Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Devita SPF 30+ - rash and burning
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:06 am      Reply with quote
So after much research I figured Devita would be the ideal SPF + moisturizer combo. People have repeatedly described it as being light with no or low sheen and a good protector from the sun. However, after using it for a week, I must say I am very disappointed. Every time I use it I have had a bilateral rash on my cheeks and my neck. Furthermore, the thing stings like hell both on my skin and my eyes. It stings so bad in my eyes that they tear and I do not put it anywhere close to the eye area. I am not sure if this occurs only after I use retin-a overnight - but I think the retin-a the previous night makes the experience more intense (in a bad way).

Anyways, I am in the market for a good light moisturizer + spf combo and was wondering what other recommendations did you gals have. I am kinda blah that devita doesn't suit me b/c it is indeed very light and not that greasy at all.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Sorry Guppy,

I know Riley has had a bout of very sensitive skin for a long while now, she made a recommendation of:

If she doesn't like the Skinceuticals, and she likes a faint rose scent, try Pratima. I have dry skin now and this is my favorite sunscreen.

On this thread,

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45333

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I can't wear it around my eyes either.

Are you maybe overdoing on retin A?

I did a glycolic peel a while ago and left it on for too long, and my skin sting for the next few days when I applied Devita.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 am      Reply with quote
It sounds like you could be allergic to this stuff. Discontinue use immediately. A good one for sensitive skin is Burnout sensitive. Its in the blue and white tube. It is very light and nongreasy. It is also very reasonably priced and their customer service is top notch.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I love Devita ss. I have sensitive eyes and its the only ss I can use all around my eyes...no sensitivity whatsoever.

Goes to show how we're all so different.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I love Devita ss. I have sensitive eyes and its the only ss I can use all around my eyes...no sensitivity whatsoever.

Goes to show how we're all so different.

Exactly,

My skin never reacts, but my eyes burn with most everything if I get it too close! Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I may be allergic to it or I suppose I may be overdoing it with the retin-a, but I doubt it as I have been using retin-a for a lengthy period and have the routine down well.

For now, I ha some oil of olay spf 15 left over and have been using that and it works well, although it's not a physical sunscreen.

Do any stores sell burnout? I would rather try it before I buy it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Guppy wrote:
I may be allergic to it or I suppose I may be overdoing it with the retin-a, but I doubt it as I have been using retin-a for a lengthy period and have the routine down well.

For now, I ha some oil of olay spf 15 left over and have been using that and it works well, although it's not a physical sunscreen.

Do any stores sell burnout? I would rather try it before I buy it.

I know Whole Foods (California Only) was carrying it, I am not sure if they have expanded to other stores, that was over a year ago! If you have on near you might give them a call and ask?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use Devita and it did have a temporary slight sting when I applied it, though it never broke me out in a rash (the body version broke me out in blemishes, though!)

I'm now using Pratima Neem Vetiver SPF 30. It's very light and has minimal ingredients (and neem is good for skin problems). I'm really liking it. It's not as overly fragrant as their rose facial version and it's less expensive/ounce.

Like the Devita, it has a bit of a dewy shine, so I use powder over it, but then I press a drop of it with my palms onto just the apples of my cheeks for a bit of glow. It seems to control oiliness well.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Which Devita SPF30, Guppy, the facial Solar protective or the Body Block?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2012 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox, it is Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30+.

I am just a little hesitant to get anything online again but I can't find most of the recommended light spf moisturizers in person to try. ugggg
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2012 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Boo, Guppy, that Devita has a gentle ingredients list too. Maybe e-mail a few sunscreen companies, explain your experience and see if they offer samples? The other option could be to DIY using coated, micronised zinc oxide; there may be recipes here on EDS but I know Iamme on Skincaretalk used a base of CeraVe cream and Aveeno (separately!) and these have been well received.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Guppy, Devita stung me around the eyes too. In the Vitacost reviews of it, I read that others had the same problem, and that some were also doubting its SPF strength.

Do you ever use powders? I have been using
these: mostly the middle one:

http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-us/search.html

I probably don't use enough for an SPF 50 effect, but get something out of it.
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 05, 2012 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Is burnout the same light and non-greasy texture as Devita?

I am looking at the white and blue tube of ECO-SENSITIVE CLEAN AND CLEAR SUNSCREEN SPF 32.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 05, 2012 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Guppy wrote:
Is burnout the same light and non-greasy texture as Devita?

I am looking at the white and blue tube of ECO-SENSITIVE CLEAN AND CLEAR SUNSCREEN SPF 32.

Hi Guppy,

I am great with Burnout but have not switched since finding it, so never tried Devita.

You may find some comparing the two on the Burnout review thread.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=38705

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |