Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Clarisonic Pedi Sonic Foot Transformation (7 items) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Original Formula Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Payot Perform Lift Intense (50 ml / 1.6 floz)
Is Sclerotium Gum safe?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Tue May 29, 2012 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I was reading someone basically making fun of Sclerotium Gum and saying it could cause yeast to grow or something. Is this ingredient really safe to use or can it cause yeast to grow?! Is it safe for people with rosacea? Is there any proof or studies saying it is safe? I'm really confused and hoping someone can clarify. Confused Obviously if it causes yeast to grow, that really concerns me. Confused

TIA if anyone can help.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I was reading someone basically making fun of Sclerotium Gum and saying it could cause yeast to grow or something. Is this ingredient really safe to use or can it cause yeast to grow?! Is it safe for people with rosacea? Is there any proof or studies saying it is safe? I'm really confused and hoping someone can clarify. Confused Obviously if it causes yeast to grow, that really concerns me. Confused

TIA if anyone can help.


I would say don't worry it is safe I can dig up abstracts if that is what you are after: Smile

Sclerotium Gum is a natural gum that produces an instant gel base when combined with water. It is a polysaccharide produced through a fermentation process of Sclerotium rolfsii on a glucose-based medium.

To make a gel base use Sclerotium Gum at 2% (0.2% – 2% will produce different consistencies in your end gel), meaning the 20gm jar will make a minimum of 1kg of gel.

Sclerotium Gum can also be used as a thickening and emulsifying agent when making creams. Add to the water phase at 0.2-0.5%. Adding Sclerotium Gum reduces the amount of oil required in your oil phase, and the result will be a lighter, lotion-type cream.

It has natural skin smoothing and skin soothing properties, and is an excellent base for Aromatherapy treatments when a gel is preferred to a lotion, cream or oil. Sclerotium Gum is also suitable to use in hair care products as a conditioning agent.

http://www.auroma.com/Everyday-Aromatherapy-Blog/sclerotium-gum-instant-gelling-agent/

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 1594
Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Which yeast species are you concerned about Egyptiangoddess? And can you link to your source please? We all have micro-organisms living on our skin - some are beneficial, some potentially pathogenic, some neutral. Malassezia - the yeast implicated in seborrhoeic dermatitis - feeds on saturated fats, but that is not universal to fungi nor does it overgrowth occur in every potential human host.

_________________
Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you DM. I read that. I'm still really concerned about the yeast thing though. Confused
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Which yeast species are you concerned about Egyptiangoddess? And can you link to your source please? We all have micro-organisms living on our skin - some are beneficial, some potentially pathogenic, some neutral. Malassezia - the yeast implicated in seborrhoeic dermatitis - feeds on saturated fats, but that is not universal to fungi nor does it overgrowth occur in every potential host.


Hi Firefox. I can't link right now, sorry. But I read this from DrJ in the fantastic actives thread. Sort of making fun of "scooter gum" and saying something like that it was good for yeast to grow or something?! If I read it correctly. I read it a while ago but it stuck with me as a concern. I've tried to research and can't find anything about that. Confused
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 1594
Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Hi Firefox. I can't link right now, sorry. But I read this from DrJ in the fantastic actives thread. Sort of making fun of "scooter gum" and saying something like that it was good for yeast to grow or something?! If I read it correctly. I read it a while ago but it stuck with me as a concern. I've tried to research and can't find anything about that. Confused


Best thing to do would be to PM DrJ and ask for clarification and perhaps some references. It may be he was joking around with DragoN not raising a concern. There is no ingredient that is safe for use in every person and every situation. Anything that is a macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat) can feed one microorganism or another - you'd never use a single product if you avoided all these.

_________________
Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:
Which yeast species are you concerned about Egyptiangoddess? And can you link to your source please? We all have micro-organisms living on our skin - some are beneficial, some potentially pathogenic, some neutral. Malassezia - the yeast implicated in seborrhoeic dermatitis - feeds on saturated fats, but that is not universal to fungi nor does it overgrowth occur in every potential host.


Hi Firefox. I can't link right now, sorry. But I read this from DrJ in the fantastic actives thread. Sort of making fun of "scooter gum" and saying something like that it was good for yeast to grow or something?! If I read it correctly. I read it a while ago but it stuck with me as a concern. I've tried to research and can't find anything about that. Confused


As I recall he said "Scooter Gum....isn't that what your dog leaves when rubbing his bottom on the rug" Scooter Gum is someone's pet name for Sclerotium Gum.

The yeast discussion came on after that, and he said a very useful yeast.

Of course you would not use a gelling agent alone, what would be the point?

It is used to thicken and give slip in products!

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Ok thanks FF. I don't plan on messaging him but thanks anyhow. And yes I understand macronutrients feeding microorganisms, but with rosacea you have to be very careful and it's very tricky with these sorts of things. Confused Rosacea is a scary condition to deal with. I suppose I'd just have to test it and see what happens? I wouldn't want to cause an irreversible problem or something. Sad Btw, you don't have to embolden peoples names. I can see them fine in normal script lol.

Thanks DM. Same reply regarding rosacea above. It's an unfamiliar ingredient and I wouldn't want to cause something irreversible, you know?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 499
Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Int J Biol Macromol. 2007 Aug 1;41(3):314-23. Epub 2007 Apr 7.
Sclerotium rolfsii scleroglucan: the promising behavior of a natural polysaccharide as a drug delivery vehicle, suspension stabilizer and emulsifier.
Viñarta SC, François NJ, Daraio ME, Figueroa LI, Fariña JI.
Source

PROIMI-CONICET, Av. Belgrano y Caseros, T4001MVB Tucumán, Argentina.
Abstract

Gel matrices of scleroglucans from Sclerotium rolfsii ATCC 201126 (EPS I and EPS II, from 48-h and 72-h fermentations, respectively) were evaluated on their release kinetics of theophylline (Th). Equivalent polymer (2%, w/w) and Th (0.2%, w/w) concentrations showed almost coincident drug release patterns, independently of polymer molecular weight or the microstructural properties of gel matrices. Dynamic rheological studies of scleroglucan hydrogel structures (storage, G', and loss, G'', moduli) indicated a solid-like behavior. Differences on pore size dimensions (EPS I=20 microm and EPS II=7 microm) were in accordance to the differences in G' (EPS I=113 Pa and EPS II=161 Pa), a fact likely related to variations in the cross-linking density of polymer networks. Compared to already known biopolymers, EPS I and EPS II at 0.5 g/L showed a good dispersing ability against particulate suspensions of activated charcoal, bentonite, CaCO(3), celite and quartz powder. Emulsifying ability of both EPSs at 2g/L was high (E=56-60%) when tested with kerosene, moderate ( approximately 30%) with hexadecane, and negligible in the presence of olive oil-in-water emulsions.

Also used in wound dressings. But if you feel 'funny' about it....don't use it. More for me. Very Happy

_________________
If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Ok thanks FF. I don't plan on messaging him but thanks anyhow. And yes I understand macronutrients feeding microorganisms, but with rosacea you have to be very careful and it's very tricky with these sorts of things. Confused Rosacea is a scary condition to deal with. I suppose I'd just have to test it and see what happens? I wouldn't want to cause an irreversible problem or something. Sad Btw, you don't have to embolden peoples names. I can see them fine in normal script lol.

Thanks DM. Same reply regarding rosacea above. It's an unfamiliar ingredient and I wouldn't want to cause something irreversible, you know?


I totally understand your concern, you never know what will trigger a reaction especially with a preexisting skin condition!

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 2284
Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
EG, Ive been using sclerotium gum for several months now and never had yeast growing in my serums nor any reactions to it. The amount used (2%) is small but its enough to firm up emulsions.

SG is certainly more benign than using commercial chemical emulsifiers and thickeners. At least SG provides some nourishment to the skin.

No one, not even the ones with sensitive skin (by their own reports) has had any skin reactions to it that they have reported to me. But do a patch test, as with anything you have not used before, and wait 24 h before applying all over.

HTH
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Wed May 30, 2012 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Thank you DragoN, DM and fawnie. Smile I still wonder about that yeast thing as it sounded odd. Maybe one day it will be clarified lol. It does seem like a nice ingredient though. (Especially with it's soothing properties.) Thanks again everyone. Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 2284
Wed May 30, 2012 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Hyaluronic acid (non animal form) is derived from yeast extract, is that what someone was referring to?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 1594
Wed May 30, 2012 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Egyptiangoddess, is it possible you have misremembered the conversation?

DrJ wrote:

Interesting recipe. Do you drink it or smoke it?

Scooter gum? Isn't that what your dog leaves on the carpet when he scoots his bottom to scratch an itch?


DarkMoon wrote:
I would say a bit more like fungus crud than anything to do with dogs

Sclerotium rolfsii

http://www.auroma.com/catalog/rawmaterials/SclerotiumGum/

http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/crop/Type/s_rolfs.htm

Function/use(s): Emulsion Stabilizer; Skin-Conditioning Agent - Miscellaneous; Viscosity Increasing Agent -Aqueous; EMULSION STABILISING; SKIN CONDITIONING; VISCOSITY CONTROLLING

About SCLEROTIUM GUM: Sclerotium Gum is a polysaccharide gum produced by the bacterium Sclerotium rolfssii. It iscomposed of glucose monomers.

Synonym(s): GUM, SCLEROTIUM; SCLEROGLUCAN; SCLEROGUM; BETASIZOFIRAN

S. rolfsii has an extensive host range; at least 500 species in 100 families are susceptible. The most common hosts are the legumes, crucifers, and cucurbits.

[snip]
The fungus persists in many weed hosts as well.


DrJ wrote:

Fungus crud makes many wonderful products. Its what makes beer beer. Wine, bread, cheese. Imagine mushroom & cheese pizza with a hearty stout. Fungus delight!!


http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6453211

There really isn't anything else of note said by DrJ on the subject in that thread.

_________________
Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 2284
Wed May 30, 2012 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
And that bit of silly comment was the start of the Yeast-in-Scooter Gum rumor? Rolling Eyes
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Thu May 31, 2012 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi Firefox, yes it's possible I misremembered. I haven't gone back to the thread to reread to find it as it's so long. I just remember reading something odd that concerned me due to having rosacea and that stuck with me. Not sure if what you quoted is what I was talking about as I can't remember exactly. But thank you anyhow Firefox. I appreciate your trying to help. Smile

fawnie wrote:
And that bit of silly comment was the start of the Yeast-in-Scooter Gum rumor? Rolling Eyes


Um.. fawnie, I don't think this comment was very kind of you. What do you mean rumour?! There was no rumour. I was the only person asking due to having rosacea. Confused You did see that I said I have rosacea right? It was a legitimate concern considering I have rosacea and it is an unfamiliar ingredient, as I stated above. And the reason I was concerned and curious about it is because sclerotium gum was used in place of oil in a serum. So there was more of this ingredient in there, hence the question and concern, again, due to the fact that I have rosacea and have never used this particular ingredient before. So I simply was trying to get some feedback/advice about it as I was confused and worried. (Again, rosacea being a very risky and awful skin condition...)

Wow, I really appreciate your kindness about this fawnie, thanks.. Sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Thu May 31, 2012 6:45 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Hi Firefox, yes it's possible I misremembered. I haven't gone back to the thread to reread to find it as it's so long. I just remember reading something odd that concerned me due to having rosacea and that stuck with me. Not sure if what you quoted is what I was talking about as I can't remember exactly. But thank you anyhow Firefox. I appreciate your trying to help. Smile

fawnie wrote:
And that bit of silly comment was the start of the Yeast-in-Scooter Gum rumor? Rolling Eyes


Um.. fawnie, I don't think this comment was very kind of you. What do you mean rumour?! There was no rumour. I was the only person asking due to having rosacea. Confused You did see that I said I have rosacea right? It was a legitimate concern considering I have rosacea and it is an unfamiliar ingredient, as I stated above. And the reason I was concerned and curious about it is because sclerotium gum was used in place of oil in a serum. So there was more of this ingredient in there, hence the question and concern, again, due to the fact that I have rosacea and have never used this particular ingredient before. So I simply was trying to get some feedback/advice about it as I was confused and worried. (Again, rosacea being a very risky and awful skin condition...)

Wow, I really appreciate your kindness about this fawnie, thanks.. Sad


EG,

I pmed you the link for the Fungal Defense and the Probiotic, I think those will be great in protecting you from any issues with yeast type infections on the skin or anywhere else!

I completely understand your concern as my one son has a condition that makes him very susceptible to yeast overgrowth if not exceedingly cautious!

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Thank you DM, I really appreciate it. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:48 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you DM, I really appreciate it. Smile


My pleasure EG we are all here to support and help one another, at least that is what we are supposed to do!

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 2284
Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

fawnie wrote:
And that bit of silly comment was the start of the Yeast-in-Scooter Gum rumor? Rolling Eyes


Um.. fawnie, I don't think this comment was very kind of you. What do you mean rumour?! There was no rumour. I was the only person asking due to having rosacea. Confused You did see that I said I have rosacea right? It was a legitimate concern considering I have rosacea and it is an unfamiliar ingredient, as I stated above. And the reason I was concerned and curious about it is because sclerotium gum was used in place of oil in a serum. So there was more of this ingredient in there, hence the question and concern, again, due to the fact that I have rosacea and have never used this particular ingredient before. So I simply was trying to get some feedback/advice about it as I was confused and worried. (Again, rosacea being a very risky and awful skin condition...)

Wow, I really appreciate your kindness about this fawnie, thanks.. Sad


Nono I think you mistook my post. The silly exchange b/t the other members about "fungus crud" might have led ppl to think sclerotium gum was not safe. It is quite safe and is not pond scum nor yeast.

Sorry if this was misunderstood EG!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Jurlique Calendula Redness Rescue Calming Mist (100 ml / 3.3 floz) glotherapeutics Cyto-luxe Hydration+ (30 ml / 1 floz) June Jacobs Anti-Aging Blemish Control Spot Treatment (15 ml / 0.5 floz)