Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Retinol - DIY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hey,
Does anyone know a good supplier of retinol that I can use in DIY? The companies that I use do not carry it.. Have any of you used in DIY and where did you purchase the retinol?

thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I could only find this one

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Liposomes/Vitamin-A-Microcaps-retinol-p327.html
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I could only find this one

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Liposomes/Vitamin-A-Microcaps-retinol-p327.html

They are a great supplier! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Lotusesther and DarkMoon!
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I buy my PURE retinol from here:

http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-40/Retinol%2C-Vitamin-A-Acetate/Detail.bok

Check the ingredients in the product MakingCosmetics.com offers:

"INCI Name: Aqua (and) glycine soja (glycine soja (soybean) oil (and) retinol (and) cellulose gum (and) acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate cross-polymer (and) chitosan."

EW.
Sad
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:43 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Hey,
Does anyone know a good supplier of retinol that I can use in DIY? The companies that I use do not carry it.. Have any of you used in DIY and where did you purchase the retinol?

thanks!

I've been very happy with my retinyl palmitate purchases from this U.S. company located in Oregon;

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.137815/.f

Keep in fridge. It solidifies in fridge, so rest at room temp a few minutes before formulating with it. I've experimented with many concentrations and find 1% to be my personal best.

Short shelf life (3 to 6 months) in fridge so buy small. 1oz will last a long time. (And yes I've found it remains potent long after 6 months.)

For a 1oz serum/lotion/cream you would only use .3 ml to achieve 1%.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:45 am      Reply with quote
wonderful, thanks for passing that along

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:51 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I buy my PURE retinol from here:

http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-40/Retinol%2C-Vitamin-A-Acetate/Detail.bok

Check the ingredients in the product MakingCosmetics.com offers:

"INCI Name: Aqua (and) glycine soja (glycine soja (soybean) oil (and) retinol (and) cellulose gum (and) acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate cross-polymer (and) chitosan."

EW.
Sad

Retinyl Palmitate must be suspended in an oil base for preservation. There is no such thing as "PURE".

I don't pretend to know how they do it in Taiwan though.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:53 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
wonderful, thanks for passing that along

Anytime erg! Hit me up (PM) if you need any ideas or help with formulating.

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Well for one thing... retinol isnt the same as retinyl palmitate. Wink

This is what Dr Todorov has to say about it:
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/retinol.html

Retinol is soluble in water/absolute alcohol, so no oil is needed - nice for those who dont want to use oils in a serum I think.

And did you know that 99% of the ingredients you use are originally from China? Pays to read the fine print and check your sources. I find some ingredients made in France and Germany, less from Japan. Most originate in China no matter where you buy them from.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
It's my understanding that those who want to use it for rolling Dr. Fernandez recommends RP as the A of choice. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
It's my understanding that those who want to use it for rolling Dr. Fernandez recommends RP as the A of choice. Smile

That is my understanding as well. I plan is to incorporate A and C serums into my routine for a about 6 months before I attempt a deeper roll. I am using a roller now for just product penetration. Ouch! But worth it!

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

Retinol is soluble in water/absolute alcohol, so no oil is needed - nice for those who dont want to use oils in a serum I think.

And did you know that 99% of the ingredients you use are originally from China? Pays to read the fine print and check your sources. I find some ingredients made in France and Germany, less from Japan. Most originate in China no matter where you buy them from.

I don't think Vitamin A Acetate is the exact same thing as retinol, or may be I am wrong? I have been purchasing this from skinactives for years and I believed it's not the same as retinol...
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

Have you purchased Dr T's "DIY Infopack"? Here's what he suggests for making a Vit A & E Cream;

"You can combine vitamin E and vitamin A in one cream. Add the content of one or two 400IU vitamin E softgels and one or two 10,000IU vitamin A softgels per ounce of the base cream"...

Nuff said! Rolling Eyes

Anyhoo, to each their own... Wink

Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie is talking about retinol acetate, Kassy is talking about retinyl palmitate. Two different animals, simple mistake anyone can make.

Daler retinyl acetate and retinol acetate are one and the same
http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=127-47-9

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
When in doubt, check the molecular formula and weight:

Retinol Acetate:
Also known as RETINYL ACETATE, Vitamin A acetate, Retinol, acetate, all-trans-Retinyl acetate, Crystalets, all-trans-Retinol acetate.
Molecular Formula: C22H32O2
Molecular Weight: 328.48828

Retinol palmitate:
Also known as retinyl palmitate, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, all-trans-Retinyl palmitate, Arovit, Retinol hexadecanoate, Aquapalm, Dispatabs Tabs, Vitazyme A
Molecular Formula: C36H60O2
Molecular Weight: 524.8604

Vitamin A (Retinol):
Also known as retinol, all-trans-Retinol, Vitamin A1, Alphalin, Axerophthol, trans-retinol, Oleovitamin A, Alphasterol, Ophthalamin
Molecular Formula: C20H30O
Molecular Weight: 286.4516

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=638034&loc=ec_rcs

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=5280531&loc=ec_rcs

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=445354&loc=ec_rcs

They are all different ingredients.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 6:24 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:

That is my understanding as well. I plan is to incorporate A and C serums into my routine for a about 6 months before I attempt a deeper roll. I am using a roller now for just product penetration. Ouch! But worth it!

Perfect, erg. I am so glad to see someone following Dr. F's recommendation of longer term use of A and C before rolling!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I took a short break from A and C initially while first trialing the AnteAGE (about a week), but added them back thanks to Riley (I really picked her brain!) and Dr. Fernandez prepping for my first roll!

I defiantly want to do it the right way! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 7:03 am      Reply with quote
You are correct Lacy53,

I like this one:
Vitamin A (Retinol):
Also known as retinol, all-trans-Retinol, Vitamin A1, Alphalin, Axerophthol, trans-retinol, Oleovitamin A, Alphasterol, Ophthalamin
Molecular Formula: C20H30O
Molecular Weight: 286.4516

In the pure form as well.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Unless you make an emulsion, the type of Vitamin A you use would depend on whether you are making a oil based serum or water based serum.

BFG
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Can be either or. Depends on the purpose.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the retinyl palmitate in my "kitchen witch" oil based dermal rolling serum.

I use other forms of Vitamin A separately at other times.

BFG
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I've been using the retinyl palmitate in my "kitchen witch" oil based dermal rolling serum.

BFG

RP is Dr F's choice, so it's all good! (That paper you and Beth posted elsewhere, should put your mind at ease.)

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

RP is Dr F's choice, so it's all good! (That paper you and Beth posted elsewhere, should put your mind at ease.)

That is my plan of action, DIY with RP and Tetra C!
Might add some Vitamin D3 that I bought in pure Olive Oil! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:05 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

That is my plan of action, DIY with RP and Tetra C!
Might add some Vitamin D3 that I bought in pure Olive Oil! Smile

D3.. Hadn't thought of that. Great idea. I am thinking the same. Add all of this to Skin Actives Antiox booster and a little virgin palm oil (thanks Kassy).. it will be antioxidants galore!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |