Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Jane Iredale Absence
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tiffy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Does anyone use Jane Iredale Absence? I have extremely oily skin. I was thinking of buying this, it sounds really good. Does it really work and is it worth the money? I would love to hear any other oily skin remedies if you have some.
Thanks
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Tiffy, cant help you there, but am interested in any replies as a friend of mine has v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v oily skin and it gets her so down Sad
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Chunlisa just did a review about it. It sounded soooo tempting that I couldn't resist ordering it and it is on its way...here is her review.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4323

Liz
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I just bought the JI Absence on Wednesday (I have the oiliest skin on the planet, it’s sensitive, too), based on ChunLisa's review. I realize that it’s only been two days, but so far I have to say that I’m not impressed. It doesn’t seem to be any better than the Smashbox anti-shine products or any of the others from the endless list that I’ve used, and I wasn’t impressed with those either! Let me just say that I’m glad I kept the receipt for the Absence because I’ll be returning it posthaste. It was a waste of money. I’ll stick with my tried-but-true, old fashioned remedy to control shine on my oily skin: applying a (very) thin layer of (plain, unflavored) Milk of Magnesia (yes, the laxative stuff) over my face, letting it dry, then applying my makeup.

Even though I’m not impressed with the Absence, I’ll tell you what I am impressed with to help regulate my oil production: Decleor’s Ylang Ylang aromessence oil (apply both morning and night after cleansing/toning) and Decleor’s Hyda-mat Regulating Fluid (I think that’s it’s official name) which you apply in the morning only, after the Ylang Ylang oil. Now I’ve seen a REAL difference in my face since I started using these products. Yes, they’re expensive ($58USD and $32USD, respectively) but IMHO, they’re completely worth the price! I know most oily-skin folks think that putting oil on top of oil to control oil is an oxymoron, but it actually DOES work....the suggestion to try these two products also came from ChunLisa.

HTH,
Carrie
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:15 am      Reply with quote
A friend of mine has really oily skin and she has to blott her face with paper up to 10 days a day Shock Shock She's tried alsorts to no avail. I'll tell her about the Milk of Magnesia, she'll laugh but if it works........ I know she has used the decleor oils before too and found that helpful, maybe I should remind her about them. Im not sure which one does what, so I'll swot up on them too for myself.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:59 am      Reply with quote
FYI - in addition to applying a thin layer of MoM before putting on your makeup, you can also apply it as a mask a couple times per week: wash face as normal, pat face completely dry. Slather on a layer of MoM, paying particular attention to your oiliest areas (i.e.: if you only have an oily T-zone, then you only need to apply it there...personally, I’m oily all over – including my friggin eyelids!!!). Let mask dry thoroughly (typically 10-15 minutes...the longer you leave it on, the better it’s supposed to work) then rinse with cool or lukewarm water, pat dry. Followup with toner and your normal after-cleansing regimen (i.e.: apply serums, moisturizer/s, etc).

A word of advice: make sure that your MoM is the unflavored kind (generic version is okay, you can find it in the indigestion/laxative aisle at any drugstore or supermarket) because the flavored versions might irritate your skin.
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll give her a call now..... Razz
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Carekate, I've told my pal about the MOM. I think she thought I was winding her up at first, then I read her your posts, she was laughing so much, especially about the eyelids cause hers are so oily too!! I think she feels a little more normal knowing she's not the only one. Anyway, she has also tried Smashbox's anti shine products and they were returned as they didnt work. At the moment she's using something called Cosmetics A La Carte Matte Miracle ""An Instant T-zone 'mattifier', this ingenious formula helps to clarify and refine skin texture for a healthier appearance. Matte Miracle's unique matrix system of high performance shine-stoppers blots away shine, hydrates where needed and brings oily skin into perfect equilibrium. Anti-bacterial tea tree and lavender help to prevent blemishes and keep skin free of pore-clogging oil. Available in two shades: Light and Medium"" Not sure if this is available where you are, she got it off QVC UK but she said it does work. Try and check it out. Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I’m glad I could help her! One more word of caution: I *do* apply a very thin layer of MoM on my eyelids, along with the rest of my face, before I put on my makeup. But I would *not* apply the MoM to my eyelids when I’m using it as a mask because I’m afraid it might dry out the eye area TOO much.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, that logic really doesn’t make much sense. I mean, if I don’t have dryness problems applying the MoM under my makeup and leaving it on all day, then why would it hurt to slather it on as part of the mask??? Oh well. I still don’t think I’d do it!

Anyway, let me know if the MoM trick works for your friend. I’ve never heard of that product you mentioned, but I’ll have to see if I can track it down somewhere. I checked the American QVC website but I couldn’t find it...I guess if worse comes to worst, I can always order it from QVC-UK!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I checked QVC USA too and it wasnt there. At least is you go onwww.qvcuk.com and do a search for Cosmetics A La Carte, you can see what it is properly. I think all they products are hand made Rolling Eyes

The QVC USA sight has alot of brands on their beauty section that I wish they had here in the U.K. Would be a great way to try them out first. Its alot of money to waste when u buy something and use it once or twice, like I often do. I bought 5 products from Dr Perricone on Ebay that cost me £90. They were only small too and I never even used them. I'm such a bad girl Bad Grin
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:14 am      Reply with quote
P.S. I think your friend and I still might actually be freaks because eyelids aren’t even supposed to have any sebum glands so how the hell are they able to get oily in the first place??? Eyelids and lips are the only places on the face that don’t have sebum glands to produce their own lubricant! Personally, I think I’d rather have oily lips and dry eyelids...at least that way you’d never have to worry about getting chapped lips!!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Your right there carekate, Ive never known any one have oily eye lids either, only Joanne, and now you. But your not freaks, just little blips on mother nature's earth Laughing Laughing
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Do QVCuk deliver to the USA?
If not, you can order direct from Cosmetics A La Carte. They charge £10 for the first 2 items and then £1 for every subsequent item. If you spend over £20 you get to choose 2 free samples of their other products.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Hey there! Yup, I'm a HUGE fan of Absence -- but again, I also started to use the Decleor Ylang Ylang and Hydra-Matte fluid at the same time, so I can't, for sure, tell you which one was really controlling my oil glands.

Sorry to hear that the Absence isn't working for you, CareKate (aka Austin)! =D I AM glad, however, that you like the Ylang Ylang and the Regulating Fluid -- perhaps that's really what's "working"? I am tempted to just stop using one of the products for a week (and then switch to the other product) to test which one is really the oil-controller =D
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Decleor Ylang Ylang oil and balm. The oil really sorted out my oily skin. It actually worked so well that the skin on my nose started to dry out. Turns out my skin wasn't quite as oily as I first thought. Rolling Eyes
I wouldn't be surprised if you discovered that it is the Decleor that is the true 'oil-controller'.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
I have the Decleor Ylang Ylang oil and balm. The oil really sorted out my oily skin. It actually worked so well that the skin on my nose started to dry out. Turns out my skin wasn't quite as oily as I first thought. Rolling Eyes
I wouldn't be surprised if you discovered that it is the Decleor that is the true 'oil-controller'.
OHG -- I had the same thing happen this weekend! The skin around my nostrils started flakey because my nose wasn't as oily as I had originally believed either!! So now I just apply the Decleor Ylang Ylang oil to the top of my nose, plus everywhere else on my face and the previous oily-skin-of-my-nightmares is gone! Where the heck is that review for Ylang Ylang oil? I need to go add my rave to it....BTW, unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck with my JI Absence -- the store where I bought it doesn't do returns on cosmetics. Wankers!! And this, after I specifically asked them, before I bought it, if I'd be able to bring it back if it didn't work for me. Grrrrr!
Mabsy

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone one used the Absence without using the Ylang Ylang at the same time? The MUA reviews on Absence are great but I'd still like an "EDS opinion" if possible Smile
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:12 am      Reply with quote
I purchased the abscence back in december and it still sits untouched. Having had oily skin for years I still order and buy products specific to that skin type. Not sure why my skin has changed but it is no longer oily. My guess would be the Obagi system.

I am hoping the abscence purchase and seeing it sit unused will be a better reminder in the future. Money wasted on products that are wrong for my skin could have been spent on trying new products lol.

Sherri
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I personally really like Absence. A friend and I found it at a day spa and fell in love with it. Using a clean finger or sponge, it seemed to fill in pores a bit and it really does keep me from having to resort to blotting papers all throughout the day (I only use one now, hehe.) I tried using the JI oil-control spritz and the Absence works best between the two (although I love both, despite being undecided as to whether the spritz really works or just feels good!)

*edit* I also wanted to add that this acts as a good primer, too! Not that I've ever had any probs with JI loose minerals wearing off, but if someone has a blotchy complexion or uses more ephemeral powders and stuff, this would help even their tone out a bit and enhance stay-power.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies!

Okay, out of curiosity as to what is really helping my skin to be less oily (Decleor Ylang Ylang or Jane Iredale Absence), I went a few days just using the Decleor Ylang Ylang and Hydra Matte Regulating Fluid (which is what I always use UNDER my Absence).

Well . . . I was OILY OILY OILY without the Absence! Yah! I was completely dumbfounded because it was a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. I think I've been using Absence for a WHILE now so I am not used to seeing that SHINE anymore. I looked in the mirror in the morning (after 4 hours of having make up on) and I was shiny and yucky)! Confused

So . . . my conclusion is that Ylang Ylang and Hydra Matte do help to smooth out my skin texture (and perhaps do some oil controlling) but the Absence DEFINITELY contributes the majority of the oil control.

Glad I solved THAT mystery! =D
Lisa
Mabsy

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful! Thank you both for the feedback. I'll give this a go Smile
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
carekate -- I take great comfort in now knowing that I am not the only person in the world with REALLY oily eyelids. I swear, my eyelids are the oiliest spot on my entire face. I apply eye makeup and it's melting away within an hour! Sad I will definitely pick up some milk of magnesia when I'm in the store -- JUSt for my eyelids!!!

Thanks!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 am      Reply with quote
UPDATE: Okay, I still say this stuff does absolutely nothing for me in terms of controlling oil, but I have to admit that it’s growing on me. I got stuck with it, because when I went back to my beauty boutique to return/exchange the Absence for something else, the snooty SA informed me that there is no returns/exchanges on cosmetics or skincare items. She tells me this after I *specifically* asked, on the day I originally purchases it, if I’d be able to bring it back if I didn’t like it and was assured that this would be no problem!! Lying b*stards. Anyway, I digress. Since I’ve gotten stuck with the stuff, I decided I may as well get some use out of it...as I said, it does NOT control the shinies for me, but it’s a wonderful makeup primer. It just makes my JI pressed powder foundation go on much more smoothly, and my skin feels and looks like velvet afterwards. So I guess I’ll keep using the Absence until it’s gone, but I don’t know if I’d spend the money to repurchase it.....

Carrie
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |