Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
problem
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
foxyroxy

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Hello! I'm new here so I will introduce myself before I ask my question. My name is Michelle. I'm 21 and a student at Penn State.

I have a problem. No matter what product I use (right now I'm using Cetphil Cleanser for Normal to Oily skin) to cleanse my skin approx. 2 hours later it's shiny, very greasy and the pores especially on my nose look like they haven't been cleaned at all. What can I do?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi Michelle and welcome Smile
I can't offer personal advice, but, check out the post marked Jane iredale (or it may be JI) absence, a few posts down a I write...supposed to be amazing, but no doubt that carekate will help as she has simelar skin type.
One thing I will say though, is be carefull about stripping the skin...the more oil you take away the more the skin makes it's own, that is why stuff like jojoba oil is supposed to be good for oily skin, paradoxical as it may seem
Liz Cool

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:49 am      Reply with quote
so what kinds of products should I try?
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I'm bumping this so someone better can advise Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:40 am      Reply with quote
you could try an anti-sine treatment. Decleor makes an anti-shine which is nice, but like guapa said, the absense would probably get rid of the shine for you.

I personally wasn't a fan of the cetaphil cleanser, it also made me shiney! My skin is more combination/dry now so I'm not quite sure what to suggest.

I know everyone on here will give you some good suggestions, just give them some time. Also with your next post try to make the title more specific, you'll get more people with the same interest looking and responding.
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Foxyroxy, Im asking similar questions for a friend of mine, she's so oily even her eyelids are oily too. Carekate has recommended a mask of Milk of Magnesia to try and control the oil. Shes trying it out. shes tried alot of anti shine products to no avail. Shes tried so much, it must be a really frustrating problem and I sympathise with you. Of course it could be a hormonal problem or it could be as a result of any medication, contraceptive for example or even your diet. Have you tried your local GP for any advice. Mabsy, everyones hero on this site, has recommended some mud masks for Joanne so Im going to look for some on here for her. Maybe try a few treatments first as opposed to layering your skin up with new products.
leaffie
5% products discount

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
hello foxyroxy..
i also used to use cetaphil and found that it did not help me very much with oil control. Now, i use avene cleanance thermal water cleanser and find that it's much better. I also have oily skin and this works for me but my sister who has combo skin find it slightly drying.. my advice is to see if you can get a sample at your local shopper's drug mart and try it for yourself..

hope this helps!!
leaffie
Allicsirp
5% products discount

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem, but over the years I just had to try different things. I often got so tired of it that I would use straight rubbing alcohol as an astringent...DON'T DO
THAT! I found out that that was the wrong thing to do. I don't know that I ever found anything over the years that really stopped it...I guess you could say that I've "outgrown" the worst of it since I am now 48 years old. But I am thankful for the oiliness now that I am older because I am not quite as wrinkled as say my mother was at this age. She has very dry skin.

Have you ever tried those little tissue blotters? Those are good to have on hand and you won't have to redo your makeup when you use them. Also, try a loose powder, it isn't as clogging to the pores.
Mabsy

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I can't offer advice based on personal experience as I don't have the same problem. However, looking at the posts in the last few weeks it seems that some are having *really* good results with Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil which is for oily skins and is supposed to normalise oil production. On top of that, I have also read some great things about Jane Iredale Absence. Have a look at these two posts and see if you think this is something that you might want to try.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4323
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4523

HTH
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Welcome aboard, Michelle!

I hope I’m not too late in responding to your cry for help – my condolences on being saddled with this skin type! About the only upside to have greasy skin is the fact that when you get to be my age (36), you’ll likely have nary a line or wrinkle on your face!! As GuapaGirl said in her post, my skin type is very similar to yours: über oily, with some enlarged pores.

The very first products I recommend that you try are Decleor’s Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil and their Hydramat Regulating Fluid. These are absolute must-haves – they have completely turned my face, formerly known as the grease-pit, around!! You might want to read both of these threads to learn more tricks and/or products for dealing with oily skin: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4323 and http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4523

After you’ve read them, if you have any other questions or need more info, feel free to PM me or post a reply here and I’ll try to help you out as best I can.

Carrie
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:33 am      Reply with quote
A quick update on my friends very oily skin. The Milk of Magnesia didnt really help her, but hey, she tried. Mabsy recommended she try a mud mask so I told her to get the Ahava one, and she also got the Dermalogica gentle exfoliating cream. Unfortunately she got the wrong Ahava product, her fault, so she got 2 exfoliators instead. Not much change to her skin but she has been using Dr Perricone's cleanser and also Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion and she said she cant believe the difference. Some days she not having to blott her skin at all and the others its less frequent. Its not much but it is some hope.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Cindi -

I’m sorry the MoM didn’t help her...did she at least have to blot less throughout the day when she applied the MoM before putting on her makeup?? I can’t believe it didn’t work! But I stand by my recommendation that your pal also try the Decleor Ylang Ylang and Regulating Fluid. These two products have attained holy grail status for me and my greasy face!! The stuff is pricey, so it’d probably be best if she could get samples to try first. If she’s not able to locate an obliging Decleor “sample fairy” over there, I’d be happy to cage samples from Sephora next time I’m there and mail them to you/her – just PM me if you need it.

Carrie
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Carrie, Ive just read your email out to her and she was sooo touched. She said what a wonderful girl you are. She has tried ylang ylnag before and she thinks she may have some already. There is no one nearby to get samples from for Decleor but she is going to New York in May and can always try and get some from Sephora then. I'll have to get a list ready for myself too...
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Michelle, Since you are so young you should perhaps try Clinac O.C. Oil Control Gel. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know dermatologists recommend it most highly. It is inexpensive (compaired to Peter Thomas Roth and other brands) at about 16.00 USD.
I believe you can purchase it in any drug store, but you may have to ask for it as it is usually kept behind the counter. I know they have it on-line at:
http://www.dermatologistrx.com
Also, Make up Artists Choice makes "Professional Shine Control SuperMatte Antishine™ " available at:
http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/shinecontrol.htm
I have used it and it will suck the living daylights out of your oily skin!!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |