Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Serious bug bites- any home remedies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies- I just returned from Honduras and my body is riddled with swollen, red mosquito and sand flea bites... easily over a hundred, and boy do they itch. It's at that point where I have itched too much and turned many of them into little scabs. Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce itching and help healing? Especially with the expediting healing... With this many bites, I look like I've contracted chicken pox or something! Home remedies? Anything?
miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:38 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your bites - you sound like me. Unfortunately, if things are so inflamed, you might need to get a steroid cream and/or use antihistamines. I wish I wasnt so stubborn and used them sooner as I get pigmentation if the bites get too inflamed and red. Now I always have people asking me what happened to my feet Sad
Steroid creams help to some degree. I tried home remedies like natural creams with MSM and other great things (Moogoo) but it as that one step too extreme. Hope yours don't scar like mine!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
I use vigin coconut oil on flea and mosquito bites. Works very well to heal and control the itching.

In fact, if you know you'll be somewhere where you most likely will get flea/mosquito bites, coconut oil acts as a bug repellent, too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
lavender essential oil really helps.....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
lavender essential oil really helps.....

I am with you daler! Very Happy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
There's also the old standby of Calamine Lotion. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
This may strike all as strange, but my pediatrician had me use un-seasoned Adolph's Meat Tenderizer for bites on my kids, something in the enzymes draws out the poison/venom from insect bites. We were in a rural area of Florida close to the Everglades and had terrible fire ants and humongous wolf type spiders (spiders would bite my babies at night)!

You just make a paste with it and water and apply to the bite/s and cover with a band-aide, it also kept them from scratching so works on the itch as well as shrinking the bite!

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Oral antihistamine for that many bites, should really have started a week or so ago tho. Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Oral antihistamine for that many bites, should really have started a week or so ago tho. Confused

Better late than never, they will at least stop the itch! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

Unfortunately they might not with that many bites and a history of scratching, the immune system will already be in overdrive. Antihistamines are more effective the earlier they are started (preferably beforehand) because of their mechanism of action. But that is easy for me to say: clearly one can forsee the hayfever season more easily than a mass bug attack! Sad

Jenp7: one of the best things for itching is applying something cold, the nerves cannot transmit cold signals and itch signals simultaneously. It's really important you don't scratch because that can introduce infection and trap you in the 'itch-scratch' cycle.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

Unfortunately they might not with that many bites and a history of scratching, the immune system will already be in overdrive. Antihistamines are more effective the earlier they are started (preferably beforehand) because of their mechanism of action. But that is easy for me to say: clearly one can forsee the hayfever season more easily than a mass bug attack! Sad

Jenp7: one of the best things for itching is applying something cold, the nerves cannot transmit cold signals and itch signals simultaneously. It's really important you don't scratch because that can introduce infection and trap you in the 'itch-scratch' cycle.

Funny it has worked for me with Fire Ant bites after a few days and sleepless nights of incessant itching and scratching.
They make a mosquito bite feel like a kiss in comparison!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Just getting back from the beach for Memorial day, I know exactly what you mean.
My son and his friends were fishing in brackish water outside of our house in Port A and got eaten alive! We used the meat tenderizer (I keep it in my bag), clear Calamine lotion, and an Aloe/lidocaine spray that doubles for sunburn relief. We also take Benadryl and that reduces the inflamation and calms the itch for me. If you are prone to allergic reactions like my family is, its also a must in the travel bag.
The hardest part is to resist scrathing but if you are you could use emu oil or mederma. I keep a sample of the Biafine in my bag as as well as prednisone for extreme reaction(which I have a RX for and always comes in handy).
Sand fleas are tricky as they prefer the warm moist areas of your body as well. That was our experience in Mexico and the locals told us to shower off immediately, wash your bathing suits well and apply the topicals along with an antihistimine.
I HATE mosqitoes and sand fleas, ugh!!!
We have a thermocell that we place in the outdoor living areas but if you aren't carrying it around with you all the time, you are prone to getting bit when the winds/breeze dies down.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Another thing that will help is tea tree oil. Next time you go out, use tea tree or lavender EO and it will help repel the buggers.
some bugs are attracted by the smell of your skin- smells like "dinner" to them! So, the EOs mentioned above give your skin a different smell that the bugs don't like.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hoping your bites are well-healed by now but for future reference, this mixture is what I use for insect bites and it takes away the itch and sting right away:

Lithospermum infused oil, SheaButter, Beeswax, Menthol crystals, Borneol, Lavender essential oil, Peppermint[mentha arvensis], essential oil, Tea Tree essential oil, Rosemary essential oil, Patchouli essential oil, Juniper Berry essential oil, Cajeput essential oil.

works a treat!
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your help! I am beyond the itching stage now (thankfully), and am trying to heal them with coconut oil and tea tree oil. I unfortunately found mylself scratching in my sleep, so I ended up with a lot of little scabs. Also, those sand flea bites seem to really take a while to heal as I still have small, red bumps all over. Sigh. Next time I will travel armed with all the amazing EO and OTC recommendations posted here. Thanks again!

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |