Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Sunscreen Decisions for Stay at Home Mom
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Ah, decisions, decisions.

I am a stay at home mom. We are a one car families, I have a lot of little ones, and it is very hot here in the daytime during the summer, so I tend to stay indoors a whole lot.

I wouldn't say the house gets too much sun as I don't see any fading on my fabrics, furniture, and rugs though its nice and bright inside.

I do pop outside here and there for 5 minutes or so just to check on the kids. Maybe once or twice a day.

I am trying to decide whether I should be using a rather high SPF (like a 30 or so) or if a lower one is better (like an Cool. I want an all natural product, no nano particles. I'm looking at the Kimberley Sayers for the 30 and the Mexitan for the 8

I hate to put things on my face that I don't need. Otherwise, I would just use my mineral makeup as it has an SPF of about 15, but it has other minerals besides Titanium Dioxide in it, like mica which I don't know if I want to wear every day.

Anythoughts?
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I am too lazy to use sunscreen if I am staying indoors a lot. Smile But I do like Kimberly Sayer Light Moisturizer SPF30 as it is light and natural.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
What about Devita? They get great reviews and are all natural IIRC. They can all act as moisturisers as well as SPF so you don't have to purchase a separate product. Many people have used the Body Block on the face because it is cheaper than the facial Solar Protective sunscreen (both zinc oxide only and SPF30). The Rx Ultrasolar 50 contains both titanium and zinc.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
What about Devita? They get great reviews and are all natural IIRC. They can all act as moisturisers as well as SPF so you don't have to purchase a separate product. Many people have used the Body Block on the face because it is cheaper than the facial Solar Protective sunscreen (both zinc oxide only and SPF30). The Rx Ultrasolar 50 contains both titanium and zinc.

I looked at the Devita and decided if I'm going to go for a 30, I'd like to try the kimberly sayer one as the devita is micronized and the ks one isn't.... but i'd be much happier if I could find an all natural 15 or 10 in a nice moisturizer... just i don't see why to put so much zinc on my face if i dont need it...

OH! IDEA IDEA! What if I used the moisturizer sparingly, or mixed just a bit into my other day cream? Would that effective lower the SPF since I'd be using less of the active ingredient?
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, look at this! Nice ingredients and an SPF of 10! 4.5% zinc

melan-sol

i can't find many reviews online, a makeup alley one for the 18 seemed decent.

the 10 has 4.5% zinc

I think the 30 for the ks one was 14% zinc/titanium blend

So, if I use about 1/2 the recommended amount blended evenly into my day cream, wouldn't that give me about a 7% zinc (which sounds perfect to me!) or does it not work like that?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to read this whole article:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-06-20/beauty/28554300_1_sunscreens-uva-and-uvb-uva-rays

A bit of it:

Sunscreens decoded!
Lisa Antao Jun 20, 2011, 12.00am IST

Is sunscreen required when you're indoors?

We all know that applying sunscreens are a must when one is outdoors, but what about when one is indoors? Dr Vibhakar says that one needs to apply sunscreens even if they are indoors. That's because there is scattered sunlight. Also, artificial lights do contain some amount of radiation, albeit low. While cooking, flames from the cooking gas give off heat and light. So women who spend long hours in the kitchen cooking need to use sunscreens at least with an SPF of 15.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding Zinc Oxide it gives the best UVA/UVB protection of all, and it is soothing to the skin.

Image[/quote]

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:07 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Also, artificial lights do contain some amount of radiation, albeit low. While cooking, flames from the cooking gas give off heat and light. So women who spend long hours in the kitchen cooking need to use sunscreens at least with an SPF of 15.

how much time do you think i spend in the kitchen with 8 people to feed and a whole food diet Laughing

thank god, i enjoy cooking and nutrition as much as skin care!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 am      Reply with quote
UmEnis wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Also, artificial lights do contain some amount of radiation, albeit low. While cooking, flames from the cooking gas give off heat and light. So women who spend long hours in the kitchen cooking need to use sunscreens at least with an SPF of 15.

how much time do you think i spend in the kitchen with 8 people to feed and a whole food diet Laughing

thank god, i enjoy cooking and nutrition as much as skin care!

LOL. been there done that had a crew of my own! I was mainly giving you the info since we get sun exposure even inside! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Regarding Zinc Oxide it gives the best UVA/UVB protection of all, and it is soothing to the skin.

I did know that about the protection, but I did not know that it was soothing. i really like that and i have no concerns at all now about the 30.

I did some googling and apparently there are also soothing/anti-inflamatory properties in titanium dioxide as well. Though I had to search harder for it, so its probably less pronounced.

I'm leaning toward the kim sayer's heavily now... it does have titanium dioxide in it, but at least its not micronized. According to another thread here is about 6.5%-7% of each.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:51 am      Reply with quote
UmEnis wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I did know that about the protection, but I did not know that it was soothing. i really like that and i have no concerns at all now about the 30.

I did some googling and apparently there are also soothing/anti-inflamatory properties in titanium dioxide as well. Though I had to search harder for it, so its probably less pronounced.

I'm leaning toward the kim sayer's heavily now... it does have titanium dioxide in it, but at least its not micronized. According to another thread here is about 6.5%-7% of each.

I go for a higher percentage, but I do live in a tropical sunny area.

I use a zinc oxide sunscreen and my MMU has both ZO and TD.

I know in different climates further from the equator less SPF can be fine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm not that close to the equator, though the sun is really bright here and burns quick. But, like I said, I'm only outside during the hot part of the day for 5-10 minutes at a shot. Even most of the shops here are closed until about 4:30 in the summer here.

Darkmoon, What do you use that is only zinc oxide? Is it nano/micronized?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:52 am      Reply with quote
UmEnis wrote:
I'm not that close to the equator, though the sun is really bright here and burns quick. But, like I said, I'm only outside during the hot part of the day for 5-10 minutes at a shot. Even most of the shops here are closed until about 4:30 in the summer here.

Darkmoon, What do you use that is only zinc oxide? Is it nano/micronized?

I use Burnout, I do believe is is micronized but not nano. It can be found for safety on EWG/SkinDeep. I top that with Sunforgettable mineral powder sun protection SPF 30 orb, but I am in a very sunny climate. The ORB is more controversial being a powder, I just hold my breath while applying.

BurnOut - Clean and Clear Zinc Oxide Sunblock
Zinc Oxide 18.6%, Deionized water, Capric Triglycerides, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperta Cylindrica (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
When I'm at home with the kids I still use my zinc based sunscreen. I am going to try Darkmoons suggested one once I run out of my invisible zinc (which I do like btw).

A good moisturiser with sunscreen would be ideal in your situation (at home but not outside alot.)But if your like me and are not a fan of chemical sunscreens then there's not too many moisturiser sunscreens out there that have physical non nano nice feel sunscreen blockers. Surprised Sometimes when Im home inside alot I just add a bit of my suncreen with moisturiser and it doesnt feel too heavy.
GL
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I went ahead and already bought the kim sayer's one. no more suggestions, please, or my brain might explode. lol.

it seems to have a lot of good stuff even if i don't need that high of a protection factor, and darkmoon's info on the minerals being good for the skin sold me.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Let us know what you think about it. I think for your purpose it looks good Smile
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I am trying to decide whether I should be using a rather high SPF (like a 30 or so) or if a lower one is better (like an . I want an all natural product, no nano particles. I'm looking at the Kimberley Sayers for the 30 and the Mexitan for the 8

I hate to put things on my face that I don't need. Otherwise, I would just use my mineral makeup as it has an SPF of about 15, but it has other minerals besides Titanium Dioxide in it, like mica which I don't know if I want to wear every day.

Anythoughts?

You could have some of that UV film put over all of your windows to eliminate the need to wear sunscreen all the time in the house. I am considering getting it done as I like to do my dance conditioning when I wake up but want to put my sunscreen and other products on after as I will just sweat them off.

Just as a side note, it is great that you are being sensible and protecting yourself from UV rays but please do be aware that you still need to make sure you are getting adequate exposure to the sun for adequate vitamin D absorption. This means, depending on your skin type and location, exposing 40% or more of your body unprotected by creams etc. (it does not have to be your face) to the sun for around 20 minutes, three times a week. It will be more the darker your skin tone and (apparently) will also vary according to the time of day it is. If you want to read more about this here is a great post on it:

wwwdotessentialdayspadotcom/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44998

[Replace the 'dot''s with '.']

Sorry if you already know this but thought I would say just in case as thanks to the current demonising of the sun's rays we have an epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency causing all sorts of health problems.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 am      Reply with quote
The Kimberly Sayer sunscreen is really terrific. I used a whole jar of it and then went on to other sunscreens. However, I wasn't very happy with what I tried. I have extremely sensitive skin and so many others out there irritated my skin, were too white or just very drying.

I think I'll go back to the KS. Hope you like it.
UmEnis
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:

Just as a side note, it is great that you are being sensible and protecting yourself from UV rays but please do be aware that you still need to make sure you are getting adequate exposure to the sun for adequate vitamin D absorption. This means, depending on your skin type and location, exposing 40% or more of your body unprotected by creams etc. (it does not have to be your face) to the sun for around 20 minutes, three times a week. It will be more the darker your skin tone and (apparently) will also vary according to the time of day it is. If you want to read more about this here is a great post on it:

wwwdotessentialdayspadotcom/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44998

[Replace the 'dot''s with '.']

Sorry if you already know this but thought I would say just in case as thanks to the current demonising of the sun's rays we have an epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency causing all sorts of health problems.

I do know this, but I'm still glad you shared it as its important for everyone to know.

But the sun is soooooo hot and bright here in the summer and sunrise is so early and factoring in delayed application, I have no doubt I'll get my 15 minutes in easy.

But still, thanks again for the reminder!
Rebecca Reeves

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Hello there,

I'm mother to two kids and I can understand how difficult to handle kids. every time they go out in sun, and mum like us need to keep eye on them. so we have to get into the sun, even if we hate it!
Currently I use SPF 15 sunscreen. but one of my friend suggest me Lipbalm for sunny days! Actually i was amazed, because i never used it before. I came across Lipice Suncare Lipbalm, Lipbalm from Multibrands International. It work for me. It has SPF 25 UV filters. I mean, wow!!! It just awesome.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Another vote for invisible zinc- is it me or does zinc seem to heal skin? my skin is looking Winona Ryder-ish since using zinc only as!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
Another vote for invisible zinc- is it me or does zinc seem to heal skin? my skin is looking Winona Ryder-ish since using zinc only as!

It is not just you, zinc oxide is very healing and calming to the skin, that is why it is used in diaper/nappy rash ointments! Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |