Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone here have dental anxiety?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:23 am      Reply with quote
I hope this is ok to ask here. I have horrid dental anxiety. I literally can't get myself to make and go to my appointment. I'm due for a cleaning and I'm pretty much panicking. They have to sedate me when I go. (And I always can't sleep at all the night before.) But the problem is, it's really bad right now I guess due to losing some family members in the past 6 months. I literally had a panic attack the last time my husband tried to make the appointment and he couldn't make it. I don't know what to do anymore. The dentist called and I'm losing it. It never used to be this bad but I guess it's worse due to grief. And I don't even have a family doctor to help me through this. Confused

I guess I'm just wondering, are there any EDSers with dental anxiety? And what do you do to help yourself go? Does anyone have any advice?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:22 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I hope this is ok to ask here. I have horrid dental anxiety. I literally can't get myself to make and go to my appointment. I'm due for a cleaning and I'm pretty much panicking. They have to sedate me when I go. (And I always can't sleep at all the night before.) But the problem is, it's really bad right now I guess due to losing some family members in the past 6 months. I literally had a panic attack the last time my husband tried to make the appointment and he couldn't make it. I don't know what to do anymore. The dentist called and I'm losing it. It never used to be this bad but I guess it's worse due to grief. And I don't even have a family doctor to help me through this. Confused

I guess I'm just wondering, are there any EDSers with dental anxiety? And what do you do to help yourself go? Does anyone have any advice?

Hey EG,

I have had other situations where I have felt panic get the best of me, before it gets more out of hand try a natural remedy, Hyland's Calms Forté can be taken to help anxiety and also to get to sleep (higher dose)!

http://www.hylands.com/products/calmsforte.php

Also try to find some calming meditation cd's they can be very soothing!

Try to convince yourself (and it is true) it is the anticipation that you are allowing to bring on the stress, which is really worse than the actual visit to the dentist! How you think about things cause how you emotionally react.

HUGS

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:37 am      Reply with quote
So sorry to hear about your recent losses in your family. (((HUGS)))

I only had one anxiety attack at the dentist office (right in front of my young kids at the time... Crying or Very sad ) which floored me because I'm not afraid of the dentist. I think it was due to the fact that I had some surgery recently and was put on Vicodine for the pain. I believe it messed with me, because I usually only get anxiety attacks when under extreme stress. But since that happened, I do get a little fearful when going to the dentist now, even though it hasn't happened since.

But I understand your fear. I agree with DarkMoon on trying all the natural products first to see if they work. My girls have had good luck with Bach's Rescue Rememdy when stressing over giving an oral report, as my youngest usually does, and when my oldest was stresing over having reoccurring staph infections.

If the natural solutions do not work for you, maybe your doctor can give you something mild for that day to help calm you down.

Good luck with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I used to have some pretty bad dentist anxiety. The trick for me was finding a dentist I trust. It was someone recommended to me by a friend. There are also dentists who specialize with anxious patients. You may want to find someone like that.

I'd suggest just going to the dentist office a few times with NO procedures planned. Just go walk in the office and leave. Next time chat with the receptionist. Get yourself comfortable with just going there and nothing happening.

Then go for just a basic exam, no cleaning, nothing else. It's ok to need anti-anxiety meds.

But, be sure to find a dentist who will work with you on this.

Good luck, you can do it!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Sorry eg. I have some anxiety also when I go to the dentist. I won't go for a cleaning unless my husband get his cleaned at the same time. If I have to have any drilling done he comes in and holds my foot while I'm laying in the chair. I just don't like anyone's hands in my mouth. I don't really have any helpful hints to share. I've tried the music headphones but they don't really do anything for me. Sorry I couldn't be of any help but I do feel you pain. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it!

DM, thank you. I've got the calms forte lol! It really helps me sleep. Need to use it for anxiety more though. I'll try what you said. Smile

Thank you sandooch, I've got bach's rescue remedy. It does help. I can't get any sedatives from a doctor like you said, because I don't have a family Doctor and walk-in clinics here don't offer anything like that. Sad I've tried to find a family Doctor with no success. It's quite a pickle I'm in. Confused

Shastagirl, thank you so much. I've been there a few times already and I do trust the Dentist. I'll have to try what you said though.

Thank you CookieD. I always get my husband to come in with me as well. Smile

I wish I could have a Doctor darn it. This anxiety is awful. I don't know why my brain makes a such big deal about the dentist! But thanks again for your help everyone. Smile
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
My friend had dental phobia for years and finally found a dentist who was very gentle and understanding. I think some may advertise specifically for dental phobics.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Some really good ones give you Nitrous Oxide! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Actually, you do not need to visit your MD to get an Rx - your dentist is also able to prescribe medication like antibiotics and anti anxiety medication. My dentist suggested a prescription for a v low dose of valium which I take 20 minutes prior to a procedure and it is really effective - I have had root canals and watched TV at the same time. I prefer this to nitrous oxide as it makes me feel woozy & sick to my stomach. The only effect valium has on me is to remove the anxiety. I now am able to go to the dentist regularly after not being able to go for 11 years.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Softskin, thank you. My dentist does already specialize in dental phobia and is very nice. I'm still too anxious to go though. Confused

Hi mismis. Thank you for sharing your story. Smile You might have misread what I said though. I actually do get sedated at the dentist every time. I get something called Triazolam which is heavy duty oral sedation. (The only thing higher than that is IV sedation/being put under.) When I spoke about a Dr. I meant regarding anti-anxiety medication to help me even make the appointment and go to it. The problem is I can't make the appointment and go to it due to the anxiety. I do get heavy duty sedation at the dentist every time though. It's worse than a pickle I'm in as I can't get a family Dr. and walk-in clinics don't offer help/medication for anxiety etc. Confused

Thanks everyone for your advice and stories though. I really appreciate it. Smile
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Yes, but for pelvic exams and I can't get them done. I would vomit before the appointment also.

As for the dentist, I cringe at the thought because my teeth has become more sensitive.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 am      Reply with quote
Why don't you try hypnotherapy?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi EG! First of all, I feel like we think so much alike. I've read some of your posts (I share with you a passion for nutrition, btw. Smile

I am experiencing dental anxiety myself right now. I had to have a crown put on and my dentist and the lab that he uses keep messing it up. I've had to go a lot and it's causing me a lot of stress at the moment. I never used to have a problem with going to the dentist,but it's become harder for me as a result of this.

I'm okay with dental cleanings because I feel like I'm doing something good for my teeth. Are you afraid that you'll have cavities? I don't like the invasive feeling of having people poke around in my mouth. Sad Have you ever considered taking your ipod with you to the dentist? Maybe you could play some relaxing rain sounds or something on your ipod that will help you.

It's also been hard for me because I've to have numbing injections during the process of this crown that they keep getting screwed up! Sad They have to numb me and every time, the day after, I feel extremely depressed and start crying or being upset over things/in a general very bad mood and my poor boyfriend has to listen to me cry and be in a very sad mood. I have come to really hate going to the dentist because it all just feels so invasive. I really know how you feel, but rest assured, a cleaning will only help you in the long run.

I also lost a very close family member recently, so I know the effect this can have on you. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me anytime! *hugs*
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I think there's a difference in a person being fearful of something to actually having a phobia about it. No-one likes going to the dentist. But most people manage to cope with it. But people have phobias about all kinds of things, spiders, flying, confined spaces etc. etc. which can send them over the edge. These are unreasonable fears and need to be handled on a psychological level IMO.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing Skincare! I'm so sorry to hear about that. That's another thing that makes me anxious! Shock

Thank you Keliu. I never thought of hypnotherapy!

Bellakai, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm surprised you haven't pmed me already if we're so much alike! Very Happy I'm so sorry to hear about your dental issues. Stress like that sure doesn't help matters for you! And I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Sad ((hugs)) Thank you again for your post and suggestions. Smile
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Valium is not a sedative - it is an anti anxiety medication. You will not feel sleepy or out of it - you just will not feel anxious. & your dentist can perscribe it. I belive the generic is called diazapam. You can even drive home, which is not possible with sedatives or nitrous oxide.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
mismis, valium IS a sedative. (anti-anxiety medications are sedatives/hypnotics unless they're antidepressants!) And here they won't let you drive home after valium. Regardless, valium is not strong enough for me. In my post I said I get triazolam which is much MUCH stronger than valium. And that's fine AT the dentist, but the problem is prior to the dentist. Meaning, I'm so anxious right now, I can't even book the appointment or go to it. It's not being sedated at the dentist that is the problem. This is why I said I need a family doctor but can't get one.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
mismis, valium IS a sedative. (anti-anxiety medications are sedatives/hypnotics unless they're antidepressants!) And here they won't let you drive home after valium. Regardless, valium is not strong enough for me. In my post I said I get triazolam which is much MUCH stronger than valium. And that's fine AT the dentist, but the problem is prior to the dentist. Meaning, I'm so anxious right now, I can't even book the appointment or go to it. It's not being sedated at the dentist that is the problem. This is why I said I need a family doctor but can't get one.

Why can't you EG, I thought Canada had a decent National Health Care system?

That is what I was told by a Canadian anyway??

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
We do. The problem is a shortage of doctors. Sad The only ones accepting patients aren't good. So all there is are walk-in clinics and they put out signs inside saying "We do not prescribe narcotics etc. here" Damnit. All I want is a family doctor to help me out of this hell. I'm not well and am really sick and I can't get proper medical attention. All the good doctors have died or retired! Sad I'm so stressed out. Going to the doctor causes me anxiety too so I'm at a loss. I'm crying now. My mouth really hurts and I'm too anxious to go to the dentist. My only other choice is to go to the hospital but I can't because that's where my mom was when lots of bad things happened. I can't bring myself to go there either. I'm sorry if I overspoke!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
We do. The problem is a shortage of doctors. Sad The only ones accepting patients aren't good. So all there is are walk-in clinics and they put out signs inside saying "We do not prescribe narcotics etc. here" Damnit. All I want is a family doctor to help me out of this hell. I'm not well and am really sick and I can't get proper medical attention. All the good doctors have died or retired! Sad I'm so stressed out. Going to the doctor causes me anxiety too so I'm at a loss. I'm crying now. My mouth really hurts and I'm too anxious to go to the dentist. My only other choice is to go to the hospital but I can't because that's where my mom was when lots of bad things happened. I can't bring myself to go there either. I'm sorry if I overspoke!

No EG,

I am sorry I upset you!

I have dealt with panic attacks in the past myself and I understand more than you may think!

I am just grabbing dinner and it is almost 6:30 my first meal so far today, let me finish and I will pm you!

I really don't want you so frustrated and crying!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry DM, you didn't upset me! I'm just tired really. I hope you enjoy your dinner. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Sorry DM, you didn't upset me! I'm just tired really. I hope you enjoy your dinner. Smile

I sent you a message, I will finish my dinner in a bit, really I am so sorry!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Don't worry DM, you didn't upset me! Our Doctor shortage upsets me lol. I just don't think it's often talked about or known! I think it's mainly in British Columbia. The walk-in clinic a few weeks ago kept shutting down with signs on the window saying they were closed due to a shortage of doctors! And my grief doesn't help matters, you know? I'm sure it'll all be sorted soon though! Smile Thanks for your pm. Smile I'm hoping that soon I can post saying I was able to go to the dentist and survived! LOL.
wkw1203
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
I also have the same problem! Hope that you and I can improve it as well.
Bgeorge

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 am      Reply with quote
To avoid it, they'll put up with gum infections (periodontal disease), pain, or even broken and unsightly teeth. Dental anxiety and phobia are extremely common. It has been estimated that 9% to 15% of Americans avoid seeing the dentist because of anxiety and fear. That's about 30 million to 40 million people.Visit mysouljunkie for Counseling to fight anxiety.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |