Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need skin care advice for 21 year old with fine lines! :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mikey90
5% products discount

Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so basically in the last two months I have noticed that I have fine "expression lines" across my forehead, under my right eye, and on the right side of my mouth.
edit: I also have a very deep "furrow" between my eyebrows, like...it's an inch long and very deep...makes me look angry all the time.

I'v had incredible amounts of stress for the last 7 years. I'v lost both of my parents to cancer (ages 45 and 52), and had a bunch of other stressful life events. I also suffer from Body dysmorphic disorder and have been diagnosed.

I know this info is mostly unnessesary but I believe life stress, an unhealthy relationship, and smoking have all started the aging process.

I have oily skin, and am acne prone.

Instead of me obsessing over my skin even further and trying a million different things to fix these fine lines, I was hoping I could get some advice on how to start taking better care of myself.

(also, the BDD is now being addressed by professionals).
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mikey, Wow! you've been through a lot in just 21 years. You sound like a very strong person. I'm so glad you're getting some professional help. First thing I would do is stop smoking. It will help you feel better and prevent you from getting lines and wrinkles. It would also be great if you get some exercise. Even if it is just taking a walk for a half hour each day. Also make sure you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables and lean protein and little to none processed food (food out of a box). Nuts and seeds are great too. Drink lots of water as well.

As far as skincare goes you really just need to be using a good sunscreen at your age. This Devita sunscreen http://www.essentialdayspa.com/devita-solar-protective-m-p_14027.htm is very popular and acts as a moisturizer as well as a sunscreen.

You're still very young and it's great that you're realizing at such a young age that there are things you can do to make your life better. Best Wishes! and Lots of Luck!
mikey90
5% products discount

Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Jom.

I'v recently started wearing clinques spf 25 city block sheer. I'm not sure how good the sunscreen is, but it doesnt make me breakout and I liked it because it was a mineral sunscreen.

Also, I was wondering about skin damage from products like benzoyl peroxide. I'v used benzamycin on my skin for about 7 months and unfortunately think it has prematurely aged my skin because it has ethyl alcohol in it :{ plus I didn't wear sunscreen while using the BP. Which makes me wonder if that's why my forehead has fine lines all over it.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like the products you used are pretty harsh. I would stay away from them. They could have caused the lines on your forehead but sometimes those lines are just caused by heredity. It could be in your genes. If you want to try to do something to diminish them you could try using a product that has retinol in it like this http://www.essentialdayspa.com/advanced-skin-technology-p_12021.htm

The sunscreen you're using looks good.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:
Thanks Jom.

I'v recently started wearing clinques spf 25 city block sheer. I'm not sure how good the sunscreen is, but it doesnt make me breakout and I liked it because it was a mineral sunscreen.

Also, I was wondering about skin damage from products like benzoyl peroxide. I'v used benzamycin on my skin for about 7 months and unfortunately think it has prematurely aged my skin because it has ethyl alcohol in it :{ plus I didn't wear sunscreen while using the BP. Which makes me wonder if that's why my forehead has fine lines all over it.

At the age of 21 your skin will turn over fast! You may have just dehydrated it or temporarily damaged the skin barrier. Be gentle and allow it to repair and I bet those lines go away! Smile

5% products discount

Thu May 17, 2012 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
mikey90 wrote:
Thanks Jom.

At the age of 21 your skin will turn over fast! You may have just dehydrated it or temporarily damaged the skin barrier. Be gentle and allow it to repair and I bet those lines go away! Smile

How long does it take for something like that to repair itself.

My forehead lines are strange because instead of it being like....3-4 lines that usually show up as expression lines...it's like dozens of fine lines....if i gently pull on my skin at my hairline the finelines just go away.

I am only 85-90 pounds so I am wondering if I just simply gained weight then they'd fade away...but generally weight isn't "gained" in the forehead lol.

I regret using the BP on my skin...I know it's probably done some damage but I was just so desperate to get rid of my acne.

Plus, I'm not sure if my cleanser is part of the problem. It's the neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser...because I like that it washes off my makeup at the same time, but maybe it's just damaging my skin.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile At 21 you are highly unlikely to be experiencing premature ageing. Oily skin and acne can be caused by or contributed to by harsh cleansing methods and products. Dehydration can cause fine lines to appear temporarily and encourage the skin to pump out more sebum to protect itself.

Most effective is preventative care and keeping the skin healthy from the inside out. So use a good zinc oxide sunscreen, a gentle cleanser (no sulphate surfactants, no alkaline soaps), don't over exfoliate, carefully select gentle acne fighters. I have known other young users of benzoyl peroxide report very dehydrated skin and 'wrinkles' which slowly disappear once they stop using BP/ rehydrate their skin. Ensure your moisturiser supplies some of the lipids found in a healthy skin barrier - cholesterol, saturated fatty acids (stearic and palmitic acids), ceramides. Consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle: especially oily fish, fruit and veg, sugar, white/ refined carbs. Absolutely quit smoking: this increases stress, causes dehydration and acne, suppresses hunger, increases desire for fatty and sugary junk foods, robs your body of nutrients. If you are not a healthy weight then you are not eating enough food for your body to make healthy skin cells, the body will prioritise essential processes like breathing and your heart beating.

You might also consider making DragoN's KinNiaNag serum, which is gentle but contains actives which are scientifically proven to benefit both acne and ageing and is raved about all over Skincaretalk forums. Not sure where the recipe is posted right at this minute but can find out and post again.

My suggestions are all based on research but you likely need to address it all together to see results. If you do this for two to three months and still have fine lines maybe bring in an anti-ageing product which we can help you choose. But TBH some anti-ageing actives could further irritate or dehydrate your skin at this stage, it's best to get your largest organ (skin) functioning optimally before you add any additional stress. The skin evolved to hold water in and keep bacteria out but modern products and lifestyles can often stop it working effectively.

HTH! Very Happy

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
mikey90 wrote:
Thanks Jom.

How long does it take for something like that to repair itself.

My forehead lines are strange because instead of it being like....3-4 lines that usually show up as expression lines...it's like dozens of fine lines....if i gently pull on my skin at my hairline the finelines just go away.

I am only 85-90 pounds so I am wondering if I just simply gained weight then they'd fade away...but generally weight isn't "gained" in the forehead lol.

I regret using the BP on my skin...I know it's probably done some damage but I was just so desperate to get rid of my acne.

Plus, I'm not sure if my cleanser is part of the problem. It's the neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser...because I like that it washes off my makeup at the same time, but maybe it's just damaging my skin.

Gaining weight would probably help. You might want to try using Cetaphil as a cleanser instead.
mikey90
5% products discount

Thu May 17, 2012 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Welcome! Smile At 21 you are highly unlikely to be experiencing premature ageing. Oily skin and acne can be caused by or contributed to by harsh cleansing methods and products. Dehydration can cause fine lines to appear temporarily and encourage the skin to pump out more sebum to protect itself.

Most effective is preventative care and keeping the skin healthy from the inside out. So use a good zinc oxide sunscreen, a gentle cleanser (no sulphate surfactants, no alkaline soaps), don't over exfoliate, carefully select gentle acne fighters. I have known other young users of benzoyl peroxide report very dehydrated skin and 'wrinkles' which slowly disappear once they stop using BP/ rehydrate their skin. Ensure your moisturiser supplies some of the lipids found in a healthy skin barrier - cholesterol, saturated fatty acids (stearic and palmitic acids), ceramides. Consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle: especially oily fish, fruit and veg, sugar, white/ refined carbs. Absolutely quit smoking: this increases stress, causes dehydration and acne, suppresses hunger, increases desire for fatty and sugary junk foods, robs your body of nutrients. If you are not a healthy weight then you are not eating enough food for your body to make healthy skin cells, the body will prioritise essential processes like breathing and your heart beating.

You might also consider making DragoN's KinNiaNag serum, which is gentle but contains actives which are scientifically proven to benefit both acne and ageing and is raved about all over Skincaretalk forums. Not sure where the recipe is posted right at this minute but can find out and post again.

My suggestions are all based on research but you likely need to address it all together to see results. If you do this for two to three months and still have fine lines maybe bring in an anti-ageing product which we can help you choose. But TBH some anti-ageing actives could further irritate or dehydrate your skin at this stage, it's best to get your largest organ (skin) functioning optimally before you add any additional stress. The skin evolved to hold water in and keep bacteria out but modern products and lifestyles can often stop it working effectively.

HTH! Very Happy

Wow, thank you for so much information =) Normally when I talk to people about skin it's strictly acne related and I haven't heard much talk regarding just the general way the skin works etc.

pretty much my body dysmorphic disorder has revolved around my skin (my acne, I think it's terribly disfiguring when in reality it's only afew pimples)....but yeah, my skins undergone alot of abuse over the last year and a half just because of the different benzoyl peroxide products, tea tree oil, etc.

Unfortunately I just see my skin as "damaged" beyond repair now and part of that is because of the BDD, but also just the stress over my skin. If you think about your skins flaws for 12 hours a day for almost 2 years...eventually it just takes it's toll on you.

and, I'm not sure about the premature aging thing, i'm assuming poor diet choices, being under weight, and constant stress all just contributed to how my skin looks now.

I just want to look like every other 21 year old with healthy, plump skin.

I just wish I didn't sacrafice my skins overall health for afew stupid pimples.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2012 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:

Wow, thank you for so much information =) Normally when I talk to people about skin it's strictly acne related and I haven't heard much talk regarding just the general way the skin works etc.

pretty much my body dysmorphic disorder has revolved around my skin (my acne, I think it's terribly disfiguring when in reality it's only afew pimples)....but yeah, my skins undergone alot of abuse over the last year and a half just because of the different benzoyl peroxide products, tea tree oil, etc.

Unfortunately I just see my skin as "damaged" beyond repair now and part of that is because of the BDD, but also just the stress over my skin. If you think about your skins flaws for 12 hours a day for almost 2 years...eventually it just takes it's toll on you.

and, I'm not sure about the premature aging thing, i'm assuming poor diet choices, being under weight, and constant stress all just contributed to how my skin looks now.

I just want to look like every other 21 year old with healthy, plump skin.

I just wish I didn't sacrafice my skins overall health for afew stupid pimples.

You have recognised your issues and are addressing them which I am sure is hugely important and hugely helpful. Very Happy Every other 21 year old doesn't have healthy plump skin, many have acne or eczema or another skin complaint.

Skin can regenerate and repair itself: it does so after a pimple, a cut, an acid peel, a sunburn, eczema ... People see improvements from quitting smoking or stopping sunbeds at any age. There are acute (short term) effects of lifestyle choices and chronic (long term) effects of lifestyle choices. The short term ones are what you see now, any long term ones are mostly still be locked in your cells at a molecular level (DNA) and should still be very minor. You don't have anything to lose by taking care of your health with good diet, healthy weight, long walks, quitting smoking. IMO too many dermatologists and family doctors busy themselves fighting the symptoms rather than addressing the root cause of a skin complaint. You don't necessarily have to sacrifice your skin's health to resolve the pimples, the skin barrier keeps water in and bacteria out - keep that healthy and you can improve both the acne AND the dehydration lines. Very Happy Does it help you to learn about the skin's structure and function or does that make you more obsessed?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Salana39

Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
So sad to hear all you have been through. The loss of a parent is devastating and I can not imagine loosing both.
You are clearly stressed so quitting smoking would be difficult.
Benzoyl peroxide kills the pimple causing bacteria by introducing oxygen to the clogged pore. It's a effective tool in fighting a pimple but long term use damages skin cells and promotes premature aging.
I lost my Father 1/7/2012 and can tell you I started to see my own skin freak out!
I have battled cystic acne and keratosis pilaris since I was 25.
What works the best for me (I have a few bathroom cabinets completely full of products) are Retin-A 0.05% a must have, Mario Badescu drying lotion (good stuff!) hope in a bottle salicylic acid
oil-free moisturizer and acne treatment by Philosophy, Clarisonic brush, 15% glycolic smoothing solution twice a month, 1000 iu of vitamin C a day (smoking depletes your body of vitamin C) and all the water you can drink. You are young and your skin will bounce back. Also I know it has nothing to do with beauty products but if you like to read or like self help and it seems you do there is a amazing book I have been reading. "So Long Insecurity" by Beth Moore. It has began to change my way of I view myself. I am sure you are beautiful and no reason a few pimples should make you feel bad about yourself. (I have the exact same issues:)
Keep your chin up and take care of you! Best wishes
mikey90
5% products discount

Fri May 18, 2012 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Salana39 wrote:
So sad to hear all you have been through. The loss of a parent is devastating and I can not imagine loosing both.
You are clearly stressed so quitting smoking would be difficult.
Benzoyl peroxide kills the pimple causing bacteria by introducing oxygen to the clogged pore. It's a effective tool in fighting a pimple but long term use damages skin cells and promotes premature aging.
I lost my Father 1/7/2012 and can tell you I started to see my own skin freak out!
I have battled cystic acne and keratosis pilaris since I was 25.
What works the best for me (I have a few bathroom cabinets completely full of products) are Retin-A 0.05% a must have, Mario Badescu drying lotion (good stuff!) hope in a bottle salicylic acid
oil-free moisturizer and acne treatment by Philosophy, Clarisonic brush, 15% glycolic smoothing solution twice a month, 1000 iu of vitamin C a day (smoking depletes your body of vitamin C) and all the water you can drink. You are young and your skin will bounce back. Also I know it has nothing to do with beauty products but if you like to read or like self help and it seems you do there is a amazing book I have been reading. "So Long Insecurity" by Beth Moore. It has began to change my way of I view myself. I am sure you are beautiful and no reason a few pimples should make you feel bad about yourself. (I have the exact same issues:)
Keep your chin up and take care of you! Best wishes

Thank you for all the helpful advice.

I'v recently started taking 1000mg of vitamin c a day so that is good, wish I would have done that for the last 3 yrs of smoking >:{

I'll definately check out the book, I definately need to do alot of self reflection and work on my self esteem.

and is the retina- a micro at .05% the lowest dose? or is that 0.25%?

I have been considering getting retin-a as a preventative measure but I think at the moment my skin is just all over the place.

I am *hoping* my skin truly is just dehydrated and it will eventually be free of these fine lines but they just look so permanent I guess.

I'm sure if I ate alot more fruit and veggies then it'd start to look a little better. My skins just very strange, it's like oily on top but dry under all of the oi after I wash my face.

It never used to be THIS oily. My forehead in particular is very oily, and it constantly has tiny little bumps all over it.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I know this info is mostly unnessesary but I believe life stress, an unhealthy relationship, and smoking have all started the aging process.

stress and smoking are definitely top factors that contribute to pre-mature aging. My husband is turning 33 this year and has smoked for 15 yrs. He is such a handsome man, but his skin has really taken a toll because of smoking. You are only 21 yrs old, you need to quit now. Taking preventative measures is much easier and better than trying to fix a aging problems once the damage is done. Although we can't really help stress, you can do things to elevate stress levels like meditation and yoga. Eating healthy with tons of fruits, veggies, water, vitamins etc. is key.

As for your skin type, you say you are oily yet underneath the surface you are dry. This is a red flag that there is something in your skincare regime that you are doing wrong. Perhaps making an appointment to a good dermatologist would be best so they can advise you on the best treatment for your skin depending on your skin type. For me personally, i find Clyndoxil gel to be the best topical medication for my acne (it cleared up my skin without being too harsh and drying).
Also sunscreen is very important to protect your face from aging. I like Elta sunscreen (they have one for oily skintype).
If you want to start on a Retin-A, begin with the lowest dosage (i would advise seeing a dermatologist before proceeding). When I first started Retin-A (even at .05 dosage), my skin wasn't able to tolerate it. I had major drying, flaking and fine lines were accentuated etc. and didn't even want to leave the house for a month because my skin looked horrible. Since you mention you have body dysmorphic disorder, it may be upsetting to see your skin actually look really bad when you first start on retin-a.

5% products discount

Fri May 18, 2012 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
Quote:

stress and smoking are definitely top factors that contribute to pre-mature aging. My husband is turning 33 this year and has smoked for 15 yrs. He is such a handsome man, but his skin has really taken a toll because of smoking. You are only 21 yrs old, you need to quit now. Taking preventative measures is much easier and better than trying to fix a aging problems once the damage is done. Although we can't really help stress, you can do things to elevate stress levels like meditation and yoga. Eating healthy with tons of fruits, veggies, water, vitamins etc. is key.

As for your skin type, you say you are oily yet underneath the surface you are dry. This is a red flag that there is something in your skincare regime that you are doing wrong. Perhaps making an appointment to a good dermatologist would be best so they can advise you on the best treatment for your skin depending on your skin type. For me personally, i find Clyndoxil gel to be the best topical medication for my acne (it cleared up my skin without being too harsh and drying).
Also sunscreen is very important to protect your face from aging. I like Elta sunscreen (they have one for oily skintype).
If you want to start on a Retin-A, begin with the lowest dosage (i would advise seeing a dermatologist before proceeding). When I first started Retin-A (even at .05 dosage), my skin wasn't able to tolerate it. I had major drying, flaking and fine lines were accentuated etc. and didn't even want to leave the house for a month because my skin looked horrible. Since you mention you have body dysmorphic disorder, it may be upsetting to see your skin actually look really bad when you first start on retin-a.

Yeah, that's part of the reason why i'v used the same cleanser for so long, because I'm scared to try anything else because if my skin gets worse I know i'll feel worse.

I don't think the cleanser is doing me any favors though. I'm just wondering if using this cleanser, if it truly does irritate my skin...if it's done permanent damage now.

It doesn't really leave my skin feeling irritated or dry....I thought it was pretty decent, but my skins overall health is really poor on my face.

I'v considered putting nothing on my face at all, but I know sunscreen is now necessary and, I think my skin is just far to oily now to stop washing it.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
^ what kind of cleanser are you using? I really like the Vivier Hexam cleanser for normal-oily skin type. It is anti-bacterial so is great on acne prone skin. I would highly recommend it.

Quote:

your weight is a little concerning to me and makes me wonder if you are eating healthy. Fueling your body with Food with loads of nutrition such as fruits/veggies/nuts/fish etc. can do wonders for your skin and help repair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2012 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:

Yeah, that's part of the reason why i'v used the same cleanser for so long, because I'm scared to try anything else because if my skin gets worse I know i'll feel worse.

I don't think the cleanser is doing me any favors though. I'm just wondering if using this cleanser, if it truly does irritate my skin...if it's done permanent damage now.

It doesn't really leave my skin feeling irritated or dry....I thought it was pretty decent, but my skins overall health is really poor on my face.

I'v considered putting nothing on my face at all, but I know sunscreen is now necessary and, I think my skin is just far to oily now to stop washing it.

Honey you are stressing yourself out and not reading or not believing what people say. Maybe you would feel better discussing this with your dermatologist or family doctor? As I said earlier "Oily skin and acne can be caused by or contributed to by harsh cleansing methods and products. Dehydration can cause fine lines to appear temporarily and encourage the skin to pump out more sebum to protect itself."

This is true from both my research into how ingredients such as sulphate surfactants affect the skin, from speaking to people on forums and from personal experience. My scalp and face became less oily overnight when I stopped using sulphates - not everyone finds their skin changes immediately, it varies from person to person. Nobody is saying don't wash your face nor are we saying changing your cleanser alone is the solution.

Another cause of excess oiliness is systemic inflammation or hormone imbalances both of which can be caused by or contributed to by an unhealthy lifestyle. Research shows this is not a permanent thing, you can change your skin by changing your lifestyle. If you look at this another way, it would be so much worse if you have a healthy lifestyle and super gentle skincare routine and had poor skin, you wouldn't have anything to change. As it is you have skin you are not happy with and we have identified a number of potential issues in your current skincare and lifestyle. To me that is a positive outcome! Very Happy

jennyarnold

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I would suggest you to always remove all cosmetics from your face before you go to bed to give your skin a breather. When you do wear cosmetics, use products skin care cosmetics that help you skin such as tinted moisturizer makeup.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
mikey90 wrote:
Thanks Jom.

This is exactly what happened to me at the same age! I fully concur with DM's advice.

The BDD is rough- I know, I have it too (5 years now). Believe me when I tell you, stressing about your skin WILL MAKE YOU LOOK WORSE. I know this for a fact. People kept telling me to stop stressing, have fun, 'lighten up', but obviously I couldn't because I felt I looked haggard at 21- 'life wasn't worth living!!' Smile

I'm back on track these days (at 23). The best things I did for my skin are:

- Low G.I diet- cut out sugar, up vegetable and fruits- make blueberries, acai, wheatgrass, kale, olives, green tea and cocoa staples in your diet. There is not a day that goes by that I don't have these.

- Vitamin C serum- I am a firm believer in my C E Ferulic serum (most on the forum love this product). I get mine from Cosmetic Skin Solutions. L ascorbic acid helps to generate collagen, and the addition of vitamin e and ferulic acid not only helps to stabilize the vitamin c but together they provide your skin with 8 x its natural photo-protection. Combine that with sunscreen daily, and you'll be getting top notch protection from UVA rays. I always look fresh and perky when I apply this. Keep it in the fridge as it oxidizes.

- Facial Oils. This is tricky, you have oliy skin so I don't want to break you out. But I have to say, squalane oil and macadamia nut oil have been life savers. My skin glows from this combination. sometimes I add jojoba in the mix to trap more water on the skin (jojoba oil is a wax-ester and sits on top of the skin- like mineral oil- to stop trans-epidermal water loss). I spritz rose water first and apply the oils after. If you want to try all three you might like NOTCH'S Living Lotion (has squalEne, jojoba, and macadmia)- this product was specfically designed to hydrate skin and repair the damaged skin barrier. I switch between this and my own concoction of oils. You can read about the Living Lotion here:

http://shop.neveroverthehill.com/product.sc?productId=11

Go light with the oils- you have oily skin and jojoba is very effective at trapping moisture on the skin- you don't want to break out!

Other recs for this purpose are Nia 24 Intensive Recovery Cream (or the Skin Strengthening cream which is lighter) . Although this stuff is pretty expensive, the Niacin is purportedly shown to be one of the best ingredients in repairing the skin barrier. Just a product you may want to try further down the line. I switch between this and the oils, but I would start out with the oils above first. You may not need the Niacin.

- Sunscreen Most of us at EDS are against using chemical sunscreens for everyday protection. Some studies have shown that whilst mexoryl/tinsorb S are more benign/beneficial sunscreens, the other chemicals they are mixed with (such as avobenzone, octocrylene) are potent free-radical generators. Remember, free radicals are the things we are trying to quell with sunscreen, not cause. Physical sunscreens are your best bet. The Devita sunscreen is a good choice. Me and another EDS user, Pal, use Invisble Zinc Environmental Skin Protector- 18 % micronized zinc oxide.

All of these products have done wonders for my skin, and at 23 I look exactly how I should look: 19! Smile

Good luck, you are definitely in the right place for skin care knowledge. Lets us know how you get on and don't stress too much- you are still very young and the skin will bounce back.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Well it sounds like you're doing all the right things so far by getting help for your BDD and by addressing lifestyle issues that may be a factor.

I would second the Devita sunscreen - it's very good, as well as cutting out cosmetics for now, and I would also suggest reducing your skincare to a very minimal regime.

My brother always had beautiful skin while I struggled with acne - then I discovered that my brother washed his face with water only, and no soaps/cleansers. It sounds crazy, but once I started doing the same, my skin also improved a lot. When I wear makeup, I remove it with a non-detergent cleanser (I love PSF green tea cleansing milk), or just some Bioderma crealine followed by a rinse. I think detergents are really what tend to wreak havoc on skin.

Good luck!
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I should note that by detergents, I mean sulfates. It's very important to use a sulfate-free, pH balanced cleanser if you are going to use a cleanser at all.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |