Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Read what Paula Begoun has to say about Dermarollers!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Q: How does a derma roller work (and does it really work?) Should you consider using one to upgrade your anti-aging skin care routine?

A: A dermal roller is device of which has, no surprise, a roller. The interesting element is that the roller is outfitted with dozens of what is often labeled “surgical-grade needles.” It actually looks like archaic and painful, kind of like torture devices from the Dark Ages. Rolling this device over your face as directed (usually three times per week) with a light pressure is said to literally create small holes in skin to allow ingredients to penetrate better. The other popular claim is that the wounding of skin and subsequent healing process is akin to dermatologic treatments of which use the same concept (think laser treatments.)

Does it work? Would a dermal roller replace or create results similar to laser treatments or boost your products benefits by allowing ingredients to penetrate deeper?

In a word, no, there is no research proving that dermal rollers produce results better than lasers or what’s possible from using a well-formulated skin-care routine (so no need to put tiny holes in your face.) The whole notion of skin-care ingredients needing to penetrate better is one of the most overblown claims we’ve seen lately.

With anti-aging products, gaining the benefit of your toners, moisturizers or serums is not about maximum penetration—because most ingredients like antioxidants, cell-communicating and skin-identical ingredients need to stay on the skin’s surface and within its uppermost layers to provide any benefit at all (including defense against free-radical damage.)

Moreover, it’s easy to overdo it with these devices, and that can create pathways in skin that allow ingredients (like sunscreen actives) to penetrate further than intended, potentially leading to a sensitized reaction.

Bottom line: dermal rollers are mostly about creating the next skin care industry gimmick, and they do truly hurt when used as directed! With the allure of “more = better” in terms of anti-aging, it’s too easy to overdo these types of tools and create real problems for your skin. This is one anti-aging skin care fad you can skip!

Well, well, well ... Confused
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
wow - has she seen some of the before and afters?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
I don't read that as dismissing dermarollers as such I read that as dismissing misuse of rollers ('injecting' the wrong products or actives into the skin) and dismissing the exaggerated claims of some advertisers. Everyone here knows a single microneedling session is not akin to a laser treatment, results take time and patience.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
The research belies her statements...maybe someone should send her the clinical trails..

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
wow - has she seen some of the before and afters?

LOL. erg, I think we have learned that some of her advice/opinions are sound, and others must be taken with a huge grain of salt! Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Boy does she need to read that book that barefoot girl recommended "The Conscise guide to Derma needling"

And I have to say that nowhere in any of the sensible guidelines does anyone say more is better they all say less is more Exclamation

I do wish she would just stop pontificating when she obviously has done no real research as Dragon says all decent research papers do not agree with her.

Oh well off my soap box

Off to poke small holes in my face to put on actives
Laughing Cool Rolling Eyes Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:12 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
The research belies her statements...maybe someone should send her the clinical trails..

Could you list them here please?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
I don't read that as dismissing dermarollers as such I read that as dismissing misuse of rollers ('injecting' the wrong products or actives into the skin) and dismissing the exaggerated claims of some advertisers. Everyone here knows a single microneedling session is not akin to a laser treatment, results take time and patience.

She clearly says that this is one fad one can skip because not only it is no better than a laser but also it is not better than a good skincare routine. Why would anyone cause so much discomfort to oneself if the results will be akin to a good skincare regime? Sounds like she totally dismisses it!
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:26 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

She clearly says that this is one fad one can skip because not only it is no better than a laser but also it is not better than a good skincare routine. Why would anyone cause so much discomfort to oneself if the results will be akin to a good skincare regime? Sounds like she totally dismisses it!

that is how I read it as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

IMO the justification is more telling than the headline statements. I agree with her justification, but I also believe that microneedling is highly effective if you are willing to stick with it over the long term and are careful about which products you apply. This article is written for 'every woman', not for the SCT/ EDS hardcore who thoroughly research their actives and are willing to DIY products. For 'every woman' who doesn't do that I actually agree they have no business microneedling. Nor should they be believing the adverts claiming amazing results from a single session.

"there is no research proving that dermal rollers produce results better than lasers or what’s possible from using a well-formulated skin-care routine (so no need to put tiny holes in your face.) The whole notion of skin-care ingredients needing to penetrate better is one of the most overblown claims we’ve seen lately ... Moreover, it’s easy to overdo it with these devices, and that can create pathways in skin that allow ingredients (like sunscreen actives) to penetrate further than intended, potentially leading to a sensitized reaction."[i]

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Firefox

I guess you have a very good and valid argument I think I am assuming that everyone who reads her articles are like us here, and that just may not be the case.

So for the uninformed perhaps it is one step too far,with no personal research done.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275, yes, I see your point. She writes this article for a normal woman, not a skincare nerd!

Firefox7275 wrote:

IMO the justification is more telling than the headline statements. I agree with her justification, but I also believe that microneedling is highly effective if you are willing to stick with it over the long term and are careful about which products you apply. This article is written for 'every woman', not for the SCT/ EDS hardcore who thoroughly research their actives and are willing to DIY products. For 'every woman' who doesn't do that I actually agree they have no business microneedling. Nor should they be believing the adverts claiming amazing results from a single session.

"there is no research proving that dermal rollers produce results better than lasers or what’s possible from using a well-formulated skin-care routine (so no need to put tiny holes in your face.) The whole notion of skin-care ingredients needing to penetrate better is one of the most overblown claims we’ve seen lately ... Moreover, it’s easy to overdo it with these devices, and that can create pathways in skin that allow ingredients (like sunscreen actives) to penetrate further than intended, potentially leading to a sensitized reaction."[i]
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Oasisjc

http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Abstract/2008/04000/Percutaneous_Collagen_Induction_Therapy__An.46.aspx

Percutaneous Collagen Induction Therapy: An Alternative Treatment for Scars, Wrinkles, and Skin Laxity
Abstract
Background: Skin laxity, rhytides, and photoaging are generally treated by ablative procedures that injure or destroy the epidermis and its basement membrane, at least in the beginning, and subsequently lead to fibrosis of the papillary dermis. The ideal treatment would be to preserve the epidermis and promote normal collagen and elastin formation in the dermis. Percutaneous collagen induction takes us closer to this ideal.

Methods: The authors performed a retrospective analysis of 480 patients in South Africa and Germany with fine wrinkles, lax skin, scarring, and stretch marks treated with percutaneous collagen induction using the Medical Roll-CIT to produce tighter, smoother skin. Most patients had only one treatment, but some have had as many as four treatments. Patients were prepared with topical vitamin A and C cosmetic creams for a minimum of 4 weeks preoperatively.
Results: On average, patients in Germany rated their improvement between 60 and 80 percent better than before the treatment. Histologic examination was carried out in 20 patients and showed a considerable increase in collagen and elastin deposition at 6 months postoperatively. The epidermis demonstrated 40 percent thickening of stratum spinosum and normal rete ridges at 1 year postoperatively.
Conclusions: Percutaneous collagen induction was started in 1997 and has proved to be a simple and fast method for safely treating wrinkles and scars. As opposed to ablative laser treatments, the epidermis remains intact and is not damaged. For this reason, the procedure can be repeated safely and is also suited to regions where laser treatments and deep peels cannot be performed.

Greater Collagen Deposition with the Microneedle Therapy System Than with Intense Pulsed Light
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.01882.x/full

Title: Micro Needling and Injecting Platelet Rich Plasma to Enhance Collagen Synthesis and Skin Tightening.
http://www.hairphil.com/downloads/prp.pdf[/url]

Percutaneous Collagen Induction: Minimally Invasive Skin Rejuvenation without Risk of Hyperpigmentation—Fact or Fiction?
http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Abstract/2008/11000/Percutaneous_Collagen_Induction__Minimally.29.aspx

Quote:
In a word, no, there is no research proving that dermal rollers produce results better than lasers or what’s possible from using a well-formulated skin-care routine (so no need to put tiny holes in your face.) The whole notion of skin-care ingredients needing to penetrate better is one of the most overblown claims we’ve seen lately.

Spare me the sort of senseless crap. Same for the 'white tea extract' post roll.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Paula B is not a credible source for skincare information.

Cosmetics? possibly.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:

This article is written for 'every woman', not for the SCT/ EDS hardcore who thoroughly research their actives and are willing to DIY products. For 'every woman' who doesn't do that I actually agree they have no business microneedling.

I personally don't think DIY is necessary for microneedling. However, I did make sure to utilize professional, high quality products containing the actives recommended by the pros for pre and post roll, and had great success.

I am now prepping for my next roll with Environ products, and feel very confident that they will perform just as well (or better) than DIY created by most people. (SCT experts excluded, of course)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,

Would you mind letting us know which Environ products you plan to use and how you plan to use them in your rolling protocol?

FF,

I think cosmetic needling is intended for the average person and shouldn't be discouraged by so called professionals like Paula B...
Medical needling? another issue entirely.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Bethany,

Would you mind letting us know which Environ products you plan to use and how you plan to use them in your rolling protocol?

BFG

I am following the protocol in one of Dr. F's articles:

bethany wrote:

I just checked a couple of places...older literature showed him recommending the EssentiA oil before and after rolling.

Updated literature shows him recommending C-Quence gel and cream for a minimum of 3 weeks before the roll, and the EssentiA oil (which is the body oil on the Touch of Skin site) after the roll.

http://www.dermaconcepts.com/documents/0000/0103/Articles_-_Environ_-_Micro_Needling.pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
From the article I linked to above...

Quote:
Research being done at Hanover University in Germany has shown that simple application of Environ® creams caused an up-regulation of growth factors in the skin in a similar pattern to needling. I like to keep patients
on Environ® for at least one to three months before doing the needling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I personally don't think DIY is necessary for microneedling. However, I did make sure to utilize professional, high quality products containing the actives recommended by the pros for pre and post roll, and had great success.

I am now prepping for my next roll with Environ products, and feel very confident that they will perform just as well (or better) than DIY created by most people. (SCT experts excluded, of course)

You have misinterpreted what I said. The DIY comment was in respect of what we are not rolling into your skin with DIY than what actives we are rolling in. As someone with eczematous skin Paula's comment on "sensitized reactions" hits home for me! Confused Not a comment on Environ as I am not familiar with their range ... It seems to me the vast majority of commercial products contain nasty preservatives/ colours/ emulsifiers/ fragrances/ man made oils OR a list of exotic plant extracts/ 'natural' allergens as long as your arm. Sad I have cringed at the ingredients lists of some products I have read of needled into their skin - thankfully the EDS hardcore are ingredients readers so I don't have to cringe too often.

egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 3:07 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
bethany wrote:

You have misinterpreted what I said. The DIY comment was in respect of what we are not rolling into your skin with DIY than what actives we are rolling in. As someone with eczematous skin Paula's comment on "sensitized reactions" hits home for me! Confused Not a comment on Environ as I am not familiar with their range ... It seems to me the vast majority of commercial products contain nasty preservatives/ colours/ emulsifiers/ fragrances/ man made oils OR a list of exotic plant extracts/ 'natural' allergens as long as your arm. Sad I have cringed at the ingredients lists of some products I have read of needled into their skin - thankfully the EDS hardcore are ingredients readers so I don't have to cringe too often.

My thoughts exactly Firefox. Confused
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 3:54 am      Reply with quote
So far, I haven't deep needled anything into my skin that I wouldn't also swallow via my mouth.

Of course that might change after a re-read of the Setterfield book.

BFG
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 6:58 am      Reply with quote
While I like using Paula for cosmetic reviews, I don't always agree with her. I use some of her products and don't like others.
It seems she is addressing "product penetration" with regard to the dermarollers. There is too much anectdotal evidence to discount the dermaroller. I guess she doesn't want to advocate it and have novices rolling their faces because "Paula said so".
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
bethany wrote:

I agree completely with the bolded part. However I stopped reading the EDS dermarolling thread years ago when I saw some of the crazy DIY stuff people were rolling into their skin, lol. But that obviously does not apply to everyone, thank goodness.

And I definitely agree that all purchased products should not be rolled in either...some things just aren't meant to fully breach the skin barrier!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree completely with the bolded part. However I stopped reading the EDS dermarolling thread years ago when I saw some of the crazy DIY stuff people were rolling into their skin, lol. But that obviously does not apply to everyone, thank goodness.

And I definitely agree that all purchased products should not be rolled in either...some things just aren't meant to fully breach the skin barrier!

Agreed.

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Firefox7275, yes, I see your point. She writes this article for a normal woman, not a skincare nerd!

I don't necessarily agree with that. I would classify a "normal" or perhaps the word "average" person might be better, as someone who purchases skincare from a store and takes the advice of the sales assistant - and doesn't necessarily bother to read any articles or do any research on skincare whatsoever. The people who read Paula are probably more inclined to read forums like this one.

I think her opinion on dermarolling is misinformed. Considering this statement for instance:

Quote:
Would a dermal roller replace or create results similar to laser treatments or boost your products benefits by allowing ingredients to penetrate deeper?

No-one has ever claimed that the shorter needle lengths meant for product penetration will replicate the effects of a laser. The caparison to lasers comes with the longer length needles designed for CIT - for which there is a plethora of clinical studies. She pays no regard to the difference of product penetration rollers and CIT rollers - but just lumps them into one process.

I don't believe she's done her research on this one - to label dermarolling as a "fad" and a "industry gimmick" is extremely ill advised.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |