Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Mineral Oil: non-comedogenic or pore clogging hell?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dietgrrl
5% products discount

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been reading about mineral oil lately and have come across a lot of seemingly contradictory information on EDS and the web about it. Many sites say that mineral oil does not react with the skin and is a 0 in terms of comedogenicity (i.e. it does not cause comedones). Other sites say that mineral oil is a "known pore clogger" (that exact phrase has come up a couple times) and there are a lot of people claiming to get acne from using products with even the minutest amount of mineral oil them.

The reason I'm looking into this is because I've been dealing with some acne over the last two months (pustules (cystic?) and a ton of clogged pores/milia) and I'm trying to figure out what caused it. I suspect that it might be from wearing sunscreen daily (BurnOut zinc SPF 30) and/or using Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil nightly (main ingredient is mineral oil). [Or, it could be something else entirely: over-exfoliation from AHAs or Clarisonic, or a Mario Badescu masque, or a possibly expired organic masque from Juice Beauty, or a reaction to a Vitamin C+E serum....sigh, I use(d) way too may products.]

What's your take on mineral oil? Have you had good or bad or neutral experiences with it? Is comedogenicity different from a product's ability to cause clogged pores?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I think its a YMMV type of ingredient. I am acne prone and can use mineral oil without issues.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 am      Reply with quote
This is only my personal experience with mineral oil. I suffer from occasional break outs. I have extremely sensitive skin and have to be careful with many products and ingredients. Mineral oil does not bother me in any way. It does not clog my pores nor cause me to break out.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Mineral oil doesn't bother me physically, but mentally I can't be ok with using petroleum by-products on my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I've never seen any solid evidence mineral oil is comedogenic for the general population, but I limit it as a petroleum by product and because it does not 'nourish' skin as certain natural lipids or waxes can. A major problem with assessing mineral oil is it is used is many commercial products which are chemical soups. There is every chance accompanying irritation or clogging is caused by another ingredient: chemical sunscreen, preservative, emulsifier or fragrance. Or by a combination of products, ingredients, gadgets, techniques and lifestyle factors. Confused Silicones are known to be comedogenic in susceptible individuals, do you have those in your routine? Suffix: -cone, -conol, -xane.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
Mineral oil doesn't bother me physically, but mentally I can't be ok with using petroleum by-products on my skin.

I feel the same Laura, it is a cheap by product of petroleum production which has no real use so the cosmetic companies buy it really inexpensively and charge us an arm and a leg for it! Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
LauraLizzie wrote:

I feel the same Laura, it is a cheap by product of petroleum production which has no real use so the cosmetic companies buy it really inexpensively and charge us an arm and a leg for it! Rolling Eyes

I feel the same way but probably even more so because I know my skin can not stand it! Especially when the formula also has shea and cocoa butter in, its like a breakout trifecta for me!
Ive found my skin must like to breathe which mineral oil creates a coating/barrier over ones skin most of the time.

The only time I use it is cold cream to take my makeup off with a wash cloth after one too many wines Cool
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
teago wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
LauraLizzie wrote:

I feel the same way but probably even more so because I know my skin can not stand it! Especially when the formula also has shea and cocoa butter in, its like a breakout trifecta for me!
Ive found my skin must like to breathe which mineral oil creates a coating/barrier over ones skin most of the time.

The only time I use it is cold cream to take my makeup off with a wash cloth after one too many wines Cool

I can just imagine, I am blessed to never have had breakouts!

One kid out of 4 had a terrible time with acne so I empathize! Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I never had a problem with mineral oil.

However, I think that they are better oils. It seems like companies frequently use it because it's so cheap.
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:

I feel the same. I just can't get past it and it just makes me think "ick." I don't want that on my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |