Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Review: The Concise Guide to Dermal Needling
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Medical Edition, author: Lance Setterfield, MD.

Purchased on Amazon.com for about $65

Dr. Setterfield has a dermatology practice in Canada. He uses needling in his practice and has found that his patients have achieved results surpassing those provided by several types of lasers.

This book is the most helpful source I have ever found on the subject of dermal rolling/needling and the very best part is having all the information in one place. No more hours spent sifting through other,less detailed, sources.

Additionally, the book was issued in 2010 and updates much of the previous data we had uncovered about needling.

Dr. Setterfield studied under Dr. Fernandes and incorporates the methods first developed by Dr. Fernandes, but provides additional updates.

His book is divided into the following sections:

Skin Rejuvenation
Cell Function
Wound Healing
Dermal Needling
Treatment Parameters and Protocols
Case Studies
Overview of Modalities
Advantages and Disadvantages

Dr. Setterfield has answered nearly every (if not every) question I've ever had about needling and this is invaluable to me.
I will keep this nearby for further reference.

He delves into a deep discussion as how and why dermal needlig is superior to other dermatological procedures and treatments.

I am not aware of anyone who has refuted any of the information provided in the book, but would always be curious to hear about that.

I highly recommend this book.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to add something for newer posters.

I am not in any way, shape or form affiliated with needling or Dr. Setterfield and have no other interests in it except as a skincare consumer.

Thanks, BFG
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for mentioning this, BFG! I'll certainly get the book.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Hey barefoot girl
Take a look at the needling lengths thread , I did a snap shot review of the above book.

Would be interested to see if your feelings are the same!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Just read all your post!!
I agree I think he just about answers all needling questions I think its a great book too Laughing Exclamation Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 6:56 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Just read all your post!!
I agree I think he just about answers all needling questions I think its a great book too Laughing Exclamation Very Happy

I haven't needled YET but I am thrilled with my purchase of the book! Thanks for both your reviews!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Do you mind linking me to it? ...for some reason, I could not find it.

Thanks, BFG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Do you mind linking me to it? ...for some reason, I could not find it.

Thanks, BFG

If you want Sylvia's review it is on here, the thread you started. Smile

Rolling - Needle Lengths
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45600&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=50

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 am      Reply with quote
oh! sorry, thanks! Cool
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
oh! sorry, thanks! Cool

No problem BFG! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, Barefootgirl. Very Happy Is the book based more on his experiences in clinical practice, or is it more of a textbook reviewing the theory and the evidence base?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany posted this link in the other thread Firefox.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Concise-Guide-Dermal-Needling/dp/0473173212

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

This book is the most helpful source I have ever found on the subject of dermal rolling/needling and the very best part is having all the information in one place.

BFG, and anyone else who has this book, what have you learned from it that you did not know before reading it?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I ordered it...I'll share if there is anything that isn't reflected in all of Dr. F's articles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Bethany!
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,
would love to hear your thoughts on the book.
You are one of my "Derma Heros" if I hadnt seen your posts and references and sucesses on the long dremarolling thread, I really dont think I would have had the confidence to go ahead and do this
Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Bethany,
would love to hear your thoughts on the book.
You are one of my "Derma Heros" if I hadnt seen your posts and references and sucesses on the long dremarolling thread, I really dont think I would have had the confidence to go ahead and do this
Exclamation

If you read my posts from years ago, you must have really done your research. Good for you!!!!

I'll let you know what I see that is different from the professional protocol that I have read from Dr. F.

I am personally not a fan of making up crazy routines/overdoing it and rolling weird stuff into your skin...I prefer to stick to the rolling/product protocols designed by the medical experts who have a LOT of experience, and I think that is why I had such great results last time.

The fact that this doctor trained under Dr. F and has many years of experience is the only reason I was willing to spend the $65 for the book. (many thanks to BFG for pointing it out)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
- I learned more about the science behind it and in more depth than the articles

- I learned new information on needle lengths

- I learned more about the wound healing process

- I gained specific info about cleaning the rollers and the overall protocol.

- I learned more information about active ingredients.

Do I think anyone needs this book to get anything they can't get from a myriad of other sources? probably not - but if you want it all in one place, this is the book.

He writes from his studies, his clinical practice and his research. It is not a *great* book, it is a good book that pulls it all together, rather than what we have now - which is a bunch of disjointed articles.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention two important things.

I learned that short needled rollers aren't just for product penetration, they also assist in the rejuvenation process - see details in the other thread on the DIY page if interested.

I also learned about the importance of keratinocytes over fibroblasts - he mentions this time and again throughout the book.

BFG
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
BFG,
I have also ordered the book. Thank you for posting the link in another thread. Have tons of research as well and then some.

Quote:
I also learned about the importance of keratinocytes over fibroblasts - he mentions this time and again throughout the book.

I cannot agree with that kind of a statement, not one aspect is more important than another in any living system. It must be balanced for optimal health/ efficiency.

There are few absolutes. But that balance must be maintained seems to be one of them. And that balance is different for each individual based on a plethora of other parameters both external and internal to their environment. Genetic etc.

Quote:
Do I think anyone needs this book to get anything they can't get from a myriad of other sources? probably not - but if you want it all in one place, this is the book.

He writes from his studies, his clinical practice and his research. It is not a *great* book, it is a good book that pulls it all together, rather than what we have now - which is a bunch of disjointed articles.

Then it should make for a good read.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 3:47 am      Reply with quote
Let me rephrase, I don't think he is saying that keratinocytes are more important than fibroblasts in as much as he saying that they haven't been given their due while all the attention has gone to fibroblasts.

Except for the info about short needled rollers and some of his suggestions for actives, I have not learned anything that is outstandingly new, but this book does one very important thing for me. It puts everything in one place and I can keep it in my little hands for future reference.

My frustration with dermal needling up to this point has been the dearth of consolidated information. All we have is stuff from here or there, some research based, some just thinly veiled commercial advertising. Dr. F's white papers have been the best, but some are outdated or very general in nature.

Of course, this book is similar to many of the papers in that it is written from the perspective of practitioner to practioner, so we here should keep that in mind. In that sense, the book still has me scrambling to go look up some of the references he uses.

I plan to read it a second time for further comprehension Laughing

BFG
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
BFG, would you please comment further on the needle length information in the book? I do know Dr. Fernandes mentioned that using a 1.00 needle a number of times will have the same cumulative results as the 3.00 (medical/surgical) needle. Does this book suggest even smaller size needles for real skin remodeling? Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
BFG, would you please comment further on the needle length information in the book? I do know Dr. Fernandes mentioned that using a 1.00 needle a number of times will have the same cumulative results as the 3.00 (medical/surgical) needle. Does this book suggest even smaller size needles for real skin remodeling? Thanks!

I know I posted it someplace but can not seem to find it now.

0.2 and 0.3 are considered cosmetic and safe for the patient to use at home.

0.5 to 3.0 are considered medical and should be preformed by appropriately trained cosmetic nurses, technicians and doctors.

That is according to the book, Dr. Setterfield.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, BFG. I appreciate the review!
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
EthelM wrote:

I know I posted it someplace but can not seem to find it now.

0.2 and 0.3 are considered cosmetic and safe for the patient to use at home.

0.5 to 3.0 are considered medical and should be preformed by appropriately trained cosmetic nurses, technicians and doctors.

That is according to the book, Dr. Setterfield.

Thanks DarkMoon!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |