Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Suggestions for good bases for semi-DIY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
I have added Astaxanthin to a few ready made creams in the past and it is very orange straight from the gel cap, but it mixed like a dream just using a simple plastic cosmetic spatula! My cream did have a pretty peach color but that was not noticeable on my skin. Smile

regarding astaxanthin, if the gel caps is 4mg or even 10 mg astaxanthin, its almost colorless but if its v bright red/orange, then coloring has been added to the gel cap.. I just recently found this out!

Interesting Daler,

Oh well it sure was pretty! Laughing I will have to check any from now on, I got mine at a health food store? hmm

yes, just read the " other ingredients" and you may very well see the coloring, I believe it's name started with a " c" ...

This was quite a while ago and I usually do check for any additives, but I may have let that one slip!

Maybe Carmine....ground red beetles? Shock

yes yes Carmine! ewww! but may be its better than the artificial colors...

Carmine is common in non-vegan lipstick for that nice red color, and I think it is in some foods! YUCK is right! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
Is carmine really any more disgusting than natural hyaluronic acid/ collagen/ gelatin, emu oil or (my favourite) lanolin? Question

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Is carmine really any more disgusting than natural hyaluronic acid/ collagen/ gelatin, emu oil or (my favourite) lanolin? Question

well it's the insect thing.... I would eat chicken but no beetles!
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Now if you were my DH ( who will be home in a minute which is why I may be absent from here for a bit Laughing Rolling Eyes Bad Grin )

you would say that that little insect would be good food in an emergency Bad Grin

He has been to some very Bad countries Rolling Eyes Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Chances are we're better off eating those 'apple stem cells', but as requested, here's my contribution.

I hunted and hunted till I found the perfect product to use as a base. It's cheap, but has an impressive ingredient list that I love.

Andalou Fruit Stem Cell Night Repair (1.70oz @ $16.19 U.S.);
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/buy/products/63203-andalou-naturals-fruit-stem-cell-night-repair-cream-1-7-oz.html

Ingredients:
Aloe Barbadensis Juice*, Aqua, Vegetable Glycerin, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Polysorbate 60, Cetearyl Alcohol, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil*, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-3, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Malus Domestica (Apple), Solar Vitis (Grape) and Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Fruit Stem Cell Cultures and BioActive 8 Berry Complex*, Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Resveratrol, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Linum Usitatissimum (Flax) Oil*, Hyaluronic Acid, Borago Officinalis (Borage), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) and Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Oils*, Olive Squalane, Fagus Sylvatica (Beech) Extract, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil*,Camellia Sinensis (White Tea), Aspalathus Linearis (Rooibos), and Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis Extracts*†, Allantoin, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Butter, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Extract

I added/increased;

- 2% CoQ10
- 2% Fruit Extract (from Lotioncrafter)
- 3% Malus Domestica (Apple) 2 to 5% recommended (eh Neutral )
- 5% Matrixyl3000 (3 to 8% recommended)
- 2% Meadowfoam Seed Oil
- 1% DMI
- 2% Pumpkin Seed Extract
- Couple drops Germaben 2 (preservative)

1.) CoQ10 into the oil that I heat gently

2.) Everything else into a TBS distilled water, stirring each addition in well

3.) Put 1 and 2 together, blend well, put in container of your choice.

Makes just about 2oz. I put mine in 1oz airless pump containers. Here's what it looks like.

**NOTE** The addition of CoQ10 is what turned the serum yellow!

The retail cream has an insignificant amount of co q 10, so it is white... (You'll find that is the case for most retail products, whether they are $20. or $200.) If your product isn't yellow/orange, you got punked... Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Love it! Smile
And the price can not be beat!

Thanks so much!
I Semi-DIY

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Love it! Smile

Thanks so much!
I Semi-DIY

You're welcome 'erg', I love it too! Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
erg wrote:
Love it! Smile

Thanks so much!
I Semi-DIY

It looks divine Kassy,

Not just good enough to use but good enough to eat! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
erg wrote:
Love it! Smile

Thanks so much!
I Semi-DIY

It looks divine Kassy,

LOL! One of the grandkids were here when I whipped it up, and he thought I was making banana pudding.. Laughing

Turns out I'm really enjoying this lotion.. Sinks in quickly and thoroughly. (The cream as purchased was too thick for my taste.)

Nice ingredients for sure.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
erg wrote:
Love it! Smile

Thanks so much!
I Semi-DIY

It looks divine Kassy,

LOL! One of the grandkids were here when I whipped it up, and he thought I was making banana pudding.. Laughing

Turns out I'm really enjoying this lotion.. Sinks in quickly and thoroughly. (The cream as purchased was too thick for my taste.)

Nice ingredients for sure.

That is just too cute about your grand son!

I love the looks (of the ingredients) I will have to give it a whirl once I do another order for supplies! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

well it's the insect thing.... I would eat chicken but no beetles!

Laughing Fair enough! I'm creeped out a little by emu oil but not lanolin, which is seriously illogical.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am      Reply with quote
No I don't think that's weird. Lanolin from sheep's wool has been around forever (my mother used to have a bottle of a lanolin ointment for chillblains) and the sheep are sheared anyways. Emu oil is from the slaughtered animal, but then again, people in the old days used lard and whale fat in skin care.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
No I don't think that's weird. Lanolin from sheep's wool has been around forever (my mother used to have a bottle of a lanolin ointment for chillblains) and the sheep are sheared anyways. Emu oil is from the slaughtered animal, but then again, people in the old days used lard and whale fat in skin care.

True lotus and people do eat Emu meat, they are farmed for the purpose so the oil is a use for what would just be tossed otherwise. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

I just love DIY people! They don't like the crap that is in ready-made products, but they don't tell us, lazy non-DIYers, where to get products without that crap Very Happy

fawnie, I tried DIY a couple of times and it simply does not work for me. I don't even understand when someone says "add HA1% 60-70% to water." It is foreign language to me Very Happy I do believe that ready-made products may contain some nasty ingredients which better to avoid, but DIYing is not an option for me, so what am I left with?

Sunshine, I can tell you exactly where to get the stuff without the crap in it.

What are you left with? Do you really want me to answer? Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Just buy a base cream and actives, find a solubility chart so you'll know what to use to dissolve your dry ingredients and add and stir. Maybe try a kit first, so you'll get a good product and learn a lot along the way.

Skin Actives has base creams. But your own regular moisturizer that has nothing in it that you're allergic to can do just as well. If things get too runny, maybe a little lecithine or gel maker is nice to have on hand to fix it.

Just play!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Just buy a base cream and actives, find a solubility chart so you'll know what to use to dissolve your dry ingredients and add and stir. Maybe try a kit first, so you'll get a good product and learn a lot along the way.

Skin Actives has base creams. But your own regular moisturizer that has nothing in it that you're allergic to can do just as well. If things get too runny, maybe a little lecithine or gel maker is nice to have on hand to fix it.

Just play!

I love that lotus "Just Play" that is what we all need to remember! Smile

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 am      Reply with quote
HI, regarding aspen the natural preservative, is this the same that Formulator sample shop sells or is this from somewhere else. I called the manufacturer of aspen bark and they said for me to go to formulator sample shop?
i am trying to obtain this ingredient.
thaank you

erg wrote:
I love semi-DIY. Many of us take a ready made product and tweak it out with a few ingredients to make it more effective.

Check these out:

Rainwater Botanicals Nourishing Facial Cream with Carrot and Pumpkin Ingredients: Distilled Water, Organic Aloe, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Organic Geranium Water, Organic Rose Water, Organic Lavender Water, Wild Shea Butter, Organic Helichrysum Extract, Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil, Vegetable glycerin, Organic Plum Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Aspen Bark Extract(natural preservative), Carrot Seed Oil, Olive Squalane, Rosemary Extract, Lactic Acid, Essential Oils of Rose, Carrot, and Helichrysum, Organic MSM(organic sulfur compound)

Garden of Wisdon Enhanced Calendula Cream Ingredients: Liposome Base (soy based), Calendula Hydrosol, Calendula Blossom Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Tamarind Fermentation, Calendula Infused Oil, Sunflower Oil, Ceremides

What bases do you guys use?
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:52 am      Reply with quote
cos4me wrote:
HI, regarding aspen the natural preservative, is this the same that Formulator sample shop sells or is this from somewhere else. I called the manufacturer of aspen bark and they said for me to go to formulator sample shop?
i am trying to obtain this ingredient.
thaank you

erg wrote:
I love semi-DIY. Many of us take a ready made product and tweak it out with a few ingredients to make it more effective.

Check these out:

Rainwater Botanicals Nourishing Facial Cream with Carrot and Pumpkin Ingredients: Distilled Water, Organic Aloe, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Organic Geranium Water, Organic Rose Water, Organic Lavender Water, Wild Shea Butter, Organic Helichrysum Extract, Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil, Vegetable glycerin, Organic Plum Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Aspen Bark Extract(natural preservative), Carrot Seed Oil, Olive Squalane, Rosemary Extract, Lactic Acid, Essential Oils of Rose, Carrot, and Helichrysum, Organic MSM(organic sulfur compound)

Garden of Wisdon Enhanced Calendula Cream Ingredients: Liposome Base (soy based), Calendula Hydrosol, Calendula Blossom Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Tamarind Fermentation, Calendula Infused Oil, Sunflower Oil, Ceremides

What bases do you guys use?

These products listed above are sold by a small skincare company. From what I understand they do not sell individual actives.

5% products discount

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
How are people liking this? It may be my first DIY-semi!
I just read the book Walking Papers about the fellow that founded Clark Botanicals. His stem cell apple lotion sells for $355.00 an oz..

I an undertanding that the Coenzyme gets dissolved into the warmed lotion base, yes?
The rest in water...
Then all together !
Thanks again.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |