Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi for a brown-skinned girl
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
captain lola
5% products discount

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm seriously considering starting an Obagi regimen to fade previous acne-brown-spots, and to even out my skin tone, and hopefully see some overall improvement in my complexion.

I have heard that Obagi works best for very fair skinned people. I'm concerned about the things that could go wrong using Obagi with my skin type (scarring or hyerpigmentation are my main concerns) but would also like to hear any success stories of Black women or dark skinned women who've used the product. Any feedback from darker skinned people who've used Obagi is welcome.

I'm posting pictures to give an idea of what my complexion is like; light brown and it scars easily and for a long time.

thanks for any comments

i'm consulting a dermatologist later this week for her suggestions. i've already consulted with one who thinks that Obagi could be okay, especially if i went slowly and carefully.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
wish I could comment, but I don't have any experience with obagi! All I suggest is to follow your dermatologists instructions and take a conservative approach. The products with Hydroquinone are the ones that might cause pigmentation problems.
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I am an avid Obagi fan and user but sorry cant help with your question. My guess is that it will work as well for your skin as it did mine. I suggest you wait and see what your derm says and go from there.

I remember doing a search for Obagi and coming up with a few forums, maybe you might find someone there with a similar situation.

Good lucl
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Captain lola, I'm in a similar situation to you. I have a coffee-ish skin tone and my spots leave scars behind. I'm looking for the ultimate scar removing product.

I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice about Obagi, but it sounds as if it's worth doing some reseach on this brand to see what it does/doesn't do. If I find any useful info about Obagi, I'll post the info asap.
Yazzy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Just did a quick search on some of the previous posts on Obagi on the forum and it looks as though some people love this stuff, but others may have found it too harsh.

I know I haven't done a thorough search...but Obagi products sound like a serious skin care regime and a lot of people report that they have really red and peeling skin on initial use, which may then subside with time. I must be honest, although I'm desperate to get rid of my scars, I'm not sure if I want to use something as harsh as Obagi. It contains hydroquinone and I'v heard some people question the safety of using this ingredient on the skin.
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Captain Lola,
This subject (dark skin & obaji)came up on another discussion board but unfortunately all the posts were deleted when they changed their URL so we can't do a search BUT
Post the question here:
http://www.spectacularskin.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.cgi
Alot of visitors & alot of Obaji veterans too.
hth Smile
By the way, you look very pretty.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
captain lola, first off, you are a lovely lady!

I've been using Obagi NuDerm Clear since Jan 24th with a different cleanser, toner and moisturizer. It's powerful stuff, I've seen results already after two weeks. I haven't, however, seen a doc about the product so I don't feel all that great using it. It is strong and I do believe it's more like a medicine than regular skincare products.

I'm glad you are seeing a derm, please post what he/she says.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
captain lola, first off, you are a lovely lady!

I've been using Obagi NuDerm Clear since Jan 24th with a different cleanser, toner and moisturizer. It's powerful stuff, I've seen results already after two weeks. I haven't, however, seen a doc about the product so I don't feel all that great using it. It is strong and I do believe it's more like a medicine than regular skincare products.

I'm glad you are seeing a derm, please post what he/she says.

Hi Lolli, I consulted my regular derm yesterday, but she didn't have much to tell me about Obagi at all. I guess because she doesn't distribute it, she didn't really have an interest or knowledge about the product. (By the way...if anyone knows of a good dermatologist in Toronto please feel free to PM me!)

That you had results so quickly gives me more hope than it gives me fear..."out, out damned spot! Smile" Considering what Yazzy and lianne and SherriinCanada are saying here too, it's be worthwhile for me to find a derm who has more knowledge about it before starting Obagi.

If I find one with useful information I'll definitely share it here. The more field notes the better, for sure.
captain lola
5% products discount

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:12 am      Reply with quote
queenpedauque wrote:
Captain Lola,
This subject (dark skin & obaji)came up on another discussion board but unfortunately all the posts were deleted when they changed their URL so we can't do a search BUT
Post the question here:
http://www.spectacularskin.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.cgi
Alot of visitors & alot of Obaji veterans too.
hth Smile
By the way, you look very pretty.

Thanks for this tip queenpedauque.

thanks for the compliments (queenpedauque Very Happy lolli Very Happy ), i'll feel a lot more attractive when these scars are gone.
DaunMD

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Lola,

I am an A.A woman with medium brown skin and I love Obagi Nu-derm.

I began using the product in 2003. I went to my P.S. office requesting info on the blue peel and was told I didn't need it. I was told to give the Nu-derm system a try and was initially quite skeptical.
I had a terrible dark scar on my face that I was self-conscious about.
I wanted the peel but they insisted I try the products first and I'm so glad I did.

Within a month my skin was clear and radiant and I got compliments all the time--especially from friends and family--but more importantly, I saw a difference almost immediately and every day (excluding the "out with the old" period where I looked red, peely and all around yucky...lol)was better than the last.

My skin was so awesome that when I ran out of the products I figured I could just use dept. store stuff but after a few months I realized this was a big mistake.

I just got a new kit this week and this is night 2 . There are already appreciable changes in my skin texture although my skin isn't in nearly as bad a shape as it was when I first tried the products.

I say go for it Lola.
If you do opt to use Obagi, do keep a photo journalof your progress. You will be amazed.

Daun
dutchess of dollz
5% products discount

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
There was another thread on Obagi that I replied to but I will tell you that even though I am light -skinned, it started to make me fair skinned! I used to much of it so it didn't last , but I tell you this because I think if you hang in there, it will begin to take. The darker your skin is, the more resistant it will be, so try to be patient and see what results come about. Hope I helped you out!

D.O.D
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
yes I had just responded to a similar topic as well. My mother is a dermatologist and she does not promote the use of Obagi and definitely not on darker skin. The way obagi works is really through the high concentrations (that tend to burn people) and it can definitely lighten darker skinned people. It definitely can help some people, but its more for fair skin. I would look for another product for your needs....
captain lola
5% products discount

Sun May 01, 2005 9:51 am      Reply with quote
dutchess of dollz wrote:
There was another thread on Obagi that I replied to but I will tell you that even though I am light -skinned, it started to make me fair skinned! I used to much of it so it didn't last , but I tell you this because I think if you hang in there, it will begin to take. The darker your skin is, the more resistant it will be, so try to be patient and see what results come about. Hope I helped you out!

D.O.D

Ha ha, this is exactly what I don't want. I like my brown complexion, I just want to fade out some small brown spots and hyperpigmented scarring.
Thanks anyhow..

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, captain lola! Smile

Your pics didn't load up for me, but I have medium colored skin. In terms of foundation, I've been matched to a mix of Stila D/E, MAC NC37/40, Aromaleigh 3Y/3N, and Vincent Longo Sandy Beige. My color is similar to Jennifer Lopez or Mariah Carey.

I just started the Obagi system and I am on my 3rd day. At the medi spa where I got my system from, the esthetician sold me the "Dark Skin" kit. I had no idea there was a dark skin kit in the first place since the products don't say anything about it on them. She looked at my skin and didn't say anything about any problems that I might have on the system. I'll definitely post an update if anything new happens to my skin, but so far, I have only recently noticed new breakouts. There is no redness or peeling yet or any new hyperpigmentaion, but it is still early.

5% products discount

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
hi girls im of an indian back around my skins medium brown, i so desparately want to look more middle eastern or oriental in skin colour can anyone help i want to whiten my face a good few shades how do i do this without using hydroquinone, as i dont want to use that too scared of the consequences later, ive spent £1000 of my hard earned money but nothing worked,so u can imagine how many whitening creams and serums ive been though please help
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:23 am      Reply with quote
sophie123 wrote:
hi girls im of an indian back around my skins medium brown, i so desparately want to look more middle eastern or oriental in skin colour can anyone help i want to whiten my face a good few shades how do i do this without using hydroquinone, as i dont want to use that too scared of the consequences later, ive spent £1000 of my hard earned money but nothing worked,so u can imagine how many whitening creams and serums ive been though please help

Obagi is used to erase scarring, wrinkles etc so if you have clear skin it will not help you. The people that have experienced lighter skin were that shade anyway underneath all the spots, marks and scars.

There is a reason why nothing has worked on your skin lightening quest even though you have spent £1000, and that is because if you were born the shade you are then you will pretty much stay that way ( Micheal Jackson withstanding).
sophie123
5% products discount

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
how come? i thought it was possible to whiten dark skin a few shades aslong as its not black skin, im an medium indian brown skin just want to go a few shades lighter,is it impossible to ever be lighter than the colour ur born with? please excuse my ignorance im just very disappointed and dont know much about this
schmo

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 am      Reply with quote
sophie123 wrote:
how come? i thought it was possible to whiten dark skin a few shades aslong as its not black skin, im an medium indian brown skin just want to go a few shades lighter,is it impossible to ever be lighter than the colour ur born with? please excuse my ignorance im just very disappointed and dont know much about this

I'm going to chime in here. As Lifecoach eloquently stated; Obagi is for people with sun damaged/acne or those with pigment problems such as hyperpigmentation or melasma.

Due to the hydroquinone in the Clear and Blender, which does lighten the skin. People with dark skin such as Latinos, Arabs, Asians, Indians and African Americans whose skin tones ranges from literally black to nearly white can used Obagi. However, they must be careful or we'll look like a walking chalk board.

I know you know what I'm talking about...

If you have no issues with skin problems as stated above; all you want to do is just bleach your skin to a lighter color to look like another race, then the problem is self, in my opinion.

Natural products such as glycolic, kojic or lactic acid are skin brighteners to have the skin looks its best.

Nothing will work unless you use high levels of hydroquinone and plastic surgery.

Schmo
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |