Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
27 y/o regimen: skin care products, facial exercise, massage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I recently found this forum and it has been a blessing.
I am a 27 year old female living in AZ, and the sun damaging effects along with other aging factors have started to show on my face. (I have started using SPF 24 daily, but only SPF 15 around eyes)
I have tried many products, mostly as a result of hype or advertising and sales.
My biggest problem is not knowing where to start. There is so much information out there, the more I read, the more confused I get.
For example, I bought the Cellfood Oxygen gel. One of my friends who works in the skin care industry told me I am damaging my skin more by using it, as it creates free radicals. Then a medical aesthetician that performed fractional non-ablative laser procedure on my forehead used an oxygen cream right after and told me that the oxygen gel is good for me...

Here are my concerns:
- Combination/Acne prone skin (Mario Badescu products are the first to make a difference!)
- Fine lines on forehead, diminished slightly by the laser procedure
- Left eye closing more than right when I smile (uneven UV damage or result of sleep habits?)
- Dark under eye circles (probably hereditary)
- Fine lines on lower eye lids and tiny crow's feet
- Fine smile lines
- Losing volume in the cheek bone area

All these are barely noticeable, but enough to get me to take a better look at how I treat my skin.
I have a few questions, hopefully you can help me:
1) How do you come up with a custom skin care regimen that's right for you?
2) Should I see a dermatologist or medical aesthetician for a custom program? I am worried they might be biased and push to get me to buy their expensive products.
3) Do you recommend a book that breaks it down for me?
4) What key ingredients should I look for and in what quantities/concentration? I would like to adopt a DIY program so I can control better what goes on my skin.
5) What ingredients can be used together and what should not?
6) What companies are good for ordering raw ingredients? I've tried SkinActives, but I am not sure about the quality of their products.

If this topic has been addressed already, I apologize. I did search but did not come across anything that would give me some direction. Feel free to point me to other threads that address my concerns.

I greatly appreciate your input!
gimidalight
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I am of the same age and having some similar issues, so I am looking forward to a reply from someone who knows.
I'm having alot of difficulty with layering products. I can use cleanser, toner, a serum and moisturiser, but adding an extra step creates balling when adding the moisturiser. Trying to fit all the active ingredients I want to use without mixing incompatible ingredients is head frying, especially because the more research I do the more I want to add.
Hopefully someone will have some straight forward solutions.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 am      Reply with quote
gimidalight wrote:
I am of the same age and having some similar issues, so I am looking forward to a reply from someone who knows.
I'm having alot of difficulty with layering products. I can use cleanser, toner, a serum and moisturiser, but adding an extra step creates balling when adding the moisturiser. Trying to fit all the active ingredients I want to use without mixing incompatible ingredients is head frying, especially because the more research I do the more I want to add.
Hopefully someone will have some straight forward solutions.

I can totally relate! When I add serum, Mario Badescu healing cream, Aveeno Ageless Vitality moisturizer with SPF 24 and primer, everything starts to flake off, cake, etc. My skin is obviously saturated at that point Sad
Hopefully we can at least get some pointers to any previous threads that addressed these concerns.
gimidalight
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:07 am      Reply with quote
My main skin problems are:
combination skin - normal / oily tzone
super sensitive skin
fine lines around eyes and mouth
milia (bain of my life)
hyperpigmentation and sun damage
dehydrated skin

I was having bad reactions to most commercial products I used, and any I didn't react badly to gave no improvement in my skin so I decided to diy in the hope I could isolate anything that didn't agree with my skin. My current routine doesn't irritate my skin, but I haven't been using it long enough to see noticeable results (had a lot of mishaps).

My current routine is:
AM
cleanser (hemp oil, glycerin, geranium hydrosol)
Toner (Apple cider vinegar, glycerin, salylic acid, manderin, chamomile and papaya EO)
20% vit C E + F serum (kassy's recipe)
carrier oil of choice with coenzyme Q10 (haven't found carrier oil that works for me yet)

PM
Cleanser
Toner (apple cider vinegar, green tea, glycerin, glycolic acid, manderin, chamomile and papaya EO)
Serum (HA, retinyl acetate, niacinaimde and glucosamine)
Carrier oil with coenzyme Q10

Trying to fit matrixyl in but it isn't compatible with much.

I am also doing Eva's facial excersises, just the basic ones. Again I haven't been doing it long enough to notice a difference. Regarding dark circles, Dragon has a good recipe I came across on the Skin care talk forum but as I am not affected I didn't pay much attention.

Hope this helps, and if you want any of my recipes let me know.
Also would really appreciate anyones input to improve my routine
gimidalight
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to add sunscreen in AM routine. I use John Masters organic spf 30. Embarassed
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
gimidalight wrote:
My main skin problems are:
combination skin - normal / oily tzone
super sensitive skin
fine lines around eyes and mouth
milia (bain of my life)
hyperpigmentation and sun damage
dehydrated skin

I was having bad reactions to most commercial products I used, and any I didn't react badly to gave no improvement in my skin so I decided to diy in the hope I could isolate anything that didn't agree with my skin. My current routine doesn't irritate my skin, but I haven't been using it long enough to see noticeable results (had a lot of mishaps).

My current routine is:
AM
cleanser (hemp oil, glycerin, geranium hydrosol)
Toner (Apple cider vinegar, glycerin, salylic acid, manderin, chamomile and papaya EO)
20% vit C E + F serum (kassy's recipe)
carrier oil of choice with coenzyme Q10 (haven't found carrier oil that works for me yet)

PM
Cleanser
Toner (apple cider vinegar, green tea, glycerin, glycolic acid, manderin, chamomile and papaya EO)
Serum (HA, retinyl acetate, niacinaimde and glucosamine)
Carrier oil with coenzyme Q10

Trying to fit matrixyl in but it isn't compatible with much.

I am also doing Eva's facial excersises, just the basic ones. Again I haven't been doing it long enough to notice a difference. Regarding dark circles, Dragon has a good recipe I came across on the Skin care talk forum but as I am not affected I didn't pay much attention.

Hope this helps, and if you want any of my recipes let me know.
Also would really appreciate anyones input to improve my routine

What Coenzime Q10 product do you use? Does it dissolve well in the carrier oil? I tried some from Skin Actives but I couldn't get it to dissolve in anything, so I figured it wasn't even absorbed in the skin...
How do you like the sunscreen, does it make your skin any oilier?
I would like to start using a retinoid or something along those lines, but I don't think self experimentation with such a substance is safe... Does anyone recommend a good approach/product?

Also, could you send me the link to Kassy's recipe you mentioned? Thank you.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
The CoQ10 is sold as Idebenone:

Solubility: non-denatured ethanol, Propylene glycol (may require gentle heating)

Kassy has three 20% Vitamin C serums listed in the Recipe index:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Co Q10 is 100% very easily soluble in any oil... add small amount of oil to make a paste n then add the paste in the rest of the oil or cream..leave it aside for few hours and all is done or if in a hurry heat the oil but I don't recommend heating unless you can control the temperature...

Idebenone is not exactly Co Q10 but it's a slightly different synthetic version and therefore is patented...
gimidalight
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 am      Reply with quote
The sunscreen isn't too greasy on my, but my skin isn't very oily anyway. I also use mineral makeup over it so it absorbs any excess.
The retinyl acetate with me has been fine, I haven't experienced any irritaion or dry skin, but I've started with 0.25% and intend to gradually increase it on a monthly basis.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:44 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Co Q10 is 100% very easily soluble in any oil... add small amount of oil to make a paste n then add the paste in the rest of the oil or cream..leave it aside for few hours and all is done or if in a hurry heat the oil but I don't recommend heating unless you can control the temperature...

Idebenone is not exactly Co Q10 but it's a slightly different synthetic version and therefore is patented...

Skinactives sells Idebenone only as far as I can find, and that is where it was purchased in the post by fitgineer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:02 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:

Skinactives sells Idebenone only as far as I can find, and that is where it was purchased in the post by fitgineer.

Hi DarkMoon, skinactives also sells Co Q10: http://www.skinactives.com/Coenzyme-Q10.html
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:

Hi DarkMoon, skinactives also sells Co Q10: http://www.skinactives.com/Coenzyme-Q10.html

Thanks daler, Smile I must have managed to miss that! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 am      Reply with quote
no problem DarkMoon, you are welcome! I love Co Q10, Idebenone has not caused any issues for me either but I use Co Q10
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
no problem DarkMoon, you are welcome! I love Co Q10, Idebenone has not caused any issues for me either but I use Co Q10

I have not had a problem with either myself, but I know some do with Idebenone. Smile

Thanks again for correcting about skinactives! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thats about when I noticed a serious change too, around 27. I recommend dumping the Mario Badescu products, they are drying and IMHO counterproductive to anti aging. Get to the root of the acne congestion issues.
Start thinking about Retin A (knocked out my beginning forehead lines in about a year and a half and got rid of my acne), get used to some serious sunscreen and big sunglasses for the crows feet. Devita works for me, but this is purely personal. DIY Vitamin C in the morning is another workhorse, and I layer CPs with my Retin A at night.
The only thing I have left to attack is faint smile line (one side, and this is not the side I sleep on, just a result of normal facial structure variation). I've battled this line for a few years and have been unable to find a permanent solution. I saw good results with a few things but it came right back if my life got too busy to devote time to it.
It took me a long time to find combos that work for me, fortunately none of these break the bank. Everybody's different though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:

I have not had a problem with either myself, but I know some do with Idebenone. Smile

Thanks again for correcting about skinactives! Laughing

Was wondering what negative side effects Idebenone has vs CoQ10?... Thank you!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:

Was wondering what negative side effects Idebenone has vs CoQ10?... Thank you!

some people get an allergic reaction to Idebenone....redness, breaking out....
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I only use Mario Badescu Anti-Acne serum at night, and the rest are spot treatments, if acne does occur. I use the Mario Badescu Vitamin C serum and the Hyaluronic eye cream as well. Unlike all other acne products I've tried, MB are the only ones that do not dry my skin (as for the non acne products, they definitely do not dry my skin). None of them have Benzoyl Peroxide as an ingredient.

I do want to start using a Retin A or tretinoid, but I have to do some research first. I am not sure what concentration would be good to start with, frequency, if it can be used in the under eye area, etc...
I am kinda scared of copper peptides after reading all the issues some people have had with them...

How did you eventually find a regimen that works for you? Trial and error after research? did you consult a dermatologist?

Thank you!
Ava with wings wrote:
Thats about when I noticed a serious change too, around 27. I recommend dumping the Mario Badescu products, they are drying and IMHO counterproductive to anti aging. Get to the root of the acne congestion issues.
Start thinking about Retin A (knocked out my beginning forehead lines in about a year and a half and got rid of my acne), get used to some serious sunscreen and big sunglasses for the crows feet. Devita works for me, but this is purely personal. DIY Vitamin C in the morning is another workhorse, and I layer CPs with my Retin A at night.
The only thing I have left to attack is faint smile line (one side, and this is not the side I sleep on, just a result of normal facial structure variation). I've battled this line for a few years and have been unable to find a permanent solution. I saw good results with a few things but it came right back if my life got too busy to devote time to it.
It took me a long time to find combos that work for me, fortunately none of these break the bank. Everybody's different though.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |