Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the best PH for face wash?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 am      Reply with quote
What should the PH of face wash be? Do you want it to be around 6.5-7 and thus closer to the PH of water? Or it better to be around 4.5-5.5 like our skin? Any thoughts?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
What should the PH of face wash be? Do you want it to be around 6.5-7 and thus closer to the PH of water? Or it better to be around 4.5-5.5 like our skin? Any thoughts?

If I recall correctly most pH balanced cleansers are somewhere in the 5.5-6 range or close, I would have to find exactly again for sure but know that is a close "ballpark" range.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:18 am      Reply with quote
That's the PH I usually see on all of the "PH balanced" cleansers as well. I just wonder, is that really the best PH for a cleanser and if so, why? ie what's the scientific reasoning behind it. Why isn't a PH the same as water better, ya know?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:22 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
That's the PH I usually see on all of the "PH balanced" cleansers as well. I just wonder, is that really the best PH for a cleanser and if so, why? ie what's the scientific reasoning behind it. Why isn't a PH the same as water better, ya know?

Because it is closer to skins natural pH not water, our skin is more acidic than water! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Oh right, duh. Rolling Eyes lol. So does that mean a PH of around 6.5-7 is bad for our skin do you think?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:40 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Oh right, duh. Rolling Eyes lol. So does that mean a PH of around 6.5-7 is bad for our skin do you think?

Some say it is stripping as it is more alkaline, I have used more alkaline with no stripping but my skin is tough! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Interesting, thank you DM. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Interesting, thank you DM. Smile

I think it is best and safest to stick with a pH balanced cleanser especially with sensitive skin, you don't want to strip your skin! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I was under the impression that "pH balanced" didn't really mean anything, that it was more of a marketing tool.

I know that skin's pH is 5.5, but I've been reading about cleansers, and apparently, they need to be of a higher pH to break down the oil and dirt on the surface of your skin. But you don't want to use a cleanser of a pH higher than 5.5, because it will raise the pH of your skin.

From here:
Quote:
The pH level of most skin cleansers is slightly higher than 5.5, so the cleanser can break down dirt and oil on your skin.

I've used Earth Science Clarifying Facial Wash (pH 5.5) on my face, and I find that after a while, my facial skin feels really rough (like exfoliation isn't happening). Is that because the 5.5 pH is too low to get rid of all the dirt and it just builds up? Now I'm doing OCM which I like much more.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 am      Reply with quote
onmyboat wrote:
I was under the impression that "pH balanced" didn't really mean anything, that it was more of a marketing tool.

I know that skin's pH is 5.5, but I've been reading about cleansers, and apparently, they need to be of a higher pH to break down the oil and dirt on the surface of your skin. But you don't want to use a cleanser of a pH higher than 5.5, because it will raise the pH of your skin.

From here:
Quote:
The pH level of most skin cleansers is slightly higher than 5.5, so the cleanser can break down dirt and oil on your skin.

I've used Earth Science Clarifying Facial Wash (pH 5.5) on my face, and I find that after a while, my facial skin feels really rough (like exfoliation isn't happening). Is that because the 5.5 pH is too low to get rid of all the dirt and it just builds up? Now I'm doing OCM which I like much more.

I have read that site and others however some do disclose the actual pH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:09 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Hi EG,

You might find this a really worthwhile read:

http://heaneyl.hubpages.com/hub/Facial-Cleansers-Which-One-is-Right-for-Your-Skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I suppose then we have to also think about this: does rinsing with water after cleansing cause your skin to be at the PH of water rather than your cleanser?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:14 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I suppose then we have to also think about this: does rinsing with water after cleansing cause your skin to be at the PH of water rather than your cleanser?

Your skin will just naturally return to it's normal pH within 10-15 minutes, our body is designed to protect itself!

You have to use some very harsh and aggressive products to really damage the skins acid mantle!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Hi EG,

You might find this a really worthwhile read:

http://heaneyl.hubpages.com/hub/Facial-Cleansers-Which-One-is-Right-for-Your-Skin

Thanks DM! Smile
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:26 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

Your skin will just naturally return to it's normal pH within 10-15 minutes, our body is designed to protect itself!

You have to use some very harsh and aggressive products to really damage the skins acid mantle!

DM there's no need to yell. LOL joking. Laughing

Ok, well what if you put on your products like 5 minutes after washing. lol. I can't wait 10-15 because face gets pissy without moisturizer lol. I hope that's not bad to do. It's always products with niacinimide though which I think have same PH as skin.

I'm still laughing out loud because it seemed like you were yelling lmao.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

DM there's no need to yell. LOL joking. Laughing

Ok, well what if you put on your products like 5 minutes after washing. lol. I can't wait 10-15 because face gets pissy without moisturizer lol. I hope that's not bad to do. It's always products with niacinimide though which I think have same PH as skin.

I'm still laughing out loud because it seemed like you were yelling lmao.

LMAO not intended at all.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

That should be fine, I think we get too obsessed at times!
LAA and RA ect. really do need a wait time but most things in the same pH as skin are non issues as far as I see it. I don't wait on most serums I use. Smile

you are breaking my bad habit of too many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! marks! Bad Grin Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Still laughing. I'll never run out of questions DM. I always figure hey, maybe it keeps the forum fresh!!! Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:58 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Still laughing. I'll never run out of questions DM. I always figure hey, maybe it keeps the forum fresh!!! Laughing

You have that spot on, and I must say at least I did not Bold your name or type in all caps! Bad Grin Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am      Reply with quote
LOL. I just realized who this reminds me of: the golden girls. You're either Blanche or Dorothy and I'm Rose. LMAO!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
LOL. I just realized who this reminds me of: the golden girls. You're either Blanche or Dorothy and I'm Rose. LMAO!

Take a guess! Bad Grin Bad Grin

BTW I adore Rose, and Betty White, she is so funny, naughty, and sweet! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am      Reply with quote
If I had to pick I'd say Blanche. lmao. I love Betty White too. Very Happy

Back on topic, so what do you think about what onmyboat said about if 5.5 ph is actually too low to cleanse well.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
If I had to pick I'd say Blanche. lmao. I love Betty White too. Very Happy

Back on topic, so what do you think about what onmyboat said about if 5.5 ph is actually too low to cleanse well.

I agree with the following: Very Happy

When it comes to cleansers, look for products that are mild and have a pH of 5.5. Bar soaps normally have a high pH, around 9 to 10. This means that bar soap can change the pH of skin and promote overgrowth of certain types of bacteria which increase acne outbreaks and duration. Use alcohol-free toners to help restore the skin’s pH after cleansing. Avoid over washing as water has a pH of 7. Avoid cleansers with harsh chemicals as these cause major pH imbalances that are difficult to restore.

http://www.carefair.com/beauty/PH_Levels_in_your_Beauty_Products_5857.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 am      Reply with quote
pH balanced often means pH ~7 not necessarily 5.5. How gentle or harsh a cleanser is is a function of both the pH and the ingredients, there is a world of difference between using plain water at pH 7 and a sulphate surfactant foaming wash at pH 7. The acid mantle is basically a combination of sebum and sweat, so it is very easy to destroy it.

Not all skins sit around 5.5 the majority of the time, average pH tends to rise with age and with certain skin complaints. Similarly not all skin types are capable of 'resetting' the pH within 15 minutes or so. A cleanser does not need to be alkaline to be effective - oils can cleanse and they have no pH at all. AHAs and BHAs can be used to 'deep cleanse' and they have a low pH. The conditioner-only method for hair even cuts through a heavy oiling yet conditioners generally have an acid pH in order to close the cuticle.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you both.

Firefox, so how do you protect your skins acid mantle? And are there any cleansers you recommend?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Avoid or limit ingredients and pHs that strip or irritate the skin - anionic surfactants, traditional soaps, many acne fighters, excessive exfoliation, try to stick within the 4.5-6.5 pH range. I use a cheap but gentle lotion cleanser plus tap water and my sensitive skin has never been happier, but I can't source that now so am on the hunt for a replacement! Rolling Eyes

You might try CeraVe, the Oil Cleansing Method with an emulsifier added or a foaming wash based on cocoamidopropyl betaine. Depends on your skin type and what you are needing to remove at the end of the day - how much pollution, sunscreen, longwear make up.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |