Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi Nu Derm - How to measure?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 am      Reply with quote
I am looking for the definitive answer to how to measure 1 gram of Obagi Clear, Blender and tretinoin. I've read quite a few boards with different interpretations:

1) Use the label on the bottle as a guide to how much to use. (the lines where it says 'am/pm' actually measure a gram and 1/2 a gram) 1 gram = 1 inch

2) 1 gram is the distance between the O and the I on the bottle. 1/2 gram is equivalent to the O-B-A on the the bottle. THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT BECAUSE OBA IS 3/5 OF O...I AND NOT 50% OF THIS DISTANCE.

3) 1 gram is from the tip of your INDEX finger to the first fold.

4) PINKY – first joint = ½ gram; second joint = 1 gram

5) From the ZO site: 1 gram is equal to the amount of toothpaste you would put on your toothbrush in thickness and length. Or measure approximately the size of your forefinger (2nd finger) from the tip to the first line. That is the length of 1 gram. The thickness would be the diameter of this area.

I tend to believe #5 because it is taken from the ZO site but that is a huge amount of product if the diameter is your index finger. That is more than just squirting out a line from the bottle to get that width - it is like double the amount and needing two lines.

Does anyone know the correct way to measure Obagi Nu Derm products? Thanks!
Ksbrn65

Thu May 10, 2012 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I was told by obagi rep. That u use your pinky first joint is 1/2 gram.
Ksbrn65

Thu May 10, 2012 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
How do u like the system so far? I have been using it for one week. My face feels raw, red itchy. But I am going to continue. I don't know how I am going to make it for 12 weeks. Especially starting it in the summer.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ksbrn65! I wish there was a definite measurement in mm or inches because my two pinky fingers are different sizes. I want to make sure to use the correct amount of product as I read a lot of posts where people weren't getting results but they were just not using enough. However, I don't want to waste any product either.

I wish they made the packaging in a pump that dosed out exactly 1/2 gram - with their prices they can afford to include such packaging.

I've been on Nu Derm for 1 week as well. I am beet red and peeling on my cheeks, around my mouth and a little on my neck. I was expecting to peel because I was using azelaic acid mixed with 0.1% tretinoin for almost a year for melasma (which works great, by the way) so my dry and sensitive skin is used to harsh treatments.

I was not expecting to be so beet reed though and this is not a pretty sight. I am glad to do it during the summer because at least there is some humidity. I think my face would crack off in scales if it was winter, LOL!

When I smile my cheeks look like accordion wrinkles, worse than my grandma, ugh. Missing my moisturizer (what Dr. Obagi calls tranquilizers), big sigh...

Are you using a Vit C serum?
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 am      Reply with quote
A gram is a measure of weight, a millilitre is a measure of size. Different products will have different densities so there is no definitive size of a gram: think of a pound of feathers versus a pound of lead. If you want accuracy, purchase scales that are accurate to 0.1g, weigh out each cream, transfer that to a small measuring spoon or compare against your pinkie or suchlike. From then on you can guesstimate. You may find decent quality airless pump bottles dispense a specific amount each time, you could transfer your creams to those?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Ksbrn65

Fri May 11, 2012 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel, no I am not using vit c. R u? When can u add it? Guess what yesterday I got a fever blister on the tip of my nose. Can u believe it! My plastic surgeon had to prescribe valtrix. They say if u have a history of them, you can get them from chemical peel or from using obagi. Great, just my luck.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 12, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Ksbrn65 wrote:
denisiel, no I am not using vit c. R u? When can u add it? Guess what yesterday I got a fever blister on the tip of my nose. Can u believe it! My plastic surgeon had to prescribe valtrix. They say if u have a history of them, you can get them from chemical peel or from using obagi. Great, just my luck.

That's too bad about the fever blister! Can you continue Obagi? Let us know what happens.

I use and love Skinceuticals C & E Ferulic. Helps prevent sun damage and is a powerful antioxidant. Apply after Toner on completely dry skin, then let absorb for at least 3 - 5 minutes before applying Clear. Read on Dr. Obagi's site that Vitamin C serums do not interfere with the Nu Derm regime.
HelloHelloHelloPPL

Sun May 13, 2012 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I was going to start a new thread but hey I'll just post on here seeing as I'm using Obagi Nu Derm (N to Oily)

Firstly guys there was a card in mine that measured things out in "peas" as well as grams. Most said either 1 pea or 2 peas and thats what I use. Therefore I have used a little less than using your "pinky".

The information pack says:

CLEAR: 1 to 2 pea-size amounts
EXFODERM/EXFODERM FORTE: 1 to 2 pea-size amounts
BLENDER: 1 pea-size amount

The leaflet for Tretinoin gave a length instead as it comes out a tube and SUNFADER has no amount for it

But this is what I came on here to ask: I am so far on Day 2 of this treatment and have no peeling, flaking, redness and only very minor itchiness.

A dermatologist recommended me this system as my skin really is messed up but I can't be bothered to pay another £200 for their assistance so I'm following the card.

The thing is though I'm a guy so apparently we have thicker skin than ladies. Also I have obviously been shaving for the past 5-10 years as well and I use an acne scrub twice daily which I'm pretty certain would toughen the skin up.

But yeh I'm disappointed Sad Is this normal?? I was really looking forward to a lot of flaking and peeling like alot of threads on this forum have said! And yet so far nothing. Is this still early days or does peeling start from Day 1??
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 13, 2012 4:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Firefox7275 for the idea of measuring on a scale!

HelloHelloHelloPPL - 2 days isn't enough time for your skin to react. Tell us how it's going in a few weeks. The tretinoin and Exfoderm make you peel and if you are using a small amount or a lower strength tretinoin then your reaction will be milder and/or take longer. Interesting the card says a "pea" - is that an official Obagi card or is it from your dermatologist?

I think the shaving and scrubbing means you are well exfoliated on the superficial layer of the skin but tretinoin works deeper.
HelloHelloHelloPPL

Sun May 13, 2012 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel - Thanks very much for your reply.

That's good news then hopefully in a few days I'll start to see some signs then. The tretinoin I'm using is 0.1% so it should come in a matter of days.

Yes the card is official coming in the American version of the Obagi Nu-Derm Normal to Oily box.

There is a six page A5 size booklet and it's all on page 5 and 6 under the heading "Prescription strength ingredients ensure effectiveness for you" and presented as a table.

I would scan it for those who didn't get one in their box/version, but I don't have a scanner with me at the moment!!
HelloHelloHelloPPL

Sun May 20, 2012 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I thought I'd give a little update incase anyone was wishing to try Obagi.

I am now on Day 9.

The first three days I was fine, but suddenly on Day 4 it all started coming at me. My face was bright red, whenever I put the creams on my face would be burning for around 2 hours (honestly it felt like my face was on fire!) and the peeling was awful - I was peeling A LOT!

On top of that I kind of felt like it all just sat on my skin, or was just really tight underneath it... it was like I couldn't pull proper faces.

By about Day 7 some of this had stopped. I am still red (like sunburnt red) but not quite tomato bright red.

The thing I HATED the most though was the burning - as that wasn't visual - and thankfully that's largely gone.

Also I think the peeling has to do with sun damage. I've read that older persons have been peeling for weeks on end and to be honest I can't imagine that for me... it's still present now but it's not really that bad now... I'm someone who has never really 'sunbathed' before and even if I go to Spain or Greece I don't try and get a tan. I also have had a thick fringe for years and there has been absolutely NO peeling there full stop. 80% of the peeling has been below my mouth where there is most sun exposure.

In terms of improvement I don't really see anything! The only difference is I had some sun spots (the brown ones) and they've nearly faded now. My face is red so I don't know if I'm whiter! Scars are still present and I've been getting loads more acne/yellow spots!

I'm so lucky that I have had no commitments recently. On Day 4-7 I certainly could not have gone to work - the burning was simply too much. I haven't got any commitments now for around two more weeks and now I rarely leave the house during the day because of the sun!

Any questions I'd gladly answer.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the update! I'm almost on the third week and the really bad hard scaly face has lessened but still peeling and flaking like crazy. Beet red to the point a stranger stopped me to see if I was about to faint, LOL!

The worst part is the intense dryness - when I smile it, my cheek and eye skin fold up into dozens of fine lines like an accordion.

I think the melasma is breaking up but I also see new brown spots in places where my skin was clear. Read this is normal and that the Obagi system forces melanin to come to the surface. Actually I think it is the tretinoin as I originally didn't have any melasma until using it 1 1/2 years ago. The tretinoin made my skin nice and firm but it brought out so much discoloration that apparently was hiding below the surface. It also dried out my skin and the Obagi has totally excaberbated the dryness as we can't use any moisturizer.

So I'm on Obagi to remove the final patches of pigmentation that azelaic acid and tretinoin couldn't break up. I only hope that Obagi doesn't uncover another problem as I had pretty decent skin before trying tretinoin in the first place.

I will be so happy to not have to use as much moisturizer and to lessen the brown patches - looking forward to see what happens in 15 weeks!
HelloHelloHelloPPL

Mon May 21, 2012 5:52 am      Reply with quote
And thanks for yours as well. But it doesn't bode too well what your saying although I suppose your only five or so days ahead of me! It is starting to get really sunny here which on the plus side at least gives me a decent excuse for being so red!

Can't believe somebody thought you would faint though!

I had a bit of acne and red spots so I want them gone too. It's hard to tell if there is improvement because of the redness.

Oh right I didn't know that about tretinoin.

I've got to say I used moisturiser twice on two separate occasions. :/ Not good I suppose as it isn't anything Obagi but it actually did help a lot in the short term with peeling. I don't peel as much now so won't be needing to use it.

Still yeh fingers crossed! Like I said earlier I hope to see some improvement with redness in 10-12 days!!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |