Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Do you think a hand mixer/blender is necessary?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking about getting a hand mixer/blender as well. Would it be good to have one for DIY? I imagine there are things that are tough to mix without one...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a hand mixer/blender as well. Would it be good to have one for DIY? I imagine there are things that are tough to mix without one...

It does come in handy for some recipes that can be a PIA to mix by hand.

Can I offer a bit of "motherly" advice EG?

I know it is tempting to try and DIY everything right off the bat, but I have seen where people get so caught up in this and order everything under the sun only to get their order and feel overwhelmed!

Pick 1 or 2 recipes to start out and get those down, then add more once you are comfortable working with making your own. Smile

You can toss my advice if you want, I would not feel offended. It is just my thoughts on "getting your feet wet" before finding yourself sitting with a huge order and thinking WTH am I supposed to do with all of this stuff?

Smile Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:39 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

For thick formulas like sunscreen you will need the most powerful blender you can find. I use a Bamix but some use a handheld drill with a special attachment for high shear blending.

For thin serums like KNN I use a wire whip and mix it by hand. Some use a latte frother, but *duh* it produces a frothy serum and I dont like that.

Like DM sez, start small with something like an AA2G (vitamin C that is stable to heat and light) serum that is simple to make and go from there. KinNiaNag serum is a bit trickier but still doable. Lots of ppl to help you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DM. I really appreciate your advice! Argh, I'm just trying to get everything I'd need in one go so I don't have to order again because the damn shipping is so expensive and I'm having to order from several places! It's like 25-30 shipping for each place so I'd end up paying almost 100 bucks in shipping damnit. No one place has everything I need. For example, I could get algae extract off thepersonalformulater, yet the shipping alone is like 25 dollars. Shock But I don't have a choice if I want that algae extract. Sad And that's probably the only thing I'd get from there!

I've put SO much work into researching. But there are only 3 things I want to make. I want to add glucosamine and niacinimide in my cream, Kassy's antioxidant spritz, and *possibly* a C serum. That's it. But not all at once. Probably only the spritz to start. I still need all these supplies though because I have nothing! I just wasn't sure if I should throw a mixer in my cart or not.

Thanks fawnie. Do you use a little wire whisk? I think kitchen ones might be too big. I think I saw some little ones on lotioncrafter. I could just get a little whisk!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:53 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thanks DM. I really appreciate your advice! Argh, I'm just trying to get everything I'd need in one go so I don't have to order again because the damn shipping is so expensive and I'm having to order from several places! It's like 25-30 shipping for each place so I'd end up paying almost 100 bucks in shipping damnit. No one place has everything I need. For example, I could get algae extract off thepersonalformulater, yet the shipping alone is like 25 dollars. Shock But I don't have a choice if I want that algae extract. Sad And that's probably the only thing I'd get from there!

I've put SO much work into researching. But there are only 3 things I want to make. I want to add glucosamine and niacinimide in my cream, Kassy's antioxidant spritz, and *possibly* a C serum. That's it. But not all at once. Probably only the spritz to start. I still need all these supplies though because I have nothing! I just wasn't sure if I should throw a mixer in my cart or not.

Thanks fawnie. Do you use a little wire whisk? I think kitchen ones might be too big. I think I saw some little ones on lotioncrafter. I could just get a little whisk!

I hear you, I sometimes forget the shipping for you in Canada is insane.

I have even bought small whisks at a cooking supply or the cooking section of large chain stores.

I have a few of the small blenders and I just allow my serum to settle out any bubbles, I do not use it for LAA, my thinking adding air-oxygen is not what I want just oxidizes it quicker. That is my nutty thinking, plus it mixes easily without! Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DM. Do you use your hand mixer much? For serums and such? I saw a diyer's blog where she was like "note to self: get a hand mixer!" so I thought it'd be worth getting one. You're right about adding air to LAA serum. I just read a post from someone on diff. forum saying it wasn't good to add air!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:13 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thanks DM. Do you use your hand mixer much? For serums and such? I saw a diyer's blog where she was like "note to self: get a hand mixer!" so I thought it'd be worth getting one. You're right about adding air to LAA serum. I just read a post from someone on diff. forum saying it wasn't good to add air!

I do use it a lot, it does a great job of fully mixing and I find it is very easy to use. I bought some at Lotioncrafters a while back, not too pricey!

I have a few because I also mix up lip glosses and balms and it is a dream for that!

Oxidize comes from oxygen, so the less exposure to air the better in my book! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DM! I think I'll get one. Smile Then I won't regret not getting it. The lotioncrafters one is what I was going to get. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thanks DM! I think I'll get one. Smile Then I won't regret not getting it. The lotioncrafters one is what I was going to get. Smile

I did without for a while, then just had to try one and never regretted buying it! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
egyptiangoddess wrote:

It does come in handy for some recipes that can be a PIA to mix by hand.

Can I offer a bit of "motherly" advice EG?

I know it is tempting to try and DIY everything right off the bat, but I have seen where people get so caught up in this and order everything under the sun only to get their order and feel overwhelmed!

Pick 1 or 2 recipes to start out and get those down, then add more once you are comfortable working with making your own. Smile

You can toss my advice if you want, I would not feel offended. It is just my thoughts on "getting your feet wet" before finding yourself sitting with a huge order and thinking WTH am I supposed to do with all of this stuff?

Smile Smile

Lord have mercy! I couldn't agree more with this sage advice... Laughing

EG; you remind me of myself when I got the DIY bug years ago. I ordered everything under the sun, my orders came in, and I sat there happily unpacking all of it... Then, reality set in and I was completely overwhelmed and couldn't remember any of my good intentions Shock

I read many of your question threads, and hope you have made a little notebook for yourself, or you'll be driven crazy trying to track it all down...

Maybe you should start a thread like; *DIY question for newbie's*.. At least you can have it all under one roof (so to speak)... Idea

If I knew then what I know now, I would pick 2 or 3 great actives, and know them to death before moving on.

You will also learn (probably the hard way) that when all is said and done, there are about 8 great active/ingredients (only) that are worth your time, money & effort.

Simply MHO ... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy. Smile I'm just trying to save on shipping. It's expensive to Canada so it's cheaper if I can get anything I might need in the future, now. I'm not trying to order everything under the sun. I just need to try to save on the shipping costs.

What are the 8 actives/ingredients you're talking about? Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |