Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Seeking feedback on Pratima Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
raissa
5% products discount

Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Epicuren Zinc SPF 20 for about a year, but have been getting color with it and am not completely comfortable with the nano-sized zinc. Any recent experiences with Pratima's sunscreens? I know some report color/burning with these as well, but I'm attracted by the slightly higher % of micronized zinc. Thank you in advance!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use this and love it. I do not get color through Pratima. I will say, IMO, it is for someone with dryer skin. I could see it leaving an oily skin too "greasy" feeling.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Have you run a search on the reviews section? This is one of the most frequently recommended suscreens.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 29, 2012 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I vote for Pratima. I use the Neem Vetiver body version on my face and body (more economical/same ingreds/diff scent).

It is rather moist looking so I blot with Japanese blotting papers before I go out anywhere special.

Havent gotten any color either.

I also like Osmosis Shelter the current version with red algae. It stays on til I wash it off and isnt ghostly or greasy.

I like Live-Live Organics spf30 too- it is a zinc/titanium ss that is invisible too. Not greasy. Protects well.
raissa
5% products discount

Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, I appreciate your replies! I haven't checked the reviews section yet, but I will. I have dryish skin, so the less-than-matte finish sounds good to me. I'm also glad to hear, Rileygirl, that you haven't gotten any color with this. I think I will give the vetiver version a go.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
The last few years around in late November, Pratima has had a free shipping deal. I've not seen anything so far, has anyone else? I'd like to re-order the sunscreen.
Nayana

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Have you run a search on the reviews section? This is one of the most frequently recommended suscreens.

Really it works for oily skin.I will
Lightshox
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Fawnie wrote:
I also like Osmosis Shelter the current version with red algae. It stays on til I wash it off and isnt ghostly or greasy.

Just so everyone knows, Osmosis Shelter is the exact same product as Sircuit Skin Sol-Avert but the Sol-Avert is cheaper and offers more product.

I confirmed this with an Osmosis rep who said they use the same lab. So much for unique skin care!
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Lightshox wrote:
Fawnie wrote:

Just so everyone knows, Osmosis Shelter is the exact same product as Sircuit Skin Sol-Avert but the Sol-Avert is cheaper and offers more product.

I confirmed this with an Osmosis rep who said they use the same lab. So much for unique skin care!

Let's add:
MyChelle Replenishing Solar Defense SPF 30

This sunscreen ALSO has the same ingredients as the Osmosis and Sircuit Sunscreens! and it seems to be a little less expensive too.
Now you have 3 options Smile It is your choice how much you want to pay for the same formula. Wink

Here are the ingredients:
Zinc Oxide (ZinClear) (13.5%)
Aqua (water), caprylic/capric triglyceride (coconut)**, isodecyl neopentanoate (vegetable), ethyl macadamiate (macadamia oil), aleurites moluccana seed oil*, glycerin (vegetable), hydrolyzed starch phosphate, hydrogenated palm glycerides, candelilla/jojoba/rice bran polyglyceryl-3 esters, potassium cetyl phosphate (vegetable), ergothioneine (L) (amino-acid), porphyra umbilicalis (red algae) extract, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, hordeum distichon (barley) extract, phellodendron amurense (cork-tree) bark extract, malic acid (L) (apple), tocopherol, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin (vegetable), santalum album (sandalwood) extract, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, lonicera japonica (honeysuckle) flower extract, glyceryl isostearate (vegetable fatty acid), glyceryl stearate (vegetable), polyglyceryl-10 pentastearate (plant), behenyl alcohol (rapeseed oil), alcohol denatured (grain)*, sodium stearoyl lactylate (salt), hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (plant), cetearyl alcohol (coconut), sodium lactate (salt)
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone know what's going on with Pratima sunscreen, specifically the Neem Body version? It's been out of stock for at least 6 weeks. Are they discontinuing it?

http://www.pratimaskincare.com/neem-vetiver-body-sunscreen

I tried emailing their customer service, but got no response to my question on when it would be back in stock.

As my sunscreen supply is dwindling, I may have to find a new body brand soon.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
For those interested in the Pratima sunscreen supply, I did get a response from their customer service:

Thanks for your interest in Neem Vetiver Body Sunscreen.

We apologize that this item being out of stock, especially as it is one of our most popular items. Unfortunately one of our herbal ingredients, which is integral to our formula, is temporarily unavailable. While we don't have an exact date of its arrival, we estimate the product will be available in 3 to 5 weeks. Of course, if it becomes available sooner, we will notify you immediately.

We will keep your information on our priority wait list and notify you of any updates on availability.

Many thanks for your interest and your patience,

PRATIMA Customer Care
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Ive switched to Uriage sunscreens. Pratima's shipping is too high and the frequent out of stock messages are just a pain.

Im using this one right now and it gives skin a glowy naturally tanned look and moisturizes perfectly on top of my C serum. Smells fresh and delightful. So far, no burning or tanning when I remove it at night. Goes on without a white cast:

"Uriage Bariésun SPF 50+ Gold Tinted Cream is a very high protection sun cream, enriched in Uriage Thermal Water which provides moisturizing and protective properties.This cream is hypoallergenic, and designed to sensitive skins. It offers a broad protection to the skin from the UVA and UVB rays thanks to its very performing filtering complex with Tinsorb M. Slightly golden, it offers a heathly glow effect to your complexion, for a radiant and perfectly protected skin.Waterproof, it has a light and non-greasy texture.Free from octocrylen, cinnamate, paraben, alcohol."
http://www.amazon.com/Uriage-Bari%C3%A9sun-Gold-Tinted-Cream/dp/B007NM2J66/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368384161&sr=8-5&keywords=uriage+sunscreen

Ingredients in Bariesun Gold Tinted Cream 50+:
"Aqua, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Uriage Thermal Spring Water, Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol (Tinosorb M), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (avobenzone which is stabilized by Tinosorb and ethylhexyl triazone), Ethylhexyl Triazone, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), C 20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Triacontanyl PVP, C 20-22 Alcohols, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), Glucose, Parfum (Fragrance), Chlorphenesin, Xanthan Gum, Benzoic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, O-Cymen-5-OL, Propylene Glycol, Trehalose, Citric Acid, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate."
http://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/Uriage-Bariesun-SPF-50+-Gold-Tinted-Cream-50ml!13059.html#composition

The children's version is less exxy for a bigger tube and is not scented.
http://www.amazon.com/Uriage-Bari%C3%A9sun-Children-Milk-100ml/dp/B0060OTV5A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368384161&sr=8-3&keywords=uriage+sunscreen

About Tinosorb M (a European ingredient not available in USA sunscreens):
"By absorbing, reflecting and scattering the sun’s UV rays, Tinosorb M provides high-level broad spectrum coverage of UVA and UVB rays. It is also naturally stable and not susceptible to significant photodegradation (degradation upon exposure to sunlight)."
http://blog.pharmacymix.com/why-tinosorb-m-and-tinosorb-s-are-effective

About avobenzone's stability in this formula:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1562/0031-8655(2001)0740401POBMAA2.0.CO2/abstract

Buh-bye Pratima! Not talking

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 12, 2013 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks fawnie, this looks like a good face alternative to Pratima. I've wanted to try something with tinsorb to see how it worked.

What do you use on body?
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol is Tinosorb M, not Tinosorb S.

Thus, to me, the avobenzone in Uriage is not photo-stable and we should avoid using it.

If you want to use chemical sunscreen, you may try Anthelios Sunscreen La Roche-posay with Mexoplex which contains Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL and Tinosorb S; with these filters, avobenzone is stabilized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Ebf_L-E48

I have tried it but find it too greasy for me.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Summer2004, are you absolutely sure that the avobenzone in Uriage is not stabilized by Tinosorb? (either Tinosorb S or M will stabilize it)

This chart shows that it is:

Tinosorb M: "Absorbs both UVA and UVB rays, reflects and scatters some of them too; Helps stabilize other UV filters (esp octinoxate)"
http://www.skinacea.com/sunscreen/uv-filters-chart.html#.UraHl2RDtM0

Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M are actually very similar and share the same benefits in sunscreens depending on which source you read.

Uriage also contains Uvinol T150 which is a stable UVB filter.

Re Anthelios: Besides being terribly greasy as you say, I have a problem with the Mexoryls since they absorb UVR and release it as thermal energy, which can be a problem for melasma sufferers:

Mexoryl SX and XL: "Absorbs UV rays, then releases the UV rays as thermal energy; No skin penetration"
http://www.skinacea.com/sunscreen/uv-filters-chart.html#.UraHl2RDtM0

I do appreciate your attention to detail tho and Ill run it by the Uriage ppl just to clarify.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

I don't know if avobenzone can be photostabilized by Tinosorb M and just present my comment based on the study that avobenzone could be stabilized by S, not M.

After all, my other concern is that we don't know how much of chemical filter A can stabilize chemical filter B.

Unlike physical sunscreen, chemical suncreen manufacturers usually don't disclose the % if the filters.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:23 am      Reply with quote
Its perplexing. But given all the sunscreens Ive tried, Uriage BarieSun Childrens works best for me. So thats my choice. You may choose otherwise based upon your experiences with sunscreens you have tried.

One dilemma is finding a stable sunscreen that is also cosmetically elegant and doesnt contain a lot of irritating ingredients. So Uriage Childrens is my choice based upon those factors. Splitting hairs by worrying over "what % of what" isnt my thing.

I maintain that avobenzone is stabilized by the Tinosorbs, both S and M, as the charts show. I await Uriage's information.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

You may also seek advice of BASF too (as CIBA is now owned by BASF).

http://www.basf.com/group/corporate/en/brand/TINOSORB
http://www.personal-care.basf.com/contacts/
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Anyway. Since the topic is Pratima sunscreen, they seem to have changed their formulation of the Neem Vetiver one at least. It goes on dry-ish now instead of the moist feel and long "play time" effect that it had last year. Looks dry on the skin after an hour or so instead of being a nice moisturizer. Anyone else notice this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Re stability of filters used in Uriage Bariésun Children's spf50, I received this message from Uriage in France:

"We have been received your request concerning our product Bariésun Children’s SPF 50+.

We inform you that we use for sun products range Uriage an association of 3 chemical UV filters and they are Photostable without octocrylène. The filters are the following :

-Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethyl butylphenol or Tinosorb M absorbing UVB as well as UVA rays.
-Butyl Methoxy dibenzoylmethane or Avobenzone that absorbe the full spectrum of UVA rays.
-Ethyl Hexyl Triazone that absorbe the spectrum of UVB rays.

For the mineral sun product the UVA-UVAB complex is Titanium oxide and zinc oxide (mineral filters).

Hoping to meet your expectations,

Sincerely,

Sophie Chanteau
Scientific Communication"

So, its a very stable and broad spectrum sunscreen that isnt pasty white or greasy. I use it every day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

I know you like Uriage; however, the reply did not mention if Tinosorb M would stabilize avobenzone.

Am I correct?

I think that it is better for you to check it out with BASF.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Summer2004,
all the information I read says that both the Tinosorbs stabilize avobenzone. But please be my guest if you would like to contact BASF! I dont have a dog in the race & I dont sell Uriage, but I use it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

Don't get me wrong, I did not imply that you'd any vested interest there; all I wanted to say was to question if Tinosorb M could stabilize avobenzone because the study only mentioned that if was Tinosorb S, not Tinsorb M, that could do the job.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |