Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Review: Cellese AnteAGE Serum & Accelerator
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, thank you very, very much for the info!

Does this mean that if something is a drug or active, it will be stated as first ingredient, even if there is not much in it?
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:58 am      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:
jom wrote:
Dr.J and DragoN, What do you think of this moisturizer?

Water (Aqua), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Squalane, Butylene Glycol, Diglycerin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropyl Isostearate, Hexanoyl Dipeptide-3 Norleucine Acetate, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Ceramide 2, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Glucosamine HCl, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract, Soy Isoflavones, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Ursolic Acid, Ilomastat, Ubiquinone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Panthenol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Lycium Barbarum (Goji) Fruit Extract, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol, Pentylene Glycol , Ceteareth-20, Steareth-2, Lecithin, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance.

As a moisturizer ? -- really hard for me to read that (not being a formulation chemist). But quite a few familiar emollients & oils & emulsifier . Nice list of actives too, including some of my favorites, although a couple key ones missing (like stem cytokines). Who makes it? What's it cost?

This is the product:
http://www.mlaskincare.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=power-cream

What do you think of this brand?

Would it be possible for you to ask your formulator his opinion?

Answer In addition to silicones it has hydrolyzed soy protein (why?) 5 different parabens (!), and fragrance (why?). It costs more than Cellese Accelerator for the same 1.7 oz, and contains no stem cytokines (and none of the other ingredients justify the cost).
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:12 am      Reply with quote
What's wrong with hydrolyzed soy protein?

http://www.goodguide.com/ingredients/207071-hydrolyzed-soy-protein
Youth

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

You should ask, "What does it do?" Basically it's a film former and humectant. No real affect on the skin, I believe (could be wrong). It's used mostly in shampoos and conditioners (as your link reinforces as well). Why should it be in a skin care product?
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Youth wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

You should ask, "What does it do?" Basically it's a film former and humectant. No real affect on the skin, I believe (could be wrong). It's used mostly in shampoos and conditioners (as your link reinforces as well). Why should it be in a skin care product?

Great answer, Youth.

Protein hydrolysates are created by digestion with acids & chemicals of whole protein. The solvents themselves are sometimes problematic, and of course proteins are the essence of most allergic reactions. Typically, you end up with a random (unsorted, unfiltered, unknown) collection of protein fragments (large peptides) in the 50,000 Dalton or bigger size range. They cannot be absorbed by skin, so they sit on the surface. Bacteria, viruses, and yeasts thank you for creating a nice 'culture medium" on the skin surface, and grow in it.

Just like mud, anything that sticks together and locks in moisture can be called a humectant. Mud is cheaper, and doesn't take food from the mouths of starving children in Africa, who really need that soy protein to supplement their diet.

Suggestion to cosmetic industry: extract the wonderful isoflavones from soy, put that in your concoctions, and donate the remaining pure protein to Save the Children.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

Does this mean that if something is a drug or active, it will be stated as first ingredient, even if there is not much in it?

In which case water is the active ingredient in the product under discussion.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

Aqua-water is usually the first ingredient in many, many products for the skin.

It is a penetration enhancer from what I recall, or do you disagree on that?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:38 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
DrJ wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

Think of your skin after a long soak in the tub. That pruning is not due to water being absorbed, it's due to water, salts, & oils being sucked out (or chased into the dermis).

Cosmetics are typically O/W (or W/O) emulsions. The skin's defense barrier is more tuned to keeping out water than oils. Things that are dissolved in the aqueous phase have a harder time getting in. That's the reason for liposomes & nanosomes. You take your water soluble (lipophobic) active and wrap it in lipids (or amphiphilic phospholipids) so that the skin sees it as fat, not water. Nanosomes combine lipid wrappers with small particle size to get even better penetration.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I still don't see the problem. It would be if it was the main ingredient, and the moisturizing cream did not contain any other actives, but as a component in a moisturizerit makes perfect sense. Why not make your skin feel soft and smooth while the other components are doing their job underneath I say. It's not a serum, it's a day cream.

Of course I understand perfectly that anything that doesn't contain stem cell cytokines is crap, and that all the lovely ingredients listed underneath the retinol (0.2 percent) do a wonderful job in the accelerator.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
DrJ wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

Think of your skin after a long soak in the tub. That pruning is not due to water being absorbed, it's due to water, salts, & oils being sucked out (or chased into the dermis).

Cosmetics are typically O/W (or W/O) emulsions. The skin's defense barrier is more tuned to keeping out water than oils. Things that are dissolved in the aqueous phase have a harder time getting in. That's the reason for liposomes & nanosomes. You take your water soluble (lipophobic) active and wrap it in lipids (or amphiphilic phospholipids) so that the skin sees it as fat, not water. Nanosomes combine lipid wrappers with small particle size to get even better penetration.

I am aware of W/O and O/W emulsions, and was not saying that a lot of water soaking the skin is good.
Just stating a fact that looking at many products water is first on the list often expensive water!

But in the correct amount it can help enhance penetration or no? Some actives we use only dissolve well in H2O.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Well if it doesn't that would make all those c-serums pretty useless wouldn't it?

Transdermal drug delivery often uses a vehicle consisting of ethanol, propylene glycol and water. I guess that's what we should turn to for information about delivery through the outer skin layer, because those delivery systems have been tested in vitro but also in vivo. Or all those HRT patches are just placebo of course.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

You both misunderstood..

From the FDA link on previous page;

Cosmetics which are also drugs must first identify the drug ingredient(s) as "active ingredient(s)" before listing the cosmetic ingredients (21 CFR 701.3(d)).

As far as I can see nothing qualifies as an "active" in anything under discussion in this thread..

@DrJ, would you please share with us the % of water in both of your products? I see water listed 2nd in both ingredient lists and Mesenchymal Stem Cell Cytokines listed 1st.

From my research and understanding, "water" is typically 70 to 90% in a formulation..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Well if it doesn't that would make all those c-serums pretty useless wouldn't it?

Transdermal drug delivery often uses a vehicle consisting of ethanol, propylene glycol and water. I guess that's what we should turn to for information about delivery through the outer skin layer, because those delivery systems have been tested in vitro but also in vivo. Or all those HRT patches are just placebo of course.

Exactly on our C serums as well as many antioxidant serums geared to acne prone and oily skin!

If you look at the DIY serums Ethanol, Propylene Glycol and Water are our staples! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
From the FDA link on previous page;

Cosmetics which are also drugs must first identify the drug ingredient(s) as "active ingredient(s)" before listing the cosmetic ingredients (21 CFR 701.3(d)).

As far as I can see nothing qualifies as an "active" in anything under discussion in this thread..

This says the same thing, but in clearer language (clearer to me, anyway):

Where a cosmetic product is also an over-the-counter drug product, the declaration shall declare the active drug ingredients as set forth in 201.66(c)(2) and (d) of this chapter, and the declaration shall declare the cosmetic ingredients as set forth in 201.66(c)(Cool and (d) of this chapter.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=701.3

Sometimes a true "drug" is included in a cosmetic formula. This would include (according to US FDA regulations) sunscreen ingredients, fluoride in toothpastes, anti-dandruff ingredients in shampoo, etc. "Cosmeceutical" is not a term recognized by the FDA, but it is used in the cosmetics industry to represent ingredients that they consider "actives". So the industry and the law both use the same terminology (actives), but the definitions are different. This thread doesn't discuss actives if you use the term as defined by the FDA, but we aren't lawyers here! I don`t get the point you are trying to make.

Dr J, I would like to know more about nanoencapsulation of ingredients. Would appreciate any literature that demonstrates increased delivery of actives via nanoliposomes. TY

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I still don't see the problem. It would be if it was the main ingredient, and the moisturizing cream did not contain any other actives, but as a component in a moisturizerit makes perfect sense. Why not make your skin feel soft and smooth while the other components are doing their job underneath I say. It's not a serum, it's a day cream.

I agree. Mix the water with other stuff, and you have a moisturizer. I thought the question was about water itself.

Lotusesther wrote:
Of course I understand perfectly that anything that doesn't contain stem cell cytokines is crap, and that all the lovely ingredients listed underneath the retinol (0.2 percent) do a wonderful job in the accelerator.

Of course I never said that.

What I did say is that the actives in the Accelerator are there in carefully thought through doses, and for a reason - 1. medical evidence of efficacy, 2. known role physiologically & biochemically, and 3.cross compatibility physiologically & biochemically.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
DrJ wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
DrJ wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:

I am aware of W/O and O/W emulsions, and was not saying that a lot of water soaking the skin is good.
Just stating a fact that looking at many products water is first on the list often expensive water!

But in the correct amount it can help enhance penetration or no? Some actives we use only dissolve well in H2O.

Yes, water is required. 60% of our body is water. 50% of most foodstuffs is water. Essential for life and certainly biochemistry. And yes, most actives are water solublle therefore in the W phase of the emulsion.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Dr J, I would like to know more about nanoencapsulation of ingredients. Would appreciate any literature that demonstrates increased delivery of actives via nanoliposomes. TY

We had a discussion on another thread recently. I have forgotten where. I'll search around.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I did find a patent description where cytokines were connected to fatty acids to enhance penetration. Man called Skinner developed that in 2008, and cosmeceutical use was stated in the patent. Not exactly liposomes but apparently searching for an answer to the same problem.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

We had a discussion on another thread recently. I have forgotten where. I'll search around.

Is this what you were thinking of?

DragoN wrote:
Quote:
Human pluripotent stem cells (Lifeline).
Source: Created from unfertilized oocytes (female eggs, which have been donated from IVF clinics). These pluripotent stem cells have the capacity to differentiate into any one of 220 different cell types found in the human body (become bones, muscle, lungs, etc.) but have not yet done so. They are more potent than any other kind of stem cell because they are much closer to the original oocyte. Each time the stem cells divide they become more specialized, but also weaker.
The benefits: cellular proliferation, gene regulation and DNA repair
Preservative: Lipid bi-layer nanosphere
Potency: High

How so?

Parthogenic stimulation is only successful for a few rounds, there after, there are major problems. Strange statement about "strength" and proximity to oocyte.

-80C for storage. Even then, you have breakdown. So what exactly if anything is still left in the mix? Not...much.

Ranks up there with spinach mitochondria bits and or pieces slapped on my face to rev up my ATP production.

Characterization of cytokine-encapsulated controlled-release microsphere adjuvants.
Sharma A, Harper CM, Hammer L, Nair RE, Mathiowitz E, Egilmez NK.
Source

TherapyX, Inc., Buffalo, NY, USA.
Abstract

Controlled-release, injectable polymer microspheres provide a clinically feasible alternative to gene-modification for the local, sustained delivery of cytokines to tumors for cancer immunotherapy. Long-term release kinetics, bioactivity profiles, and stability of interleukin-2 (IL-2), interleukin-12 (IL-12), and granulocyte- macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF)-encapsulated microspheres prepared by phase inversion nanoencapsulation (PIN) were evaluated. While all formulations released physiologically relevant quantities of cytokine for up to 30 days, the individual release kinetics were different. Recovery of specific activity after encapsulation was 40%, 60%, and 90%-that of pre-encapsulation levels for IL-2, GM-CSF and IL-12, respectively. Upon storage, the IL-12 microspheres rapidly lost activity, whereas IL-2 and GM-CSF microspheres remained stable for at least 9 weeks. These studies demonstrate that biochemical properties of microsphere formulations vary depending on the cytokine, and rigorous characterization of formulations is a prerequisite to in vivo testing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15665625
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:

I am personally interested in the specific delivery system in AnteAGE, and the science behind why you chose it. This is what I was was trying to get to in my earlier request.

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Is this what you were thinking of?

DragoN wrote:
Quote:
Human pluripotent stem cells (Lifeline).
Source: Created from unfertilized oocytes (female eggs, which have been donated from IVF clinics). These pluripotent stem cells have the capacity to differentiate into any one of 220 different cell types found in the human body (become bones, muscle, lungs, etc.) but have not yet done so. They are more potent than any other kind of stem cell because they are much closer to the original oocyte. Each time the stem cells divide they become more specialized, but also weaker.
The benefits: cellular proliferation, gene regulation and DNA repair
Preservative: Lipid bi-layer nanosphere
Potency: High

How so?

Parthogenic stimulation is only successful for a few rounds, there after, there are major problems. Strange statement about "strength" and proximity to oocyte.

-80C for storage. Even then, you have breakdown. So what exactly if anything is still left in the mix? Not...much.

Ranks up there with spinach mitochondria bits and or pieces slapped on my face to rev up my ATP production.

Characterization of cytokine-encapsulated controlled-release microsphere adjuvants.
Sharma A, Harper CM, Hammer L, Nair RE, Mathiowitz E, Egilmez NK.
Source

TherapyX, Inc., Buffalo, NY, USA.
Abstract

Controlled-release, injectable polymer microspheres provide a clinically feasible alternative to gene-modification for the local, sustained delivery of cytokines to tumors for cancer immunotherapy. Long-term release kinetics, bioactivity profiles, and stability of interleukin-2 (IL-2), interleukin-12 (IL-12), and granulocyte- macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF)-encapsulated microspheres prepared by phase inversion nanoencapsulation (PIN) were evaluated. While all formulations released physiologically relevant quantities of cytokine for up to 30 days, the individual release kinetics were different. Recovery of specific activity after encapsulation was 40%, 60%, and 90%-that of pre-encapsulation levels for IL-2, GM-CSF and IL-12, respectively. Upon storage, the IL-12 microspheres rapidly lost activity, whereas IL-2 and GM-CSF microspheres remained stable for at least 9 weeks. These studies demonstrate that biochemical properties of microsphere formulations vary depending on the cytokine, and rigorous characterization of formulations is a prerequisite to in vivo testing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15665625

There is a much broader literature just about liposomes and solid lipid nanoparticles. In terms of encapsulation for dermal delivery, there is nothing all that special about cytokines in this context; just think of them as peptides or proteins. I have a good reference for protein delivery in general I will dig up.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Nice to see you back Beth... Hope all your babies are A-okay... Very Happy xox

Thank you Kassy! The babies are doing great...I recently lost one older one to diabetes, but the other 7 are still keeping me on my toes. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
General reference

http://dermatology-s10.cdlib.org/1601/reviews/research/nino.html

Optimising Clinical Efficacy via Optimising Penetration

http://ebookbrowse.com/pres-wkshp3-optimising-clinical-efficacy-via-optimising-penetration-pdf-d103770325

Surfactants
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3283952/?tool=pubmed

SLN's

http://144.206.159.178/ft/114/86007/1453746.pdf

SLN's and NLC's

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169409X02001187

Liposomes review

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1517/17425247.2012.666968
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Nice to see you back Beth... Hope all your babies are A-okay... Very Happy xox

Thank you Kassy! The babies are doing great...I recently lost one older one to diabetes, but the other 7 are still keeping me on my toes. Smile

I got a kick out of this Hi and thanks. For the new members I can only imagine......

Glad your fur babies are doing well and sorry to hear about the one you lost. I had to let Frodo go due to diabetes as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I believe it was jom who likes to divide the world of actives into "acidic" and "soothing". In this vein, I have an anecdote to share about AnteAge. Just heard about this today.

An AnteAGE user had a deep acid (phenol + TCA) peel procedure (done in dermatologist office) but didn't peel. But she liked the results (after a week). The doctor was baffled. A peel-less peel? Will look further.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |