Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Good moisturizer for prevention and help with fine lines
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not looking for anything too strong that may cause peeling.

Something with good mositurizing, fine line prevention and help with fine lines (simple, right?!)

I've got dry/normal skin which can be sensitive.

I use Vitamin C (not usually in winter though because too drying) and try to use sunblock.

Any recs greatly appreciated!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I use 100% pure emu oil at night. Ive read good things about it...it is supposed to help with fine lines and wrinkle prevention. I've only been using it for a few weeks so likely not enough time to see if it does indeed fade my fine lines.
I think microdermabrasion definitely helps in prevention.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Which form of vitamin C are you using Cautious? L-ascorbic acid is fairly harsh due to the pH required for absorption, but magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is equally effective and can be used at a far less irritating pH.

Lanolin is incredible at hydrating and protecting the skin because it supplies the cholesterol and saturated fatty acids that are found in a healthy skin barrier. The medical/ cosmetic grades are considered non-allergenic and thus suitable for sensitive or reactive skin. My skin adores Weleda baby calendula face cream, which I mix with aloe vera gel which has proven healing, calming and anti-ageing properties.

IMO one needs to take many of the emu oil claims with a pinch of salt. I recently did some research and found no scientific evidence that emu has anti-ageing properties, in fact very little research on emu oil has been published in any reputable dermatology journal. Instead it appears that many of the claims originated in 'trials' carried out for and on behalf of the American Emu Association, ie. biased. Emu oil is ~50% oleic acid, and thus has far more in common with olive and avocado oils than it does with the composition of the stratus corneum (skin barrier). Oleic acid does not have a good track record in the literature, in fact it has been associated with abnormal keratinisation and irritation! Shock

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
mikakane

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Oh boy...I feel let down now. Instead of researching emu oil I searched oleic acid and didn't find too many good things.
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't researched this, but I've been told that coconut oil is a good choice for wrinkle prevention. I have a good friend from Hawaii who says this is all she uses. She is my age, 57, and looks about 40, and coconut oil is the only product she uses. Perhaps she just has good skin.... Firefox knows more than I do! Maybe she will chime in about coconut oil.

I do use it on my body and on my face when I am not using Obagi. I can tell you that my body skin is so much better since I began using coconut oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Kgeaux wrote:
I haven't researched this, but I've been told that coconut oil is a good choice for wrinkle prevention. I have a good friend from Hawaii who says this is all she uses. She is my age, 57, and looks about 40, and coconut oil is the only product she uses. Perhaps she just has good skin.... Firefox knows more than I do! Maybe she will chime in about coconut oil.

I do use it on my body and on my face when I am not using Obagi. I can tell you that my body skin is so much better since I began using coconut oil.

Well I find the studies CAN be biased either way (intentional or unintentional)and many scientists and doctors say so. I also think there is a lot to be said for empirical evidence, so if it is working for you stick with it. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:21 am      Reply with quote
Depends what you are looking for Kgeaux and what your skintype is. Like any oil or butter coconut is a decent occlusive/ emollient and will help protect the skin against both water loss and likely somewhat against harsh cleansing products (sulphates, soaps). I believe coconut oil also has a low SPF! But it won't feed the skin in the way other oils and butters can by replenishing the skin barrier, because of its fatty acid profile. That is more important for some than others: those of us with dry skin, dermatitis, acne or using harsh products such as Retin-A often do best on a product that supplies lipids found naturally in the skin barrier. You may find your skin needs nothing more than what coconut oil can offer. IMO the best use for coconut oil is in the hair because it is rich in lauric acid, a small molecule that can enter the shaft and protect against protein loss during washing, chemical processes etc. And cheap as chips! Very Happy

Your friend may well be benefiting from using coconut oil, the fact that it is the only product she uses may also be playing a role (no harsh chemicals!), her diet, lifestyle/ activity levels and of course genetics. Likely her youthful looks are a complex interplay of these factors. The only way that I know of to pick the interplay apart is relying on longitudinal population studies, review papers and other meta-analyses.

DarkMoon is spot on to say that studies can be biased, but there are systems in place to limit that. One would look at which journal a paper was published in, the professional capacity of the authors, whether that journal is rigorously peer reviewed, read and critique the methodology, check if it is single or double blind, see whether other studies or sound theories support the claims etc. The following is a paragraph I wrote on another forum which explains why I suggest people take the claims made for emu oil with a pinch of salt.

"IIRC what I didn't find was much on PubMed about emu oil in dermatology, just this and this. Whilst the abstracts are interesting note what the control substances were and what is known about wound healing. BTW there are numerous published papers on aloe barbadensis demonstrating its wound healing/ anti-inflammatory/ collagen inducing properties, using standardised and stabilised extracts just as reputable skincare manufacturers do. I cherry picked twenty pages of copied and pasted abstracts for my own use from the 1825 available on PubMed. There are just 33 entries for emu oil on PubMed, so I am surprised to read in xxxxxx's link that "it helps to heal adverse skin conditions better than any plant based product. It out performs aloe vera or lavender oil when applied to burns. It is usually more effective than conventional medications such as cortisone at reducing inflammation and related pain" Laughing NB: This is NOT a full literature search nor everything I read so others should do their own research. Note that many of the emu oil studies utilise laboratory animals which some may find distressing to read."

This was the link that I referred to and quoted from. It is sites like these and the American Emu Association in-house 'trials' that are often parroted on forums.
http://www.wonderoil.com/emu_oil_faq_s
And the links to the only two published studies on emu oil and skin I found; you will need a translator app if you wish to read the entire studies.
http://www.j-smu.com/pdf2/200411/2004111255.pdf
http://www.j-smu.com/pdf2/200504/200504407.pdf

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Hello (long time no see!),
I think we need to separate between moisturizing (which will not prevent fine lines) and preventing fine lines.

If your main issue is preventing fine line then you need to look creams with actives that will prevent it. I would recommend Retin-A micro which is less irritating than Retin-A. With time it will build collagen (less wrinkles), disperse melanin (less age/sun spots) and make your skin smoother.

Now for moisturizing, I would suggest just a sunscreen for the day (since it has moisturizing stuff on it and at least for me putting moisturizing + sunscreen is a bit too much) and then either Lipikar, Cerave or EpiCeram work for me (these are creams rich in ceramides which help restore the lipid barrier that I attack every night with the Retin A Smile )

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 am      Reply with quote
FireFox,

I actually did a ton of reading (no links to post) but it was noted that even the double blind peer reviewed studies can be easily biased. I am not suggesting we throw the baby out with the bath water, however I look for several sources to read. Some of these scientists/doctors are proposing a better system to prevent biases be instituted. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
I think we need to separate between moisturizing (which will not prevent fine lines) and preventing fine lines.

If your main issue is preventing fine line then you need to look creams with actives that will prevent it. I would recommend Retin-A micro which is less irritating than Retin-A. With time it will build collagen (less wrinkles), disperse melanin (less age/sun spots) and make your skin smoother.

Now for moisturizing, I would suggest just a sunscreen for the day (since it has moisturizing stuff on it and at least for me putting moisturizing + sunscreen is a bit too much) and then either Lipikar, Cerave or EpiCeram work for me (these are creams rich in ceramides which help restore the lipid barrier that I attack every night with the Retin A Smile )

Josee!!!! Hello and so good to see you here! Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:

Hi Josee! Excellent advice, as always!
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 am      Reply with quote
Hello y'all! Oh do I miss my EDS days!
So much has happened in my life since then. I'm (as you can obviously tell) super busy, chronically sleep deprived, but great (esp. since when they ask me for my ID when buying wine, or when people ask me if I'm a med student!) Laughing

I bit the bullet and went with a non-derm friend to a botox and fillers course and it was so much fun. I won't do it professionally but my mom is loving the results Very Happy

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
Hello y'all! Oh do I miss my EDS days!
So much has happened in my life since then. I'm (as you can obviously tell) super busy, chronically sleep deprived, but great (esp. since when they ask me for my ID when buying wine, or when people ask me if I'm a med student!) Laughing

I bit the bullet and went with a non-derm friend to a botox and fillers course and it was so much fun. I won't do it professionally but my mom is loving the results Very Happy

It sounds like life is very good, and those compliments are so nice to get especially when not someone kissing tail!
How interesting it must be to learn to do the fillers and botox.....envy! Laughing

5% products discount

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Pai Skincare has a Macadamia Dry/Mature Skin cream. They are a wonderful brand - I'm young so I don't need it, but I'd recommend their line to anyone.
liuliameng
5% products discount

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:56 am      Reply with quote
ErinJoy27 wrote:
Pai Skincare has a Macadamia Dry/Mature Skin cream. They are a wonderful brand - I'm young so I don't need it, but I'd recommend their line to anyone.

Really? Where can buy this product?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:21 am      Reply with quote
liuliameng wrote:
ErinJoy27 wrote:

Really? Where can buy this product?

http://www.paiskincare.com/

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:51 am      Reply with quote

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |