Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

OPI and Formaldyhyde
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Just read that my favourite nail lacquer, OPI which has formaldyhyde in it, could possibly be carcinogenic and that's it's banned in some countries?!

Anyone know of an alternative nail lacquer that's as good as OPI?

Thanks
MsJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I didn't know that about OPI, thanks for letting us know. Lancome has good quality nail polish, I still have mine from 8 years ago and they are still good as new, YSL on the other hand has very short shelf life.
captain lola
5% products discount

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Well that seems to explain all of the OPI discount sales I've been seeing...Where did you hear about this?

Iman makes a very good product, but I'm using Rimmel as I'm in love with colour #391 - Celebrity Bash.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Some of the bottles have 'contains formaldehyde' on them. I've just read about what formaldehyde is, used for preserving bodies and also OPI!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
the manacurist at my hairdresser swears by zoya. I don't use colour, just for special occassions
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Depending on where you are sarahb, and Im sure you told me last night, are you in the UK? If so, log onto QVCUK.com and they have some great brand, Nails inc, Special FX, Supanails to name a few and of course they have a 30 day money back gurantee so you can try and if you dont like just return it.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Oh! That's really surprising to hear as here in Australia on the shopping channel TVSN, they have whole shows, hundreds of them, lol.. devoted to selling OPI nail lacquers and products and the importer's daughter is the lady who does all the demonstrations and she has been very specific about it NOT having formaldehyde and told the story about it's illegality issues.
Maybe it did years ago and not any more? Hope not anyway!
Diva.
5% products discount

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any new articles on this??

I would like to read them if there are..

Ive got a whole bathroom shelf full of them... Shock
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:46 am      Reply with quote
everything is bad for you Laughing these monitors give off radiation!

My mum loves OPI and has lots of bottles but like Channel better for staying - have no idea about the formaldehyde content. Lots of salons in the UK use the Jessica brand.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Glow.com has the ingredients in OPI nail lacquer listed and it's...

Ingredients: Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Nitrocellulose, Ethyl Acetate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Dibutyl Phthalate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Camphor, Benzophenone-1, CI 77891, CI 155850:1, CI 77163, CI 77019, CI 15850:1

Formaldehyde is a carcinogen linked to lung and nasal cancer. Ingestion of it can be fatal and long term exposure can cause asthma and skin irritations and it's right there in nail lacquer!

Many of our modern day skin allergies, breathing problems and cancers are caused by the products we use to make our lives easier!
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Sad

Bummer!! I LOVE my OPI nail polishes and have a whole collection of pretty colours. I rarely wear them on my fingers - mostly on my toes during summer.

Thank you for posting the warning. I will look at experimenting with some other brands.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I don’t know if Essie polishes contain Formaldyhyde, but I’m beginning to love Essie polishes even more than OPI!! IMO, the only problem with Essie is that they don’t have as many “bold” (bright) color choices as OPI – the Essie line consists primarily of pastels/nudes/neutrals, although the do have a few shades in the dark red, brown and/or burgundy family. I have over 30 different shades of OPI, but in the last month of been buying Essie colors almost exclusively...I’ve found that they go on more smoothly, there’s less chance of streaking or “bubbling” and the Essie polishes don’t start to get thick and gloppy after a while. All in all, I think Essie has replaced my beloved OPI as my holy grail nail polish!! BTW, if you’re looking for a superb fast-drying topcoat with lots of shine, I highly recommend Seche Vite or Poshe – for more info, see my posts under this topic: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5607&highlight=seche+vite

HTH,
Carrie
Izzigvk

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Essie nail polish is great. They have tons of colors and if you like that very clean natural pink. Try Ballet Slipppers or Sugar Daddy. Love them!

Izzi
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |