Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
study Periorbital Changes Assoc With Topical Bimatoprost
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 15, 2012 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
not sure if anyone's posted about this study before- here's the abstract

Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery:
July/August 2008 - Volume 24 - Issue 4 - pp 302-307
doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e31817d81df
Article
Periorbital Changes Associated With Topical Bimatoprost

Filippopoulos, Theodoros M.D.*1; Paula, Jayter S. M.D., Ph.D.†1; Torun, Nurhan M.D.‡; Hatton, Mark P. M.D.§; Pasquale, Louis R. M.D.*; Grosskreutz, Cynthia L. M.D., Ph.D.*
Collapse Box
Abstract

Purpose: To describe periorbital changes induced by chronic topical therapy with daily bimatoprost 0.03% (Lumigan, Allergan Inc., Irvine, CA, U.S.A.).

Methods: A clinical investigation of 5 nonconsecutive patients with unilateral glaucoma treated daily with topical bimatoprost 0.03% for up to 4 years prior to presentation.

Results: In eyes treated with bimatoprost 0.03% the authors noted periorbital fat atrophy, deepening of the upper eyelid sulcus, relative enophthalmos, loss of the lower eyelid fullness, and involution of dermatochalasis compared with the fellow untreated eye. By inspecting old photographs the authors confirmed that these unilateral changes were not present prior to starting bimatoprost. In addition, these changes were partially reversible after discontinuation of the medication, whenever that was possible. In 2 cases imaging studies confirmed the clinical impression that these findings were not related to primary orbital pathology.

Conclusions: Physicians and patients should be aware of the potential of bimatoprost 0.03% to produce periorbital changes.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 am      Reply with quote
lagomorph wrote:
not sure if anyone's posted about this study before- here's the abstract

Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery:
July/August 2008 - Volume 24 - Issue 4 - pp 302-307
doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e31817d81df
Article
Periorbital Changes Associated With Topical Bimatoprost

Filippopoulos, Theodoros M.D.*1; Paula, Jayter S. M.D., Ph.D.†1; Torun, Nurhan M.D.‡; Hatton, Mark P. M.D.§; Pasquale, Louis R. M.D.*; Grosskreutz, Cynthia L. M.D., Ph.D.*
Collapse Box
Abstract

Purpose: To describe periorbital changes induced by chronic topical therapy with daily bimatoprost 0.03% (Lumigan, Allergan Inc., Irvine, CA, U.S.A.).

Methods: A clinical investigation of 5 nonconsecutive patients with unilateral glaucoma treated daily with topical bimatoprost 0.03% for up to 4 years prior to presentation.

Results: In eyes treated with bimatoprost 0.03% the authors noted periorbital fat atrophy, deepening of the upper eyelid sulcus, relative enophthalmos, loss of the lower eyelid fullness, and involution of dermatochalasis compared with the fellow untreated eye. By inspecting old photographs the authors confirmed that these unilateral changes were not present prior to starting bimatoprost. In addition, these changes were partially reversible after discontinuation of the medication, whenever that was possible. In 2 cases imaging studies confirmed the clinical impression that these findings were not related to primary orbital pathology.

Conclusions: Physicians and patients should be aware of the potential of bimatoprost 0.03% to produce periorbital changes.

WOW...that is important information. Thanks for sharing!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 am      Reply with quote
It sure is MG, I thank you too lagomorph!

It makes me glad for my decision not to use these products! I came very close, ordered 2 bottles of Lumigan then read about just irritation and tossed them never even opened the bottles! This is much more concerning than what I have read previously.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 am      Reply with quote
But this is for people with drops placed directly in their eyes for glaucoma, correct?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 7:43 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
But this is for people with drops placed directly in their eyes for glaucoma, correct?

Not sure, but is says topical application?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 8:36 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
bethany wrote:

Not sure, but is says topical application?

The Lumigan instructions are to apply drops into the eyes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Yes, drops in the eye. The drops were placed in only one eye (unilateral glaucoma), then differences between the treated and non-treated eyes were noted. Lumigan is for glaucoma; I think some people are confusing this study with Latisse? It is a very small study (only 5 patients), so it may not hold true for most patients.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Makes me think? I realize they are talking about injections for fat loss, but I have to wonder if continued application on the thin skin of the eye allows some to be absorbed.

The compound Bimatoprost has also been shown to reduce adipose tissue in mammals, commonly known as body fat. Studies are currently underway to test Bimatoprost injections on fatty deposits in the human body. The cosmetic industry may see a future fat reduction treatment that mirrors Botox and filler injections, making weight loss easier for patients. Don’t cancel your gym membership too soon, though. It will take a few years for said treatments to be approved by the FDA. Bimatoprost is currently only used in the U.S. for glaucoma treatment in and eyelash growth in the form of the prescription Lumigan and Latisse®.

As for side effects, Latisse® is one of the safest treatments out there. During clinical trials, the most common side effect after using the solution was itchy or red eyes, which was only reported by about 4% of users. Bimatoprost has passed FDA regulations twice now, for both medical and cosmetic purposes, just like Botox.

http://reflectionscenter.com/blog/more-than-a-set-of-pretty-eyes/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Makes me think? I realize they are talking about injections for fat loss, but I have to wonder if continued application on the thin skin of the eye allows some to be absorbed.

The compound Bimatoprost has also been shown to reduce adipose tissue in mammals, commonly known as body fat. Studies are currently underway to test Bimatoprost injections on fatty deposits in the human body. The cosmetic industry may see a future fat reduction treatment that mirrors Botox and filler injections, making weight loss easier for patients. Don’t cancel your gym membership too soon, though. It will take a few years for said treatments to be approved by the FDA. Bimatoprost is currently only used in the U.S. for glaucoma treatment in and eyelash growth in the form of the prescription Lumigan and Latisse®.

As for side effects, Latisse® is one of the safest treatments out there. During clinical trials, the most common side effect after using the solution was itchy or red eyes, which was only reported by about 4% of users. Bimatoprost has passed FDA regulations twice now, for both medical and cosmetic purposes, just like Botox.

I am personally not worried about it, and will continue to use my lash products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I am personally not worried about it, and will continue to use my lash products.

I can understand if it is working for you without any problems then why not? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I started to use Latisse a few months ago, so far so good. (knock on wood, lol!).

I only apply a very small amount at lash line, if I were using it directly as an eyedrop, I would be more concerned.

I am having great results, no more need for false lashes , lol!! Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Having a hard time thinking 5 patients is statistically significant.

Warrants further investigation perhaps.

5% products discount

Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting this article. The side effect of periorbital fat loss is definitely evident, as pictured in patients in the article Prostaglandin-Associated Periorbitopathy, (Louis R. Pasquale). Another article that may only be accessed by subscription shows Asian patients with the same effects (Latanoprost Therapy After Sunken Eyes Caused by Travoprost or Bimatoprost, Shunsuke Nakakura, Hitoshi Tabuchi, and Yoshiaki Kiuchi). However, before posters start throwing out their bottles of Latisse or Careprost, we should be aware that these studies have only been conducted on patients that were using bimatoprost to treat glaucoma. There is still a difference between applying one drop onto the eyeball, and applying one drop onto the upper eyelid.

If users are worried about this possible side effect, they should actively employ the following tips:

1) Use a thin eyeliner brush to apply the upper eyelashes (e.g. Bare Escentuals Eyeliner Brush, $12). The brushes that are sold for use with Latisse are too thick, and should not be used. The thinner the brush, the better .

2) When applying the product, the brush should just be moistened, not dripping wet. Ideally, it should leave a fine line that dries in seconds. If the product is dripping or stays wet for more than two minutes, you’re using too much and need to decrease the amount.

3) Do not apply the product prior to going to bed. There is a small chance of the liquid migrating down to the crease as you lay down. Not only does it increase the chance of the eyelid turning red, but also it goes directly to the spot where those patients experienced a loss of fat in the eyelid.

4) After six months, the user should consider going into “maintenance mode”, and use the product no more than two or three times a week.

5) Do not apply the product to the lower eyelashes. The liquid does migrate a bit onto the lower lashes as one blinks anyway.

