Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Orlane Special Price, Super-Moisturizing Light Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Juvena Pure Cleansing Refining Peeling (100 ml / 3.4 oz) Rodial Stretch MX (150 ml / 5.1 floz)
Vitamin C serum....are you supposed to notice a difference?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
So this past year I have made my own vitamin C serum, I've bought and finished a bottle of Skinceuticals C+E Ferulic as well as am currently using Vivier vitamin C serum and have not noticed a difference in my skin's complexion. Is vitamin C supposed to make your skin noticeably better? I keep hearing all the raves about Vit C, but I have not noticed the benefits. I keep applying it on everyday because I hear that it's great for fighting free radicals that contribute to photoaging. Am I supposed to notice a difference in the appearance of my skin? Or is Vitamin C serum something i'll appreciate when I'm 50 yrs old and my skin is looking more youthful than my friends who don't wear Vit C?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
From what I know (which is limited) only about 60% of people notice a visable difference from using vitamin c, but even if you don't you still get the antioxidant power from it. Please correct me if I am wrong or elaborate vitamin c experts!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
kmrmv8 wrote:
From what I know (which is limited) only about 60% of people notice a visable difference from using vitamin c, but even if you don't you still get the antioxidant power from it. Please correct me if I am wrong or elaborate vitamin c experts!

I have posted a study somewhere (and so have others) that says that Vitamin C topical only "works" for around 60% of people, now I am not sure if that is visibly works or works at all?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
You may notice a difference but there are a lot of variables. How long have you been using vitamin C serums for BCgirl? What issues are you hoping to address or is this purely preventative? Do the concentration and pH of the products you have chosen fit in with the research? Are you adhering to the wait times before and after application?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
So this past year I have made my own vitamin C serum, I've bought and finished a bottle of Skinceuticals C+E Ferulic as well as am currently using Vivier vitamin C serum and have not noticed a difference in my skin's complexion. Is vitamin C supposed to make your skin noticeably better? I keep hearing all the raves about Vit C, but I have not noticed the benefits. I keep applying it on everyday because I hear that it's great for fighting free radicals that contribute to photoaging. Am I supposed to notice a difference in the appearance of my skin? Or is Vitamin C serum something i'll appreciate when I'm 50 yrs old and my skin is looking more youthful than my friends who don't wear Vit C?

At your age I don't know if you can expect to see a difference. For you it could just be preventive. I know I saw a great improvement in my brown spots when I started using Vitamin C. If you continue to use it, with sunscreen over it, you may never have brown spots that you will have to get rid of.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
BCgirl wrote:

At your age I don't know if you can expect to see a difference. For you it could just be preventive. I know I saw a great improvement in my brown spots when I started using Vitamin C. If you continue to use it, with sunscreen over it, you may never have brown spots that you will have to get rid of.

I would agree with this, I started my C serum in my early 40's after 4 kids and what wonders that does to the tone of the skin. I did notice immediate glow, but with continued use my skin is much more even toned and I would not give my C up for anything!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
You may notice a difference but there are a lot of variables. How long have you been using vitamin C serums for BCgirl? What issues are you hoping to address or is this purely preventative? Do the concentration and pH of the products you have chosen fit in with the research? Are you adhering to the wait times before and after application?

i have been using it for about a year now every morning after cleansing. Yes, the concentration of the vitamin C i have chosen should "work".

Quote:

I am 27 yrs old, so I am hoping that continued use will hopefully prevent wrinkles and age spots later in the future. As well as i hear Vit C helps with boosting collagen for a more youthful appearance. However, I did notice a new freckle about a week ago and I do put on spf 32 sunscreen every single day!

5% products discount

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
I think vitamin c serum is useful for my skin.It make my skin more smooth and white.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
As far as my experience goes, there are two possibilities when it comes to vitamin C products (I'm talking about L-ascorbic acid and in concentration greater than 10% only), either they make skin ruddy, ugly shade, which means, or I'm told, that the formula is wrong, or skin becomes bright and luminous. Then it works. It's noticable even at first application, actually, but the full-on translucence gets better after a few weeks.
My limited experience with other vitamin C forms (MAP, SAP, AAP, AP, AMS, Tetrahexyldecyl, Glucoside and Palmitate forms) has been very disappointing so far.

I'm very interested in that 60 % study, I've seen people reference it almost on daily basis here, but skimming over the huge vitamin C thread left me empty handed, so if anyone would kindly pass a link to that study, I'd be grateful! Cool
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:12 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
As far as my experience goes, there are two possibilities when it comes to vitamin C products (I'm talking about L-ascorbic acid and in concentration greater than 10% only), either they make skin ruddy, ugly shade, which means, or I'm told, that the formula is wrong, or skin becomes bright and luminous. Then it works. It's noticable even at first application, actually, but the full-on translucence gets better after a few weeks.
My limited experience with other vitamin C forms (MAP, SAP, AAP, AP, AMS, Tetrahexyldecyl, Glucoside and Palmitate forms) has been very disappointing so far.

I'm very interested in that 60 % study, I've seen people reference it almost on daily basis here, but skimming over the huge vitamin C thread left me empty handed, so if anyone would kindly pass a link to that study, I'd be grateful! Cool

jazzi,

I know I posted a study that stated that, however it was at least a year ago or more.
I am not sure which thread I posted it on, I searched 10 pages of my posts last night and got tired.
I am not even sure how I found it in first place as I do recall stumbling across it while looking for something else, I will try and find my post as I know I did link to the study, just remember it was one study and like many take it with a grain of salt.

I will try my best to locate it and if I do I will provide you the link.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm very interested in that 60 % study, I've seen people reference it almost on daily basis here, but skimming over the huge vitamin C thread left me empty handed, so if anyone would kindly pass a link to that study, I'd be grateful!

Vitamin C does not work in everyone For reasons that are not yet known, Ascorbic Acid at a good concentration does not work in everyone. It may only be 60% of the population who get the age reversing benefits of vitamin C. Some people who do not respond to Ascorbic Acid however still get anti-aging benefits from the newer vitamin C derivatives. Vitamin C, however is a potent antioxidant and you still should get the benefits of protection from UV induced cell damage even if it does not keep you looking younger

http://www.natural-skin-care-info.com/vitamin-c-serum.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
Quote:
I'm very interested in that 60 % study, I've seen people reference it almost on daily basis here, but skimming over the huge vitamin C thread left me empty handed, so if anyone would kindly pass a link to that study, I'd be grateful!

Vitamin C does not work in everyone For reasons that are not yet known, Ascorbic Acid at a good concentration does not work in everyone. It may only be 60% of the population who get the age reversing benefits of vitamin C. Some people who do not respond to Ascorbic Acid however still get anti-aging benefits from the newer vitamin C derivatives. Vitamin C, however is a potent antioxidant and you still should get the benefits of protection from UV induced cell damage even if it does not keep you looking younger

Thank you BCgirl!

I know someplace there is an abstract, but I have had a hard time finding it again! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I think i might be in that 40% category of ppl that Vit C doesn't work. It has not brightened up my complexion, it hasn't evened out my skintone, it hasn't diminished my pore size, it hasn't controlled my break-outs, it hasn't given me a "dewy" look. It has been one year of using every day...and nothing. I think my skin is just weird....i think starting to think i am one of the only people that is not getting the benefits of retin-a either. I've been using retin-a for about 2 years now. At first i started to use it at a .05% and it caused major dryness so now I am just using .025%. I haven't noticed a difference in my complexion either. My pores, blackheads and whiteheads are not gone or lessened. I am still continuing to use these products in hopes that there are some anti-aging benefits in the long run....

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I think i might be in that 40% category of ppl that Vit C doesn't work. It has not brightened up my complexion, it hasn't evened out my skintone, it hasn't diminished my pore size, it hasn't controlled my break-outs, it hasn't given me a "dewy" look. It has been one year of using every day...and nothing. I think my skin is just weird....i think starting to think i am one of the only people that is not getting the benefits of retin-a either. I've been using retin-a for about 2 years now. At first i started to use it at a .05% and it caused major dryness so now I am just using .025%. I haven't noticed a difference in my complexion either. My pores, blackheads and whiteheads are not gone or lessened. I am still continuing to use these products in hopes that there are some anti-aging benefits in the long run....

Compare the 40% to most other actives which are about 30% failure rates. More if you subtract placebo effects.

Vit C works not just as antioxidant, but also stimulates collagen production (types I and III).

Vit C is potentiates or is potentiated by other actives, especially other topical vits (E, B3, etc).

Vit C (like many others) more effective in postmenopausal women (mainly for the obvious reason - they have more to repair).

Consider switching to a combo of C,E,pantothene, maybe niacinamide, and a retinoid. Retinoids much better tolerated than retin-A, with same effects, acc. to recent studies. And you need a superb moisturizer of course.

Here is a good article on Vit C: (older, classic) referring to collagen effects

J Invest Dermatol. 2001 Jun;116(6):853-9.
Topically applied vitamin C enhances the mRNA level of collagens I and III, their processing enzymes and tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase 1 in the human dermis.

Nusgens BV, Humbert P, Rougier A, Colige AC, Haftek M, Lambert CA, Richard A, Creidi P, LapiŤre CM.
Source

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is a cofactor required for the function of several hydroxylases and monooxygenases. It is not synthesized in humans and some other animal species and has to be provided by diet or pharmacologic means. Its absence is responsible for scurvy, a condition related in its initial phases to a defective synthesis of collagen by the reduced function of prolylhydroxylase and production of collagen polypeptides lacking hydroxyproline, therefore, they are unable to assemble into stable triple-helical collagen molecules. In fibroblast cultures, vitamin C also stimulates collagen production by increasing the steady-state level of mRNA of collagen types I and III through enhanced transcription and prolonged half-life of the transcripts. The aim of the experimental work has been to evaluate the effect on dermal cells of a preparation of vitamin C topically applied on one side vs placebo on the other side of the dorsal face of the upper forearm of postmenopausal women. Biopsies were collected on both sides and the level of mRNA measured by non competitive reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction made quantitative by the simultaneous transcription and amplification of synthetic RNA used as internal standards. The mRNA of collagen type I and type III were increased to a similar extent by vitamin C and that of three post-translational enzymes, the carboxy- and amino-procollagen proteinases and lysyloxidase similarly increased. The mRNA of decorin was also stimulated, but elastin, and fibrillin 1 and 2 were not modified by the vitamin. The expression of matrix metalloproteinases 1, 2, and 9 was not significantly changed, but an increased level of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase 1 mRNA was observed without modification of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase 2 mRNA. The stimulating activity of topical vitamin C was most conspicuous in the women with the lowest dietary intake of the vitamin and unrelated to the level of actinic damage. The results indicate that the functional activity of the dermal cells is not maximal in postmenopausal women and can be increased.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Consider switching to a combo of C,E,pantothene, maybe niacinamide, and a retinoid. Retinoids much better tolerated than retin-A, with same effects, acc. to recent studies. And you need a superb moisturizer of course.

Dr. J, who do think produces the best Vit C combo product?

Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:

Interesting, though that site doesn't mention how they came to this conclusion about vitamin C resistance.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Could it be that you're not noticing so much of an effect because you're so young already (mid-20's) and hence there's not much room for improvement?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Could it be that you're not noticing so much of an effect because you're so young already (mid-20's) and hence there's not much room for improvement?

That is a very good point cm (as always) I know my skin was peaches and cream at that age, I really only noticed some hyperpigmentation after a few kids! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:29 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
cm5597 wrote:

That is a very good point cm (as always) I know my skin was peaches and cream at that age, I really only noticed some hyperpigmentation after a few kids! Shock

It seems like our generation is either aging faster than yours did DM, (from what? Electronics or something? Many say tanning booths etc but I've never used one!) OR we're just all totally paranoid about aging because of the effect the media has had on us. I've noticed there are several 26/27 year olds on here suddenly, myself included. Very weird. And we're all freaking out about aging. Sucks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:16 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
cm5597 wrote:

It seems like our generation is either aging faster than yours did DM, (from what? Electronics or something? Many say tanning booths etc but I've never used one!) OR we're just all totally paranoid about aging because of the effect the media has had on us. I've noticed there are several 26/27 year olds on here suddenly, myself included. Very weird. And we're all freaking out about aging. Sucks!

I think it is the generation I am sorry to say but when I see 18-20 year olds on here saying they have wrinkles I just want to scream!
I never had any until 50, my 31 yo and 23 yo daughter do not have any signs of aging! It is crazy, but you have 10-15 yo fashion models and 18-20 yo selling wrinkle cream it is becoming more and more "youth" obsessed. Sorry down off my soap box now!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 am      Reply with quote
I think we all think we're supposed to look perfectly airbrushed 100% of the time! And not human. Because of all the pictures we see!!!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:29 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I think we all think we're supposed to look perfectly airbrushed 100% of the time! And not human. Because of all the pictures we see!!!!

Exactly! My generation did not grow up with magazines that airbrushed or photoshopped all the models, sure they had some old school tricks up their sleeves but nothing as sophisticated and deceiving (IMO) as what you see in your generation! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Here's a great example:

http://www.whatsthaword.com/2011/09/the-beauty-of-airbrush-hollywood-before-and-after

Especially the Faith Hill one. The face is exactly what I'm talking about!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Here's a great example:

http://www.whatsthaword.com/2011/09/the-beauty-of-airbrush-hollywood-before-and-after

Especially the Faith Hill one. The face is exactly what I'm talking about!

Perfect example EG!

Love the comment:

In regards to Madonna, clearly a regular offender, WHY canít you just accept your age? You look WAY better than ANY other 53 year old. Embrace what you have!

Also, I find it funny that, yes, all of these pictures are of women. Men do get their faces airbrushed often, but women get slimmed AND enhanced as well. As you can see, Keira Knightly got boobs, and Faith Hillís arm was slimmed. Yes, these pictures may look ďbetterĒ to society, but they donít contribute to a positive image of a woman.

What does a retouched image do for society? That I will never understand. Itís promoting artifice, right? If every magazine and product endorsement showed REAL people, than thatís what we would become familiar with; REAL.

Maybe one day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am      Reply with quote
liuliameng wrote:
I think vitamin c serum is useful for my skin.It make my skin more smooth and white.

So, do vitamin C serums lighten skin?

I wonder why they would work so well, given that there are other antioxidants?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Bioelements Urban Detox (29 ml / 1 floz) Juvena Pure Cleansing Refining Peeling (100 ml / 3.4 oz) Rodial Stretch MX (150 ml / 5.1 floz)