Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Citric acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I found this article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9256916on citric acid. Does anyone use it in concoctions or ready mades for anything other than ph adjustment? From this article I should think there is a certain value in it for skin care, but haven't found much else about this.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I found this article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9256916on citric acid. Does anyone use it in concoctions or ready mades for anything other than ph adjustment? From this article I should think there is a certain value in it for skin care, but haven't found much else about this.

It is from wiki but here goes:

Cosmetics and pharmaceuticals
Citric acid is widely used as a pH adjusting agent in creams and gels of all kinds. In this role it is classified in most jurisdictions as a processing aid and so does not need to be listed on ingredient lists. Citric acid is an alpha hydroxy acid and used as an active ingredient in chemical peels.
Citric acid is commonly used as a buffer to increase the solubility of brown heroin. Single-use citric acid sachets have been used as an inducement to get heroin users to exchange their dirty needles for clean needles in an attempt to decrease the spread of AIDS and hepatitis.[12] Other acidifiers used for brown heroin are ascorbic acid, acetic acid, and lactic acid; in their absence, a drug user will often substitute lemon juice or vinegar.
Citric acid is used as one of the active ingredients in the production of antiviral tissues.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid

I only use it as a pH adjuster when necessary mainly since I do use LAA, RA and Glycolic acids.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Question Strange, from what the link I posted states I should think citric acid would be a nice ingredient in skin care. I found another reference to the same study (but on a blog, nothing scientific), and I quote:

Quote:
In one study, American researchers investigated the effects of a 20% citric acid lotion on skin thickness and GAG content in sun-damaged skin. They recruited six female volunteers (aged 70-83) who had clinical evidence of sun damage, including fine wrinkling and alterations in pigmentation, on their forearms. Using a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind protocol, the women’s forearms were treated with lotion that either did or did not contain the citric acid. The lotion was applied twice daily for three months, after which biopsy specimens were taken from the center of the treated area and analyzed.

In the citric acid-treated skin, there was a dramatic increase (41%) in viable epidermal thickness, i.e., the thickness of the basal cell layer of living cells. At the same time, there was a significant increase (16%) in overall skin thickness. In the dermis, there were also major increases in the levels of two specific types of GAG: hyaluronic acid (up 57%) and chondroitin sulfate (up 66%). GAGs constitute only about 0.1-0.3% of the dry weight of normal dermis, but they have the remarkable property of being able to bind up to 1000 times their own weight in water. Thus, even a relatively small change in the amount of GAGs in the dermis can result in a large increase in its hydration (water content), and this may account for the observed increase in the thickness of the dermis.

You'd have to admit it SOUNDS pretty interesting! I guess if you use L AA you wouldn't need to try this though.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Question Strange, from what the link I posted states I should think citric acid would be a nice ingredient in skin care. I found another reference to the same study (but on a blog, nothing scientific), and I quote:

Quote:
In one study, American researchers investigated the effects of a 20% citric acid lotion on skin thickness and GAG content in sun-damaged skin. They recruited six female volunteers (aged 70-83) who had clinical evidence of sun damage, including fine wrinkling and alterations in pigmentation, on their forearms. Using a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind protocol, the women’s forearms were treated with lotion that either did or did not contain the citric acid. The lotion was applied twice daily for three months, after which biopsy specimens were taken from the center of the treated area and analyzed.

In the citric acid-treated skin, there was a dramatic increase (41%) in viable epidermal thickness, i.e., the thickness of the basal cell layer of living cells. At the same time, there was a significant increase (16%) in overall skin thickness. In the dermis, there were also major increases in the levels of two specific types of GAG: hyaluronic acid (up 57%) and chondroitin sulfate (up 66%). GAGs constitute only about 0.1-0.3% of the dry weight of normal dermis, but they have the remarkable property of being able to bind up to 1000 times their own weight in water. Thus, even a relatively small change in the amount of GAGs in the dermis can result in a large increase in its hydration (water content), and this may account for the observed increase in the thickness of the dermis.

You'd have to admit it SOUNDS pretty interesting! I guess if you use L AA you wouldn't need to try this though.

My main thinking is between RA, and LAA for collagen, then all three adding in Glycolic Acid I am using enough acids?

You are right it seems as though it would be used for more than peels and pH adjustment? Wink

Edit To Add:

Maybe I should try a serum made with citric acid on my forearms where thanks to Florida sun I have the worst hyperpigmentation?

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
For me this is a very shocking fact but will now surely try it.....
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:42 am      Reply with quote
After a bit of googling to see what kind of skin care products with citric acids are about last night, today I made a serum based on one of Kassy's vitamin C recipes. Test driving it on my arm to see if there's any irritation. It's about 10% citric acid and I intend to use it at night. So far the acid arm is still happy. Don't have ph test paper so I don't know how effective the solution is though.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Neutral Well, that was an experience. Because nothing happened on my arm, I thought I could try it on my face. After half a minute I rinsed it off because it stung, especially on the spot that got burned from a vit. C serum. After that I put some cream on my face to soothe it, and while rubbing in the cream a LOT of dead skin came off. Obviously I don't exfoliate enough.

This is a 10 percent solution and for my skin (not used to anything stronger than yoghurt and lemon juice) its way too strong to use as a serum. I thought I would report this asap, in case anyone else wanted to try it.
eubabe

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 am      Reply with quote
@Lotusesther
Hi, can you tell me what the outcome of your citric acid experiment was? Im also interested in making citric acid serum.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 am      Reply with quote
The outcome was, that I will not do this again.
eubabe

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
The outcome was, that I will not do this again.

What happened, if you don't mind me asking.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Neostrata has a fairly new product with citric acid called the Daily Antioxidant Peel CA10.
http://www.neostrata.com/display.do?ruleID=100384&itemID=5&itemType=LANDING
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |