Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Alpha/Beta exfoliation

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 am      Reply with quote
I use retin A alternating with bi weekly Lactic Acid (10% from Diana Yvonne)

Very happy with this except for stubborn clogged pores. I don't have inflamed acne or really blackheads even, but almost all of my pores are clogged. Always has been this way: through detox, vegan, no white-carb, everything...

I was thinking to incorporate a beta element into the days I use the lactic acid. I was thinking layer the salicylic first and then the lactic. But all of the salycilic peels i'm interested in seem to use alcohol (which I know is to cut the skin oil) I'm having BAAAD stridex flashbacks and while I don't have dry skin, I don't want to strip it either.

I'm not interested in anything blended with a moisturizer. I'm also only interested in something that is self-neutralizing (which lactic and salicylic both are) or can be left on. I read a pretty compelling review on why your AHA should be used as I described (left on, nothing else after) at a model recommends and that's why I want something to leave on. And I've been happy using this approach with the lactic, just want to add a BHA to get inside the pores.

My choices seem to be: 2% BHA followed by 10% Lactic (my concern is the alcohol as I mentioned)

or this one looks interesting, but I'm concerned that the BHA coming from the white willow bark may not be strong enough:
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:22 am      Reply with quote
Seems I can't edit? But FYI the model recommends post I was talking about is this one
ketchup
5% products discount

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I think a daily BHA exfoliant would be best, just from my own experience. However, I cannot recommend one and am too looking for something I can use every day with my current regimen.

I currently use JM bioclear lotion. Although great in many ways at least for me, it's quite expensive and can leave a shine on my face; i suppose if i used a moisturizer on top this would help?. I tend to avoid moisturizers because they either contain oil or too many ingredients/extracts that end up clogging my pores and defeating the purpose. So needless to say im looking for an alternative that does not use alcohol. I think anything with a pH of like 3.4 that is without alcohol is the best.

Alpha Hydrox makes some good AHA's which are pretty cheap but somewhat effective (the one i had clogged my pores though ;( ). I see it as an alternative to the link you posted as all AHA's will do what that article describes as "liquid gold". I'm using Olay Regenerist Night Elixir as it has AHA in it, very mild, but i can tell it works. I think the key is to keep using it.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Are you looking for peels or a daily product? Peels are often alcohol based, thats part of what helps them work. If you are looking for a daily BHA, Paula's Choice has many good options.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Are you looking for peels or a daily product? Peels are often alcohol based, thats part of what helps them work. If you are looking for a daily BHA, Paula's Choice has many good options.

This is what the OP linked to:

At Home Chemical Peels

MUAC Radiance Peel - Alpha Beta + Fruit Acids

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/catalog/MUAC_Radiance_Peel_Alpha_Beta_Fruit_Acids-94-1.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 am      Reply with quote
I was looking at that one DarkMoon, but MUAC told me I'd have to give up three days of the Retin A, so I think it might be a little too strong. Plus it has alcohol in it as well.

I do know that the SD alcohol is used in peels to improve delivery, but I don't really plan to be using this as a peel but rather as a 2 or 3 times weekly treatment. I've read in some rather compelling places that SD alcohol is cytotoxic, and if this was an occasional peel, I might say that the benefits outweigh the risks... but using this regularly, I'm a bit nervous.

I know skin biology sells their lacsal (8.5% lactic, 1.5% salicylic IIRC) and its alcohol free, but the pH is quite high at 4.0 which concerns me about its effectiveness.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Why not give 2% BHA a try and see if it works for you. I wouldn't want to use a product with alcohol on a regular basis either. I know it wouldn't work well for me.

Paula's Choice has several options at the right pH. I know PC is working on a 8% BHA but I don't know when it will be out. Neutrogena also has some well formulated 1-2% products. It is hard to find a higher % that doesn't contain alcohol, especially when so many 2% contain it.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I know PC is working on a 8% BHA but I don't know when it will be out.

Wow, an 8% BHA liquid?! I thought that most you could get without a prescription was 2%. Did she announce this on her site?
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:21 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Wow, an 8% BHA liquid?! I thought that most you could get without a prescription was 2%. Did she announce this on her site?

You can get 8% and 15% IIRC at Makeup Artist's Choice, but it has alcohol
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

I don't know if it will be a liquid/lotion/gel but she has mentioned the product a couple times (on her radio show and facebook).
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
well, I'm torn between the paula's choicce 2% (which I'm worried about some low ratings on makeupalley and some of the ingredients), this one from silk naturals (which is I know is basically DIY, except I have no desire to fool around with pH right now), and the lacsal (which the pH still concerns me).

I'm really leaning toward the lacsal, but why is the pH so high?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:16 am      Reply with quote
If the pH is not within the proper range it wont be very effective.

Which Paula's Choice formula are you considering? I've been using the liquid for a long time. I've found that the basic formula works best for me, I didn't care for the lotion or gel. The liquid absorbs well too.

Silk Naturals uses willow bark, IMO not very effective.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:53 am      Reply with quote
UmEnis wrote:

UmEnis,

Have you used it before? If so, how was it?
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
If the pH is not within the proper range it wont be very effective.

Which Paula's Choice formula are you considering? I've been using the liquid for a long time. I've found that the basic formula works best for me, I didn't care for the lotion or gel. The liquid absorbs well too.

Silk Naturals uses willow bark, IMO not very effective.

I was worried about the pH issue.... why would such a reputable company as skinbio make such a high pH for an acid product?

Well, then Paula's choice it is (and, yes, I was considering the liquid, i think I had looked at the gel list of ingredients by mistake) followed by diana yvonne's lactic acid (which i lub)
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
UmEnis wrote:

UmEnis,

Have you used it before? If so, how was it?

I've never used their salicylic. I've used the one at Diana Yvonne and liked it a lot. It wasn't drying for me but I'm concerned about the long term effects of the alcohol on skin cell health. I loooooove her lactic acid 10% though!

I've used MUAC's TCA peels though and really liked them. Other people don't so much because they have AHA's in them which can increase stinging, but I found it manageable. They have pretty good customer service I found as does Diana Yvonne.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Temporary Face Tightener (100 ml / 3.4 floz) DS Laboratories Trioxil.PM Anti-Acne Gel (30 ml) Donell Daily Toner (8 floz)