The good news is that once patients stopped using bimatoprost, the results were reversed, as seen in the article by Nakakura et al. The article found that results were reserved when patients stopped using bimatoprost and travoprost and switched to latanoprost. A couple of articles noted that in 2010, it was reported latanoprost also causesd some fat loss. However, photographs in the article by Nakakura et al. show that latanoprost did not affect the eyelids as the patients` conditions improved. The paper also noted the following: “In our hospital database, we found this “sunken” eye complication in two patients of 77 (2.6%) on travoprost and four patients (two other patients under observation) of 86 patients (4.7%) on bimatoprost” (Nakakura et al. 1142). The percentages are small in users.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Foxglove.

When I read it, it says the condition was only partially reversed when they stopped using the product.

If the product is not to be applied while lying down, when? in the AM prior to applying mascara? does that sound right?

BFG
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I use less than one drop twice a week, any more often and I tend to get red eyes. I use a tiny brush and lightly draw it across the eyelid and my eyebrows. I have not noticed any other side effects.
I do appreciate you passing the info along as each person can then determine what the risk is for them. For me, I will continue to use the careprost, but will also continue to excercise caution!

5% products discount

Sat May 19, 2012 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Thank you Foxglove.

When I read it, it says the condition was only partially reversed when they stopped using the product.

According to the Prostaglandin-Associated Periorbitopathy paper, one of the writers, Dr. Stanley J. Burke notes "that [prostaglandin associated periorbitopathy] seems to be reversible. . . its effects subside 1 to 3 months after patients discontinued using PGAs" (26). In the Nakakura et al. article, the authors also stated the results were reversed, and provided photographic evidence. In another paper, titled Deepening of Eyelid Superior Sulcus During Topical Travoprost Treatment, the authors also found that the results reversed after fifteen months. Their case study consisted of two patients. If any Latisse/Careprost users have experienced this issue, there is a strong hope of recovery.

Quote:
If the product is not to be applied while lying down, when? in the AM prior to applying mascara? does that sound right

That sounds right. The idea is to avoid having the product spread upward onto the eyelid. Even if it appears dry, there may be (minor) migration. However, if one is careful in application, or waits a while before going to bed, this should minimize any ugly side effects.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Makes me wonder if glaucoma plays a role in what they are seeing as well? Just curious
goodbyekitty
5% products discount

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I just read this -

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ceo.12163/abstract;jsessionid=BC66C2919D78F1E8033287079C32F8C4.f01t02?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

I think I am going to stop using my eyelash serum Sad
havana8

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, goodbyekitty. Yikes--according to one of the articles below:

The bottom line here is that although this has been very sparsely published, this effect is real, it’s common, and it’s associated with all the drugs in the class, including the generics. It’s now listed in the package inserts. And it can have significant cosmetic and structural effects that we should be aware of, should look for, should document, and should discuss with the patient, just as we would with any side effect of any drug.

What Clinicians Need to Know About Prostaglandin-Associated Periorbitopathy
http://www.aao.org/publications/eyenet/201203/glaucoma.cfm

PAP: New Concerns for Prostaglandin Use
These popular drugs are causing previously unnoticed cosmetic changes that can be problematic for patients—and doctors.
http://www.revophth.com/content/d/glaucoma_management/c/36943/
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
It might be a good thing for people who have fatty eyelids. Save them the cost of surgery, right? Sounds like, since they are putting the drops directly on the eyeball, that when they close their eyes, the liquid is easily absorbed via the INSIDE of the lids, a mucous membrane, which could be the reason.

I've already had upper and lower bleph so this doesn't concern me. I use Careprost or Lumigen every other day. I put one drop in a tiny cup and with a thin brush apply to upper lashes and brows. I still have plenty left of that one drop, enough to do someone elses lashes and brows!

The only side effect is redness on the lids but I also had that before from previous surgeries.
goodbyekitty
5% products discount

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Softskin, yes I think it is good for people with fatty eyelids. I saw a photo yesterday of a lady who had fatty bottom eyelids. The after photo showed it looking better after using the eyedrops.

Unfortunately for me my eyes are deep-set with thin skin Sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |