, especially if you're worried about sensitivity.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
Call me skeptical but I just can't see any of this stuff being able to penetrate your skin to be able to do any good.

As a mask they can have benefits, papaya and pineapple both have digestive enzymes that rid skin of dead cells.

Others like milk, yogurt...lactic acid. same avocados, honey and others moisturize.

I personally would not leave any on over night, I think of these just like any mask, temporary improvement in skin appearance, they are very cheap at least! Not replacing my proven topicals! Very Happy

5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

Hahahaha! I have no urge to put anything STINKY on my face anyways. Onions are definitely a no go. I have strawberries in my fridge right now! I might wait until my boyfriend isn't home, he'll think I'm crazy!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Why not? It'd be the same as any other topical. What about the way fruit enzyme peels work?

Everyone's skin is different, but I don't think fruit would generally break someone out due to clogging pores. But given that its acidic, it might irritate. And fruit is a common allergy, so don't apply anything you wouldn't eat. I sometimes get a reaction to apples, so I definitely wouldn't apply those. Maybe start with something you really like eating.

I wouldn't go rubbing any of it in though... just gently apply it, especially if you're worried about sensitivity.

Aren't fruit enzyme masks usually a mixture of ingredients, not just the straight fruit on your face? I just can't see munching up an apple and applying it to your face and having that mixture be able to penetrate your skin. I think it would just sit on top of your skin.
CindyLouise
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, this is starting to sound a lot like the smoothie I made this evening, I should have saved some for my face!

Im definitely not expecting any miracles, I just think it would be a neat thing to try out. I've recently switched to a gel cleanser from a beaded exfoliating cleanser (vivier hexam), and I'm sure I could use some exfoliation. I'm hoping the acids from fruit might help.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
CindyLouise wrote:
DarkMoon, this is starting to sound a lot like the smoothie I made this evening, I should have saved some for my face!

Im definitely not expecting any miracles, I just think it would be a neat thing to try out. I've recently switched to a gel cleanser from a beaded exfoliating cleanser (vivier hexam), and I'm sure I could use some exfoliation. I'm hoping the acids from fruit might help.

For me personally I have found that they do, you can even blend nonfat dry milk into your fruit mix and that adds the lactic acid plus helps to thicken it more to a paste....no dripping! Very Happy

5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
You don't think that milk or powdered milk could be comedogenic? I definitely don't have powdered milk in the house, but i like the idea of thickening the fruit juices with it! I think I'll have to do some research on this. I have the feeling that I'm going to buying some powered milk this weekend. The knowledge you guys have is so great for a newcomer like me! I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. And DarkMoon, I officially think you are a beauty genius!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 am      Reply with quote
CindyLouise,

You are too sweet, I am no beauty genius, just been around a good while!

To answer Nonfat Dry Milk is more drying than anything, I knew girls who used it alone as a mask (in a mix with water) to prevent breakouts, the non fat part is what I believe makes it not comedogenic in any way.

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 am      Reply with quote
CindyLouise wrote:
I was reading a beauty blog about a lady who uses fresh fruits and veggies as facial masks. Have any of you done this before? I don't see why the acids and antioxidants wouldn't be good for you. Sounds like a simple, inexpensive mask to me!

I have a feeling you will enjoy this thread Wink

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33290&highlight=spa+recipes

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Be careful of using fruit acids on your skin if you have rosacea.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy:
I want to try PINEAPPLE + CARROT MASK

on my sensitive face. I want to know I should use fresh pineapple or from the can.

Kassy_A wrote:
I have a feeling you will enjoy this thread Wink

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33290&highlight=spa+recipes

5% products discount

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy , thanks so much for the link! I haven't gone through the whole thing yet, but I can't wait to read everyone's ideas.

Just an update for everyone - I was reading on that food on your face blog again, and found a recipe for nutmeg and milk. It had countless rave reviews. I was impulsive and tried it out immediately. The instructions said to mix The ingredients (I used almond milk), and gently exfoliate your face with it, then leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes. I had it on my face for about 45 seconds and it started burning. I rinsed it off right away, but couldn't rinse away this awful greasy film on my skin. I had to use my cleanser again to get it off. I was hoping that my first homemade experience would be fun, but I ended up with a burny face and a very dirty sink. Oh well, I wont let this discourage me! Next week I'll try something else!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I have done yogurt masks before, they are very calming. I may add some fruit in, or better yet use the fruit yogurt because I'm lazy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
CindyLouise wrote:
Kassy , thanks so much for the link! I haven't gone through the whole thing yet, but I can't wait to read everyone's ideas.

Just an update for everyone - I was reading on that food on your face blog again, and found a recipe for nutmeg and milk. It had countless rave reviews. I was impulsive and tried it out immediately. The instructions said to mix The ingredients (I used almond milk), and gently exfoliate your face with it, then leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes. I had it on my face for about 45 seconds and it started burning. I rinsed it off right away, but couldn't rinse away this awful greasy film on my skin. I had to use my cleanser again to get it off. I was hoping that my first homemade experience would be fun, but I ended up with a burny face and a very dirty sink. Oh well, I wont let this discourage me! Next week I'll try something else!

Ooooh, it's never a good sign when you feel a "burn" from skin or hair care products..

Hopefully it won't happen again with different products, but if it does, instead of compounding the inflammation with more cleanser, just put some apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball, which will remove any remnants of product, and also repair the acid mantle...

Hope all is well now Smile

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I have done yogurt masks before, they are very calming. I may add some fruit in, or better yet use the fruit yogurt because I'm lazy.

Go for the fresh fruit added to "plain" yogurt... Who needs all that 'fructose' or other sweeteners on their lovely face? Very Happy (Not to mention food coloring...LOL

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
beauty mask wrote:
Kassy:
on my sensitive face. I want to know I should use fresh pineapple or from the can.

I could have sworn "DarkMoon" answered this for you and said to use fresh pineapple...

I totally agree with "fresh" and that goes for any of the home spa fruit facials/masks.

Just be really careful with the pineapple.. The enzymes in it go to work quickly to remove the dead skin cells and sebum from the stratum corneum..(top layer of the epidermis)..

For sensitive skin just start out with a minute or two (if you don't feel any burning)... You can progress from there as you see how your skin reacts.. Once a month can even be beneficial. Very Happy

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
beauty mask wrote:
Kassy:

I could have sworn "DarkMoon" answered this for you and said to use fresh pineapple...

I totally agree with "fresh" and that goes for any of the home spa fruit facials/masks.

Just be really careful with the pineapple.. The enzymes in it go to work quickly to remove the dead skin cells and sebum from the stratum corneum..(top layer of the epidermis)..

For sensitive skin just start out with a minute or two (if you don't feel any burning)... You can progress from there as you see how your skin reacts.. Once a month can even be beneficial. Very Happy

LOL. Kassy I did respond to beauty mask on the Home Spa Recipe thread and gave her the same advice basically! Very Happy
I just didn't want you to think you were imagining things! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:36 pm      Reply with quote

LMAO!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

LMAO!!!

Tag you're it! LOL.

5% products discount

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice Kassy_A. My skin has recovered. I've never tried apple cider vinegar. Is the overall idea to use it as a toner/astringent?

I think I want my next mask to be something simple, like mashed strawberries. Or maybe that is too simple?

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |