Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is Glycolic Acid Helpful for Acne?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I know that dermatologists usually recommend salicylic acid for acne-prone skin.

However, does glycolic acid also help improve acne-prone skin? Is it beneficial at all for such skin?
holisticwomencare

Mon May 21, 2012 3:35 am      Reply with quote
Hello Friends......

Glycolic acid belongs to a group of chemicals known as the alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) or fruit acids. It is a natural product which is isolated from the sugarcane. Ideally it should not be applied in concentrations that are higher than 10% , otherwise it can prove to be quite damaging for the skin. That's why most products that are available in the market having glycolic acid as an ingredient, contain concentrations between eight to ten percent.

Thanks
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 am      Reply with quote
Yes it can be helpful for acne. Some find it more helpful then BHA.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 5:52 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:

Interesting. Could you please explain?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 8:15 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Are you asking how can AHA help with acne? Since AHA helps with exfoliation, its clear off the dead cells which can clog pores. For some their skin prefers AHA over BHA so you just need to try and see what works best for you.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 9:08 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Are you asking how can AHA help with acne? Since AHA helps with exfoliation, its clear off the dead cells which can clog pores. For some their skin prefers AHA over BHA so you just need to try and see what works best for you.

BHA should theoretically work better for acne-prone skin because it can actually get inside the pore and exfoliate it from the inside out whereas glycolic (AHAs) only exfoliates the very surface (basically only the skin that you can see) of the skin. But if you can exfoliate your skin enough with AHAs without experiencing sensitivity, then it would work by the same principle as retinoids do, which work to thin out the top layer of skin so that the pore is "shorter" to decrease pore clogging. But of course, BHAs can do this as well since they also exfoliate the surface of the skin AND they have anti-inflammatory properties, which is good for acne-inflamed skin.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

BHA should theoretically work better for acne-prone skin because it can actually get inside the pore and exfoliate it from the inside out whereas glycolic (AHAs) only exfoliates the very surface (basically only the skin that you can see) of the skin. But if you can exfoliate your skin enough with AHAs without experiencing sensitivity, then it would work by the same principle as retinoids do, which work to thin out the top layer of skin so that the pore is "shorter" to decrease pore clogging. But of course, BHAs can do this as well since they also exfoliate the surface of the skin AND they have anti-inflammatory properties, which is good for acne-inflamed skin.

Can anyone recommend a good BHA toner/treatment, or even a combination of AHA and BHA together?
I heard I Feel Pretty has good options...
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:23 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
BHA should theoretically work better for acne-prone skin because it can actually get inside the pore and exfoliate it from the inside out whereas glycolic (AHAs) only exfoliates the very surface (basically only the skin that you can see) of the skin.
I know this is true for me and I never understood why 'acne systems' (like proactiv etc) use glycolic. But some just do tolerate AHA's better though. It does have the potential to help.

fitgineer wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good BHA toner/treatment, or even a combination of AHA and BHA together?
IIRC I Feel Pretty products are alcohol based, I'd avoid that if you can. Take a look at Paula's Choice products, she has a variety of BHA's. My favorite is her Clear Acne regular toner. Its the most basic formula which I like because there is less of a chance of reacting to an inactive.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
IIRC I Feel Pretty products are alcohol based, I'd avoid that if you can. Take a look at Paula's Choice products, she has a variety of BHA's. My favorite is her Clear Acne regular toner. Its the most basic formula which I like because there is less of a chance of reacting to an inactive.

Why is an alcohol-based toner bad for you?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:40 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Alcohol is very stripping on your skin!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:42 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Duh! Brick wall
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:44 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Duh! Brick wall

No No,

We all have those moments, I know I have my fair share! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:

Yes! I am one of those people lol. While I think BHA can be great for acne and anti-aging, I never ever get the skin clearing, skin smoothing and even tone effects from a BHA that I get from an AHA.

I use the Paula's Choice Skin Resurfacing System and her 10% "Weekly" treatment is wonderful. It's gentle too, and I use it every night with no irritation and the 5% AHA Lotion during the day.

If you love AHA's its worth checking out.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

I have been pretty dormant around here for a while, but now that I'm posting again expect me to always recommend Paula's Choice lol. I don't work for her, I just really friggin love her stuff! Anyway, she has a massive range of BHA products (some good, some not-so-good for my skin) that might be worth checking out. A lot of drugstore BHA's are poorly formulated, unfortunately.

- Nathan
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Nathan,

How are they poorly formulated? What makes you say that?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Nathan,

How are they poorly formulated? What makes you say that?

PBI - not all AHA/BHA's (high end or drug store) are properly formulated to work effectively. pH is very important.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
This is the one I've been using, because it is oil free, and I've definitely noticed smother skin, and it has helped me get my breakouts under control, too:
http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/product-details.aspx?iid=66

Quote:
Ingredients: Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate, Green Tea Extract, Carrageenan (Sea Kelp Extract), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer

Not sure if it is properly formulated however, and I'm sure EDS members would question some of the ingredients. It is 10% concentration, pH of 4.
I am looking however for an AHA/BHA combo.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
fitgineer,

That looks like a solid product.

Why are you unsure if it's properly formulated?
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
fitgineer,

Simply because I haven't done the research on every ingredient in the product Smile
I figured someone would point out a skin irritant or something along those lines...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
fitgineer,

Simply because I haven't done the research on every ingredient in the product Smile
I figured someone would point out a skin irritant or something along those lines...

LOL. fitgineer someone always does, but you need to find what works for your skin, not everyone has the same positive or negative results/reactions!
Listen to your skin. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
fitgineer wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:
fitgineer,

LOL. fitgineer someone always does, but you need to find what works for your skin, not everyone has the same positive or negative results/reactions!
Listen to your skin. Very Happy

Indeed! However, what if it works for my skin and they've actually done studies that one of the ingredients it cytotoxic? I'd be happy to have that pointed out! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Im one of those people that cannot tolerate BHA so I find Glyolic/AHA much better.
To find a BHA/AHA product is virtually impossible and they are very irritating.
Paulas Choice BHA burned my skin and made it very sensitive...I didnt know at the time it was it so I used it for 2/3 years and every few months I would get red dry 'burned' skin from the BHA.

I use Mario Badescu's Glycolic Toner and Neostrata's Ultra Smoothing Cream every night which is 10% AHA
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Here are two exfoliating toners:

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Exfoliating+Toner+For+Normal+to+Oily+Skin_33925.htm

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Facial+Toner_9623.htm
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Veronica-
The first toner has witch hazel and only 2% AHA with no indication of pH. Probably won't do much exfoliation. The second toner looks interesting but they didn't put the percentage or ph of product Sad
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 am      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:

I have been pretty dormant around here for a while, but now that I'm posting again expect me to always recommend Paula's Choice lol. I don't work for her, I just really friggin love her stuff! Anyway, she has a massive range of BHA products (some good, some not-so-good for my skin) that might be worth checking out. A lot of drugstore BHA's are poorly formulated, unfortunately.

- Nathan

Nathan, I checked out Paula's Choice, but her exfoliants aren't labeled as alcohol free...
Quote:
This product is 100% fragrance- and colorant-free with a pH range of 3.2-3.6 for superior exfoliating properties. Every Paula's Choice BHA product is formulated with additional soothing agents.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/skin-perfecting-one-percent-bha-gel/bha-aha-exfoliants

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |