Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Let's Make a List / Name Your Worst Ingredient
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Firefox - is Castille Soap different from standard soaps? The general consensus is that Castille Soap is safe, natural and environmentally friendly.

Thanks for that info Foxe. Everything that I've read about Castille Soap is positive so I'd be disappointed if that's not the case. The only concern is the alkalinity - but that's why the ACV is added. Anyway, my skin and hair seems to like it!

When referring to ingredients (eg. the potassium cocoate in Foxe's example) soap is soap, it's all alkaline and all has the beneficial emollient oils saponified. The safe/ natural argument comes from the alternative skincare industry: actually sulphate surfactants can be made from oils too.

How your formulate with your ingredient and how your skin responds to the end result is another debate: you can add ACV or citric acid to alter the pH but that is another ingredient. Much the same has to be done with even some of the 'gentle' non-ionic surfactants such as decyl and lauryl glucoside. HTH! Smile

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2012 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I just thought of another thread we need. Top ten beauty industry scams. I vote for plant stem cells at the top of the list.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am      Reply with quote
You are on a rip today aren't you?

Although...I must agree.

Lead the way...I've been down that path, the natives are vicious. They so do not like when you lift the lid on the malarkey. They get irate about that...and blow SPIN at you.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding worst ingredients- just read something in TruthinAging about experiment where Lavender (lintool)[even just a little] kills cells!
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Kath91 wrote:
Regarding worst ingredients- just read something in TruthinAging about experiment where Lavender (lintool)[even just a little] kills cells!

Interesting. Here's the link:
http://www.truthinaging.com/ingredient-spotlight/lavender-and-skin-safety

Quote:
Dr I C Locke found that in concentrations of 0.25%, lavender oil can be cytotoxic to human skin cells. He thinks that linanool, a component of lavender oil and an ingredient that crops all the time in cosmetics and shampoos, is the culprit along with linalyl acetate.

So no more lavender body butter before bed?...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 11:57 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
Kath91 wrote:

Quote:
Dr I C Locke found that in concentrations of 0.25%, lavender oil can be cytotoxic to human skin cells. He thinks that linanool, a component of lavender oil and an ingredient that crops all the time in cosmetics and shampoos, is the culprit along with linalyl acetate.

If you really want it as a soothing sleep aid you can mix about 10/20 drops per oz. of the EO into a mixture of mostly distilled water and Vodka or Evercleer then spray on a small decorative pillow that you keep close in your bed but don't rest your head/face on! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Great! Another one to add to the list - now Lavender is killing us!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Great! Another one to add to the list - now Lavender is killing us!

Oh he!! isn't everything???

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
we just drove by a beautiful lavendar farm - upstate New York - wonderful scent - pulled into little shop on site - sells multi lavendar products - couldn't bear to tell owners about the bad news about lavendar toxicity Question ...is it even safe to inhale???
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Kath91 wrote:
we just drove by a beautiful lavendar farm - upstate New York - wonderful scent - pulled into little shop on site - sells multi lavendar products - couldn't bear to tell owners about the bad news about lavendar toxicity Question ...is it even safe to inhale???

Laughing I think the fact that they are still alive and not dead from smelling it for eons, might mean theres hope after all!
Marjorie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 6:34 am      Reply with quote
After reading the thread on toners, my worst ingredient would be colloidal silver... I have been traumatized by what I read !!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Kath91 wrote:

Laughing I think the fact that they are still alive and not dead from smelling it for eons, might mean theres hope after all!

I know right? I have used lavender EO's and grown Lavender in my garden for ages....and even had Lavender Candy! Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Marjorie wrote:
After reading the thread on toners, my worst ingredient would be colloidal silver... I have been traumatized by what I read !!

AMEN Marjorie! Thank You! Idea

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I know many will not agree with me (probably no one will) but I don't like Aloe Vera in products. It makes my skin excessively dry. It's not in the least moisturizing or soothing. I don't purchase anything with aloe in it.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I know many will not agree with me (probably no one will) but I don't like Aloe Vera in products. It makes my skin excessively dry. It's not in the least moisturizing or soothing. I don't purchase anything with aloe in it.

I've only used fresh aloe, for healing purposes, cuts, burns ect. I find it very tacky, so I do not use in skincare products either.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:

Not at all leelee,

Nothing works or is great for everyone! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny....I agree. I know aloe is good to heal wounds and burns and I've used it for that reason,but I don't get why it is put in moisturizers. Just like you I don't find anything moisturizing about it.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Tiny....I agree. I know aloe is good to heal wounds and burns and I've used it for that reason,but I don't get why it is put in moisturizers. Just like you I don't find anything moisturizing about it.

As a little girl, if I hurt myself, my grandmother would go pinch a peice off and fix my booboo! I still do it to this day, might not do much, but I feel her love and then feel better! But I also feel sticky Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Ooooh 'leelee' and 'tiny'... pair that lovely aloe up with a lovely humectant (or 3) and it's a whole different animal.. Wink

I agree, on it's own it's skin drying rubbish..Crying or Very sad

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Ooooh 'leelee' and 'tiny'... pair that lovely aloe up with a lovely humectant (or 3) and it's a whole different animal.. Wink

I agree, on it's own it's skin drying rubbish..Crying or Very sad

Like? Happy to try anything at least once or twice!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Kath91 wrote:

LOL. Thanks so much for the laugh, Tiny. I cannot quit chuckling about your answer. Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
Kath91 wrote:

Quote:

Lavender Oil and Negative Innuendo

http://personalcaretruth.com/2011/12/lavender-oil-and-negative-innuendo/

Lavender Oil – Skin Savior or Skin Irritant?

http://personalcaretruth.com/2011/09/lavender-oil-skin-savior-or-skin-irritant/

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I'm sure its there somewhere but I've been reading through both threads what exactly is wrong with Syn-Ake is it just that it doesn't work or is it harmful to skin?
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 am      Reply with quote
flick24 wrote:
Sorry I'm sure its there somewhere but I've been reading through both threads what exactly is wrong with Syn-Ake is it just that it doesn't work or is it harmful to skin?

Not only doesn't work, but cannot work, without violating well established principles of neuromuscular junction receptor chemistry, cell biology, and physiology. What makes it so irksome is that the purveyors think the public is so stupid as to be unable to see through the thinly veiled junk science. 1. IF it worked, you would quickly notice drooping eyelids, as they are the facial muscles most sensitive to neuromuscular receptor blockade 2. IF it worked at the muscular level as it claims, it would be a drug, not a cosmetic (just like botox). It has become one of my poster children for industry abuses, which is why I have nicknamed it Synake Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A....what would I mix with aloe to make it moisturizing? Sorry, but I'm not very good at this. Also, aside from being very healing to cuts, wounds and burns, what other benefits does aloe have for the skin?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |