Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Over 50: "Mature skin"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
AlisN1dlan

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
I have been reading through all the great information here now for a week or so and thought maybe a thread devoted to those of us with "mature skin" (I hate that term Wink might be helpful. It isn't always apparent how old posters are and the needs and concerns of us old fogies are obviously very different from those of younger women.

A bit about myself - I am an RN with a MS in Biochemistry but have taken an abrupt turn-about and am now working on a PhD in American History.

I kid my 47 year-old sister-in-law that when you turn 50, everything starts falling apart - and for me that was really true Sad So at 54, I went to Costa Rico and invested some serious cash in my face - full face lift, upper and lower eyelids, Juvaderm in my lips and a TCA peel. 18 months later, I was really not satisfied with the results so I went back and they redid the facelift, added an eyebrow lift, added Juvaderm and repeated the TCA peel. I looked 40 again and was ecstatic. I just turned 60 and my face is still in really good shape - but time is marching on. Now I am seeing things that I don't like - and sadly, my plastic surgery budget is exhausted. So here I am Smile

I have some lines in my chin area and now obvious crow's feet that are really bugging me - and my hands! Oh boy: do they ever give me away. But my real problem is sun damage to my legs. I always took precautions with my face and was never a "tanner" like so many in my generation. But I'm blonde and fair and my legs, ankles and the tops of my feet are a colossal mess: to the point where shorts and bathing suits are out of the question - I spend the summer in long skirts and am very self-conscious in sandals.

Anyway, I am going to start derma rolling on my face and on my legs. I have used 70% glycolic acid on my face with fair results - it produces good flaking, but nothing dramatic. I wish I was courageous enough to do a REAL TCA peel on my face - my doctor used 45% on me and I literally peeled like a lizard! But I was sedated and don't remember the application - which must have been . . . .well, unpleasant to say the least!

I'd welcome all input from my fellow Baby Boomers about what products and methods they are using to keep Father Time at bay!
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hello and Image

I am stil fairly new to this site and learning more each and every day from all the lovely people here.

You may want to look into the facial exercise forums here. Many people are getting great results using these programs to tone their faces. I am doing the Ageless If We Dare program, which I think is the quickest routine at 5 minutes a day, 6 days a week or 10 minutes a day, 3 days a week. But many feel that it doesn't do much for the lower half of the face. At 49 years old, that is not my problem quite yet, so I'm happy with the program so far. I've been doing it for a little over 14 weeks and am noticing my cheeks are looking more full (the apple part) with some definition underneath the cheekbones. My eyes are not lifting quite as quickly as I'd like them to, but they are starting to cooperate. Wink I may throw in some other eye exercises from other programs if I don't see more of a difference there in another few weeks.

Also, don't be afraid of the at-home TCA peels. I get mine from MUAC.com and use the 15% peel. But they have them in lower percentages if you'd like to start there and work your way up. Just go slow and avoid the eye area.

Good luck!

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I don't put much stock in facial exercises - not at my age anyway. If you could restore the fat pad and re-elasticize the skin by working the muscles, that would be a different story. And it's not that my lower face is sagging - it's still tight. But I have some lines around my chin area. I think I need filler Sad

It's not that I'm afraid of peeling with TCA: I just don't have the courage to use the 45% concentration you need to turn completely brown and then peel like an orange - the level of peel that takes two weeks in hibernation to recover from Wink What I fear is I'd get the TCA on part of my face and be unable to finish: a half-peeled orange . . .
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
yes, please never try 45% TCA on your own.. I have read of people who ruined their faces by trying high % TCA peels on their own....
skinhelp
5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Would you tell us who you used in Costa Rica for your facelift? Would you recommend him? Thanks in advance.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 am      Reply with quote
AlisN1dlan wrote:

It's not that I'm afraid of peeling with TCA: I just don't have the courage to use the 45% concentration you need to turn completely brown and then peel like an orange - the level of peel that takes two weeks in hibernation to recover from Wink What I fear is I'd get the TCA on part of my face and be unable to finish: a half-peeled orange . . .

You can get very good results at home with a series of lower strength TCA peels. Most people start with 8%, 12.5% or 15% for practice as well as results, then layer or scale up the percentages slowly if required. By layering you get a more even finish, can stop whenever you get the right level of frosting or when the discomfort gets too much.

This lady is quite experienced, she posted many photos over two peels IIRC so you can see how much brownness and peeling she got.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/21944/jess-tca-nl-folds-jaws-look
As Daler says, nobody sensible advocates or carries out a 45% TCA at home.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Just have to respectfully add that I don't think one can assume the surgeon was male Laughing . Here we have a very bright poster working on her own PhD Smile that said, I am also curious as to the name of your surgeon and how you came to make the decision to travel for surgery.

Anyway, to address your question:

My suggestion is to spend some time reading around this forum, you will find varying opinions, some based on hype and hope, others based in scientific evidence.

You probably know that tackling the issue is three pronged -

- sagging
- volume
- condition of surface skin

It is my opinion - based on research and experience, that the following options work best:

- sagging: surgical intervention
- volume: fillers
- condition of surface skin: effective sunscreen, peels, retinoids, dermarolling with effective rolling serums, possible hormone creams depending on individual status.

Welcome, BFG
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
You can get very good results at home with a series of lower strength TCA peels. Most people start with 8%, 12.5% or 15% for practice as well as results, then layer or scale up the percentages slowly if required. By layering you get a more even finish, can stop whenever you get the right level of frosting or when the discomfort gets too much.

This lady is quite experienced, she posted many photos over two peels IIRC so you can see how much brownness and peeling she got.

This is exactly what I do. I use a 15% TCA peel and do one to two layers. That is about as much burning as I can take. I don't mind that it takes longer to see the results by doing it this way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I believe you when you say that once you hit your 50's, it really go down hill. I wouldn't like to go for surgery to deal with sagging skin.
I wish there is something else that would clearly deal with sagging skin.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:

Holy cow! Shock I just got through reading that thread and looking at the pictures of this woman. She is one brave lady, that's for sure. I would never be able to use that strong of a peel. Even with me applying two coats of the 15% TCA peel and my skin frosting, I've never had my skin turn brown and scab like this. It does sting like a son of a gun while it's on and three days later starts to peel, but I'm able to go outside of my home within 5-6 days and still look pretty decent. With a peel as deep as this woman had, you need to take off at least 3 weeks of work and be housebound. I don't think most women would have that luxury, but she did look awesome by the time it all healed up.

Like I had mentioned, I'll stick to my lower percentage peels and take longer to see those kind of results. Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:33 am      Reply with quote
AlisN1dlan wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have been reading through all the great information here now for a week or so and thought maybe a thread devoted to those of us with "mature skin" (I hate that term Wink might be helpful. It isn't always apparent how old posters are and the needs and concerns of us old fogies are obviously very different from those of younger women ....

I'd welcome all input from my fellow Baby Boomers about what products and methods they are using to keep Father Time at bay!

Have you read this thread? It may be a little stale, but a lot of the information is timeless:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22881&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
AlisN1dlan wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have been reading through all the great information here now for a week or so and thought maybe a thread devoted to those of us with "mature skin" (I hate that term Wink might be helpful. It isn't always apparent how old posters are and the needs and concerns of us old fogies are obviously very different from those of younger women ....

Have you read this thread? It may be a little stale, but a lot of the information is timeless:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22881&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

veWhat do you think is the best advice given in that thread?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |