Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Help finding a sunscreen for ridiculously sensitive skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
raissa
5% products discount

Mon May 21, 2012 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I can't tolerate cyclopentasiloxane, high amounts of dimethicone, or common clogging ingredients such as ehthylhexyl palmitate and some coconut derivatives (cetyl alcohol, capric/caprylic triglycerides). I haven't been able to tolerate avobenzone in US formulas, but haven't tried it in others.

My skin does tolerate zinc oxide, octinoxate, uvinal a, and cyclomethicone. Not sure about the tinosorbs or meroxyl.

For the last year I've been using Epicuren Zinc under a powder sunscreen, but have been getting some color and the recent study regarding the potential dangers of zinc oxide has me worried about the nano-particles. I was considering switching to Pratima Rose, but apparently micronized zinc may also be problematic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've scoured US, European, and Japanese sunscreen ingredients lists and am still finding few options. TIA!
Marjorie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried Avène products ? They are made for extremely sensitive skin (my sister used them after getting skin laser treatment) and they have a range of sun protection products.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Have you thought about making your own? You might do so completely from scratch, or use a base lotion plus micronised (not nano) zinc oxide plus an oil of your choice. There are recipes over on Skincaretalk forums, maybe some here too.

Second thought is to suspect something in your diet, lifestyle or skincare routine other than the products you think are to be the sulprit. With the benefit of hindsight I realise many times over-exfoliation and/ or using cleansers based on sulphate surfactants were sensitising my skin to products I applied thereafter. A low glycaemic index, anti inflammatory diet can also strengthen the skin's barrier function and reduce allergies or other adverse reactions.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
raissa
5% products discount

Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, sorry for the delay of this reply.

I do love some Avene products, but all their sunscreens contain silicones/coconut derivatives that are problematic for me, unfortunately.

I have not thought of making my own sunscreen, as I'm not inclined towards diy (working mother of a toddler), but I may get desperate enough to consider it! I actually do have allergies/immune issues that I'm sure are contributing to my skin sensitivity, and am already on an anti-inflammatory, low glycemic, etc., diet.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
What did you mean by micronised zinc being a problem - for your skin or you hare concerned about safety? You are aware micronised zinc and nano zinc are separate ingredients. If you rule out micronised zinc you will likely have to get a physical sunscreen with a white cast or a low SPF. Otherwise chemical agents, which have to be applied to bare skin, almost always come with silicones, can break down releasing free radicals, and many are known irritants.

I don't mean to be critical because I empathise (atopic eczema/ contact dermatitis here!), but I think you are making too many restrictions to actually find a product that works. Here in the UK we don't have a culture of sunscreen so have fewer products available than you do in the US, and I've heard other Europeans make the same complaint. The Australian market might be worth exploring tho?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I think Pratima is what you want to try then. It has the fewest ingredients of any sunscreen Ive ever seen. It has zero silicones and no extraneous chemicals.

Ive asked Pratima several times if this is the entire ingred list and they have always told me that it is:

Pratima Neem Vetiver Sunscreen:
IONIZED WATER, NON-NANO MICRONIZED ZINC OXIDE 18.6%, ORGANIC EXTRACTS OF NEEM, LICORICE, IMPERATA CYLINDRICA EXTRACT, VITAMIN E, LECITHIN, ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL OF VETIVER, XANTHAN GUM.
http://www.pratimaskincare.com/neem-vetiver-body-sunscreen

At the winter holidays they offer free shipping too. You can ask for samples of their other products and they will send them with your order.
raissa
5% products discount

Tue May 29, 2012 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Firefox, I realize mine is a tall/perhaps impossible order. I've sampled dozens of sunscreens in the last year. If Epicuren is the best I can do, I'll stick with it and be grateful, but I'm turning 35 and worrying more about UVA protection than I used to. I've researched Japanese and European sunscreens quite thoroughly, and tested a few. Thanks for the suggestion of also looking at the Australian market.

Some posts I read here suggested that uncoated micronized zinc *might* be as (potentially) problematic as nano, but since I'm silicone sensitive, I guess I'll just have to roll the dice.

Thanks, Fawnie, for the info about Pratima. I've decided to give it a go.

Super sensitive, super clog-prone. Love Fresh Soy Cleanser, Topix Replenix CF Serum, La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide, Avene Eluage Creme for eyes, Japanese makeup. Still searching for my HG sunscreen.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |