Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Oil around eye area at night can cause stretching...?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
morocha
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 243
Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Just at night or during the day as well? That may be the reason why my eye bags look so stretched now! I have been putting oil for a long time now specially since I'm doing Tanaka massage 2 times a day(Now I will only do it in the morning after washing my face)and I didn't know what was causing my eyes to look stretched and I've been noticing this for several weeks now, is there a way I can reverse this or I have stretched my eyes forever??

Can they de-puff if I avoid putting oil at night?

What can be a good solution to this?

Will they ever reverse to a tighter and smoother skin?

Will they shrink back to their normal size or I have stretched them forever?

That's why I was wondering why my eyes still look so baggy and kinda stretched after massaging, I didn't know oil at night can stretch your eyes?

SO,I guess oil at night for your entire face is a no no because if it stretch your eyes it can also stretch your face?

Please help.

Thank You!
morocha
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 243
Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Can I use aloe vera gel instead?

Thank You!
NotMeNotYou
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 237
Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 am      Reply with quote
First of all, where did you get that information? I've been using pure oil on my face for many years and a stretched appearance has never been the result. In fact my skin is very taut with few lines at all. What I have noticed though is that oil on or near the eyes at night isn't a good idea because it causes puffiness. Puffiness is actually water retention around the eye area, the body's natural reaction to irritation. Simply ceasing use of oil in this area at night completely fixes that, usually within 2-3 days. If you've used oil for a long time at night it may take up to a week for the skin to loose the puffiness.

_________________
40, fine porcelain skin, tendency to pigmentation no other issues. Rosehip oil is the cornerstone of my skin care.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 649
Tue May 01, 2012 12:59 am      Reply with quote
I kind of doubt the oil is causing a stretched look although you could avoid using the oil at night and see how that goes.

I would hazard a quess that Tanaka massage 2x a day might be too much. Try it once a day.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 509
Tue May 01, 2012 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I agree that Tanaka twice a day sounds like too much for you. Also, don't apply too much pressure around the eyes. That may be causing the stretching. I use coconut oil on my face for the massage and love it. A little goes a long way with it.

_________________
49 years young, brown hair/eyes, Careprost, Ageless If You Dare, Tanaka massage ツ
morocha
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 243
Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi and thank you for the reply.

I found it here while educating myself. The name of the thread is "what's the best skin (carrier) oil?"

I tried to find the link on the search but it seems to not work very well or I'm doing something wrong.

I copied the reply to that post:

For Bethany.
No oil on eye area at night because body temp. rises while you sleep and this heats the oil. The reaction causes stretching of this delicate skin area. And you will get stretched skin which will manifest as crinkled skin or even bagging around the eyes when it reverts to its cooled state.
You can use oils on the eye area during the day. I use to often put glycerine and olive oil around my eye during the day, or you can use your eye cream or moisturizer.
Vegetable Glycerine will MOISTURIZE the eye area which is what you are really trying to do and you will see beautiful results. Only health food store vegetable glycerine. It is a great idea to do this when you're in your twenties. I was never able to use up the glycerine as you use a minute amount and can mix it with water if it is too thick. It is O.K. to use an eye gel without oil but it is not the same as eye cream. I do not know about eye serums at night because it is always suggested to put your moisturizer over a serum.
I am going to be 60 in March and no crows feet or bags or wrinkles around eyes.
I recently lost weight and now I am All That!
Bur I have some sag in the jowl area that didn't show before when I had more weight on my face.
I bought an expensive serum from Lancome that is supposed to LIFT. And I am using a knockoff of stivectin called Dermactin that I found at Rickys beauty supply in NYC. My skin responded very well to this product.
I am searching for a facial exercise that might help. Any ideas?
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 453
Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
Hi and thank you for the reply.

I found it here while educating myself. The name of the thread is "what's the best skin (carrier) oil?"

I tried to find the link on the search but it seems to not work very well or I'm doing something wrong.

I copied the reply to that post:

For Bethany.
No oil on eye area at night because body temp. rises while you sleep and this heats the oil. The reaction causes stretching of this delicate skin area. And you will get stretched skin which will manifest as crinkled skin or even bagging around the eyes when it reverts to its cooled state.
You can use oils on the eye area during the day. I use to often put glycerine and olive oil around my eye during the day, or you can use your eye cream or moisturizer.
Vegetable Glycerine will MOISTURIZE the eye area which is what you are really trying to do and you will see beautiful results. Only health food store vegetable glycerine. It is a great idea to do this when you're in your twenties. I was never able to use up the glycerine as you use a minute amount and can mix it with water if it is too thick. It is O.K. to use an eye gel without oil but it is not the same as eye cream. I do not know about eye serums at night because it is always suggested to put your moisturizer over a serum.
I am going to be 60 in March and no crows feet or bags or wrinkles around eyes.
I recently lost weight and now I am All That!
Bur I have some sag in the jowl area that didn't show before when I had more weight on my face.
I bought an expensive serum from Lancome that is supposed to LIFT. And I am using a knockoff of stivectin called Dermactin that I found at Rickys beauty supply in NYC. My skin responded very well to this product.
I am searching for a facial exercise that might help. Any ideas?


Just wondering... don't most eye creams have oils in them? Does that mean that they cause stretching if applied at night too?
And I always thought our body temperature lowers when sleeping...
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 649
Thu May 17, 2012 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have found my eyes look a lot better since I quit using an eye cream at night(less puffiness).

I can get away with a light weight serum but most of the time at night I don't use anything.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8031
Thu May 17, 2012 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I personally use oils around my eyes all the time!

_________________
No longer answering PM's due to numerous weird messages.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Posts: 576
Fri May 18, 2012 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
HI,
I think sometimes you have to listen -read- the information with a pinch of salt... I remember I started using vaseline around my eyes in a period of time that my skin was really dry (I have bouts of ezcema), and the wrinkles seemed to be appearing out of the blue around eye area... well the vaseline helped in that time more than any cream (they all caused some kind of redness but vaseline didn't, just kept the skin moist as an occlusive applied over a wet/moist skin), and a forum member -not this forum but another,- earnestly gave me a report about it causing sagginess and then went on saying that it didn't help at all as it was a molecule way to big for the skin to absorb... go figure... how can it cause sagginess if it is not absorbed!
Just to say, applying vaseline never caused any sagginess, and that I've been using oils for the last four/five years. If used too near the eye it can irritate therefore causing a puffiness!!
But in this sense it's like any eye cream, they recommend using them along the ocular bone, as the heat of the body, whether day or night will help extend them.
I've personally found that Argan oil doesn't cause me puffiness and has gone beyond my expectations as to moisturising in the eye area, previously my favorite was Rosehip oil, now it is my second best for facial skin.
morocha
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2012
Posts: 243
Fri May 18, 2012 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Very informative! I was also thinking of using Argan oil and Rosehip oil only. I have gone soap and cleanser free for a month now and all I can say is it one of the best things I have done for my skin ever! Before showering(I shower 4-5 times a week) I apply extra virgin olive oil on the dry skin then get into the hot shower for 5 minutes to open the pores, I always use my hands to wash off and then finish with 3 minutes of cold water, I feel so fresh and clean! And no need to moisturize since the oil cleans and sinks in your skin leaving it so soft! And the cold water finish makes it lease shiny on your skin and yet so moisturized!I just rub my skin again to remove extra water and massage and spread oil and water and put my clothes on on a mildly damp skin! So nice! Ah and I use aloe vera gel to wash my intimate area. Very Happy
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 1044
Sat May 19, 2012 4:46 am      Reply with quote
I have been using oils around my eyes for the last 20 years without a problem. I think if I didn't use them I would have lots of dehydration lines around my eyes especially since I live in a very cold climate. With the oils they feel refreshed, well moisturized and they also protect my eye area from a very harsh weather.
Chiara56
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
Hi and thank you for the reply.

I found it here while educating myself. The name of the thread is "what's the best skin (carrier) oil?"

I tried to find the link on the search but it seems to not work very well or I'm doing something wrong.

I copied the reply to that post:

For Bethany.
No oil on eye area at night because body temp. rises while you sleep and this heats the oil. The reaction causes stretching of this delicate skin area. And you will get stretched skin which will manifest as crinkled skin or even bagging around the eyes when it reverts to its cooled state.
You can use oils on the eye area during the day. I use to often put glycerine and olive oil around my eye during the day, or you can use your eye cream or moisturizer.
Vegetable Glycerine will MOISTURIZE the eye area which is what you are really trying to do and you will see beautiful results. Only health food store vegetable glycerine. It is a great idea to do this when you're in your twenties. I was never able to use up the glycerine as you use a minute amount and can mix it with water if it is too thick. It is O.K. to use an eye gel without oil but it is not the same as eye cream. I do not know about eye serums at night because it is always suggested to put your moisturizer over a serum.
I am going to be 60 in March and no crows feet or bags or wrinkles around eyes.
I recently lost weight and now I am All That!
Bur I have some sag in the jowl area that didn't show before when I had more weight on my face.
I bought an expensive serum from Lancome that is supposed to LIFT. And I am using a knockoff of stivectin called Dermactin that I found at Rickys beauty supply in NYC. My skin responded very well to this product.
I am searching for a facial exercise that might help. Any ideas?

I've been trying a lot of things on my right under eye and it just gets worse. Started by showing the puffiness (which I've never had) after oil application overnight. I've tried several other creams to get rid of the wrinkles I am seeing form but they just make those wrinkles permanent. I am not sure how/why. How would glycerine work and would it be in the cosmetics area of say whole foods?
Chiara56
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
HI,
I think sometimes you have to listen -read- the information with a pinch of salt... I remember I started using vaseline around my eyes in a period of time that my skin was really dry (I have bouts of ezcema), and the wrinkles seemed to be appearing out of the blue around eye area... well the vaseline helped in that time more than any cream (they all caused some kind of redness but vaseline didn't, just kept the skin moist as an occlusive applied over a wet/moist skin), and a forum member -not this forum but another,- earnestly gave me a report about it causing sagginess and then went on saying that it didn't help at all as it was a molecule way to big for the skin to absorb... go figure... how can it cause sagginess if it is not absorbed!
Just to say, applying vaseline never caused any sagginess, and that I've been using oils for the last four/five years. If used too near the eye it can irritate therefore causing a puffiness!!
But in this sense it's like any eye cream, they recommend using them along the ocular bone, as the heat of the body, whether day or night will help extend them.
I've personally found that Argan oil doesn't cause me puffiness and has gone beyond my expectations as to moisturising in the eye area, previously my favorite was Rosehip oil, now it is my second best for facial skin.

A couple questions - did the vaseline help with any wrinkles if you had any under the eye? Also why is rose hip oil now your 2nd fav? Are you finding argan to be helpful with under eye wrinkles? Just curious...Thank you!
Chiara56
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
Just at night or during the day as well? That may be the reason why my eye bags look so stretched now! I have been putting oil for a long time now specially since I'm doing Tanaka massage 2 times a day(Now I will only do it in the morning after washing my face)and I didn't know what was causing my eyes to look stretched and I've been noticing this for several weeks now, is there a way I can reverse this or I have stretched my eyes forever??

Can they de-puff if I avoid putting oil at night?

What can be a good solution to this?

Will they ever reverse to a tighter and smoother skin?

Will they shrink back to their normal size or I have stretched them forever?

That's why I was wondering why my eyes still look so baggy and kinda stretched after massaging, I didn't know oil at night can stretch your eyes?

SO,I guess oil at night for your entire face is a no no because if it stretch your eyes it can also stretch your face?

Please help.

Thank You!

just bumping this b/c I am in the same situation and I'm not sure there was a suggestion on how to fix...thanks! Smile
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Posts: 576
Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Chiara56 wrote:
ATester wrote:
HI,
I think sometimes you have to listen -read- the information with a pinch of salt... I remember I started using vaseline around my eyes in a period of time that my skin was really dry (I have bouts of ezcema), and the wrinkles seemed to be appearing out of the blue around eye area... well the vaseline helped in that time more than any cream (they all caused some kind of redness but vaseline didn't, just kept the skin moist as an occlusive applied over a wet/moist skin), and a forum member -not this forum but another,- earnestly gave me a report about it causing sagginess and then went on saying that it didn't help at all as it was a molecule way to big for the skin to absorb... go figure... how can it cause sagginess if it is not absorbed!
Just to say, applying vaseline never caused any sagginess, and that I've been using oils for the last four/five years. If used too near the eye it can irritate therefore causing a puffiness!!
But in this sense it's like any eye cream, they recommend using them along the ocular bone, as the heat of the body, whether day or night will help extend them.
I've personally found that Argan oil doesn't cause me puffiness and has gone beyond my expectations as to moisturising in the eye area, previously my favorite was Rosehip oil, now it is my second best for facial skin.

A couple questions - did the vaseline help with any wrinkles if you had any under the eye? Also why is rose hip oil now your 2nd fav? Are you finding argan to be helpful with under eye wrinkles? Just curious...Thank you!


Hi Chiara56, vaseline helped with extreme dryness, eczema problems, prevented the "wrinkles" formed by this condition to get worse, as the condition resolved the dryness eased and the skin went back to normal. Just a few fine lines under the eye area..
Nowadays, yes I've found that argan oil has helped with under eye wrinkles and crows feet, after about three months of using it morning and night all over my face by the way! Because of this now the rosehip oil is my second best, was my first one before knowing the argan, I now prefer the argan if I had to choose one or the other. I'm using the rosehip oil only at night and not around eye area as it puffs them up in my personal case. For the eye area I also like shea butter, very moisturising. Must say I've got into the habit of applying the argan oil or shea butter, I often use both together, not only morning and night but also at least once more in between, like midday, or even a fourth time, mid afternoon. I work outdoors and too often in full sun, so I'm finding this regular moisturising very helpful!

I wanted to add, that as mentioned in some post above, I've also found glycerin helpful, I've used it mixed with distilled water and ascorbic acid to make a vit. C serum which I liked,... and having it in stock I've used it mixed with water as a simple moisturiser and quite liked it. Where I live I buy the glycerin at the chemist/pharmacy.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Posts: 576
Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:44 am      Reply with quote
times
morocha wrote:
Very informative! I was also thinking of using Argan oil and Rosehip oil only. I have gone soap and cleanser free for a month now and all I can say is it one of the best things I have done for my skin ever! Before showering(I shower 4-5 times a week) I apply extra virgin olive oil on the dry skin then get into the hot shower for 5 minutes to open the pores, I always use my hands to wash off and then finish with 3 minutes of cold water, I feel so fresh and clean! And no need to moisturize since the oil cleans and sinks in your skin leaving it so soft! And the cold water finish makes it lease shiny on your skin and yet so moisturized!I just rub my skin again to remove extra water and massage and spread oil and water and put my clothes on on a mildly damp skin! So nice! Ah and I use aloe vera gel to wash my intimate area. Very Happy


Morocha, I'm understanding you are cleansing your whole body this way, not only your face? I've tried a couple times body wise but have trouble getting oil free with just the hot water in the shower, apart from sliping in the tub. Don't have any trouble on face using the microfiber cloth in OCM. But on the body I end up having to use some sort of gel or cloth for body, hands only doesn't seem enough to get rid of all the oil, or is that what you mean, that not all oil is washed away and that is what you massage and spread on the skin to keep it moist?
Very interested, thanks.
On another point, because of Chiara56 questions, wondered what oil you've been using that may have caused any problems that have made you create this interesting post. I mean, it may have been a certain oil that has caused you trouble, not "oil" per se. For instance, I love olive oil or extra virgin olive oil EVOO, for my OCM, but I do not like it as an oil to leave on for my eye area, it is too thick and leaves my eyes puffy (tried it)... if I have nothing else on hand I will use a tiny bit , drop, on eye bone but no more.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Posts: 3405
Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:30 am      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou wrote:
First of all, where did you get that information? I've been using pure oil on my face for many years and a stretched appearance has never been the result. In fact my skin is very taut with few lines at all. What I have noticed though is that oil on or near the eyes at night isn't a good idea because it causes puffiness. Puffiness is actually water retention around the eye area, the body's natural reaction to irritation. Simply ceasing use of oil in this area at night completely fixes that, usually within 2-3 days. If you've used oil for a long time at night it may take up to a week for the skin to loose the puffiness.


Actually, I heard this also from SA of Cellec-C. I didn't believe her and shared this info on here.

I prefer a firming cream for the night just in case the sleeping on my face is putting too much pressure around the eye.

I've read that Karl Largerfeld used cellulite cream everywhere to try and stop the stretching.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Phyto-C Phyto Gel (15 ml / 0.5 floz) glominerals gloShimmer Brick - Luster (7.4 g / 0.26 oz) Bremenn Clinical Upper Eyelid Lifter (15 ml / 0.5 floz)