Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Question about collagen supplements for skin & hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkyWalker

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Hello! I've been lurking here for a while but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question through search results.
I just turned 20 a few weeks ago and I was wondering if I am too young to begin taking collagen supplements. I am already on MSM but it seems like collagen will aid not only in clearing up my skin but also with hair growth. I was considering Neocell because it is cheaper but I was also thinking about BioSil. So am I too young to start this? TIA
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
People start losing collagen in their 20's. But since you just turned 20 you may not have started losing it yet. Signs will be wrinkling, drooping, joint pain, and worsening quality of hair skin and nails. Biosil is a good product but so often I hear of some getting breakouts from it. I like NeoCell, personally.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Who has made these claims about collagen SkyWalker, and are they backed by studies published in a reputable scientific journal? Are you referring to straight collagen or hydrolysed (marketed as a source of low MW hyaluronic acid)?

Collagen is a protein, your digestive system will digest it like any other. The amino acids will be utilised by the body as required, skin is unlikely to be preferentially treated. If your diet is deficient in protein the body generally prioritises essential repairs and maintenance not beautiful skin, if your diet contains more that the body can utilise it will be burned as energy or stored as fat.

It is generally far more effective to clean up the diet than expect individual or small groups of nutrients to make up for poor lifestyle habits. Nutrients work synergistically and in opposition, so supplementing without reference to the needs of the individual can do more harm than good.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SkyWalker

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for responding!
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox, I am not Skywalker but have seen studies on collagen and skin density, improvements in bone density, etc.

"Research has shown that oral collagen can actually increase the number/density of skin cells and enhances the formation of collagen fibers (Journal of Nutr Sci Vitaminol, 52, 211-215,2006"

But people feel it for themselves when they take it. Try google, there are a lot of studies out there.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:20 am      Reply with quote
What kind of "studies"? Can you provide a link if that is allowed on this site? Collagen supplements don't do anything for the skin. As Firefox said its best to eat healthy and drink plenty of water. As far as skin supplements, I think biotin and msm in combination with a healthy antioxidant rich diet is the best option.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Another vote for skipping the rest and going to biotin and MSM. Just to warn you, it doesn't clear up your skin. Hair will look better, increase your protein intake for extra results.

I notice when I stop taking these.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Cat_eyes wrote:
What kind of "studies"? Can you provide a link if that is allowed on this site? Collagen supplements don't do anything for the skin. As Firefox said its best to eat healthy and drink plenty of water. As far as skin supplements, I think biotin and msm in combination with a healthy antioxidant rich diet is the best option.

All the "studies" I find in favor of oral collagen supplements are on sites selling them!

There is:

Transdermal Delivery of Amino Acids and Antioxidants Enhance Collagen Synthesis: In Vivo and In Vitro Studies

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03008200500416716

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:34 am      Reply with quote
There are studies from independent sites, I posted one above and you can search for more. But collagen is an inexpensive natural substance, so don't expect a lot of big money studies..those are reserved for pharmaceuticals. You can read over 700 consumer reviews here

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Neocell-Super-Collagen-Type-1-3-7-oz-198-g/6074/?p=1
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
7Destiny wrote:
There are studies from independent sites, I posted one above and you can search for more. But collagen is an inexpensive natural substance, so don't expect a lot of big money studies..those are reserved for pharmaceuticals. You can read over 700 consumer reviews here

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Neocell-Super-Collagen-Type-1-3-7-oz-198-g/6074/?p=1

I will respectably agree we disagree for our own personal preferences, I am happy for those who are finding great results taking these supplements. I just choose not to take them. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
7Destiny wrote:
Firefox, I am not Skywalker but have seen studies on collagen and skin density, improvements in bone density, etc.

"Research has shown that oral collagen can actually increase the number/density of skin cells and enhances the formation of collagen fibers (Journal of Nutr Sci Vitaminol, 52, 211-215,2006"

But people feel it for themselves when they take it. Try google, there are a lot of studies out there.

Here is one study you cite (Effects of Ingestion of Collagen Peptides on Collagen Fibrils and Glycosaminoglycans in the Dermis):

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnsv/52/3/211/_pdf

Basically it's a study done on piglets (3 per group) whose standard diet was supplemented with either nothing (Group 1) or "porcine skin-derived collagen peptides" (Group 2) or Lactalbumin, which is milk albumin from whey (Group 3). Dosage for Collagen Peptide was 0.2 grams per kg of body weight.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:27 am      Reply with quote
7Destiny wrote:

I am not spending hours filtering the occasional gem from reams of pseudo-science and sales pitches on Google, but I did a brief search on PubMed and came up with little to nothing.

Who are you quoting please 7Destiny? The words before the reference are not the study title, I can only find them on EDS and on QVC. Have you been able to access and review the study for yourself? Unfortunately Lacy53's link doesn't work for me, nor does the link from PubMed.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16967766
Collagen peptides suggests to me hydrolysed collagen, which is not the same animal as whole collagen protein. Hopefully someone who has access to the full study can confirm or deny.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Arielle_BorealicB
5% products discount

Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting discussion!

I've been wondering whether collagen supplements indeed are useful - it seems logical they won't survive the journey through our digestive system...

Curious to hear more about this!
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that getting enough vitamin C is what's needed to maintain collagen levels.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 3:44 am      Reply with quote
That's what I thought as well. That vitamin c internally and externally supported collagen.
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, do you get nothing when you enter Journal of Nutr Sci Vitaminol, 52, 211-215,2006?

Try googling dermis density and collagen or similar.

I am trying to satisfy your interest in scientific citation, but personally I found my own experience compelling plus the hundreds of reviews online. Have you ever tried collagen 1 & 3 yourself?
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, in case you are still having trouble, click on this and scroll down to the link to free full article.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnsv/52/3/52_3_211/_article
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |