Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Let's Make a List / Name Your Worst Ingredient
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2012 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Sulphate surfactants: known irritants which damage the skin barrier of healthy individuals at concentrations as low as 1%, even in an emollient base. Contributory/ aggravating factor in various forms of dermatitis, psoriasis and acne. SLS is commonly used in studies to induce irritation! There is also research into oral health and sulphate surfactants in toothpaste IIRC. A handful of the many studies
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21443526
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20649794
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21564067
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19467032
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19366370
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18007579

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2012 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
I guess it goes without saying, but how about anything with "soap" in it?

Pure soap is made from oils. Of course, in olden days it was made from whale oil but these days it is usually made from vegetable oils.

The cleansing bars that are sold now are not allowed to be called "soap" because they are not made from oils - this is where it becomes confusing. It is the "cleansing bars" that have given soap a bad name (incorrectly so). My point being that pure soap will not strip the skin like the cleansing bars.

I make my own shampoo using a combination of Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap, Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera Gel because regular shampoos make my scalp itch. Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap is made from Olive Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2012 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox - is Castille Soap different from standard soaps? The general consensus is that Castille Soap is safe, natural and environmentally friendly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2012 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder if this can explain a little about the saponification process. Borrowed from this website

The old ingredient list showed the ingredients before they were made into soap, or saponified. But according to the USDA National Organic Program castile soaps are not allowed to use the word “saponified” in the ingredient list, and are not allowed to list the ingredients before they are processed (saponified). Instead, they are required to list the stuff that is in the soap AFTER it’s been saponified. Confused? Hang in there.

So, OK. We start with Organic coconut oil. In order for it to turn into pure, safe soap it has to go through saponification. Organic coconut oil that has been saponified, or processed with potassium hydroxide, changes into Organic potassium cocoate. There is no longer any potassium hydroxide in the soap after it’s been saponified. Citric acid is added to adjust the pH, and it changes in the process to potassium citrate. It all ends up as pure, safe soap. We don’t put “potassium hydroxide” on the label, because there is no potassium hydroxide in the soap. The potassium hydroxide created a chemical process, and the end product is saponifed Organic coconut oil, or castile soap. Same thing goes for Organic olive oil, which gets saponified and becomes Organic potassium olivate. We used to list what went into the soap kettle, as per our certifier, now we list what comes out of the soap kettle, as per our new certifier!

and another comment from a forum somewhere:

Finished, properly cured soap does not contain any lye; the chemical reaction (saponification) splits the sodium ion (Na) from the hydroxide ion (OH), as it likewise splits the lipid chains from the glycerol in the oils/fats used

It sounds like a good thing to add something like the ACV to your soap Keliu, if it lowers the pH. Looking around for info on the saponification process, it seems like citric acids are added often to castile soaps to lower the pH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Great! Another one to add to the list - now Lavender is killing us!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Kath91 wrote:
we just drove by a beautiful lavendar farm - upstate New York - wonderful scent - pulled into little shop on site - sells multi lavendar products - couldn't bear to tell owners about the bad news about lavendar toxicity Question ...is it even safe to inhale???

Laughing I think the fact that they are still alive and not dead from smelling it for eons, might mean theres hope after all!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Kath91 wrote:
we just drove by a beautiful lavendar farm - upstate New York - wonderful scent - pulled into little shop on site - sells multi lavendar products - couldn't bear to tell owners about the bad news about lavendar toxicity Question ...is it even safe to inhale???

Laughing I think the fact that they are still alive and not dead from smelling it for eons, might mean theres hope after all!

LOL. Thanks so much for the laugh, Tiny. I cannot quit chuckling about your answer. Laughing
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have used some Valmont products that use Bulgarian Rose for their fragrance. I'm sure Bulgarian Rose is beautiful along with its accompanying fragrance but Valmont uses too much of it and their products give me a headache as well. The smell just stays with you all day. I spent about $250. for one of their creams and just abandoned it for this reason. I don't get it why skin care companies feel that their lotions and potions must be heavily fragranced Question
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I actually really enjoy how fragrance-free skin care products smell. I feel like it's more pampering whilst using due to my brain associating fragrance with perfume, not with skin care. If that makes sense. I really dislike feeling like I'm applying perfume to my face! I like the purer sense you get with fragrance-free products. Although I do enjoy things like a rose scent once in a while. But I hate artificial perfumey skin care products!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
jom wrote:
The magic ingredient is supposed to be rose stem cells (2 million of them in each jar of cream).

I'm personally waiting for the Cannabis stem cell product in hopes that it will make the 60-70 hours I work a week more tolerable. Very Happy

There ya go, you don't even have to inhale - you can just rub it on your skin. Laughing
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Hemp Seed Oil - definitely no "high" on that!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:19 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Well, I think that any kind of stem cells is what we will see down the road. The big thing before was apple stem cells. Now it's rose stem cells. Who knows which fruit or flower or even vegetable will become the next wave of stem cells.

The funny thing is it is so not a new concept, many rare orchids are reproduced using what has been called meristem cloning, basically creating many plants from just one cell of the growth tip! Something I read about 30 years ago! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:
In that case they would probably have to load their creams with farnesol to suppress any smell from the ingredients.
Fragrance isn't just added to make you smell nice, often it's to prevent you from smelling bad.

From what I learned in Communications classes and advertising at university "they" add fragrance to skincare to make it seem more luxurious as many people associate very scented things with expensive.

Just like we also learned about how soap does n ot really need to foam a lot to clean and that was one of the marketing points for Ivory back in the day...to convince people you were cleaner if your soap product foamed a lot...and most people still beleive that today!

I actually prefer fragrance free face and body products as a lot of fragrance makes me itchy and I eventually get red spots on my skin...

LOL funny, I associate very scented/perfumed skin care products with cheap crap.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |