Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

ZnO sunscreen for very dry & dehydrated skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
apples
5% products discount

Mon May 21, 2012 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi,Smile

Does anyone know an all natural non-nano ZnO sunscreen, suitable for extremely dry skin?

Up until about four years ago I used Weleda Edelweiss SPF 20 & Dr. Hauschka SPF 30 sunscreens with no problems. Sadly these products are discontinued ... So after having finished these sunscreens, I've bought and tried several other sunscreens at my local health food store but they were all extremely drying & flaking despite thoroughly moisturizing and layering my skin with oils each time. The sunscreens either immediately wick all moisture out of my skin, either I end up with flaky, dry skin few hours later. Brands I've tried at my local health store are Lavera, Biosolis and Annemarie Borlind.

In July I'll have to be outside from 9am to 1pm, so my quest for a good non-drying sunscreen starts again (though this time online).

After a few hours of searching, I've my eyes set on:

Marie Veronique Organics moisturizing face screen SPF 30
Badger baby sunscreen SPF 30
Juice Beauty tinted moisturizer SPF 30
DeVita body sunscreen SPF 30
Pratima neem rose face sunscreen SPF 30

Is there any sunscreen listed here that you think would be suitable? Any other sunscreen you'd recommend?

Million thanks! Very Happy
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile You might be best first working out what is making your skin so dry, does your cleanser contain known irritants? Does your diet contain plenty of essential fatty acids, especially DHA and EPA from oily fish? Oils are not moisturisers they are emollient/ occlusive, you need to mix lipids with humectants to hydrate the skin. In addition most plant oils are rich in mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids, whereas the skin barrier is largely comprised of saturated fatty acids (stearic & palmitic), cholesterol and ceramides.

Are you going to be able to reapply your sunscreen during that four hour timeframe? If not you should select a product with a higher factor than 30 and choose a formula with staying power.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
apples
5% products discount

Mon May 21, 2012 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Welcome! Smile You might be best first working out what is making your skin so dry, does your cleanser contain known irritants? Does your diet contain plenty of essential fatty acids, especially DHA and EPA from oily fish? Oils are not moisturisers they are emollient/ occlusive, you need to mix lipids with humectants to hydrate the skin. In addition most plant oils are rich in mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids, whereas the skin barrier is largely comprised of saturated fatty acids (stearic & palmitic), cholesterol and ceramides.

Are you going to be able to reapply your sunscreen during that four hour timeframe? If not you should select a product with a higher factor than 30 and choose a formula with staying power.

Thanks for the welcome!Razz

My skin routine atm is very minimal, and probably insufficient:
* washing face with water, Alep soap or honey
* spritzing face with neroli water
* almond/jojoba/beeswax balm
* in the past it'd be followed by applying Weleda sunscreen and a light dusting of powder to take off shine.

My skin actually started becoming perpetually dry after being on acne and hay fever medications few years back. I'm not taking any meds for 2.5 years but my skin function never returned ... used to have combination skin.

I actually haven't thought of this but we never eat much fish at home anymore. I think I need to reconsider my skin care routine and food intake as well, along with supplements.

Whoa thank you for your invaluable input! Embarassed
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried Elta MD? They're not marketed as natural, but they have a great selection of in-part Zinc Oxide sunscreens.

Also, Paula's Choice makes a super emollient Titanium Dioxde sunscreen that's an SPF of 25. I know you said you wanted Zinc, but Titanium Dioxide might be worth exploring.

- Nathan
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi apples!
In addition to FF's excellent advice about tackling the cause of the dryness ..

Have you tried applying moisturizer on damp skin before the sunscreen ? this might seal in the moisture your skin craves.

I like Pratima very well. Also Osmosis Shelter. Both are quite nice and moisturizing and dont require much moisturizer underneath.

have a great summer!
apples
5% products discount

Tue May 22, 2012 2:07 am      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
Have you tried Elta MD? They're not marketed as natural, but they have a great selection of in-part Zinc Oxide sunscreens.

Also, Paula's Choice makes a super emollient Titanium Dioxde sunscreen that's an SPF of 25. I know you said you wanted Zinc, but Titanium Dioxide might be worth exploring.

- Nathan

Hi Nathan!
Thank you for the recommendation!
Will definitely look deeper into the products, they have chemicals though (my skin is super sensitive), but then again, they contain higher SPF too! This will probably be more suitable during the warm summer as well.
apples
5% products discount

Tue May 22, 2012 2:09 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Hi apples!
In addition to FF's excellent advice about tackling the cause of the dryness ..

Have you tried applying moisturizer on damp skin before the sunscreen ? this might seal in the moisture your skin craves.

I like Pratima very well. Also Osmosis Shelter. Both are quite nice and moisturizing and dont require much moisturizer underneath.

have a great summer!

Hi fawnie!
Thank you for the tip! This morning I applied balm immediately on very damp skin and my skin def feels less dry! Nice.Smile Next I will try a toner and moisturizer with humectants (together with improved diet) to combat dry skin, hopefully it will work! I also like the Osmosis Shelter sunscreen you recommended too, it says "moisturizing" sunscreen so hopefully it won't be too drying.Very Happy
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi apples. Smile Yes fish oil/fatty fish helps dry skin! And the supplement evening primrose oil seems to help a lot as well. As well as making sure you're getting enough fat in your diet, like nuts, olive oil etc. I've got the same problem as you with zinc sunscreens being drying. Have you seen the "Every Lipid Serum" by Skinactives yet? I haven't tried it but it looks like it could fix the problem of drying sunscreens if you wore it underneath the sunscreen! In case you're interested in something like that. Wink
apples
5% products discount

Wed May 23, 2012 1:46 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Hi apples. Smile Yes fish oil/fatty fish helps dry skin! And the supplement evening primrose oil seems to help a lot as well. As well as making sure you're getting enough fat in your diet, like nuts, olive oil etc. I've got the same problem as you with zinc sunscreens being drying. Have you seen the "Every Lipid Serum" by Skinactives yet? I haven't tried it but it looks like it could fix the problem of drying sunscreens if you wore it underneath the sunscreen! In case you're interested in something like that. Wink

Hi egyptiangoddes!Smile
Indeed you're right, I always try to make sure I drink enough water but truth is I ate quite inadequately when entering college too.
Thank you for suggesting this cream! After browsing through so many brands I really don't know what to pick. I'm going to place an order there and then see how it goes, I think it contains ingredients dry skin could use, that site is amazing!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 7:10 am      Reply with quote
apples wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!Razz

My skin routine atm is very minimal, and probably insufficient:
* washing face with water, Alep soap or honey
* spritzing face with neroli water
* almond/jojoba/beeswax balm
* in the past it'd be followed by applying Weleda sunscreen and a light dusting of powder to take off shine.

My skin actually started becoming perpetually dry after being on acne and hay fever medications few years back. I'm not taking any meds for 2.5 years but my skin function never returned ... used to have combination skin.

I actually haven't thought of this but we never eat much fish at home anymore. I think I need to reconsider my skin care routine and food intake as well, along with supplements.

Whoa thank you for your invaluable input! Embarassed

Were you on Accutane?

A skincare routine does not need to be complex, just needs to be tailored to the skin type. Traditional bas soaps are highly alkaline so damage the acidic barrier, IMO switch to a gentler lotion or oil cleanser with emulsifier so it rinses clean. The lipids you mention so not contain those found in the stratus corneum - if you like natural ingredients try a moisturiser containing lanolin, lecithin or West African shea butter.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I just want to add that flaxseed oil is great for dry skin. I prefer the oil to eating the seeds, but actualy both are excellent. The seeds do have a nice nutty flavour.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, when you said lipids did you mean that every lipid serum? It contains lecithin, cholesterol and ceramide. Aren't those what you always say skin needs to have a healthy skin barrier? Confused

leeleedeedee I like flax oil too! Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 7:52 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Firefox, when you said lipids did you mean that every lipid serum? It contains lecithin, cholesterol and ceramide. Aren't those what you always say skin needs to have a healthy skin barrier? Confused

Lipids are fats. The skin barrier is primarily cholesterol, various ceramides and long chain saturated fatty acids (stearic and palmitic). Lecithin is a source of precursors to ceramides, lanolin a source of cholesterol and saturates, shea butter a source of stearic acid.

Every lipid serum contains
"Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein and beta Carotene, Ceramide-3, Phytosterols, Gamma Oryzanol."
Looks nice albeit expensive, should be quite 'light' feeling for an oil. I don't see a source of palmitic or stearic acids so IMO not really every lipid! Not necessarily a problem, which lipid(s) is deficient varies from person to person. Smile

Incidentally flaxseed oil is a good source of short chain omega-3s which are converted to the useable long chain format at a rate as low as 10%. Fine to top up fish body oils (or an algae extract for veggies) but not idea as the sole source of O-3s.

HTH!

egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Firefox Smile

Yes, the conversion rate of ALA to EPA (and DHA) is quite poor, even more so in men. In women I think it can be upwards of around 20% and in men it's closer to around 10%, if I remember correctly. However, ALA itself is very good (and essential) for skin health as well as EPA. (DHA is obviously not as important for skin health.) I take both fish oil AND flax oil. The flax oil makes a marked difference in my rosacea. Of course you can also get ALA from walnuts, flax seeds etc.
apples
5% products discount

Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:

Were you on Accutane?

A skincare routine does not need to be complex, just needs to be tailored to the skin type. Traditional bas soaps are highly alkaline so damage the acidic barrier, IMO switch to a gentler lotion or oil cleanser with emulsifier so it rinses clean. The lipids you mention so not contain those found in the stratus corneum - if you like natural ingredients try a moisturiser containing lanolin, lecithin or West African shea butter.

Hi Firefox!
Yes I was put on Accutane twice when I was in high school but it wasn't effective and I was left with nasty side effects that still aren't completely gone (dry eyes, bone pain & joint problems). The doctor then prescribed me Elisa birth control pill for 6 months and acne disappeared. Most scars have faded safe for 2 dents that are still visible. However my skin now doesn't produce any oil at all.

If it's okay to ask, is there any brand of cleanser or moisturizer that you'd recommend? It doesn't have to be natural. I also saw you recommend Weleda baby face cream, it doesn't contain any Shea butter or lecithin though ... perhaps I could mix the SkinActives' ELS serum with west-African shea butter for the stearic acid, or mix Weleda baby cream with shea and lecithin?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 am      Reply with quote
apples wrote:

Hi Firefox!
Yes I was put on Accutane twice when I was in high school but it wasn't effective and I was left with nasty side effects that still aren't completely gone (dry eyes, bone pain & joint problems). The doctor then prescribed me Elisa birth control pill for 6 months and acne disappeared. Most scars have faded safe for 2 dents that are still visible. However my skin now doesn't produce any oil at all.

If it's okay to ask, is there any brand of cleanser or moisturizer that you'd recommend? It doesn't have to be natural. I also saw you recommend Weleda baby face cream, it doesn't contain any Shea butter or lecithin though ... perhaps I could mix the SkinActives' ELS serum with west-African shea butter for the stearic acid, or mix Weleda baby cream with shea and lecithin?

Just to confuse you further, xerosis (clinically dry skin) can respond well to olive squalane which is a key component of sebum, or boarage oil a source of the omega-6 GLA. Squalane is a key ingredient in the Every Lipid serum or you can purchase the oil cheaply enough.

CeraVe are not natural but both their cleansers and moisturisers contain a balance of ceramides, cholesterol and saturated fatty acids. The Weleda cream contains lanolin which is a source of both cholesterol and saturates so you may not need to add shea butter, plus that will be very difficult to blend in the hand and possibly too thick to spread. I am currently layering a serum containing lecithin as the emulsifier underneath my Weleda/ aloe combination which is working well for me. Or as you say you might try that Every Lipid serum alongside a shea butter product (you could make shea-aloe for example).

IMO only trial one product at a time initially, not expecting miracles but taking notes of any improvements then combining products at a later stage if required. We are all different so you may find you only need one or two of the lipids. For example my skin has responded to lanolin since my teens, and at that age I should not have needed cholesterol (production reduces from peri menopause!). Furthermore I have always had sensitive, combination skin but on quitting sulphate surfactants my T-zone became less oily yet more hydrated. Very Happy

Do also be sure you are feeding your skin from the inside with plenty of long chain omega-3s (ideally 3g per day combined EPA & DHA) and sufficient overall fat in your diet. This may help your joints as well as your skin. Also do not over-wet your skin with lengthy showers, this will leach the skin's natural moisturising factors (humectants).

egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Squalene being a key ingredient in the Every Lipid Serum by Skinactives is one of the reasons I recommended it. (As well as it containing Cholesterol, Ceramide and Lecithin.)

Apples, I too have heard good things about CeraVe. I agree you should only try one thing at a time. Smile So perhaps you could try either a CeraVe moisturizer or that Every Lipid Serum underneath your sunscreen and see how that goes? And if that doesn't work for you, we will try to help you further! Very Happy

I agree fish oil is good for pain, joints and inflammation, but I personally have had health problems supplementing with that high of a dose! Perhaps you'd be best off trying to eat fatty fish like salmon a couple times a week? And try to eat more nuts, seeds, oils, berries and perhaps some green tea if you like those sorts of things. If you're interested in supplementing with fish oil as well, make sure you get your Doctors A-OK first just to be on the safe side! Wink Do keep us updated apples. Smile
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Lipids are fats. The skin barrier is primarily cholesterol, various ceramides and long chain saturated fatty acids (stearic and palmitic). Lecithin is a source of precursors to ceramides, lanolin a source of cholesterol and saturates, shea butter a source of stearic acid.

Every lipid serum contains
"Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein and beta Carotene, Ceramide-3, Phytosterols, Gamma Oryzanol."
Looks nice albeit expensive, should be quite 'light' feeling for an oil. I don't see a source of palmitic or stearic acids so IMO not really every lipid! Not necessarily a problem, which lipid(s) is deficient varies from person to person. Smile

Incidentally flaxseed oil is a good source of short chain omega-3s which are converted to the useable long chain format at a rate as low as 10%. Fine to top up fish body oils (or an algae extract for veggies) but not idea as the sole source of O-3s.

HTH!

That serum sounds great- squalane, rosehip and pomegranate oil! On my list.
apples
5% products discount

Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I just want to add that flaxseed oil is great for dry skin. I prefer the oil to eating the seeds, but actualy both are excellent. The seeds do have a nice nutty flavour.

Hi leeleedeedee!
Flaxseed oil: noted! Apparantly, they are high in omega 3 & omega 6 fatty acids, I'm lipid deprived.Very Happy
apples
5% products discount

Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my and all this time I thought I was actually being gentle to my skin!

Now I know why my dry skin doesn't absorb any oils at all, I was using the wrong cleanser & oils all along ... and this must also be the reason why despite drinking enough water & eating veggies/fruits, my skin doesn't hold any moisture at all ... also guilty of indulging in long warm showers as well.Embarassed Will definitely improve skincare routine, diet and make sure I eat enough fatty fish, nuts and oils, not just for skin but hopefully for overall health too!

Will visit the health food store this weekend and I'll look whether they have cleansers & moisturizers similar to CeraVe, Weleda baby or ELS serum (elements of ceramine, lecithin, squalane, lanolin & Shea). It'd save me shipping and tax as I found out they can run up quite high over here, if not I'll shop online anyways, don't care.Cool

Thank you so much Firefox & egyptiangoddess for your in depth replies! It really opened my eyes and helped me understand my skin (and overall health) condition! Will keep updated!Very Happy

Lol and here I was thinking I'll just find a good sunscreen.Laughing
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oh sorry apples! We went off topic didn't we! You're still looking for a sunscreen! Ok, let's summarize. The only natural sunscreens recommended thus far, including one off your list were Pratima and Osmosis shelter. (I think Osmosis is natural?) Those were recommended by fawnie.

So can anyone recommend the sunscreens on apples list, for dry skin? Or any other ideas for a natural non-nano zinc sunscreen for extremely dry skin?

I have this same problem so I'm interested in any recommendations too! Very Happy

apples wrote:
Hi,Smile

Does anyone know an all natural non-nano ZnO sunscreen, suitable for extremely dry skin?

Up until about four years ago I used Weleda Edelweiss SPF 20 & Dr. Hauschka SPF 30 sunscreens with no problems. Sadly these products are discontinued ... So after having finished these sunscreens, I've bought and tried several other sunscreens at my local health food store but they were all extremely drying & flaking despite thoroughly moisturizing and layering my skin with oils each time. The sunscreens either immediately wick all moisture out of my skin, either I end up with flaky, dry skin few hours later. Brands I've tried at my local health store are Lavera, Biosolis and Annemarie Borlind.

In July I'll have to be outside from 9am to 1pm, so my quest for a good non-drying sunscreen starts again (though this time online).

After a few hours of searching, I've my eyes set on:

Marie Veronique Organics moisturizing face screen SPF 30
Badger baby sunscreen SPF 30
Juice Beauty tinted moisturizer SPF 30
DeVita body sunscreen SPF 30
Pratima neem rose face sunscreen SPF 30

Is there any sunscreen listed here that you think would be suitable? Any other sunscreen you'd recommend?

Million thanks! Very Happy
apples
5% products discount

Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Oh no no I actually meant it in a good way that we went off topic, pardon my english.Laughing.
Of course it'd be great to keep the recommendations coming too! Love to discover new brands!Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |