Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is your view on manual/physical exfoliation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thanks DM. TCA peels really scare me. Shock

Firefox, funny that you mention Lactic acid as that is the particular AHA I was interested in using based on what I've learned. (Definitely more so than Glycolic Acid.) So do you only use Lactic acid/AHA and not physical exfoliation? And how would one incorporate that Lactic acid you linked to. Oh, I see that it says it's an excellent humectant when added to formulations at 3-5%. Is that enough for an AHA benefit or must it be 12% like in the study? In other words, how do you use Lactic acid?

If I remember correctly, Lactic Acid is the AHA of choice for those with more sensitive/dry/sun damaged skin. I only ever see Glycolic Acid products though.

TCA is not used for exfoliation anyway - generally limited to the stratus corneum - it is used for controlled destruction of deeper epidermal and even dermal tissue in order to trigger regeneration. I've read some hair-raising tales but most were down to poor research and application of the principles (Fitz skintype, percentage, layers, wound care, lifestyle mods). Sad I feel safer with my dermarollers!

As I posted earlier "I do a little of both - a muslin cloth and light lactic acid peels (not together!)." Currently am doing LA peels probably averaging once a fortnight and I use the muslin cloth between to remove my cleanser, with a little extra friction as and when required. With LA I don't experience flaking so I am not forcing any flakes off whilst the skin is healing, and often abandon the cloths entirely for a couple of days after a peel. I started out conservatively at ~22% for three minutes and slowly worked up but will not go higher than ~44%.

I quoted that link because I can't take credit for that level of research so can't help you with the detail of your queries. Do e-mail SEA if you are one of their customers anyway, otherwise these are great resources http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16190061/Color-Atlas-of-Chemical-Peels

Am currently contemplating doing a three week daily application, but will be using less than 12% or may buffer the pH based on how well I know *my* skin responds to and absorbs LA. Remember that many studies are done on healthy skins so those with certain issues (very mature, dermatitis, rosacea, acne, smokers) may respond differently. I have atopic eczema and contact dermatitis so know my skin barrier is genetically weaker than average.

"The depot effect may turn up unexpectedly under rather surprising circumstances. For example, the application of 10% lactic acid to the nasalar cheek for 10 min, followed by rinsing, is often used to identify persons with ‘sensitive skin’, who typically experience stinging, peaking in about 8 min, as originally described by Frosch and Kligman in 1977 [54]. The site was rinsed with tap water at the end of the test to remove the residue. We studied many factors that influence the stinging reaction but did not anticipate one feature that was brought to our attention by some subjects, namely that taking a shower hours after the application of 10% lactic acid resulted in recall of stinging to the original level.

We examined the recall phenomenon more closely in five women who were moderate lactic acid ‘stingers’. Recall was provoked at various intervals by covering the site with a 2" square of non-woven cloth (Webril) saturated with water, sealed under impermeable tape for 10 min, thoroughly wetting the site. After an 1-h interval, wet Webril fully restored stinging to the original degree. After 3 h, the stinging was slightly less. By 6 h, stinging was barely perceptible in three of five subjects and was no longer evident by 24 h. In another study of the same five subjects, the lactic acid site was not rinsed off after the 10-min application. In that case, moderate stinging was recalled in four of the five subjects after a 48-h interval but was no longer perceptible after 72 h. Our interpretation is that lactic acid established a depot in the horny layer of the face, known to be more permeable than other body areas. Wetting the site swelled the horny layer releasing the stored lactic acid
."
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00644.x/full
This whole review is excellent BTW, written by Albert Kligman the 'godfather' of Retin-A.

HTH! Very Happy

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:54 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Firefox, I must have missed your post!

Lotusesther wrote:
Very interesting! Yoghurt and creme fraiche contain about 5% of lactic acid (and are wonderful to use on dry skin as a mask).

Thank you Lotusesther! Do you have any links proving that to be true about yogurt and creme fraiche containing 5% lactic acid? Using those for a facemask is right up my alley! But I'm not sure they actually contain that much lactic acid or are good exfoliants. Apparently creme fraiche has a PH of around 4.5 and yogurt has a PH of around 4. All I could find out about the lactic acid content was this article from "The Beauty Brains" which says yogurt only contains 0.9% lactic acid:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2011/11/02/is-yogurt-a-natural-exfoliant/

Do you have any info about the lactic acid content of creme fraiche or yogurt? I'd love for this to be true!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I need to peel more often than I do due to using the CPs. Haven't been keeping up with my peels and can definitely tell a difference; I think this is what causes the CP uglies you may have read about.
I Clarisonic just about daily, really couldn't live without my skin brush. I have some lactic acid peel, may use since I don't spend that much time outdoors.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you Firefox, I must have missed your post!

Lotusesther wrote:
Very interesting! Yoghurt and creme fraiche contain about 5% of lactic acid (and are wonderful to use on dry skin as a mask).

Thank you Lotusesther! Do you have any links proving that to be true about yogurt and creme fraiche containing 5% lactic acid? Using those for a facemask is right up my alley! But I'm not sure they actually contain that much lactic acid or are good exfoliants. Apparently creme fraiche has a PH of around 4.5 and yogurt has a PH of around 4. All I could find out about the lactic acid content was this article from "The Beauty Brains" which says yogurt only contains 0.9% lactic acid:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2011/11/02/is-yogurt-a-natural-exfoliant/

Do you have any info about the lactic acid content of creme fraiche or yogurt? I'd love for this to be true!

EG,

You can join the site at The Beauty Brains and ask your question, they are a great source for the actual science of beauty treatments!
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
FireFox, I didn't know that ascorbic acid exfoliates?

I thought that it was just an antioxidant.
shawnlimws

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 am      Reply with quote
If you are not careful with the ingredients in your physical/manual exfoliants, you can cause micro-tears in your skin.

Large exfoliants like fruit pits and nuts will cause micro-tears in the skin so I think it's better to stay away from those.

For people with sensitive skin, I would recommend using chemical exfoliants instead. Chemical exfoliants are more gentle on the skin but can still help to remove dead skin cells.
wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
If you find that your skin's absorption of skin care products and other things begins to weaken, it means that your dead skin has begun to block the active absorption of the skin, and if the feeling of yellowing skin color is also a sign of this problem, then it should be noted to remove dead skin cutin. Generally speaking, dry skin in winter is 1-2 months to go, and summer is half a month to a month to go, for allergic skin, the general use of exfoliating function of skin rubbing water can be, I am dry skin, so I rarely use exfoliating products
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I do both, on different days.

Did you know using a physical scrub with granules actually make your skin oilier?

I use an enzyme rub-off-rub-off peeling when I want to brighten the skin. It's more gentle than a scrub. (CIRACLE Daily Wash Peeling Gel)

For something with granules for that "scratch", I use Nia24 Exfoliator. It feels like it has sodium bicarb it in so great for pore cleansing.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |