Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Would you trust hair color from the 99 cents store?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
A friend of mine said she used the hair color from the 99 cents store to color her hair because her son who is a hair stylist uses it for his clients. She said it is good quality from Korea. Would you trust hair color from the 99 cents store?
Toxic.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Certainly not.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Nope. Which is why I insist on knowing which formula hair stylists put on my hair. I usually do it myself (with professional products, NOT from Sally's budget collection) now, but I once when somewhere when they planned on putting inferior Color Charm on my hair. I walked out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
Nope. Which is why I insist on knowing which formula hair stylists put on my hair. I usually do it myself (with professional products, NOT from Sally's budget collection) now, but I once when somewhere when they planned on putting inferior Color Charm on my hair. I walked out.

You mean there is a cheap brand called Colour Charm?

I used to buy Wella Colour Charm semi permanent hair colour from a actual salon and it is not cheap- like $15 for the colour tube, then you need to get the developper separately.

There is no Sally store where I live and I really do not look at drugstore colour either.

The store/salon I go to they carry at least 30+ brands of professional hair colour and can also order any salon item if they do not have it.
Not sure if their prices are good though as they are not online and do not advertise (but been in same location 25 years...)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
Ava with wings wrote:

I used to buy Wella Colour Charm semi permanent hair colour from a actual salon and it is not cheap- like $15 for the colour tube, then you need to get the developper separately.

There is no Sally store where I live and I really do not look at drugstore colour either.

The store/salon I go to they carry at least 30+ brands of professional hair colour and can also order any salon item if they do not have it.
Not sure if their prices are good though as they are not online and do not advertise (but been in same location 25 years...)

LOL. The only Color Charm I know of is Wella, they make permanent and semi permanent products and have been used here in the states by salons for ages.
Sally's does carry the brand here, but that does not make it bad!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
The problem with shop bought hair dye is that it tends to contain far too much ammonia/peroxide (I forget which one) because it is not legal to sell over the counter salon standard hair dye... Or at least in the UK this is the case.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
The problem with shop bought hair dye is that it tends to contain far too much ammonia/peroxide (I forget which one) because it is not legal to sell over the counter salon standard hair dye... Or at least in the UK this is the case.

Many professional brands are readily available in the US to the average consumer. Very Happy

Ammonia content will also depend on whether it is Permanent, Demi or Semi Permanent.

If you buy what I am referring to with permanent color you purchase the color and peroxide separately and then mix it your self.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:

I have no idea if it is legal or illegal in my city to sell salon hair dye and products.
I just know the salon my mother used to go to, they do sell everything they stock.
But if you have no idea how to do your hair or seem clueless, they might not reccomend you buy stuff.

-well the salon that sells me the professional dyes they have temporary colour (I used to buy some brand that came in a mousse can and left shimmer in your hair for a couple washes).
But most of what they sell is the hair colour in tubes and the store staff is nice enough to just sell me enough developper for 1 use as I do not want a 1 liter bottle and do not colour my hair much (they usually charge me $2 when I bring my own bottle to fill).

The "problem" with buying salon dye is it is not a kit with mixing bottles and you need to buy every item separately like mixibg bowl,brush,mixing bottle,gloves ect...
*I just got rid of my stuff as it was looking worn out...so not super cheap to do my own hair now...need to buy all new tools.

I also used to be able to get "professional size" jugs of conditioner from another hair supply shop for a very good deal (for stuff they decided not to use...but I know the store manager there Wink

*I used to use Goldwell hair foam
*Sebastian Colorshines/laminates hair gloss (only prob was it costed $60 for a large bottle..but maybe 8-10 uses for me)
http://www.sleekhair.com/1596.html
-it used to come in a bottle when i bought it a few years ago...

**I actually haven't dyed my hair in a couple years. might get back to doing that for the summer though Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:

Where did you get this information from please? Too much ammonia/ peroxide for what, given that they are a key part of the chemical reaction? UK salons use anything up to 40 vol sometimes with heat, blistering scalps as a result no box dye is higher than that. In fact I don't think anything but the box pre-lighteners go that high. Some UK box dyes are ammonia free and different products contain different percentages of peroxide. Which specific ingredients are not salon standard?

Natalyn: I would not be concerned about the price because I see many good brands in our pound shops, alongside the low end ones. I would be concerned about whether I can read the ingredients lists, whether I was confident the product had been stored properly, would blend well, if I could check out the brand online (eg. YouTube reviews). If the hairdresser son has been using the product for a while he must be happy with the results. I can't see any reason to be worried about the safety: persulphate bleach, ammonia and peroxide are inexpensive and highly effective ingredients, so there is no incentive for a foreign company to substitute inferior or dangerous chemicals as there is with the keratin straightening treatments.

I've been box dying for 22 years with various brands and never had a catastrophe like hair snapping off. Couple of ill advised colour choices, down to my bad taste and being too lazy to do strand tests!! Laughing I can't honestly say price had a bearing on the result. I now avoid products containing sulphate surfactants (worse for my skin than the peroxide!) and silicones (fake shine/ softness), instead layering the dye over coconut oil because lauric acid protects the protein core of the hair.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 am      Reply with quote
My husband use Revlon Top speed. He said it is good and not allergy his head.
I don't like to use chemical hair dye, so I use henna. It take long time but it is not make me allergy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
Ava with wings wrote:

LOL. The only Color Charm I know of is Wella, they make permanent and semi permanent products and have been used here in the states by salons for ages.

Oh....guess we are talking about the same brand then?
Colour charm is one of the few brands I have seen around here that had a golden brown colour that has no red and looks really nice on me (when I did use it).

We really do not have beauty supply shops here in Canada that much.
We have 2 large drugstore chains and that is about it.
But the drugstore chain they do sell salon styling products and high end skincare (like Guerlain,biotherm ect...).

Has anyone tried the Fekkai hair dye. All I know is they are around $35 a box and sephora used to sell them.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
Ava with wings wrote:

Oh....guess we are talking about the same brand then?
Colour charm is one of the few brands I have seen around here that had a golden brown colour that has no red and looks really nice on me (when I did use it).

We really do not have beauty supply shops here in Canada that much.
We have 2 large drugstore chains and that is about it.
But the drugstore chain they do sell salon styling products and high end skincare (like Guerlain,biotherm ect...).

Has anyone tried the Fekkai hair dye. All I know is they are around $35 a box and sephora used to sell them.

I have used Color Charm in a high end salon ages ago, as well as on my own hair.

I have seen the Fekkai products on Sephora, but not sure about the color? I would have to look on the site, however not everything can ship to Canada, just as some products from EDS can't ship to the States?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I used the "light brown" from the $1 store for my roots. It worked as well as the Feria I use and actually worked better than the Framesi my stylist used that faded horribly. The brand from the $1.00 store (Dollar Tree)was De La Ritz. I get compliments on my hair all the time. No one even noticed I used a different brand when I do my roots.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all for your responses and advice!
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
To everyone that loves color charm, sorry, I think it's just terrible. It's the OTC version wella makes and it's awful. I'd walk out if a "high end salon" tried to put this On me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
To everyone that loves color charm, sorry, I think it's just terrible. It's the OTC version wella makes and it's awful. I'd walk out if a "high end salon" tried to put this On me.

Too each their own. Very Happy

When still practicing as a stylist I could purchase it at all the Professional Only suppliers. I never found it to be inferior in any way, but your experience is obviously very different.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Not in my case.
where to buy the hair color does not bother me so much, but the ingredients and contents of the hair color sometimes make me to have second thought before i pay for them
I colored my hair several times with chemical ingredients colors, but the results are terrible. My hair dried, dull and very hard to treat and comb......

But what i have now is HENNA AND INDIGO, which go together for my case, they are very good, more than hair nutrition than coloring to me. After using them, my hair became more glossy, silky and strong. Although less colors for choosing, but the results will nearly never turn you down.
BTW, it's a little bit fussy to do the henna muds on hair......
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
ellac117 wrote:
Not in my case.
where to buy the hair color does not bother me so much, but the ingredients and contents of the hair color sometimes make me to have second thought before i pay for them
I colored my hair several times with chemical ingredients colors, but the results are terrible. My hair dried, dull and very hard to treat and comb......

But what i have now is HENNA AND INDIGO, which go together for my case, they are very good, more than hair nutrition than coloring to me. After using them, my hair became more glossy, silky and strong. Although less colors for choosing, but the results will nearly never turn you down.
BTW, it's a little bit fussy to do the henna muds on hair......

The problem is Henna (although great) is pretty tricky once you have a certain percentage of gray hair (white for some) also the result color wise you wish to attain plays into it's use. Smile

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |